The daily (sort of) coaching/G.M. search update

Whisenhunt Getty Images

One week since Black Monday, the list of vacancies has expanded back to five.

Here’s our daily (or thereabouts) look at the various openings and the status of each search.

For those of you who pointed out that we didn’t do one on Sunday, your partial refund checks are in the mail.  Don’t spend it all in one place.

The information below is based on the various reports that are circulating, most of which previously have appeared on the site with proper credit.

Or maybe we should just say, “NBC and media reports.”

Browns:  Interviewed Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles on Friday.  Interviewed Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels on Saturday.  Reportedly have no interview scheduled with Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, and no plan to interview him.  Reportedly interviewed Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn last week.  Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase won’t interview until the Broncos’ season is over.  The Browns reportedly have interest in Auburn coach Gus Malzahn, Vanderbilt coach James Franklin, and former Lions coach Jim Schwartz.

Redskins:  Interviewed Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott on Saturday.  Interviewed Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell on Sunday.  Will interview Giants defensie coordinator Perry Fewell.  Requested permission to interview Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt (pictured), 49ers defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, and 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman.  Reportedly will interview Cowboys special-teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia and Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.  Reportedly will interview Vanderbilt coach James Franklin.

Vikings: Reportedly interviewed Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles and Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton.  Reportedly interested in Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, along with Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman.  Reportedly interested in Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase and Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio.

Lions: Interviewed Ravens offensive coordinator and former Colts head coach Jim Caldwell on Friday.  No other interviews are scheduled, but Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer are both believed to be candidates.  Per multiple reports, Whisenhunt appears to be the favorite.

Titans:  Interested in Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, Cowboys special-teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia, Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, and Vanderbilt coach James Franklin.

Buccaneers:  Chiefs director of player personnel Chris Ballard reportedly is the leading candidate for the G.M. position.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Features, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
40 Responses to “The daily (sort of) coaching/G.M. search update”
  1. whatnojets says: Jan 6, 2014 2:42 PM

I don’t see Rob Ryan’s name being mentioned anywhere?!?!? What gives???!!!

2. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 6, 2014 2:46 PM

We do know what openings are clear and obvious, but how about a breakdown of the openings that there should be? Kind of like forecasting to next year’s changes by saying well we did a story on that one year before.

3. whatnojets says: Jan 6, 2014 2:46 PM

Browns- Josh McDaniel’s
    Redskins- Mike Zimmer
    Vikings- Jim Schwartz
    Lions- Ken Whisenhunt
    Titans- Jay Gruden

4. pooflingingmonkey says: Jan 6, 2014 2:47 PM

Why would anyone want to interview Jay Gruden? Did no one see the Bengals game yesterday?

5. bschmidt25 says: Jan 6, 2014 2:49 PM

No Marty Mornhinweg rumors?

6. garyhd01 says: Jan 6, 2014 2:49 PM

anyone want an OC that cant coach an offense i cant believe hes not a candidate because of his ineptitude as an OC should qualify him as a HC the name brian shottenheimer any takers!! this rams fan says please!!

7. titansfan12 says: Jan 6, 2014 2:49 PM

James Franklin to the Titans!! At least he’ll look more alive than Munchak

8. lilpuppy says: Jan 6, 2014 2:51 PM

I see the Lions got their “rooney rule” obligation out of the way , now onto the search

9. weepingjebus says: Jan 6, 2014 2:52 PM

Redskins search seems overly complicated and scattershot. They should just have a winner take all kung fu tournament on Snyder’s private island. I think Rob Ryan is a yellow belt.

10. vdogg says: Jan 6, 2014 2:52 PM

I’d like to see the Bears mentioned here looking for a DC.

11. logicalvoiceseys says: Jan 6, 2014 2:55 PM

The redskins still don’t have anyone willing to be our coach, shocking…

12. runmarshawnrun says: Jan 6, 2014 2:55 PM

Is there anyone the Redskins aren’t interviewing?

13. natelan69 says: Jan 6, 2014 2:56 PM

The Whiz should stay put here in San Diego. He will fall flat on his face as HC wherever he winds-up. At least here, he’s got a comfy gig, and the SoCal weather isn’t half bad either.

