Tom Brady: No one’s going to pick us this week

AP

The Patriots are heading to the AFC Championship Game for the third straight year and for the eighth time overall since Tom Brady became the starting quarterback.

New England has won five of the previous seven trips to the conference title game, making them as successful a team as there’s been in the NFL over that stretch of time but Brady isn’t feeling like a favorite right now. During an appearance on WEEI on Monday, Brady embraced the role of underdog ahead of this week’s trip to Denver for a shot at a sixth trip to the Super Bowl.

“I know when we played Baltimore no one picked us to win and no one’s gonna pick us to win this week,” Brady said. “We’ve had our backs against the wall for a while, really the whole season. We’ve lost players and teams have really counted us out. We’ve got a bunch of underdogs on our team and we’ll be underdogs again. We’ll see how that shakes out at the end of the week.”

The Patriots are underdogs, but there will be plenty of people picking them this week. Whether it is because they believe in Bill Belichick’s ability to come up with a scheme that can slow Peyton Manning, think the revival of the running game in New England has made the Patriots more dangerous offensively or remember that the Patriots have already beaten the Broncos this season, New England will have its fair share of supporters.

Brady’s comments suggest that any such support won’t get in the way of the narrative that’s under construction in New England, though.

67 responses to “Tom Brady: No one’s going to pick us this week

1. The Disrespect card is back. Pats are at their best when they play with that chip on their shoulder, whether it’s real or perceived. Bring in Rodney Harrison for the pregame speech!

2. Lol Pats thrive in the underdog role so of course they’re going to play it up.

I don’t think either team has much of an edge but the Donks are at home so that gives them a small edge if nothing else.

I think the biggest matchup is the Pats secondary against the Denver receivers.

3. I wonder if they’re video taping again. It’s really the only explanation for their success this year.

Thankfully, it ends Sunday when Denver blows them out of the building.

4. I’ll pick them. Jack Del Rio is still the coach of that sorry a$$ D.

Brady vs. a Jack Del Rio coached D, including this season, 8-0 over 1700 yards 18 TD’s 0 Int’s qb rating 117.0

Say it doesn’t matter, you’re wrong.

5. .

There’s no narrative being written in New England. All narratives originate in Las Vegas, Nevada where the Broncos have been installed as 6 point favorites.

6. Captain Kangaroo could play QB for the Patriots or any other postion for that matter and they would still win at home. Good thing this game is on the road, you won’t have help from Ernie Adams. 9-0 at home and 3-4 on the road. Like America doesn’t know whats going on?

7. Almost hard to comprehend that. 8 conference championship games in 12 seasons. Pretty mind boggling success. Factor in the Steelers, Ravens, and Peyton Manning led teams, the AFC has been dominated for about 15 years straight now.

8. Nice try Tom……nobody’s buyin the “no respect” thing from the pats.
    the Broncos just endured a week of hearing how “HOT” the chargers are and “Rivers owns Manning in the playoffs”.
    I’m sure it will be another week of Tom has 10 wins against Manning….blah blah blah.

its gonna be a great game and a the team that doesn’t screw up will win.

I just hope it’s the Broncos because Manning deserves another ring.

9. I’m not sure why Denver is favored in this game. Losing Chris Harris this weekend will be HUGE. With that said I think Brady is being vocal about being an underdog to fire up the troops. I expect this to be a high scoring game.

10. I hate to say this, but right now, New England is playing better football.

Denver had San Diego on the carpet yesterday, and couldn’t put them away. With a 17-0 lead on your home field, you don’t let an inferior opponent back in the game. Honestly, if it weren’t for Manning’s passing on that last drive, San Diego probably sends that game to OT.

So, as much as I would prefer to see Denver in the Super Bowl, right now, my picks are Patriots – Seahawks.

11. If the Pats can jump out to an early lead, they can dictate the style of play and win comfortably.

The Pats need to play with the lead and keep hammering Denver’s defense with the Blount/Ridley power rushing attack behind a great run blocking O line.

This will set up a handful of big play action passes and keep Manning on the sideline.

12. cjspiller12 says:
    Jan 13, 2014 10:27 AM

2 of those 4 loses on road were by refs carolina and Jets… will see what happens this week.

