Report: Ray Farmer “leading candidate” for Dolphins’ G.M. role

farmer_2

In the Dolphins’ G.M. search, one AFC evaluator looks to be the favorite.

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, Browns assistant G.M. Ray Farmer is the “leading candidate” to replace Jeff Ireland as the Dolphins’ general manager, according to multiple sources.

Former Chiefs president Carl Peterson, a consultant in the Dolphins’ search, is very fond of Farmer, Salguero reported Friday. Farmer and Peterson worked together in the Chiefs’ front office.

Farmer joined the Browns’ front office in 2013. He interviewed for the Browns’ G.M. job last offseason.

In a statement released Thursday, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said the club’s new G.M. will have the final call on the 53-player roster and report to the owner.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Report: Ray Farmer “leading candidate” for Dolphins’ G.M. role”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 10, 2014 12:57 PM

Well if you already personally know somebody that you like, then why even bother asking other people to explain why they would be a better choice?

2. daddyb1gdrawz says: Jan 10, 2014 12:57 PM

We will see if this materializes but if Carl Peterson endorses him he will more than likely be the guy. Ross holds Peterson in high regard.

3. jmac34 says: Jan 10, 2014 1:00 PM

Maybe Ray can plant some seeds of hope for Dolphin fans by cultivating the talent in Miami into a winner

4. tavisteelersfan says: Jan 10, 2014 1:09 PM

Like the seeds of hope he planted for Browns fans.

5. surfinbird1 says: Jan 10, 2014 1:15 PM

I heard Farmer was out standing in his field.

6. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 10, 2014 1:16 PM

Working in Ray’s favor is that in an emergency he can fill in at several positions on the defensive and offensive lines.

7. phinagain says: Jan 10, 2014 1:18 PM

If he doesn’t get hired, Armando will say that what he meant by “leading” was that Farmer was the first person they interviewed.

He could be a good hire, as he is well-regarded and a GM position was inevitable for him somewhere

8. brownsclown says: Jan 10, 2014 1:19 PM

There goes the brains of the Browns front office! Can you even imagine the disaster of Bummer and Dumbardturdi having 10 selections? Is it too late to bring back Mangini?

9. klroot says: Jan 10, 2014 1:33 PM

Jim Haslam needs to promote Ray farmer and release Banner, & Lombardi, alas all is backwards in Cleveland.

Wuzz a Brown’s Fanatic

10. itssocoldinthed says: Jan 10, 2014 1:40 PM

I guess he went rogue and totally ignored the Fritz Pollard Alliance’s advice that this “GM Lite” role was not good for minority candidates

11. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 10, 2014 1:41 PM

My father interviewed me to serve as his personal financial advisor. I was the leading candidate and he didn’t schedule any other interviews. Guess what, I got the job. Hopefully for my dad’s sake I know what I’m doing, but I don’t think he really cares about how I perform, he just really wanted me to have the business because he likes me a lot. If I found a way to lose everything he still won’t fire me.

12. PeterKingLovesCoqAVin says: Jan 10, 2014 1:43 PM

That dude looks scary as all get out.

13. revischrist16 says: Jan 10, 2014 1:50 PM

I quickly saw Ray and Dolphins and thought this was about Ray Finkle, one hell of a model American

14. phinfan says: Jan 10, 2014 1:57 PM

I would not want to mess with that dude.

15. Patskrieg dot com says: Jan 10, 2014 2:02 PM

Director of Pro Personnel in Kansas City 2006 – 2012 – The team finished above .500 twice in Farmer’s 6 years there and was last in he division 4 times.

Assistant GM in Cleveland – Came in a year after Josh Gordon had been acquired so not responsible for their best find in a decade, team finished last in their division.

Please Dolphins, get this guy.

16. canehouse says: Jan 10, 2014 2:07 PM

I have very little faith in anything that Ross decides on… and which Chiefs team that Peterson was the architect of actually won a superbowl… or even made it to a superbowl??

17. wannstache says: Jan 10, 2014 2:10 PM

Saying he’s the Dolphins leading candidate really means nothing. Yes, they may want him, but just because he takes the interview doesn’t mean he wants the job. The only way I see him taking a job in this cesspool of a front office is if a) he is given full GM power, or b) his contract allows him to leave if a true GM position comes open.

18. ttommytom says: Jan 10, 2014 3:18 PM

What does ‘Fritz the Cat’ have to say about this ???

19. godofwine330 says: Jan 10, 2014 3:57 PM

The Browns are stupid to let this guy go. Nobody wanted Lombardi for 6 years, and no one would want him if we fired him today. Instead we are going to let a guy leave who should be the one calling the shots. Typical Cleveland. Sometimes I hate that I love this team.

20. oldcracker says: Jan 10, 2014 5:46 PM

“Typical of Cleveland. Sometimes I hate that I love this team.” – Amen, Brother, amen!

21. dolfandon says: Jan 13, 2014 8:34 AM

Because the Browns are so freakin loaded with talent that this guy and that organization is what you should go after. God I hate this owner.