14. bucfanforlife says: Jan 6, 2014 2:57 PM

jay gruden sucks, I think someone needs to give zimmer a shot, I think his style while not heart warming would be great for football, plus what he said about petrino is timeless I think he might have kicked the guys ass if face to face, always has a good d and I believe he comes from the parcel tree, some good, some bad there it is either a home run or a strikeout

15. therealraider says: Jan 6, 2014 3:02 PM

Raiders fire Dennis Allen =) , Immediately hire Dennis Allen =( *sigh*

16. reggiewhitewasoverratedandoverweight says: Jan 6, 2014 3:05 PM

I highly doubt anyone would hire Gym Shorts as a head coach. At least not this year.

17. jwilliamsspf says: Jan 6, 2014 3:06 PM

Browns – McDaniels
    Redskins – Roman/Fangio (One of those guys)
    Vikings – Quinn
    Lions – Whisenhunt
    Titans – Bevell

If the Packers were smart, they would fire Capers and hire Horton for DC.

18. letmeseeyourtds says: Jan 6, 2014 3:06 PM

When will Art Shell land an interview?

19. guitarfreak21 says: Jan 6, 2014 3:08 PM

Greg Roman is an intriguing idea, to my memory, I don’t recall him being a head coach recently, which is a good thing (I am growing tired of all the re-treads). Whisenhunt is an acceptable option as well.

20. phillyeaglefan says: Jan 6, 2014 3:10 PM

I still can’t believe all the people who think that Bill Cowher or John Gruden will come back to coach. They didn’t last year, won’t this year, and they never will come back to coach.

21. gintfan says: Jan 6, 2014 3:10 PM

@lilpuppy – If interviewing Jim Caldwell is merely getting the Rooney Rule out of the way then the Lions don’t deserve to win. Caldwell lead the Colts to a Superbowl, was Peyton Manning’s QB coach when they won their first SB and was the Ravens OC last year when they won their SB. Might be slightly better than Jim Schwartz.

22. detectivejimmymcnulty says: Jan 6, 2014 3:11 PM

This Rams fan WISHES someone would take Shotty. You went about it all wrong though. Who was Mark Sanchez’s OC for his two magical playoff runs and had Bradford on a career best pace this season? That’s right, Shotty! He’s a great motivator and teacher, and really, who doesn’t want a Shottenheimer on their staff?

No takers? Fine, well fire him…eventually. :|

23. howiehandles says: Jan 6, 2014 3:12 PM

“He will fall flat on his face as HC wherever he winds-up”

Never mind the fact he took Arizona to the Superbowl, and almost won it.

I don’t know why Roman isn’t the leading candidate in Washington. Zimmerman deserves a shot, but you don’t spend all that to draft Bob, and not make him the focus of your hire.

24. jvw1982 says: Jan 6, 2014 3:14 PM

The skins will be interviewing well into preseason

25. citizenstrange says: Jan 6, 2014 3:36 PM

Steelers: Here is my grade on Honest Mike “Twelfth Man” Tomlin’s performance according to my coach grading system.

A = Reaching the Super Bowl win or lose.
    B = Winning at least one playoff game.
    C = Making the playoffs but going one and done.
    D = Not making the playoffs.
    E/F = Top 10 draft pick.

In seven seasons Tomlin has two As, two Cs and three Ds. Giving traditional grade points — A-4, B-3, C-2, D-1 – E/F-0 — that results in a coaching GPA of 2.14. Mazel tov!

Tomlin is safe through 2016 though because for some inexplicable reason the Rooneys have decided to trade in hopes of a playoff win in exchange for being blown away by more of that sweet, sweet, gobbleydy gook, double talk that Tomlin lays down.

26. racksie says: Jan 6, 2014 3:39 PM

The Vikings last three head cloches were former coordinators with no head coaching experience. Maybe look to a former head coach this time? Otherwise the 2-3 year cycle continues. And that clearly has worked out….well, poorly.

27. tremoluxman says: Jan 6, 2014 3:42 PM

The Vikings should hire Bevell as HC and Quinn as DC.

28. thealmightybigblue says: Jan 6, 2014 3:48 PM

Any one want Tom Quinn our special teams coach cause we sure as hell don’t.

29. yyyass says: Jan 6, 2014 3:49 PM

Jim Caldwell’s representation is excited that he could land the Lions or Skins jobs after “excellent interviews”, so he might end up working at the Washington Post since he had an excellent interview with them too.

