Chargers fans clash with Broncos fan in San Diego

104276846_display_image Getty Images

The last time the Chargers played the Broncos, a stabbing happened in the parking lot at Mile High Stadium, unrelated to fan loyalties.  This time, a fan-related brawl occurred — in San Diego.

According to NBCSanDiego.com, a gathering of Chargers fans at 4th Street and Highland Avenue in National City was infiltrated by a man wearing a Broncos jersey.  He began to taunt Chargers fans.

And nature took its course.

Video posted at YouTube shows that the Broncos fan was punched and kicked in the head, with one of the aggressors wearing an outdated Antonio Cromartie jersey.

The victim wasn’t taken to a hospital, and there were no serious injuries or arrests.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
41 Responses to “Chargers fans clash with Broncos fan in San Diego”
  1. scoops1 says: Jan 13, 2014 2:29 PM

did the worst outdated really have to used to describe the Cromartie jersey??

could the word ThrowBack be applied in a case like this to describe the jersey

2. maiphatdong says: Jan 13, 2014 2:33 PM

dummy

3. jjg8505 says: Jan 13, 2014 2:33 PM

Hell yea!!

4. grndizzle says: Jan 13, 2014 2:33 PM

The funny thing is the guy with the Cromartie jersey probably doesn’t even know he’s not on the team anymore.

5. pastabelly says: Jan 13, 2014 2:35 PM

Nobody deserves to get beaten up over sports, but that Denver fan deserved to be beaten up based on stupidity.

6. seidinho says: Jan 13, 2014 2:38 PM

Just FYI: National City is the hood of San Diego

7. sullijo1 says: Jan 13, 2014 2:40 PM

I didn’t think San Diego fans really cared…..they don’t show up to games.

8. raiderufan says: Jan 13, 2014 2:44 PM

I certainly do not endorse this kind of behaviour but, honestly, what did he expect to happen?

9. schmitty2 says: Jan 13, 2014 2:48 PM

With all that flailing and stomping it looked like Rivers in the middle of a tantrum.

10. briansalo1 says: Jan 13, 2014 2:51 PM

Four people have been arrested now, but yeah, it’s your own fault if you’re in National City after dark in an opposing teams jersey anyways.

11. buckshowalter says: Jan 13, 2014 2:51 PM

Neanderthals.

12. bleedburgandyandgold says: Jan 13, 2014 2:53 PM

Stupidity breeds stupidity

13. leftlaneisforpassingonly says: Jan 13, 2014 2:54 PM

That’s not a “clash” or even a fight. That’s a lesson in what can go wrong when you decide to do something that 999 out of 1,000 people would say is a stupid thing to do.

14. sdnative1904 says: Jan 13, 2014 2:59 PM

Hence the phrase “Go Home Tourist”

1904

15. riverhorsey says: Jan 13, 2014 2:59 PM

There were no arrests? Wow, the cops were standing right there.

16. gotspiccoli2013 says: Jan 13, 2014 3:01 PM

17. mrgroovesd says: Jan 13, 2014 3:04 PM

The Bronco’s fan knew what he was doing going down there. He was arrogant about it and some of the people there didn’t appreciate it. I don’t condone violence but really? How dumb do you have to be to go down there like that.

18. taintedsaints2009 says: Jan 13, 2014 3:13 PM

the cops are here! lets keep fighting!

19. frostymugobeer says: Jan 13, 2014 3:14 PM

WOW….isn’t anyone concerned that we all have to watch what we wear or it may cause that?

let metell you,this would not have been an issue 30 years ago fans and people in general were more polite and respectful…the fact that it appears so acceptable is scarier than the fact that it happened….shame

20. frank booth says: Jan 13, 2014 3:16 PM

When keeping it real goes wrong.

21. randyschwimmer7 says: Jan 13, 2014 3:17 PM

HA, typical SD fans mad when things don’t go their way. I have been to numerous games at the Murph…in Broncos gear, and the Broncos pull in so many fans that it is almost a home game for them. The best is when the Charger fans try to taunt, all you have to do is ask them when the last time they won a Lombardi was. It hushes them up rather quickly.