13. this game will be determined simply by this single factor

which team can control the other teams running game by keeping the most people in pass protection

If the Patriots can force third and long and rush 3-4 guys then they have a chance

If Denver stops Patriots running game and forces them to open it up it will be tough for Gronkless New England ( a return from injury by Dobson would help a little )

14. That Broncos-Chargers game would have been very different if the Chargers had managed to hold onto that terrible Manning throw in the first quarter. The Patriots secondary may be mostly a bunch of homeless guys, but they will make that catch.

There were also at least three 3rd down conversions in the Pats-Colts game where everyone in the room agreed Welker would have dropped the pass if he’d still been on the team. So that won’t be an issue either … at least for us.

15. Don’t like either of these teams but the Pats have more balance. Their defense is looking pretty good where the Broncos D is more so so. Actually if you take Manning out of the mix I don’t think the broncos would have won eight games this year. The Pats definitely have the edge when it comes to coaching. At this point nothing will surprise me with regards to either team.

16. cjspiller12 obviously can’t add or do simple arithmatic…How do you go 3-4 on an 8 game road schedule?

Sorry your Bills are, well, so sorry…

Maybe next season you can climb up to 3rd overall in the division.

This game is going to be another instant classic regardless of who wins. Should be a fun Sunday as both games look to be great.

17. Wow, that is funny. I’m dumb? Where did I say anything about regular season? Yes, they were 8-0 at home during the regular season. They just won a playoff game at home and when I went to school that makes 9. They are 9-0 at home and 3-4 on the road. Seems to me you need to go back to school.

————-
    You know what was funny?

Wide right. I laughed when that happened.

18. cjspiller12 says: Jan 13, 2014 10:51 AM

—————————————————————-
    Nice try Bills fan but you do realize there are 16 regular season games right? 8-0 at home and 3-4 on the road only equals 15. I do like how you tried to get creative by adding in the playoff game. I share your strong dislike for the Pats however, so by all means, don’t let simple math get in the way of your smack talk!

19. As sick as I am of Brady and the Pats, I wouldn’t mind seeing them win the Super Bowl this year, just because it would drive the murderer Aaron Hernandez crazy to be missing out on it.

20. 2 wild card teams from one division and a #1 seed breaking all regular season records. It’s the easiest schedule in the league. The chargers were never that good they just looked good against crappy teams just like these broncos. After watching the other 3 games that game last night made we wonder how these two teams are even in the playoffs, they are both too soft for playoff football. Gotta put your big boy pants on this week or you’re getting steamrolled. Unlike SD, you gotta keep manning guessing, don’t move an inch during those hard counts, he’s a turnover machine if he doesn’t know what’s coming before the snap.
    Remember, the patriots didn’t just beat this team, they came back from 24-0. That wouldn’t happen to any of the other 3 teams still playing.

21. cjspiller12, LOL

wow

pwned while he was posting at recess

maybe later his hoem room teacher will work on addition

22. LOL!!! You all got me on that one………I really did mean 4-4 on the road. And azwildcats96 , I did try and get creative with the playoff win the Patriots won at home. That being said, should be a good game between Denver and the Patriots. Just glad Denver is at home.

23. 6ball says: Jan 13, 2014 10:27 AM

================================
    Vegas is just bringing in enough money on both teams to ensure that they don’t lose their shirts. The 6 points means they believe that the majority of those betting will go with Denver. The line will move if people go heavy one one team over the other. If the line drops, it means people are betting the Patriots, if it rises, people are betting the Broncos.

Vegas doesn’t pick winners, they collect bets.

24. realnflmaster says:

_________________________

Yes, the most scrutinized and watched team in the league with everyone looking for any tiny indication that the Pats were taping is somehow managing to do so anyway.

Right. Just keep crying, the bitter tears of Pats haters are just sweet nectar to Pats fans.

I know, its Bill using his patented Hoodie Of Invisibility(TM) to sneak into the opposing team’s locker room again.

Oh wait, maybe he’ll use the Belichick Mind Meld on a passing Bronco player when they’re on the way to the field.

Oh wait, maybe its xray lasers from the Patriots secret space station scanning the other team’s playbook.

Lol sometimes I crack myself up, I tell ya.

25. superslugg says: Jan 13, 2014 11:35 AM

———————————————–
    I do believe that was mostly due to the injury of the Broncos best cover corner, DRC, but go ahead and just watch the highlights on ESPN.

