Philly to use undercover officers to deter Eagles fans

Eagles Getty Images

After news emerged of three of four playoff teams facing blackouts this weekend, we received a text message from the Eagles:  “FYI.  We sold out in Philly.”

But that doesn’t mean the Eagles have no problems as they prepare to host the Saints.  Apart from clearing the stadium of any of the stuff that can be mashed into a ball and thrown at Sean Payton, Drew Brees, and/or Santa Claus, the authorities are concerned about Eagles fans mashing the faces of Saints fans with fists.

Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports that undercover officers will attend the game in Saints gear, as a deterrent to those who may be inclined to create mayhem.  Last month, a Lions fan wearing a Barry Sanders jersey was beaten up by Eagles fans after a game the home team won.

The use of undercover officers has increased in recent years, with teams like the Seahawks and 49ers regularly alerting fans to the possibility that fans in the road team’s colors may be carrying guns and badges.  On one hand, it’s good that the NFL and local law enforcement have taken these steps.

On the other hand, it’s a shame that they have to do it.

Permalink 87 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
87 Responses to “Philly to use undercover officers to deter Eagles fans”
  1. redfield11 says: Jan 3, 2014 11:54 AM

God, eagles fans…

2. indytom87 says: Jan 3, 2014 11:55 AM

Please. The Philly fans will throw snowballs at the undercover officers too.

3. bighandssmallfeet says: Jan 3, 2014 12:00 PM

I am pretty sure they do this at all stadiums. Just always is blown out at Philly. Media cracks me up. Go Birds!!!

4. justintuckrule says: Jan 3, 2014 12:01 PM

Yeah….a lot of good that will do. They score one TD and sing that dopey song of theirs, that undercover cop will be made in two seconds.

5. metrocritical says: Jan 3, 2014 12:05 PM

6. mybrunoblog says: Jan 3, 2014 12:05 PM

Florio makes a good point. Undercover law enforcement at sporting events is commonplace these days. The fact that it’s the Eagles just gives everyone a chance to bash Philadelphia.

7. xxsweepthelegxx says: Jan 3, 2014 12:05 PM

I can hear it now down at the precinct:

Captain: “Hey rookie, Here’s a Jimmy Graham jersey….put in on and meet me at the stadium Saturday night. And dress warm.”

Those poor guys….

8. igglenapa says: Jan 3, 2014 12:08 PM

news flash people… I’m a Philly Guy in the land of “wine and cheese” fans and I have heard of at least 3 stabbings in the bay area and I have only lived here for 2 years. It happens everywhere; Philly just gets the bad wrap. Trust me when I say Oakland is a lot scarier than Philly!

9. boisestatewhodat says: Jan 3, 2014 12:09 PM

It doesn’t happen at all stadiums…you’d never hear of this in New Orleans…fans from the opposing team love going there because Saints fans are so welcoming. This game won’t even be close…Saints by more than 10!

10. beretta96d says: Jan 3, 2014 12:12 PM

Yeah, then in another article there are questions and fears about blackouts and needing sponsors to pick up the extra tickets.

Ticket prices, parking, refreshments and food are through the roof, coupled with the fact you risk violence to yourself for wearing an oponent’s jersey.

Sign me up!

11. therealraider says: Jan 3, 2014 12:12 PM

Off duty police officers make up a portion of the Rowdy fans of Philly.

12. steelerben says: Jan 3, 2014 12:12 PM

There have been articles about the same being done in San Francisco and Seattle, too.

I like to bag on Philly fans as much as the next guy, but idiots getting drunk and behaving dangerously and foolishly isn’t a localized phenomenon.

13. eglsfan says: Jan 3, 2014 12:13 PM

Now wait my bad, you did mention Santa Claus…..

14. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Jan 3, 2014 12:13 PM

Notice how this doesn’t happen at Heinz Field?

15. musicman495 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:15 PM

I am hoping the Eagles lose just so we do not have to hear from Sal Paolantonio again until the Eagles draft next May.

16. baddegg says: Jan 3, 2014 12:15 PM

Geeze.

Why do you have to physically harm fans of the opposing team?

Losers.

17. nfloracle says: Jan 3, 2014 12:15 PM

That’s another thing I like about my man cave and widescreen TV… sitting there with a big tub of hot popcorn and a icy cold beer, I don’t have to worry about drunken idiots looking for a fight if I’m rooting for the team they don’t like.

