A.J. Green in no rush to address contract

4c3aa537da178bf71d6558ed8cf7a6ae Getty Images

Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson has three years left on his contract and spent part of Monday talking about his desire for a new deal.

Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green is a lot closer to the expiration of his contract, but he’s not feeling any such pressure to get things rolling. Green will be in the final year of his rookie contract in 2014 with the Bengals holding an option for the 2015 season and while he would like to see a new deal done before the end of next year, he said Monday that it isn’t a matter of immediate urgency.

“Anybody would like to have it done,” Green said, via ESPN.com. “I’m not in any financial debt, so no rush.”

Green was confident that “my body of work speaks for itself” and he’s got good reason to be. Green has 260 catches for 3,833 yards and 29 touchdowns in his first three seasons and set career highs for catches and yards in 2013. He’s done that despite a constant search for a reliable No. 2 receiver across from him in Cincinnati and inconsistent performances from Andy Dalton, which should make keeping him around for a long time a priority for the Bengals in the coming months.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “A.J. Green in no rush to address contract”
  1. ingraven says: Jan 6, 2014 4:20 PM

This guy is pretty good. And he respects the game. Doesn’t show off after every first down like D-Jackson. I get nervous when my team has to play him twice a year.

2. z06vision says: Jan 6, 2014 4:23 PM

Imagine if AJ had a QB that could beat a team in the playoffs? He would be a superstar…

3. bengalsucker says: Jan 6, 2014 4:25 PM

He’s also probably wanting to see some improvement at QB before he commits here long term. If Andy is typical Andy next year, consider him gone. He’ll have his agent on the horn trying to get him to a team with a QB. I do believe Belichick would give up many parts of his anatomy to have a Brady/A.J. duo on the field. As would the Packers, Seahawks, etc. I don’t blame A.J. a bit. Who wants to be stuck here in Cincy if the owner doesn’t show that he wants to get further than the first round of the playoffs?

4. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 6, 2014 4:29 PM

The team should be in a rush to extend him if he keeps talking like this. What, you don’t want more money? Well now we want to give it to you. Please let us give you more now? We can’t afford to wait to pay you!

5. green41563 says: Jan 6, 2014 4:29 PM

Just throw the contract at him. He’ll catch it at his waist.

6. studio26seattle says: Jan 6, 2014 4:31 PM

z06vision – AJ is a superstar already. And also, AJ himself added to the loss when he dropped a deep pass in the 4th quarter. A lot of people seem to love trashing Dalton…. It’s like he’s the new Matt Ryan.

7. aljack88 says: Jan 6, 2014 4:33 PM

There’s an upper echelon of WRs to which AJ is a member of; then there’s D-Jax.

8. bigedge says: Jan 6, 2014 4:33 PM

Gotta lose Gruden as well. His game planning is an atrocity. AJ is doing a phenom job despite having Dalton as a qb, Gruden as OC and Marvin as HC.

9. pooflingingmonkey says: Jan 6, 2014 4:36 PM

As good as Green is, he’s “nonchalanted” a few catchable balls of late.

I think he’s getting frustrated in Cincy, but isn’t saying so, much to his credit.

10. detectivejimmymcnulty says: Jan 6, 2014 4:42 PM

AJ is in the Calvin, Julio Jones, and Josh Gordon level. I know I’m missing someone, I apologize.

1) Calvin
    2) AJ
    3) Julio
    4) Gordon
    5) whoever I’m forgetting

11. wishingtonredslur says: Jan 6, 2014 4:49 PM

“I don’t have any money problems.” Gotta love a guy who watches his wallet wisely. I wonder if he knows something about Jackson’s situation.

12. jtbsteeler says: Jan 6, 2014 4:52 PM

Getting Bungled on a yearly basis will give you “pause”.

13. vincentbojackson says: Jan 6, 2014 4:59 PM

detectivejimmymcnulty says:

1) Calvin
    2) AJ
    3) Julio
    4) Gordon
    5) whoever I’m forgetting

————–

I believe the elite WR you’re forgetting is Braylon Edwards.

Signed,
    Braylon Edwards

14. rubenxx7 says: Jan 6, 2014 5:34 PM

he had only 3 catches yesterday!!!!

15. titusyoung says: Jan 6, 2014 5:34 PM

1) Calvin
    2) AJ
    3) Julio
    4) Gordon
    5) whoever I’m forgetting

You forgot Demaryius and Dez

16. arwiv says: Jan 6, 2014 5:35 PM

How is desean looking for a new deal? He’ll be lucky if he isn’t a cap casualty in 2 years.

17. ravenswhat says: Jan 6, 2014 5:40 PM

Come to Baltimore AJ, you will play with a guy that can actually hit you in stride.

18. londonbengal says: Jan 6, 2014 6:20 PM

As good as AJ is, there have ben plenty of times this year when he has been pouting and sulking like a little schoolgirl. He needs to man-up more often.

If he grabs that 4th qtr long ball that Dalton dropped right in his bucket Sunday, we’re probably playing in NE this coming Saturday.

AJ is good, but not beyond criticism.

19. rboyett says: Jan 6, 2014 6:26 PM

AJ seems to be as smart as he is talented. Good for him.

20. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Jan 6, 2014 6:33 PM

Bust.

21. ajgreenhof says: Jan 6, 2014 6:57 PM

Read the username.

22. bucsducksipa says: Jan 6, 2014 8:00 PM

It’s proven out in the numbers time and time again, you don’t necessarily need an elite QB to be a very productive WR…but it can’t hurt.

23. jdphx says: Jan 6, 2014 8:07 PM

Think he wants to be part of a different offense?

24. crownofthehelmet says: Jan 6, 2014 8:29 PM

Top 5 hands in afcn:

1. A. Brown
    2. Heath
    3. Le’Veon Bell
    4. Crotchety
    5. AJ Green

25. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Jan 6, 2014 8:29 PM

Having Dalton as a QB must be extremely frustrating and you can sometimes see it in his demeanor.

26. yourteamstinks says: Jan 6, 2014 9:35 PM

1) Calvin
    2) AJ
    3) Julio
    4) Gordon
    5) whoever I’m forgetting

You forgot Demaryius and Dez

You could probably add Antonio Brown with his 100+ catches and 1,500 yards. :)

27. yourteamstinks says: Jan 6, 2014 9:36 PM

1) Calvin
    2) AJ
    3) Julio
    4) Gordon
    5) whoever I’m forgetting

You forgot Demaryius and Dez

You could probably add Antonio Brown and his 100+ catches and 1,500 yards :)

28. natijim235 says: Jan 6, 2014 10:08 PM

AJ Green’s been doing it w/o QB that can lead him in stride….always seems to be jump ball or need to slow down for the catch – with his speed and long arms needs QB with stronger arm

29. dontcountemout says: Jan 7, 2014 12:46 AM

I agree……..in fact I believe he would look good with lightning bolt on the side of his helmet. Was 76 and sunny here today AJ.

30. mikebrownfeedsondreams says: Jan 7, 2014 5:23 AM

From Geoff Hobson:

“Dalton has more regular-season wins (30-26) than Manning, the same number of postseason wins, and trails by only five (85-80) in TD passes after their first three seasons. Only Dalton, Manning and Dan Marino (98) have thrown at least 80 TDs in their first three seasons. “