Skip to content

Report: Brett Hundley to stay at UCLA

73402337fec3e9e3db64f13bb9d7d457 AP

It looks like Oregon’s Marcus Mariota won’t be the only highly regarded NFL prospect playing his football in the Pac-12 come the fall.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that UCLA quarterback Brett Hundley has also decided to remain in college for another season. Hundley said after UCLA’s win in the Sun Bowl last week that he was still weighing his options and has apparently decided that his game needs some more polishing before he moves up to the professional ranks.

Schefter reports that two teams that scouted Hundley thought he might be the best quarterback in this year’s draft. Hundley completed 67.2 percent of his passes in 2013 with 3,071 yards, 26 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He also ran for 748 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Those teams and any others looking for a quarterback will have to make do with a group that definitely includes Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater and Fresno State’s Derek Carr and could also include UCF’s Blake Bortles and Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel. Hundley, meanwhile, will duke it out with Mariota and Florida State quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston to be a top pick in 2015.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Report: Brett Hundley to stay at UCLA”
  1. El Pollo Loco says: Jan 5, 2014 2:02 PM

    he’s afraid the Raiders will draft
    him

  2. greg2geez says: Jan 5, 2014 2:06 PM

    The good thing about being picked lower is the team drafting you is less likely to suck.

  3. cleveland1980 says: Jan 5, 2014 2:10 PM

    Nor unlike Braxton Miller and Marcus Mariota, it is wise for him to go back to school. This draft class is loaded at QB. So why not return to school, polish up your skills and come out next year to a higher pick/more money?

  4. caryw30 says: Jan 5, 2014 2:12 PM

    I think Brett did the right thing because he does need to work on his passing a bit more.

  5. MichaelEdits says: Jan 5, 2014 2:13 PM

    He may have decided that teams like Houston and Oakland don’t qualify as “the professional ranks.”

  6. docboss says: Jan 5, 2014 2:13 PM

    Good news for the Rams. Now there is a smaller pool of QBs for teams desperate to fill that position. (Assuming Clowney goes first)

  7. slobmykolb says: Jan 5, 2014 2:13 PM

    Why these guys pass up millions to play us beyond me. I’ll never understand why if you are considered a first rd pick you would forgo the millions to risk a severe injury that would negatively affect your draft stick all while playing for “free”.

  8. pootytang66 says: Jan 5, 2014 2:19 PM

    As a UCLA fan I am glad to hear this!

  9. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 5, 2014 2:19 PM

    Hopefully for Hundley and Mariota a lot of the new QBs that will have decisions to declare will choose to go back to school. There’s going to be a lot of them. The draft is going to be loaded with more QBs again. Times are good for teams needing new QBs this draft or next.

  10. hazelmn says: Jan 5, 2014 2:44 PM

    The bumper QB crop of the 2014 draft is slowly dwindling. Mariota is the biggest loss, but Hundley takes away another good 1st round option.

  11. raynman49 says: Jan 5, 2014 2:45 PM

    I think Connor Shaw from South Carolina should get some mention. I think he would make a good NFL qb.

  12. mhm0428 says: Jan 5, 2014 2:51 PM

    “Great decision, this can only help you.”-Matt Barkely

  13. dbara43 says: Jan 5, 2014 2:51 PM

    Yeah he could also end up a 4th round pick like Matt Barkley. If he was going to be a top half 1st round pick he should have come out, period. Barkley cost himself millions by waiting a year

  14. azjohnny says: Jan 5, 2014 3:19 PM

    No way Hundley would have gone in the 1st round, more like the 3rd

  15. justintuckrule says: Jan 5, 2014 3:30 PM

    The sun is melting those qbs brains. Hello Matt Barkley 2.0

  16. garyhd01 says: Jan 5, 2014 3:45 PM

    to el polloloco, my guess is oakland will be picking in the top 5 again next year and hundley would have wasted a year without making money and still getting drafted by oakland wouldnt that suck????

  17. lordfletcher says: Jan 5, 2014 3:45 PM

    He is doing the right thing but as a Vikings fan, I was really hoping he was going to enter the draft.

    If there was a player that the Vikings could move back into the first round and get, it was him.

    I am hoping the Vikings do not take a QB with their first pick unless Bortles or Bridgewater are avilable (incredibly unlikely) as I want the purple to draft Barr or Watkins. If possible move back into the late first to grab what could have beer Carr or Hundley but now it looks like AJ or Metenberger in the 2nd.

    Smart choice by Hundley to potential improve his draft stock but if I was 20’ish years old and knew that more than likely I would be taken anywhere from 8-35 in the draft and be a millionaire by next summer, whew, hard not to take the cash and not worry about someone blowing out your shoulder in college.

  18. eatitfanboy says: Jan 5, 2014 4:34 PM

    I know the standard answer is that it’s good when these guys stay in school, but I am not so sure about that.

    I believe that if you are certain to be taken in the first round you should go. Particularly if you are likely to go in the top 16- those contracts are guaranteed for 4 years. And with the new wage scale, the difference in money between 1-16 is not that radically different, so it’s not like you can make alot more by moving up the following year. And not being drafted at the very top is not always a bad thing- you could wind up in a much better situation as far as the team he winds up on.

    If you want a degree, you can always go back in the off season- plenty of guys do it.

  19. fearthehoody says: Jan 5, 2014 9:58 PM

    UCLA 2014 National Champions!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!