Maclin realizes his ACL limits his contract negotiating leverage

Jeremy+Maclin+Washington+Redskins+v+Philadelphia+xDgP1gWiIrul Getty Images

Eagles receiver Jeremy Maclin, who missed the entire 2013 season with a torn ACL, becomes a free agent in March. And he knows he’s in a much worse position negotiating for a new contract than he would be if he had been healthy last year.

Maclin told CSNPhilly.com that he realizes he may have to settle for a one-year prove-it deal, instead of a lucrative long-term contract.

“I understand it could be a possibility that [the ACL tear] may scare some teams off, or a team may want to do a one-year deal as opposed to a long-term contract,” Maclin said. “That’s the game, that’s the business.”

Maclin said he has spoken with the Eagles about staying in Philadelphia, but he doesn’t know what the future holds.

“Both sides have had talks,” Maclin said. “I respect [GM] Howie [Roseman]. I understand this is a business, I understand he has to look out for what’s best for the organization, and that’s what he’s supposed to do. I have all the faith that he’s going to do what’s best for the organization, whether that’s deciding to keep me there or moving in another direction. I’m a realist, I understand that’s a possibility. For a team that wants to give me a one-year deal, that’s cool, I’ll just go out there and ball out, do the things I think I can do. Hopefully get that type of deal I’m looking for.”

Maclin may have to settle for a one-year deal in 2014, and get the type of deal he’s looking for in 2015.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Maclin realizes his ACL limits his contract negotiating leverage”
  1. rubenxx7 says: Jan 13, 2014 4:48 PM

maclin runs the best routes in the nfl look out if eagles do sign him he will fit in kellys system perfectly.

2. orivar says: Jan 13, 2014 4:48 PM

Pretty much. Yet people (fans) have a problem with players who are all about getting their money. I’m for it as all it takes is one moment to ruin your career. That being said when it’s overboard like Revis then it’s a problem.

3. pixelito says: Jan 13, 2014 4:49 PM

That whole draft class ended up being a injury bust. Nicks, Harvin, Maclin… The one who has yet to hit his ceiling is Crabtree, who’s career started off much slower than the rest.

4. chc36 says: Jan 13, 2014 4:49 PM

Could this be the type of receiver Ozzie is talking about? I sure wouldn’t mind…Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown, and Jeremy Maclin, if Ravens get the O-line sorted out I would be perfectly content

5. doctorrustbelt says: Jan 13, 2014 4:51 PM

Broken mediocre wide receiver with weak negotiating position.

Cheap Bengals owner mike brown’s kind of guy.

6. steves11 says: Jan 13, 2014 4:52 PM

The only way Maclin comes back to the Eagles is on a one year deal. He’s got to prove that he’s healthy and can be at least as productive as he was before the injury. If he can do that, then he’s got a good chance at a long term deal. But he has to realize that nobody “owes” him anything and he’s not in a good bargaining position right now.

7. ottawabrave91 says: Jan 13, 2014 4:54 PM

chiefs

8. phaktor333 says: Jan 13, 2014 4:58 PM

He does not have to settle for jack. He’s proven himself on this level. Negotiate for what you believe you are worth. If the Eagles don’t pony up, someone will. ACLs are not career killers anymore.

9. phillyphannnn83 says: Jan 13, 2014 4:59 PM

He “has” to realize that? I’m pretty sure everything he said shows he already does realize that. Thanks for your contribution though, it was useful.

10. riverhorsey says: Jan 13, 2014 5:04 PM

KC be a great fit for Macklin.

11. afcdomination says: Jan 13, 2014 5:05 PM

so many chief fans want this guy. I see it on every maclin related article since before the injury, and even after, they still want him

I have a hard time seeing him staying healthy. unless you are AP or Jamaal Charles, the ACL is usually the end. look at RGIII, dude was hobbled the entire season.

12. floratiotime says: Jan 13, 2014 5:10 PM

Limits as in eliminates.

13. cowboynation8 says: Jan 13, 2014 5:11 PM

Would look awful good in the silver and blue

14. socalraider909 says: Jan 13, 2014 5:26 PM

Raiders need some help at WR with all the money we are sitting on Reggie should grab him

15. rob471773 says: Jan 13, 2014 5:33 PM

Would love to see the Patriots sign him.