18. staffordsyear says: Jan 3, 2014 12:18 PM

How sad that it has to come to this all because eagles fans have to act like a bunch of juveniles.

How embarrassing for the eagles fans that act decent and have some class at these games.

19. frank booth says: Jan 3, 2014 12:20 PM

Yeah, this stuff happens at a lot of stadiums. It’s just that the bad attitude of Philly fans is more of the norm there than the exception. It extends to the Flyers and Phillies fans as well.

It’s not the media that creates it- it’s the Philadelphia fans themselves.

20. Youknowimright says: Jan 3, 2014 12:22 PM

Figures

21. zam0854 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:22 PM

This literally happens at every stadium. I’d rather be at a Philly game, being portrayed as having “poor sportsmanship” then in Buffalo, Baltimore, Houston, Dallas, or Oakland where you need to worry about a fan falling off the upper deck onto you, or fans attempting suicide from the upper deck (raiders have it bad), fans following you home and pulling into your driveway to snap pictures and harass you.

Yet a drunk Santa from the opposing team runs onto the field and gets pegged with snowballs is when we draw the line?!???

#PhillyPhanatics

22. boisestatewhodat says: Jan 3, 2014 12:23 PM

Saints 27
    Eagles 13

23. mungman69 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:24 PM

I guess you have never been to New Orleans if you say nothing bad happens at Saint games.

24. richiebburg says: Jan 3, 2014 12:24 PM

Least obnoxious fans

In order

1. Indianapolis
    2. Jacksonville
    3. Arizona
    4. San Diego
    5. Tennessee

25. norcalmafia says: Jan 3, 2014 12:25 PM

What is this San Fransisco?

26. wwwmattcom says: Jan 3, 2014 12:25 PM

Pathetic

27. domeinate says: Jan 3, 2014 12:27 PM

I have never seen a Saints fan give another team anything but a good-natured ribbing. We have lots of guests here and it serves no purpose to intimidate them–proves nothing. Some fan’s identities are too wrapped up in their team’s success or failures. Be a fan and a human being.

28. r8rsfan says: Jan 3, 2014 12:28 PM

Wouldn’t it be better to have uniformed officers to DETER the behavior rather than spy’s sneaking around trying to catch offenders. Oh wait, you can’t write a ticket and collect fines without allowing the offense to happen. All about the money in the U$A.

29. dalfanforever says: Jan 3, 2014 12:30 PM

Some stories just tell themselves.

30. thealmightybigblue says: Jan 3, 2014 12:31 PM

The eagles…nuff said lol I’m looking forward to watching who dat nation Bounce the eagles outta the place and continue their long drought with out an Nfl championship of some type.

31. phillysports1 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:32 PM

I’ve been to plenty of Eagles/Flyers/Phillies/Sixers games over the past 15 years here in Philly . I do believe that our drunk Philly fans don’t know how to keep their cool after games, makes you want undercover everywhere . Just for the safety of our children at games and etc .
    Especially when NY Mets come to town to play the Phils. …

32. skippynj says: Jan 3, 2014 12:32 PM

Please, I’m so tired of hearing how tough the Philly fans are. They’re just frustrated football ignorant bullies who never win. I’ll be at the game with my Brees jersey on and if anyone confronts me I’ll do what you always do to bullies-punch them in the nose and watch them whine and cry and run away. Saints 27 beagles 16.

33. beils3 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:33 PM

I am so sick and tired of the national media making Philadelphia fans look so bad. Sure we have some idiots that get drunk and don’t know how to show class but the majority of Eagles fans just passionately love there team and stand by then through it all. That is why we sell out in minutes and everyone else is still waiting to see if there fans will step up. I am very proud to call myself an eagles fan and it’s about time we get the respect we deserve. Go Eagles!!! Fly Eagles Fly!!!

34. strongmackn says: Jan 3, 2014 12:34 PM

Id like to know how often these undercover cops go along with the melee til its time to make an arrest and make some money.

35. theanswer0381 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:35 PM

People shouldnt attend games in the road teams gear. And if a guys drunk he will start a fight regardless of consequences. The people that start these fights are too wasted to know whats going on.

36. blakeden says: Jan 3, 2014 12:35 PM

And the NFL wonders why they can’t sell out games. Cost, Safety, Better experience sitting at home with friends…..30 pack of beer $19.00 2-Hot dogs .89… No line to pee priceless

37. zam0854 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:39 PM

Funny that most of the comments are coming from the fans of teams not participating in this weekends football games. The games this weekend in the NFL are playoff games. Say it with me Tomlin, PLAYOFFS!