26. Oh, for heaven’s sake! I’m a Steelers fan, and the colossally ignorant things people post about “Spygate” annoy me almost as much as the colossally ignorant things people post about Pittsburgh and steroids. It would be nice if fundamental football knowledge were a prerequisite for posting on a football blog.

As for Brady’s comment, he’s positioning the team as scrappy underdog–a role they play well. I think it could go either way. But you’d have to be a fool to underestimate these guys after what they showed Saturday.

27. all4patriots says:Jan 13, 2014 11:39 AM

cjspiller12, LOL

wow

pwned while he was posting at recess

maybe later his hoem room teacher will work on addition
    ________________________________
    And maybe she will work on your spelling.

28. The betting line is crazy, take NE & the points all day. This game is a pick em. Its only Monday but I’m leaning Pats to win the game based on coaching (the Hoodie) and how clutch Brady generally is in these spots. Thinking Peytons gonna have a lot more time for those awful pizza commercials after this Sunday.

29. cjspiller12 apparently considers @ Miami a home game for the Pats. Considering the fan breakdown you usually see in south Florida, I’d have to agree with him on this one.

30. thewiz37 says:Jan 13, 2014 12:28 PM

______________________________
    Good one, I actually agree with you!!!

31. As a Broncos fan-are you crazy?? Everyone is going to pick the Pats. They all expect Manning to choke. Well he didn’t yesterday! Manning was on fire and our receivers had major, inexcusable issues with not being able to catch a ball. Defense too! There were at least 3 opportunities for a pick, none of them happened. I of course am picking my team, but majority of the people will expect we can’t do it. BRONCOS FOR LIFE!

32. I find it almost laughable that Brady would create a false narrative that the Pats are a bunch of scrappy underdogs whom nobody gave much of a chance of winning all year.

That may have been true earlier in the year, but given the growing amount of positive national coverage the Pats have received over the past 6 weeks (and all of it deserved, don’t get me wrong) I don’t think that’s the case any longer.

But since Michael Jordon used to have to invent people making personal slights against him in order to motivate himself, Brady has every right to use whatever he needs to motivate himself and his teammates. Whatever he’s doing seems to be working so I can’t argue with the guy’s success, that’s for sure.

33. Pats fan in Denver here –

Really, no one expects the Pats to win. No one. I have not talked to one Broncos fan who thinks their team won’t win. The sports media as usual, is all about Peyton and elevating him. He is the Barack Obama of sports, after all. All the pundits (- Skip Bayless) will pick the Broncos, Vegas is picking the Broncos and even in NE, most have felt the this season has been smoke and mirrors and there is no way to beat the Broncos and all of Peyton’s offensive weapons. (Yes Chuck, we are very appreciative of what we have). To have this skeleton crew of a Patriots team moving this far, simply amazing.

Keys to victory: Peyton has a killer deep ball and I think with his spectacular advantage in his receiving corps he will simply take advantage of physical match-up advantages in this game. The best Belichick scheme only lasts about half a game against Peyton. The weather does not look like it will be an issue.

If the Pats can score first and simply do whatever they can to not fall behind, then they can ground and pound and throw in some timely play action passing to keep with Denver. This game plan is NOT changing because the Patriots do not have the personnel to allow a spread offense or anything that involves a focus on the passing game.

28-24 Denver. Peyton makes some huge 3rd down conversions that win the game. Book it.

If the Patriots win, it will be the best AFC CG win they will ever have had.

34. Objectively, the broncos has the edge and should win. They are the more complete team. Like brady said , they have their backs against the wall even now. Who do they have left as receivers? There is no continuity. It’s always next man up. Brady has to be in sync with his receivers but they are always revolving. It’s frustrating when he can’t trust those receivers. Edelman is the only one left from the previous group and even he has to learn to play welkers big role. The pats have to reinvent themselves quickly because their backs are against the wall. If the pats wins the sb, belichick should have his own mt. Rushmore. What this beat up team has done is incredible. As for the oddsmakers, I hope they lost a lot of their own money by continually betting against these underdogs. There’s still a lot of fight in these bloodied dogs. Don’t count them out.

35. Tom is trying to manufacture emotion. That’s actually worse than false bravado. Tom got his first playoff loss handed to him in Denver and I think that’s in his head.