Report: Bucs, Dolphins request permission to interview Tom Gamble

frontoffice_gamble_022013

When the Dolphins parted ways with General Manager Jeff Ireland this week, one of the first names mentioned as a potential candidate to replace him was Eagles V.P. of player personnel Tom Gamble.

Gamble’s name wasn’t been part of any reports of the interviews that the team’s been lining up over the last couple of days, but that changed on Friday afternoon. Adam Caplan of ESPN reports that the Dolphins have requested permission to interview Gamble for the opening. Caplan adds that the Bucs have also requested permission for an interview, but there’s no word on when or if the interview will take place.

Gamble moved to the Eagles from the 49ers in February 2013 and began his NFL career in Philly in 1988 when his father was the team’s president. He also worked for the Jets and Colts before making his way to San Francisco. Gamble interviewed for G.M. jobs last offseason before heading the Philadelphia to work under General Manager Howie Roseman.

The Dolphins and Bucs also have shared interest in Giants exec Marc Ross as they work through the process of finding their next general manager.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
19 Responses to “Report: Bucs, Dolphins request permission to interview Tom Gamble”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 10, 2014 3:32 PM

Why don’t both teams just do the interviews together, they all want exactly the same people with hardly any original thought.

2. phinagain says: Jan 10, 2014 3:47 PM

Another candidate from the eagles. It would seem the Dolphins like the offense that’s in place there.

Also, someone go tell the Miami Herald there’s a new “leading candidate” for the GM job.

3. lbmclean says: Jan 10, 2014 3:54 PM

Interviewing the most qualified people is not original thinking, but probably the way to go.

4. gojags says: Jan 10, 2014 4:03 PM

I remember this photo when my jags were searching for a GM.

5. cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Jan 10, 2014 4:04 PM

I doubt he even agrees. No offense to Dolphins or Bucs fans but the only reason Tom left the 49ers for the Eagles in the first place was because his parents (or parent, can’t remember exactly) lives in the Philly area and is in poor health. Unless said family member has passed on that is, which I hope isn’t the case.

6. gosfvr says: Jan 10, 2014 4:12 PM

One of the things that surprises me is no one is talking about Scot McCloughan.
    I guess his messy departure from San Francisco really tainted him.
    He was a very very good talent evaluator.

7. djteknision1200 says: Jan 10, 2014 4:13 PM

when you are in the same circle and profession, people network. Names of up and comers are topic of conversation, so yeah it would be the same names mentioned for these openings. thats how the corporate world work.

8. gemini611 says: Jan 10, 2014 4:15 PM

Gamble this year, Jim Harbaugh next year.

9. wjmoffatt says: Jan 10, 2014 4:18 PM

I’ll be highly upset if the Bucs hire this man after they fired Mark Dominique. This wouldn’t be an upgrade.

10. dolphins4 says: Jan 10, 2014 4:21 PM

I hope he stays in Philadelphia the Eagles need him.

11. gromgrimfist says: Jan 10, 2014 4:24 PM

I really hope Gable doesn’t leave he is a great talent evaluator and we could use a few more years of his draft knowledge

12. ochospantalones says: Jan 10, 2014 4:40 PM

I think Tom Gamble will wait for a real GM job. It seems pretty clear Lovie Smith has final say in Tampa, and who knows what’s going on in Miami? I can’t imagine Gamble moving out of his hometown after one year so he can sink in to the morass.

13. lightninglucci says: Jan 10, 2014 4:56 PM

Brian Griffin lives!

14. phinagain says: Jan 10, 2014 5:04 PM

I keep seeing comments that refer to some kind of unknown about the GM role in Miami. The owner made clear yesterday that the GM will have final say over personnel and report directly to him. What is the mystery?

Plus, if the job duties and responsibilities are not clear (to the general public, anyway), I would think that’s the kind of thing you could, you know, ask in the interview. That’s just me, though.

15. drbob117 says: Jan 10, 2014 5:22 PM

Why is it that whenever I see his picture I think : “You dirty rat… I’m a gonna give it to you , before you give it to me , you dirty rat!”

16. clintm10 says: Jan 10, 2014 6:18 PM

“Josh can I see you in my office please, you forgot a snide comment directed at the Dolphins in your last post”

17. nflgreedleague says: Jan 10, 2014 6:46 PM

LMAO
    TRUE SO TRUE

18. laxcoach37 says: Jan 10, 2014 7:40 PM

@clintm10

LOL! You win comment of the day!!

19. bbrophy1 says: Jan 11, 2014 2:01 PM

Tom Gamble looks like a heavier version of Friday Night Lights Coach Eric Taylor