Eagles 31
    Saints 21

38. phillysports1 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:41 PM

But what’s annoying is that half of you guys criticizing us as bad fans don’t even know what it’s like to be in our stadiums .
    Stop wasting your time lol Just because you hate our team don’t take it out in our fans . NFC EAST DIVISION CHAMPS !

39. cursedvikings1998 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:43 PM

I’ve given up on attending games until the league bans the sale of alcohol and also bans fans who show up drunk to games.

I’ve given up.

40. rubenxx7 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:43 PM

let the fan have fun. leave them alone.

41. bjennings2013 says: Jan 3, 2014 12:46 PM

“Philly to use undercover officers to deter Eagles fans”
    WOW!
    Says a lot about this organization and its fans. Must come from 0 Lombardi Trophies. Never experienced anything like this in Denver or Texas!

42. mizzousooner says: Jan 3, 2014 1:00 PM

Does the newer stadium have a Police Station in it like the old one did?

I wouldn’t live on the East Coast for love or money!

43. boisestatewhodat says: Jan 3, 2014 1:08 PM

As far as road woes go…lets take a closer look at this. I’m a Saints fan and the criticism of THIS years Saints team on the road is substantiated by their play on the road no doubt. However, there were only 9 NFL teams in 2013 who had a road record above .500…9! That means that the other 23 teams were .500 or below. Singling out the Saints every day is kinda silly…this years Patriot team was undefeated at home, just as the Saints were and went 4-4 on the road…one better than the Saints. We don’t mention that though.

No team has won more road games than the Saints since 2009. Only one team has a better road record than the Saints since 2006…the Patriots…these are facts!

44. igglesfan74 says: Jan 3, 2014 1:13 PM

The linc holds 68,000. And the passionate and proud fan base has sold it out days before any other playoff game for this weekend.
    67,996 fans will likely demonstate good behavior. There will be a handful of idiots just like every other stadium in the entire country but the large majority are regular folks who enjoy rooting for their football team.

45. phillysports1 says: Jan 3, 2014 1:16 PM

0 Lombardi Trophies but we still Love our team. Go EAGLES !!!

46. Youknowimright says: Jan 3, 2014 1:23 PM

More than just a handful of losers ruining it for everyone down at the linc. This is a city wide team wide problem in Philly. They just cannot differentiate between reality and this sports fantasy world they live in.

47. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Jan 3, 2014 1:28 PM

Inferiority complex.

48. calmdownsir says: Jan 3, 2014 1:32 PM

Unfortunately for the Saints, it won’t deter the Eagles.

49. jamaltimore says: Jan 3, 2014 1:34 PM

“Eagles fans are who we thought they were!” Signed Every Fan rooting for another team at Eagles Home Games” Heck they even bring their act on the road when they come to the worst stadium in Maryland to play the slurs!

One more thing, Sal Palantonio is a full time Cali resident. Hard to believe but true.

50. jrbtoo says: Jan 3, 2014 1:35 PM

I am an eagles fan who attends games in giants stadium , I can attest that place is pure hell for an eagles fan.

I do remember San Francisco fans killing a visiting team fan recently and in Minnesota a ref was hit with a whisky bottle and around the NFL beating on visiting team fans is common.

So why the big hype with Philly fans.

All the horror stories tend to belong to the Vet years and they were earned . However they have been in LFF for 11 seasons and it is a pretty tame place.

The security in LFF is top of the NFL and it has been the #1 stadium to experience a game for 5 years running , as rated by the NFL survey company.

Go Birds

51. seabreezes51 says: Jan 3, 2014 1:36 PM

I have been to many years worth of Eagles games at the Vet and then the Link…. The only time I have seen anyone get smacked around in opposing teams colors is when they act like jackasses and pick fights. Pick a fight and you will find one, no matter whose team jersey you are wearing.

52. beeroncos says: Jan 3, 2014 1:41 PM

I think the worst was when the Raiders were in LA, but I have yet to visit all of the NFL venues…

Go Flyers. ;)

53. gothapotamus90210 says: Jan 3, 2014 1:44 PM

I was 13 in 1995 when I was at the “they give it to Smith and they stop him again” game. Birds came back from a 17-3 deficit at half to win 20-17. After the game I saw quite a few guys in Cowboys Starter jackets get the tar beat out of them on the concourse. Even as Birds’ fans, my Dad was quick to usher me out of there.

