Josh McDaniels confirms he talked to Browns, not much else

Josh McDaniels AP

We knew that Josh McDaniels would be near the top of the list when the Browns had a vacancy.

And now we know for sure that he interviewed Saturday, but not that much more.

Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, McDaniels confirmed his interview with the Browns during a conference call Monday, but didn’t add much.

We met and that’s about all there is at this point,” McDaniels said. “Nothing, nothing further.”

The 37-year-old Canton native stressed he was focused on his day job with the Patriots, who play the Colts Saturday in the Divisional Round.

“I appreciate the question, and I understand it,” he said. “I know that’s something that comes up each time this year for other coaches. The opportunities are certainly flattering if they come up.

“That being said, I am going to try to keep my focus on the Colts and our preparation this week. Like I’ve said in the past, I’m fortunate to have the job I have, and I love being here. I love doing what I’m doing. Each opportunity that comes along is a little different, and I’m going to leave it at that and continue to put my effort and attention into the Colts this week.”

At this point, we know the Browns have also talked to Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, as well.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Josh McDaniels confirms he talked to Browns, not much else”
  1. detectivejimmymcnulty says: Jan 6, 2014 5:30 PM

So they’ll hire McDaniels and trade for Mallett. I actually think McDaniels can be/will be a good coach, but I don’t like how these coaches all bring buddies along with them for their staffs. Bring in the best football guys for your team and make new friends (or enemies).

2. ravenswhat says: Jan 6, 2014 5:37 PM

This guy is a complete clown. What he did in Denver? Unreal ego this dude.

3. firerogergoodellnow says: Jan 6, 2014 5:51 PM

After two years of Eric Mangini, you’d think the Browns learned their lesson not to hire one of Belichick’s disciples again.

4. kd75 says: Jan 6, 2014 5:54 PM

Romeo, Weiss, Mangini, McDaniels. When will teams learn that it is all Belichick?

5. supermadelf says: Jan 6, 2014 5:54 PM

Meh, I actually hope the “Stooges” land this joke of a whatev. Quicker they’ll be gone, and good riddance. But, it was all part of the “Master Plan” all along, no?

6. baltimorons says: Jan 6, 2014 5:56 PM

Ha ha ha. What a loser. The belicheat tree has died. Dig it up and throw it over the hill.

7. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 6, 2014 5:59 PM

Doubt McD will want this “dog” of a job.

Sorry Cleveland fans, couldn’t resist that one.

8. arwiv says: Jan 6, 2014 6:10 PM

There is definitely something to said for stability. Im not saying chudzinski was the answer, but when you bring in a new guy to a pretty flawed team, you give him three years. The Browns philosophy is just asinine….they are about to hire their EIGHTH coach since 2000. You cannot win like that.

9. citiciti says: Jan 6, 2014 6:17 PM

Yuck-Yuck-Yuck, Hey Larry, Hey Curley, Hey Mo,OIC!!

10. garyhd01 says: Jan 6, 2014 6:20 PM

as a ram fan if josh take the HC job he will want his own guy at qb therefore he will want the #1 pick and if he cant have it we will trade him the #2 pick

11. natelan69 says: Jan 6, 2014 6:24 PM

I was going to say that he’ll trade or release all the Browns’ best players like he did in Denver, until I realized that the Browns don’t have any good players to begin with.

12. forsbergler says: Jan 6, 2014 6:24 PM

CAPTION-I hope they didn’t do their homework and realize that my record is 11-17 as a HC. I single handedly Dismantled Denver’s franchise QB, and WR combo trying to get a below avg QB in Matt Cassel to try and run the same Spygate offence and defence that NE was running. Unfortunately NE gave Cassel to KC for peanuts in spite. Only to later be caught and fired for filming a SF walk through practice, revealing SPYGATE II to the world. As a Denver fan and Brady hater, I really love this story! Can you tell?

13. stephenolszewski says: Jan 6, 2014 6:33 PM

I’m a Cleveland fan but not sold on bringing all these former 1995 Belichick coordinators ball boys and front office guys. Banner is in way over his head I feel

14. mayfieldroadboy says: Jan 6, 2014 6:41 PM

Did Cutler take Denver to the play-offs? Did McDaniels’ man, Tebow, defeat the Steelers in a play-off game? And how many play-off games did Cutler drag Chicago into?