They need the help at WR, it’s a low risk, potential high reward signing.

Also, allows them not to rely 100% on there trio of developing WRs (Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce)

16. sdakota says: Jan 13, 2014 5:41 PM

never did anything before injury, doubt if he will after injury imo

17. therealtruth210 says: Jan 13, 2014 6:06 PM

Maclin runs the best routes in the NFL….says the delusional eagles fan….lol! Eagles fans make me laugh. The talk so much about a team who hasn’t won a championship in 54 years

18. alshonbrandontandem says: Jan 13, 2014 6:31 PM

Riley Cooper > Jeremy Maclin

19. tvjules says: Jan 13, 2014 6:54 PM

Luck could use him in Indy.

20. tmatic74 says: Jan 13, 2014 7:17 PM

I’m really impartial as a Eagles fan if he stays or goes. Maclin is just not a difference maker in the NFL. The type who should never get a mega deal. I like him as a Avant upgrade.

21. thatwasntsological says: Jan 13, 2014 7:18 PM

As an eagles fan,I would hate to see him go. He and Jackson make a good duo and now with the emergence of Riley Cooper as a legitimate threat, those three would make a great receiving core.

22. qweststrike2008 says: Jan 13, 2014 7:57 PM

Just resign with the Eagles and have DeSean hook you up. Word on the street is that dude keeps plenty of cash on hand…

23. nocryinginbaseball07 says: Jan 13, 2014 8:12 PM

“Eagles fans make me laugh. The talk so much about a team who hasn’t won a championship in 54 years”

And just who else are we supposed to talk about? Some other team? What does a championship have to do with loyalty and pride in your team? There are all kinds of Eagles fans, the good, the bad and the ugly, but we all have one thing in common – we root for and “talk about” the team we love. Sorry if you don’t have the same relationship with yours.

24. dolphins4 says: Jan 13, 2014 8:23 PM

I hope the Eagles resign him,he can be great in Chip Kelly’s offense.

25. captainwisdom8888 says: Jan 13, 2014 8:36 PM

i agree with ^^^ statement. We are all aware that the Eagles have not won a Superbowl. But it certainly speaks volumes that even though they have not reached the pinnacle of success, they still consistently boast one of the largest and most devoted fan bases in the entire NFL.

Its convenient being a Pats fan. Eagles fan…not so much. Yet they remain deeply loyal to their team.

Ask yourselves this question: When the Patriots no longer have Brady and it takes a few years to develop another QB. How much of the fan base in New England sticks with their team during the rebuilding process? And how many people simply “tune out” because they arent having the success they are used to having?

PHILLY DOESNT TUNE OUT

26. steves11 says: Jan 13, 2014 9:05 PM

In all fairness, the person who said that Maclin is simply not a difference maker, and therefore not deserving of a mega contract, pretty much hit the nail on the head. Maclin is a competent NFL wide receiver, maybe even slightly above average (when healthy), but he’s not in the class of a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald or some of the others who defensive coordinators fear. If the Eagles decide to keep both Maclin and Cooper, one of them should probably play the slot, replacing Avant, who is getting a bit long in the tooth and never was fast to begin with.

27. deangelo23hall says: Jan 13, 2014 9:30 PM

Turns out Maclin stole Jackson’s stuff and is using it for contract negotiations

28. twinsall13 says: Jan 14, 2014 12:51 AM

maclin has improved every year despite qb continuity. Nor has he bitched about money. Give this cat a shot and let Desean fetch what he thinks hes worth

29. dcstinks says: Jan 14, 2014 10:44 AM

PHILLY DOESNT TUNE OUT

‘Nuff said!

30. hereloaded says: Jan 16, 2014 9:25 PM

One of the plus sides to this is that Maclin is still young enough to get a few (maybe 4) productive seasons after the ACL tear. He’s also a slim guy which helps keeps resistance off that knee as much as possible .. I’ve had acl surgery and the challenge has always been pressure from weight and doing any cutting while running .. speed and quick cuts helps receivers get open and it will be interesting to see if maclin can beat the injury prone nature .. like Vick snd Brent celek.. and hopefully maclin doesn’t come off as a douche like desean….desean jackson just seems like a mean me me me guy