I don’t think things are are crazy at the Linc because they’ve somewhat gentrified the attendance base.

54. leroyquimby says: Jan 3, 2014 2:00 PM

Don’t start nothin’, won’t be nothin’

55. dzor22 says: Jan 3, 2014 2:03 PM

I have been to many stadiums; including Philadelphia. There are bad fans for every team; but the worst are New Orleans fans, hands down.

56. ratsfoiledagain says: Jan 3, 2014 2:03 PM

^^^ I guess I left off the quote by good old John.

Here it is:

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.

57. logicalvaginasays says: Jan 3, 2014 2:04 PM

Never would this sort of thing happen in D.C.

58. WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? says: Jan 3, 2014 2:05 PM

And the undercover police do their best to antagonize the Philadelphia fans wearing their opposing jerseys, standing blocking the view of those behind them, cursing, standing out to make their “sting” look more productive with arrests.

59. fwippel says: Jan 3, 2014 2:13 PM

If they want to entrap fans into throwing snowballs, they should wear #5 Eagles jerseys!

60. askcabs says: Jan 3, 2014 2:18 PM

Always comes down to how bad Philly fans behave…..yet there were 30 fans arrested at the last game at Candlestick! The problem is pervasive….alcohol, competition and ignorance creates violence….everywhere!

61. zappa69 says: Jan 3, 2014 2:22 PM

I have no problem with Philly fans beating up Saints fans. If your a big mouthed drunken loser don’t go to the game yelling “who dat”. Kick some black and gold to the curb!!

62. ibangrocks4fun says: Jan 3, 2014 2:23 PM

I’m an Eagles fan but we honestly have more drunken idiots and bandwagon fans than most teams. I’ve never heard people boo their home team as loud as Eagles fans….it’s because we’re more passionate than everyone else….plzzzzz.

Let the down votes begin!!!!!!

63. sevensgottago says: Jan 3, 2014 2:27 PM

Least obnoxious fans

In order

1. Indianapolis
    2. Jacksonville- All 9 of them
    3. Arizona
    4. San Diego
    5. Tennessee

64. nocitpeced says: Jan 3, 2014 2:40 PM

The League’s Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Notice how this doesn’t happen at Heinz Field?

That’s because no one in their right mind wants to travel to a cesspool like Pittsburgh.

65. hrmlss says: Jan 3, 2014 2:47 PM

I beg to differ on Arizona, last time we went Two fat tattoo’d freaks were trying to pick a fight with my 72 year old father, just because he had a Pack golf shirt on.

66. justintuckrule says: Jan 3, 2014 3:00 PM

Like the 72′ Dolphins who celebrate when the last undefeated team loses, I too will celebrate when the Eagles are eliminated yet again.

67. mdgoalie37 says: Jan 3, 2014 3:02 PM

‘Last month, a Lions fan wearing a Barry Sanders jersey was beaten up by Eagles fans after a game the home team won.’

Why was my previous comment on this deleted?

This ‘attack’ was never substantiated and no witnesses came forward. No video or police report exists. Apparently a Good Samaritan came to his rescue and helped then threw his Eagles jersey in the trash. Really?

68. yb1956 says: Jan 3, 2014 3:03 PM

Lazy Journalism = Say something bad about Philly fans

69. baltimoresnativeson says: Jan 3, 2014 3:29 PM

I love Philly fans. They help make the NFL fun.

70. eaglemike55 says: Jan 3, 2014 3:33 PM

I’ve been going to Eagles games for years. The one time I saw a fight at the Vet was during a Dallas game. The Cowboys fan was so obnoxious and drunk that even the Dallas fans cheered when he was led out of the section.

I’ve been to the Meadowlands for both Giants and Jets games and also to the Ravens stadium wearing my Eagles gear and I have found that if you simply act like a normal fan there is never a problem. If you act like an ass, then it’s on you.

It’s only a small proportion of people that cause these problems. It’s a shame we all have to suffer because of these ignorant fools.

71. codydholloway says: Jan 3, 2014 3:34 PM

I am a Eagles fan that lives in Texas, I will no longer wear Eagles stuff to Cowboys/Eagles games due to the crap I have to put up with. I am not a instigator or do drink at games. This is a league problem, not a Philly problem.

72. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 3, 2014 3:43 PM

It’s a Philly problem that happens to be spreading to the rest of the league.

73. hialeahman1 says: Jan 3, 2014 4:28 PM

Give me a break. It sure does happen in New Orleans. I went to 06 playoff game v. Eagles with my 12 year old. We were harassed by a lot of different people and it got so bad leaving game that he was scared and asked me to get a cop. Instead we ended up running back to hotel.

74. louderthanwords1 says: Jan 3, 2014 4:31 PM

To all the people saying use uniformed officers instead well no duh their going to. Incidents happen all the time in stadiums with uniformed officers but they can’t be everywhere. The point of putting it out there that undercover police will be in Saints gear is the hope that it will also deter fans from picking fights with Saints fans for the fear that it could be a cop.

75. razorbyrd says: Jan 3, 2014 4:32 PM

the league-wide disdain for the Eagles and their fans pisses me off to no end… people have been killed in San Fran & Oakland, and riots break out on a regular basis at European soccer games, but some snowballs get thrown at a drunk Santa Claus & our fans are ALL demonic?!

RIDICULOUS!!!

76. uptjeff says: Jan 3, 2014 4:40 PM

Eagles and Niners are by far the two worst fan bases in the NFL. Word is they can’t handle their liquor. Amateurs.

77. louderthanwords1 says: Jan 3, 2014 4:43 PM

Also unruly fans are a problem at all stadiums. When there are 60,000 plus people in a place there are going to be some real jerks. Are some places worse than others? Of course but this isn’t just a Philly problem. I’m a Packers fan who has been to Detroit, Indy, Tampa and Carolina and had a a great time with their fans but I’ve also been to Jacksonville and Miami multiple times and it hasn’t always been as pleasant. Some times you just get stuck sitting by some real dbags who after every incompletion or short run can’t keep their mouth shut and every stadium I’ve been to in any sport there are always some jerks who like to yell back and forth after games in the parking lot which is where more of the fights happen anyway.

78. n0hopeleft says: Jan 3, 2014 4:52 PM

“The issue is the undercover officers are Philly based, and are typically drunk as well.”

- Unanimous Philadelphia Police Officer

79. gochargersgo says: Jan 3, 2014 5:47 PM

metrocritical says:
    Jan 3, 2014 12:05 PM
    “Take proper security measures is always a good idea. However…How will the use of UNDERCOVER officers act as a deterrents? How about using visible, uniformed officers throughout the stadium?”

By broadcasting that anyone who is wearing a saints jersey might be a UC, it acts as a deterrent to anyone who might think about acting up when no other visible security is in sight.

80. agentzero321 says: Jan 3, 2014 5:52 PM

“Regularly alerting fans?” How many people on here work in a convenient store? Don’t they always give you a heads-up when they’re doing a beer sting? “Circle K, this is the local sheriff department. Just letting you know we’re gonna have our eye on you to make sure you’re following alcohol sales protocol. Card everybody.”

81. RavenzGunnerz says: Jan 3, 2014 6:14 PM

Ever realize how this sort things never happen at M&T Bank Stadium?

82. nickynick04 says: Jan 3, 2014 7:34 PM

The two most pathetic fans in the NFL
    Eagles and Vikings
    Both are loud and obnoxious and talk like they know how football is won
    And ZERO SUPER BOWL TITLES
    BETWEEN THEM

83. ibleedgreenyouenvyme says: Jan 3, 2014 9:22 PM

Some very original posts.
    Move on, nothing to see here….

84. cincyalldaway says: Jan 3, 2014 10:48 PM

The problem with this whole statement is the snowballs are full of batteries! Philly has a classless fan base…always been that way! It’s a Pensyltucky thing! And for Christ sakes..get a new fight song. It’s freaking embaracing!

85. coffeypc says: Jan 3, 2014 11:01 PM

Been to a Bears game lately? Just act for an instant as if you are a Lions fan, and……….BAM. Lights out.

86. mancave001 says: Jan 4, 2014 12:42 PM

Funny, the media always ignores the Santa Claus incident context. The Eagles had own just enough to screw up heir draft position. Then, a skinny, fake-looking Santa came out. That’s why they were booing and throwing snowballs.

87. taron2in1 says: Jan 4, 2014 12:50 PM

Same story from 10 years ago. Let it go!!!