And how many play-off games did Denver win after Elway ended his career in Denver?

And if Cutler were still toiling in Denver, they never would have gotten Peyton.

15. ratsfoiledagain says: Jan 6, 2014 6:47 PM

If he gets hired, I wonder what QB he’s going to overreach on in the 1st round?

16. ttommytom says: Jan 6, 2014 6:52 PM

Why not Zimmer in Cleveland or anywhere?

I’d take his resumé against any of these retreads and other OC’s or DC’s.

Cleveland made the mistake of getting rid of the right OC, in Turner.

Zimmer and Turner would have been a success there.

Problem is they have that pseudo intellectual running the show (Lombardi) and the cheat as an owner.

17. coloneldukelacross says: Jan 6, 2014 6:56 PM

Please, please , please hire McDaniels as it weakens two teams; The Patriots lose their favorite offensive coordinator and the Browns get a lousy head coach.

18. george1859 says: Jan 6, 2014 6:57 PM

PERFECT FIT for Cleveland.
    He should be fired by the end of 14′. He’ll be instrumental in destroying the team for 5 more years with another botched draft. Look forward to another uninspired season, and another 3-13 record..

19. jrs45 says: Jan 6, 2014 6:58 PM

I actually like McDaniels.

20. fearthehoody says: Jan 6, 2014 7:01 PM

Buyer beware! Joshy will throw 9/10 times and go 5 wide every play! Bringing soft-nosed football to a team near you.

21. j0esixpack says: Jan 6, 2014 7:06 PM

I guess it’s good to know that all those reports about the Browns being interested in McDaniels were not incorrect

22. afcdomination says: Jan 6, 2014 7:19 PM

can’t stand mcdaniels.

23. pooflingingmonkey says: Jan 6, 2014 7:52 PM

Perfect. The Cleveland Stooges might hire a stooge of Belichick’s to be their coach.

I almost feel sorry for Cleveland now.

24. tdubdizzle says: Jan 6, 2014 8:06 PM

If the Browns get this guy they’re right back to square one.

25. agc99 says: Jan 6, 2014 8:42 PM

The stooges need some help. Josh come on down.

26. cags777 says: Jan 6, 2014 9:11 PM

I would never wish Josh McDaniels on anyone. His ego is too big for any head coach position. And did I mention he nearly crippled the Broncos organization?

27. thetooloftools says: Jan 6, 2014 9:14 PM

Good day sir. I hope you enjoy your voyage on football’s version of the Titanic.

28. rcali says: Jan 6, 2014 9:52 PM

Best head coaching job in NFL, work for one or two years and get paid for five. Bill Parcells is not walking through that door.

29. oldcracker says: Jan 6, 2014 10:17 PM

After the hiring of Shurmur, does it matter?

After the handling of Chud and his staff, who cares?

I’m tired of these rich boys expecting us tax payers and team fans to sponsor their fantasies. Why didn’t they just stick to the thoroughbreds down in Ky?

Now, Banner is Hell-bent on proving he’s a real “football guy” that he’ll run over anyone in his way. Only “yes men” need apply. Why do you think Dumbardi was hired as GM? (What an F’n joke)

Do I give up on the Browns (60+ yrs) or professional football all together???

30. propertyofthebroncos says: Jan 6, 2014 11:01 PM

What did he do to my Broncos? He gutted our organization, sent a lot of our best players packing, brought in a horrendously awful “qb”, then got fired. Moreno is the only thing that doesn’t seem to be a total loss from him. I didn’t mind losing Cutler either

31. mrfrostyj says: Jan 6, 2014 11:09 PM

Anyone whining about any name interviewed so far for the Cleveland job needs to remember that team is only 2 seasons removed from Pat Shurmur. Donavon McNabb’s mother and her 10 year old campbells chunky soup is better compared to that. The only thing Cleveland is going to have a hard time doing is replacing their coordinators. They hit a home run with Turner and Horton and it’s probably down hill from there.

32. tiger7575 says: Jan 7, 2014 12:43 AM

Uh let’s see, would he have Tom running things, probably not, he’s a dick, but, he’s not stupid, no way he takes that job.

33. grruffgrruff says: Jan 7, 2014 12:49 PM