Report: Romeo Crennel interviewing with Texans on Wednesday

Romeo Crennel AP

Shortly after Bill O’Brien became the head coach of the Texans, reports surfaced that he planned to appoint Romeo Crennel as his defensive coordinator.

The Texans cleared space for Crennel by dismissing Wade Phillips while parting ways with all but one assistant from Gary Kubiak’s staff and an official announcement about Crennel’s arrival could be coming in the near future. John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that Crennel is interviewing with O’Brien and the Texans on Wednesday and that he remains the leading candidate for the job.

Crennel did not work in the NFL in 2013, taking the year off after getting fired as the Chiefs’ head coach after the 2012 season. Crennel took over as the interim coach in Kansas City in 2011, starting his second stint as an NFL head coach after four years in the job with the Browns. Crennel was also defensive coordinator in New England from 2001-2004 and worked with Patriots coach Bill Belichick with the Giants and Jets when both were assistants under Bill Parcells. O’Brien later worked with Belichick in New England.

O’Brien held onto defensive line coach Bill Kollar from Kubiak’s staff and he’s expected to bring several of his assistants from Penn State on board as well.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Report: Romeo Crennel interviewing with Texans on Wednesday”
  1. bucrightoff says: Jan 8, 2014 11:22 AM

Is Mangini next on his list?

2. 8to80texansblog says: Jan 8, 2014 11:23 AM

I’m not a huge fan of this…. I feel like he is very passive on defense. Like the bend don’t break methodology but I think in this pass happy league, that’s a good recipe to get torched…

Plus if I’m correct he runs a 4-3 and I’m not sure how well our personnel will fit into a 4-3.

3. marcolamorsa says: Jan 8, 2014 11:26 AM

TRANSLATION: You’re hired!

4. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 8, 2014 11:29 AM

8to80texansblog says:

I feel like he is very passive on defense.

_________________________

The great Pats defenses of the early 2000s were very aggressive actually. And the Pats prefer 3-4 as long as they have the personnel to play it and the majority of his time with the Pats that’s what they ran.

He’s a great DC, just a little too easy going to be a head coach.

5. 8to80texansblog says: Jan 8, 2014 11:31 AM

bucrightoff says:
    Jan 8, 2014 11:22 AM

Is Mangini next on his list?
    ______________

Many in Houston have speculated just that… Mangini will be his OC..

We’re transitioning from Denver South to New England South

6. dontasemebro says: Jan 8, 2014 11:33 AM

Still being payed by the Browns…
    Still being payed by the Chiefs…

Soon to be…Still getting paid by the Texans

7. htown1035 says: Jan 8, 2014 11:34 AM

8to80texansblog says:
    Jan 8, 2014 11:23 AM

———————————–
    He actually has run both, but in Kansas City it was a 3-4, and a proper 3-4 and not a hybrid 5-2 like Wade ran.

8. thehouseofho says: Jan 8, 2014 11:39 AM

8to80texansblog says:
    Jan 8, 2014 11:23 AM

=====

When Crennel was a defensive coordinator with the Patriots, he ran a modified 3-4 base defense he learned from Parcells and Belichick. His defenses were always very aggressive when he was a DC. Just look at the Patriots D during their title years.

As a head coach, he hired DCs who either primarily ran the 4-3 or were passive defensive playcallers. Not a good HC, but Crennel is definitely a great DC.

9. bassplucker says: Jan 8, 2014 11:54 AM

Good DC, horrific HC.

That 2-14 Chiefs team last year was the worst waste of talent I have ever seen.

10. scrp2 says: Jan 8, 2014 12:22 PM

Can’t wait till Wade Phillips’ new team smacks the Texans!

11. dualprime says: Jan 8, 2014 12:23 PM

Wade ran a 4-3 disguised as a 3-4 that got a little reckless with blitzes. (see CB’s getting torched often)

Crennel’s defenses are aggressive but smart, plus he’s getting pretty good personnel to work with. Should be a good hire!

12. dpdonny says: Jan 8, 2014 12:48 PM

Is Mangini next on his list?

Who?

13. tothefellowshipofthemiserable says: Jan 8, 2014 1:38 PM

Eric ” The Rat ” Mangini will never get a job from any Belichick coaching tree!!

14. arrowdead says: Jan 8, 2014 2:24 PM

RC is solid D coord he got that KC defense going but dont let him anywhere near the HC position.

15. arrowdead says: Jan 8, 2014 2:26 PM

but we know anything west of Worcester that tries to recreate the NE way fails pretty much miserably.

16. eddiek77 says: Jan 8, 2014 4:03 PM

Just what is it in the NFL that allows a guy who repeatedly loses as a head coach see his name bandied about as a candidate for yet another top job? Good Lord. Does he have to coach each and every team before someone has the gumption to say hey, the guy is no head coach?

17. dliwsrekoj says: Jan 8, 2014 8:06 PM

Great Job Texans! A very worthy sign! Almost as worthy as the 1 sheet of toilet paper I have left. Keep up the great work cause you’re sure doing a great job!

18. rogerrodgers says: Jan 10, 2014 4:06 AM

Oh Romeo, thou Romeo should just retire because he is NOT GOOD at all.