30. yyyass says: Jan 6, 2014 3:51 PM

There’s a guy named Peter Principle who has a bullet with Rob Ryan’s name on it. He should stay where he is and enjoy his career. If he moves to HC, it’s all going to be over after the first season or two.

31. sikoix says: Jan 6, 2014 4:09 PM

As a Viking fan, I’m somewhat holding my breath for Zimmer. As long as it’s anyone but Bevell really, I won’t lose a lot of sleep — but Zimmer would be my first pick. If for no other reason, him pointing to a picture of himself shaking hands with the president and saying “that’s from the time the president got to meet me” on Hard Knocks.

32. dw2084 says: Jan 6, 2014 4:11 PM

I have to laugh that Martin Mayhew, who is leading the search for our new HC, has to abide by the Rooney Rule. Uhhhh, I think we can trust him to be fair to minority candidates.

33. pmars64 says: Jan 6, 2014 4:13 PM

I hope the Browns hire McDaniels and he goes 1-15 so their sleazy owner cleans out Banner/Lombardi to relegate them to doing ESPN Insider shows which feature former NFL exec has-beens.

Speaking of has-beens, Polian is still available to run a team. Even at his creaky age, he’d run circles around Banner and his bunch.

34. sconnyslovethemsomecousins says: Jan 6, 2014 5:03 PM

After watching that display the Bengals offense put on yesterday, if my Vike’s still do bring in Jay Gruden for an interview, the first question I would ask him if I was Spielman is “Thinking back on the Charger’s loss, what would be the one thing you would do different in that game?” If his answer wasn’t something along the lines of, “We would’ve started a hurry up offense way earlier in the game, because it was obvious their defense was getting in as many substitutions as they wanted, and I believe those substitutions were a major cause of the pressure they put on my quarterback and the resulting interceptions he threw”…I would shake his hand, thank him for his time, and show him the door.

35. popolover says: Jan 6, 2014 5:13 PM

It does not take much to run circles around banner and boys.

If anyone wants a dicktator to run their organization, then naPolian is their man.

36. skinsfan91 says: Jan 6, 2014 6:13 PM

Reason the Redskins are interviewing so many is an old Al Davis trick. You interview coaches from teams in your division to get info on those teams. You interview a bunch of coaches in general because tons of FREE scouting reports. These coaches tell you about your squad and you get a wide range of opinions and ideas about your team.

37. Norseman says: Jan 6, 2014 6:21 PM

Honestly, as a Vikings fan I don’t see anyone out there that seems anything close to a sure thing to be a good head coach.

I could see Dan Quinn or Todd Bowles as DC or perhaps Jay Gruden or Greg Roman as OC, But not head coach.

Jack Del Rio is intriguing as a head coach, but so too would be an offense-minded college head coach like, perhaps, David Shaw at Stanford.

38. chuckiesez says: Jan 6, 2014 6:46 PM

I am hereby throwing my hat in the ring for the job of Head Coach of the Redskins. I will work cheap, asking for only 1 million per year along with getting a guarantee that I get my say. I will hire Fewell for my DC and Caldwell for my OC. I will tell Robert to grow up and shut the hell up or I will bench him, and if he seems hurt Capt. Kirk will play as long as I see fit. And most importantly, I will tell Danny Boy to sign the checks and stay in the owners box. Write-in votes welcome…..

39. angrylionsfan says: Jan 7, 2014 1:18 AM

As a Lions fan I’m still concerned that this will be the “Same Old Lions”. While I can’t say that I want them to take the desperate “shot gun approach” the Redskins are taking, but the silent treatment they are putting out so far scares me.

This next hire will make or break the franchise, and Megatron and Stafford’s careers. If we squander these next 3-5 seasons I have little hope that the Lions will NEVER win a SB. I’m pulling for Wisenhunt at this point. I’d love to see Cowher or Dungy but let’s face it it won’t happen.

40. jgedgar70 says: Jan 7, 2014 5:27 PM

I know McDermott is still a little bitter about his exit from Philly, that his work the past 3 years with Carolina has proven that he is an elite DC even if his name isn’t Jim Johnson, and he wants to be a head coach. But I’m hoping he will compare the Redskins during the Snyder era to the promising young team he is with now, and decides he’s better off where he is, at least until we win a Super Bowl or three.

STAY WITH THE PANTHERS!