b5fcc05f4a35df3e4ece3fdd144995ef Reuters

The Dolphins spoke to Eagles quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor about their vacant offensive coordinator position on Wednesday and a couple of Mike Shanahan proteges may be joining him on the interview list.

Multiple reports indicate that the Dolphins are interested in speaking to Kyle Shanahan, who is Mike Shanahan’s son in addition to having been his father’s offensive coordinator before their run with the Redskins came to an end last week. Peter Schrager of FOX Sports reports the Dolphins are “working out plans” to interview him this week.

Before moving to Washington with his dad, Shanahan spent two years as Gary Kubiak’s offensive coordinator in Houston which means he may wind up in competition with his former boss. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Kubiak, who was a longtime member of the elder Shanahan’s offensive staff in Denver, is “high” on Miami’s radar for the offensive coordinator position. Kubiak, who was fired by the Texans during the regular season, has also interviewed for the head coaching job in Detroit.

Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo, who worked with Miami head coach Joe Philbin in Green Bay, has also been linked with the opening. He’s also interviewed for the Browns head coaching job and is scheduled to meet with the Giants about their offensive coordinator opening this weekend.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Home, Miami Dolphins, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Dolphins reportedly interested in Gary Kubiak, Kyle Shanahan for offensive coordinator”
  1. redmanalishi says: Jan 9, 2014 9:00 AM

Kyle Shanahan? After all we’ve heard about Washington? Just… don’t.

2. igotgamenj says: Jan 9, 2014 9:21 AM

Looks like Miami is going to get a real good offensive coordinator.

3. ryann252013 says: Jan 9, 2014 9:41 AM

It would be awesome if the dolphins hired Kubiak, as a jet fan I would love to see a Rex defense vs a Kubiak offense twice a year.

4. 1uniquename says: Jan 9, 2014 9:58 AM

I’m personally not high on either one of these guys, at least not yet. I would much rather they wait for a GM to be hired before making a decision like this so at the very least the GM and O coordinator can be on the same page because theres a chance Philbin will not be.

5. joetoronto says: Jan 9, 2014 10:25 AM

Oh man, SMH.

6. htown1035 says: Jan 9, 2014 10:31 AM

Kubiak would be a great offensive coordinator – HC maybe not.

7. irkjames says: Jan 9, 2014 10:59 AM

Gary Kubiak won playoff games with T.J. Yates and Matt Schaub at QB. He’s the type of offensive mind that doesn’t require 1st-round passing talent. We at least already have a 1st-round talent at QB who shows promise.

Please take Miami’s OC job. We need you.

8. miriam45 says: Jan 9, 2014 11:08 AM

A GM should be hired before an OC and the GM should be approving the hiring.

9. forsbergler says: Jan 9, 2014 11:19 AM

This guys a great HC. Miami would be lucky to get these two.

10. gojags says: Jan 9, 2014 12:23 PM

Kubiak is a damn good coach and an even better offensive mind. I am glad the texans got rid of him.

11. Stiller43 says: Jan 9, 2014 12:55 PM

Sorry dolphins fans

12. finsbooyah says: Jan 9, 2014 12:57 PM

I was thinking that Kubiak would be the ideal choice, but I never mentioned it to anyone because I thought it was unrealistic.

Please make sure this happens, Miami.

13. buddydeath says: Jan 9, 2014 1:24 PM

The craziest thing I read all year was that Kubiak never let his QBs ever call audibles. Absolutely insane.
    These two worked together before, I set on my couch and called every play they were running.

14. tarniman says: Jan 10, 2014 7:15 AM

I actually like Kubiak for this position…the thing I dont like about him is I don’t look at him as a power running coach and we need to reestablish our running game

15. defscottyb says: Jan 10, 2014 11:35 AM

Kyle Shanahan was an excellent OC for the Skins. This coming from a huge Skins fan. The O was very good with him there. It was the D that sucked and Haslett is still there… smh. Whoever gets Kyle is getting a pro, believe me.