22. azwildcats96 says: Jan 13, 2014 3:20 PM

You don’t condone violence but he was doing something dumb so he deserved it? Would you say the same thing to a Dodgers fan going to a game in San Francisco?

23. throwmetheidol says: Jan 13, 2014 3:21 PM

No one deserves that. But the guy a total dumb *** for putting himself in that situation. Bet he doesn’t do it again.

24. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 13, 2014 3:21 PM

The victim was examined at the scene by paramedics, where it was determined that yes, in fact, he was an idiot.

25. tfbuckfutter says: Jan 13, 2014 3:32 PM

It may not be an outdated jersey.

He’s a Chargers fan, and there is a very high likelihood of him having the last name “Cromartie”, so maybe it’s a custom job.

26. jersey73 says: Jan 13, 2014 3:35 PM

Granted this wasn’t at a stadium…but incidents like this explain why I’d rather watch a game in the comfort of my own home with a big screen HD TV.

27. jerrysshadescleaner says: Jan 13, 2014 3:37 PM

Show me your thunderbolt!!!

28. trollhammer20 says: Jan 13, 2014 3:39 PM

“Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”

29. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 13, 2014 3:39 PM

Might have been one of Cromartie’s kids from his days on the West Coast.

30. flexx91 says: Jan 13, 2014 3:43 PM

Asking a Falcons fan when was the last time they won a Lombardi doesn’t seem to work. The only reason most of them show up for home Falcons games is because it actually costs more to watch an afternoon matinee at a local movie theater.

31. JSpicoli says: Jan 13, 2014 4:01 PM

Fat guy tries to throw a punch. Film at 11.

32. briscocountyjr says: Jan 13, 2014 4:02 PM

This video is being considered for transmission into space to introduce our species to other galaxies.

33. briscocountyjr says: Jan 13, 2014 4:11 PM

Oh, also, everyone thinks his jersey says Cromartie, but it actually says Cromagnon… and that’s even more outdated.

34. asublimeday says: Jan 13, 2014 4:33 PM

Looks a lot like what Peyton did to their defense

35. JSpicoli says: Jan 13, 2014 4:34 PM

What do you call it when a small percentage of a population commits a hugely disproportional amount of the crime?

Nothing if you are the media. This is the #1 problem in America.

36. buffalowned says: Jan 13, 2014 4:43 PM

“I know these things happen at these games. But the major difference between the Chargers stadium and the Buffalo Bills stadium is the police did something. I took my father in law to a bills game (lowercase on purpose) and as we walked through the parking lot (yes wearing opponent jerseys) a group started harrasing us and one individual threw a cooler at my father in law. I can take care of myself but my father in law is pretty old. I was shocked when I realized the police where 10 ft away and aware and did absolutely nothing. I contacted the Bills organization about the incident and their reply is we are aware that fans can get rowdy but we are not going to do anything more than what we are already doing. I will never go back to Ralph Wilson stadium, even if its free tickets for being an Army Vet.”

Not condoning cooler throwing or violent behavior but if you wear another team’s jersey into the Ralph you’re going to get harassed, no matter what age or gender you are. This isn’t Florida this is a passionate blue collar fan base. I would never wear my Bills jersey in Oakland and expect them to embrace me.

37. weepingjebus says: Jan 13, 2014 4:54 PM

Saints coaches are watching this and furiously scribbling notes.

38. joetoronto says: Jan 13, 2014 5:21 PM

He must have asked them if they have rings.

39. dalcow4 says: Jan 13, 2014 6:26 PM

National City?? Dude is lucky he was wearing a Broncos jersey and not a US National Team soccer jersey.

40. suckit619 says: Jan 13, 2014 9:36 PM

I live in San Diego and all I can say is Charger fans are not passionate enough to beat somebody up after losing unless they asked for it. This guy was talking smack and calling out every charger fan before he got handled. He probably has a bad headache right now… and he asked for it….

41. Savage Lizard says: Jan 14, 2014 2:46 AM

“all you have to do is ask them when the last time they won a Lombardi was.”

That’s the standard Raider fan play, I don’t think I’d be bragging about it.