Dolphins add Brian Xanders to G.M. search list

Brian Xanders AP

The Dolphins continue to add candidates to their deliberate search for a General Manager, and have found a guy who has held the job before.

According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, former Broncos G.M. Brian Xanders will meet with the Dolphins about their vacancy.

Xanders worked for the Lions as a senior personnel director, after he was fired by the Broncos in 2012. He was the odd man out when John Elway took over as El Jefe there, and the parting was portrayed as mutual.

Xanders also worked for the Falcons for 14 years prior to joining the Broncos.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Dolphins add Brian Xanders to G.M. search list”
  1. chc4 says: Jan 14, 2014 9:45 AM

Mutual parting? Yeah right, I’m sure this guy really didn’t want to be the GM Denver anymore. Taking that step down in Detroit was all part of his master plan.

2. dtownsportslions says: Jan 14, 2014 9:46 AM

Can the Lions catch a break? Ever?

3. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 14, 2014 9:52 AM

I’m all for it if it frees up the front-office in Detroit. I know nothing about what he did here, but from what I can’t see that I wish we could see about our team I may not know that he did a bad job, but I also for sure know he didn’t do a great job. If he knows how to scout and pick players, well then he sucks at convincing everybody else.

The Lions need to get some really smart people that know how to scout and find value players and logical fits for the team that will contribute to us actually making the playoffs AND winning the Super Bowl. Gosh we are far away. What has Brian Xanders done to help this team? I see evidence of NOTHING!

4. dcredz says: Jan 14, 2014 9:58 AM

Xanders has been a great hire by the Lions, leading to possibly the best draft in Mayhew’s tenure (meaning… the best Lions draft in several decades). I hope he doesn’t leave, but I wish him the best.

I would love for him to stick around for 2-3 more years and continue helping stack the team with underutilized talent and crushed dreams.

5. lks311 says: Jan 14, 2014 10:14 AM

chc4 says:
    Jan 14, 2014 9:45 AM
    ______
    First, it wasn’t a “mutual parting”, he was fired. Second, the Detroit job was a complete season later. He was unemployed. That’s what you do when you’re unemployed. You go find a new job. I think, all considered, he did just fine.

6. awdlmd says: Jan 14, 2014 10:24 AM

The Broncos traded up to draft Tim Tebow in the first round on his watch. How is he still in the league?

7. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 14, 2014 10:41 AM

Looks like Matt Millen, but with prettier fingers.

8. thedoubleentandres says: Jan 14, 2014 11:08 AM

judging by his picture I wouldnt trust him with a pair of scissors

9. omarsmeets says: Jan 14, 2014 11:49 AM

So much for your strategy expertise. Last time I looked the X factor was instrumental in the 2013 draft which brought the following to the Lions – Ziggy Ansah, Darius Slay, Larry Warford, Devin Taylor, Sam Martin, Theo Riddick along with undrafted rookies Joseph Fauria and LaAdrian Waddle. Not bad for for an individual who you dismissed as someone who did nothing.

10. kane337 says: Jan 14, 2014 12:53 PM

Is that Joaquin Phoenix?

11. turfrage says: Jan 14, 2014 1:18 PM

Great hire! Who better than guy who taught Elway how to do his job- then got let go for teaching him too well. Would be loss for Lions.

12. danmarinos1stlovechild says: Jan 14, 2014 3:51 PM

This Xander guy looks just like an idiot uncle I have. I don’t want this guy to be the GM of the dolphins! Give me Farmer, Gamble, or Vital!!!

13. laxcoach37 says: Jan 14, 2014 6:12 PM

As a Dolphins Fan, I prefer Farmer, but he would be fine. He has a very long history in Scouting and Player Development. We could do a lot worse. The Dolphins are already better off by ridding themselves of J. Ireland, so any choice is a plus. I am more concerned about the OC position and hoping McAdoo snubbed others Teams waiting for his upcoming Interview. He knows the TE Spread that the Packers run and that Miami “tried” to emulate.