No charges will be filed in Mile High stabbing

Baltimore Ravens v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Last month, three people were stabbed in a dispute outside Mile High Stadium after a Thursday night game between the Chargers and Broncos.  On Friday, prosecutors announced that charges won’t be filed against the prime suspect.

“There was no one who could make a positive identification that [Justin] Manzanares stabbed anyone,” a spokesperson for Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey said, via the Denver Post.  “We didn’t believe we could prove it.”

Still, three people were stabbed.  And one of the victims isn’t happy.

“I think it’s a horrible decision,” Mathew DeHerrera said, via the Post.  “He’s walking on the streets after stabbing three people and almost killing me.”

But DeHerrera also concedes he was unable to positively identify the perpetrator in a lineup.

“It was dark out and I didn’t get a good look at the guy,” DeHerrera said.

Another potential avenue for the type of reasonable doubt that could have resulted in an acquittal comes from the notion of self defense, given that the stabbing allegedly occurred as part of a fight that resulted from a minor traffic incident.  It’s no surprise, then, that prosecutors opted not to pick a fight they’d likely lose.

That doesn’t stop the victims from filing a civil suit against Manzanares, since the standard for civil liability is much lower.  However, they may not be able to recover much money.  Due to the publicity from the incident, Manzanares was fired from his job.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
32 Responses to “No charges will be filed in Mile High stabbing”
  1. lunarpie says: Jan 4, 2014 11:04 AM

TRUE AMERICAN BS

2. dontouchmyjunk says: Jan 4, 2014 11:12 AM

But Eagles fans!!!! Oh, those horrible Eagles fans who bully the fans of other teams!!! Nobody has ever been shot, stabbed, murdered, or beaten into a coma in Philly. All of those things happen in stadiums around the country, especially in California.

But those Eagles fans — most horrible fans in all of sport. They booed a drunk, skinny, disheveled Santa Claus 50 years ago.

3. carpi2 says: Jan 4, 2014 11:13 AM

…and Manzanares may have a claim to file suit against his former employer, for wrongful termination.

4. bert1913 says: Jan 4, 2014 11:21 AM

i wonder if someone ditched a suit?

5. caseyanthonymunoz says: Jan 4, 2014 11:25 AM

If the DA’s conviction percentage is as good as Peyton’s playoff record it probably wouldn’t matter anyway.

6. insanelomein2 says: Jan 4, 2014 11:27 AM

Yet in Philly we get vilified for throwing snowballs at Santa over 30 years ago.

7. mercyflush says: Jan 4, 2014 11:31 AM

I thought weed was supposed to make you mellow?

8. notrelated says: Jan 4, 2014 11:41 AM

I’m completely shocked that he’s a minority.

9. 1rockyracoon says: Jan 4, 2014 11:43 AM

If you’re ever get that stabby feeling just go to a Broncos game.

10. gripless says: Jan 4, 2014 11:45 AM

Perhaps you could write an unrelated to football story as to how sketchy District Attorneys really don’t care about the case unless they can win. If they can’t get lopsided evidence to insure they win they don’t prosecute. Not as a matter of right or wrong but more of managing their “wins & losses” and the sad reality is they don’t care about the case as much. It is all about their careers and managing soft cases to pursue their political agendas.

Too bad the evidence was not greater but with marginal chances of prosecution the DA simply does not care as it does not benefit him.

Part of the underlying problem of our society. Worse is when they are successful they run for higher office and dick up more things.

11. wishingtonredslur says: Jan 4, 2014 11:47 AM

Lol now he can sue his former employer for wrongful dismissal.

12. alshonbrandontandem says: Jan 4, 2014 11:58 AM

“It wasn’t me”

Ray Lewis

13. briang123 says: Jan 4, 2014 11:59 AM

That’s because there were no Eagles fans they could pin it on.

14. jjrs89 says: Jan 4, 2014 11:59 AM

In my heart, I want to believe that papa john is behind this.

15. slickrick971 says: Jan 4, 2014 12:00 PM

Where’s Dexter when you need him?

16. crowdedtrophycase says: Jan 4, 2014 12:03 PM

Shouldn’t be too tough to find work in Denver. Just buy a bunch of Doritos and Twinkies and set up a stand outside the neighborhood weed shop.

17. ezcheese says: Jan 4, 2014 12:06 PM

So let me get this straight. The victim mentioned above says that he can’t believe the guy is walking the streets free but then turns around and says “it was dark and he didn’t get a good look at the guy”?!?!?

18. pfic15 says: Jan 4, 2014 12:15 PM

Sounds like all parties involved are leeches.

19. lnfinite says: Jan 4, 2014 12:38 PM

Call CSI or NCIS…….

20. carpi2 says: Jan 4, 2014 12:46 PM

I am pretty sure, at the very least, one of those victims were the agonist of the whole situation.

Some people need to learn a lesson about interpersonal communication. Sometimes, that lesson comes in the form of a knife in the side of the rib cage.

21. cwwgk says: Jan 4, 2014 12:58 PM

Unless one of the victims had a deadly weapon, the self defense doctrine would not have been applicable. The only reason the prosecutors didn’t bring charges is they didn’t have the requisite evidence to convict. Self defense had nothing to do with it.

22. sc711 says: Jan 4, 2014 1:12 PM

Your telling me there is not ONE camera in Denver that shows him behind the wheel ?

You can’t just use deadly force at will.

Put it in front of a jury, that’s your job.

23. keepounding1234 says: Jan 4, 2014 1:17 PM

If you can’t pick the guy out in a line up how could you press charges? Should you charge someone because they are probably the guy and convict an innocent person?

24. jacobk621 says: Jan 4, 2014 1:28 PM

Was there a white limo involved in the traffic incident ,,,,,, just saying

25. steviepinhead says: Jan 4, 2014 2:02 PM

Whoever the perpetrator was, the Broncos need to sign him pronto.

I mean, think of the reach of a receiver or a pass or punt blocker with a mile-long arm!

26. usg1 says: Jan 4, 2014 2:33 PM

I thought this only happened in Philly. They must have gotten the names mixed up.

27. chinahand11 says: Jan 4, 2014 2:36 PM

That isn’t right. The last 3 times I stabbed someone I got arrested. Fair is fair.

28. phillyphanatic77 says: Jan 4, 2014 2:47 PM

Surprised they even mentioned this considering it wasn’t in the city of brotherly love. If this was Philly the media would tell parents to lock their doors, hide their children, and divert all planes from Philadelphia international.

29. fearthehoody says: Jan 4, 2014 2:56 PM

Raider fans everywhere rejoice over this news

30. napavalleyshaun says: Jan 4, 2014 3:53 PM

I see Raider Fan is franchising stabby operations to other NFL markets. Is this a turn-key operation or do I have to hire and train?

31. bigjimmy19784u says: Jan 4, 2014 4:12 PM

You seem very anti-victim in your comments, Paul Carpenter. Something you want to share with the rest of the group?

32. dcapettini says: Jan 4, 2014 5:15 PM

If 3 guys ganged up on me, and I had a knife, I would stab them too. If I didn’t have a knife, I’d make sure I brought one next time. Just like if some guy was on top of me and pounding my head into a concrete curb and I had a gun, I’d shoot him. Everybody still wants to vilify Ray Lewis, but the guys who got stabbed were the ones with the gun and it was the car that Ray was in that got shot up. Some of you people apparently never leave Pleasant Valley.