Steve Smith admits he was just making up numbers

Steve Smith AP

If there’s anything Steve Smith likes more than baiting cornerbacks or catching passes, it’s messing with people.

So yes, he was making it all up when he declared himself 71 percent, or 57 percent earlier in the week as he comes back from a PCL sprain.

“Can I be honest with the number?” Smith said, via David Newton of ESPN.com.”I just randomly pick numbers.

“Yesterday wasn’t as good as I expected, but as far as the numbers, I just pick numbers. Like I picked 57 at about 6:45 a.m. [Thursday] when I woke up to get treatment. Jeff Byers [injured center] said I should do 62. I said 57.  So we played Rock-Paper-Scissors for 57 and I won. See, I have kids and he doesn’t. I’m well experienced for Rock-Paper-Scissors.”

Smith’s knee doubtless hurts, but there’s no chance he was missing this one.

He’s lived through 1-15 and 2-14 nearly a decade apart as a member of the Panthers, and with the team about to play its first playoff game in five years, he wasn’t going to not be on the field.

Even if he was 33 percent, or less.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
16 Responses to “Steve Smith admits he was just making up numbers”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 10, 2014 2:38 PM

Just drop the tease and call him a funny percen.

2. yordo says: Jan 10, 2014 2:42 PM

They love fining players for not talking, but they should fine Smith if he doesn’t shut up.

3. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 10, 2014 2:46 PM

Where do you pull those numbers from, Steve?

4. orivar says: Jan 10, 2014 2:51 PM

He also lived with Delhomme almost taking them to the Superbowl until his skill level drastically dropped. Nobody has ever had an explanation for what happened to Delhomme that day and it still confuses me. I’ve never seen somebody just straight up suck and never come back. Did he have an injury in his throwing arm that was never diagnosed or what? Couldn’t even throw a deep ball.

5. 5to46hawkfan says: Jan 10, 2014 2:52 PM

How can you not like this guy!!!!! Funny

6. jayniner says: Jan 10, 2014 2:53 PM

So in other words, he’s playing.

Could have just said that, Steve…

7. davikes says: Jan 10, 2014 2:54 PM

Now that’s funny.

8. sixaceduece says: Jan 10, 2014 2:57 PM

Did anyone really take him seriously? Of course he was making that stuff up, and of course he’s playing on sunday.

What you can take away from Steve Smith’s situation is that he has yet to complete a full practice in over a month. Smith has been limited all week long, he didn’t even complete a walkthrough today.

Smith will be there on sunday, but you have to wonder how a 36 yr old WR with a bad wheel will hold up.

9. mattspapi says: Jan 10, 2014 2:58 PM

The Mouth that Roared…never in the course of NFL history has there been a player who talks more and does less when it counts…and this Sunday when it counts he will once again be a non factor…because of a non contact knee pop from a never was prime logorrheic selfie

10. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Jan 10, 2014 3:01 PM

He should work for the federal government.

11. corkspop says: Jan 10, 2014 3:12 PM

So, if anyone…. jayniner? …..believed that those numbers were anything but made up… then Smith accomplished just what he wanted. I’m expecting that he will play Sunday, and, be a distraction or disruption to the SF defense….. also just what he wants.

12. Wineshard says: Jan 10, 2014 4:11 PM

What I want to know is if he will be at his full 110% come game day? Or will he be a little less, like 102%?

13. dirtysouthniner says: Jan 10, 2014 5:13 PM

Great competitor

14. corduroy88 says: Jan 10, 2014 6:47 PM

Undoubtedly?

15. rcrectortray says: Jan 10, 2014 10:45 PM

To make a comment like “talks more and does less when it counts” must not know Steve Smith. Let’s take a step back in time. 2001 Smith comes into the league as punt returner, first time out fielding a punt in his first regular season game runs it back for a touchdown. 2003 Smith catches a 60+ yard touchdown pass in double overtime to advance the Panthers to the NFC championship game, he finished that game with 150+ yards receiving and 1 touchdown. 2005 Smith goes into Chicago and puts up 200+ yards receiving and 2 touchdowns to help the Panthers advance to another NFC championship game.

16. savilo831 says: Jan 10, 2014 11:37 PM

He’ll be saying zero after the game!!!!