Auburn’s Tre Mason leaving school early for NFL Draft

Tre Mason AP

While recent drafts haven’t been so kind of top college running backs, not many college running backs have finished with the kind of kick Auburn’s Tre Mason did.

The school announced the junior running back will leave school to enter the NFL Draft.

Mason gained 1,816 yards on 317 carries this season, including 23 touchdowns. He averaged 5.7 yards per attempt, and put up an amazing 304 yards on Missouri in the SEC title game. His 195 yards against Florida State in the national title game was merely exceptional.

Only four running backs have been drafted in the first round of the last three drafts, none last year. And of that group, only Trent Richardson (third overall by the Browns in 2012, and then traded to the Colts) was chosen higher than 28th.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Auburn’s Tre Mason leaving school early for NFL Draft”
  1. gochargersgo says: Jan 9, 2014 2:23 PM

Like you said, the RB draft process essentially begins at the end of rd 1 these days. Only the top teams can really afford to use their top choice on what has become a luxury pick, everybody else has more important needs. Especially after what happened with the last guy who went that high.

2. canadianbucsfan says: Jan 9, 2014 2:29 PM

I think he’ll go mid 2nd round, should be a exciting player.

3. brohamma says: Jan 9, 2014 2:30 PM

What happened with the “start working towards the second contract” mantra? Do you expect the runningback market to suddenly reverse in 2015??

4. r8rsfan says: Jan 9, 2014 2:30 PM

So much for that Heisman pose he did after the final TD.

5. bgm9876 says: Jan 9, 2014 2:31 PM

He should have a nice NFL career.

6. paychrisjohnson28 says: Jan 9, 2014 2:34 PM

I hope my Tennessee Titans draft Mr. Tre Mason and release the complaining Chris Johnson #28… Mason would be an absolutely great addition to the Titans…

I made this screen name before Chris Johnson’s last contract when he was still averaging over 4.3 yards a carry.. now he is averaging 3.8 yards a carry…

I believe that Tre Mason will definitely be a 1st round pick in the NFL draft and that he will be a star in the NFL… he is the type of physical back with speed who can break multiple tackles and score that are hard to find… I became a fan of his after watching the last 2 games he played for Auburn…Wow!

7. pascalswager42 says: Jan 9, 2014 2:36 PM

Browns need an RB in this draft…I like him, Seastrunk and Carlos Hyde in Rds 2-4.

8. claymatthewshairplugs says: Jan 9, 2014 2:36 PM

No way this guy goes in the 1st round. Everyone was saying Trent Richardson was like Adrian Peterson and thats why he was drafted so high. We all now see who Richardson really is, a dancing RB who falls after gaining a yard and is the definition of bust. Mason to me looks like nothing more than a change of pace back. Truth hurts.

9. atleastimnotaraidersfan says: Jan 9, 2014 2:38 PM

“Mason certainly has value, but he’s entering the league at a time when backs are having a harder time getting people to spend high picks or big money on them.”

So are you suggesting he stay another year? What’s the benefit of this? His draft stock is not likely going up. Rbs should always come out as soon as they can IMO.

10. chunkderrrty says: Jan 9, 2014 2:39 PM

The raiders will get him with their 2nd round pick

11. daltongang1 says: Jan 9, 2014 2:39 PM

Tre looks like Eddie Lacy 2.0. Should be a late 1st or early 2nd rd pick.

12. billbraskyisasonofabitch says: Jan 9, 2014 2:40 PM

He’ll be great. He is far better than TRich and may be the best back to enter the draft since Doug Martin. I say 12-20 range depending on the team needs

13. stampede101 says: Jan 9, 2014 2:42 PM

If the Auburn band didn’t play any De La Soul songs during his time there…they should all be expelled from school.

14. theesquireof212 says: Jan 9, 2014 2:58 PM

Andre Williams and James Wilder, Jr. have better value. Guys like Mason (system creation) are a dime a dozen.

15. raideralex says: Jan 9, 2014 3:01 PM

Tre didn’t like the thought of getting 548 carries next season.

16. pillowporkers says: Jan 9, 2014 3:03 PM

Someone said Tre Mason was like Eddie Lacy? I’ve never seen Tre Mason run over anyone. I don’t see that comparison at all. To me, I just don’t see an elite RB in Tre Mason. However, I think if you put him in the right system he could be good. To me, he looks more like an Arian Foster, good vision and balance, gets whats there, but doesn’t break enough tackles to be elite. In the NFL, you hardly get those wide open holes he’s been getting in college. Sometimes you have to rely on your RB making a guy miss for a big play.

17. wabbitslayer says: Jan 9, 2014 3:09 PM

I guess he was somehow able to get over all his feelings of how he let his teammates down. LOL

18. radioactivechimp says: Jan 9, 2014 3:16 PM

I think he’ll be a solid workhorse back at the next level. Reminds me of Travis Henry a bit, except for the fact that Mason isn’t a lazy idiot…

19. theesquireof212 says: Jan 9, 2014 3:17 PM

Product of a gimmicky offense like Alfred Morris.

20. bigbluenationdb says: Jan 9, 2014 3:20 PM

I think Mason will be fine in the NFL. He reminds me of Jones-Drew. Built just like MJD. He runs hard between the tackles and has the ability to get outside. Biggest question mark with him is can he catch the ball out of the backfield. That is key in todays NFL.

How many 2-3 yard runs did he have up inside against and FSU team that has 4 potential NFL players on the dline. We already know the Jerrigen (DT for FSU) is one of the best DTs in college football and projected to be the #1 DT taken in the draft.

21. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Jan 9, 2014 3:40 PM

He’s a good back that will excel with the right team.

22. spicymudbugs says: Jan 9, 2014 3:44 PM

Backs are a dime a dozen. A good offensive line will make any RB look good. I’d rather spend the high draft pick and dollars on the lines

23. brohamma says: Jan 9, 2014 4:07 PM

radioactivechimp says:Jan 9, 2014 3:16 PM

—————————————————-
    Except for the fact that Mason isn’t a lazy idiot?? So you mean that he is similar to Travis Henry in the sense that he could possibly..
    – have at least 11 children by 10 different women
    or
    – be arrested for failure to pay child support
    or
    – violate the league’s substance abuse policy repeatedly
    or
    – be released one year into a five year 22.5mil contract.. (guess this was the lazy idiot part you referenced)
    or
    – be convicted of conspiracy to distribute cocaine, be fined four million dollars and serve three years in a federal prison on a plea bargin?

Really? You sure Travis Henry is a good comparison.. the “lazy idiot” thing aside?

24. realitypolice says: Jan 9, 2014 4:10 PM

Guess when he made the decision he definitely focused on “Me, Myself & I”.

25. garyhd01 says: Jan 9, 2014 4:56 PM

the rams have some holes but rb isnt really one of them… that said if we can trade down from the 2nd overall pick and add a couple extra picks i could see him joining zac stacy in the rams backfield. vision and power he and zac have both, but to keep either in the league for 6-8 years neither can run the rock 25 times a game 16 games a year however if they split 30 carries a game they would surely stay fresher throughout the years!!

26. 2much4u2take says: Jan 10, 2014 7:22 AM

Esquire is right, he is a system made RB. I like Kadeem Carey and Andre Williams better. After that, I like Sankey and Wilder.