Mike Zimmer has another second interview, Vikings today

Mike+Zimmer+Indianapolis+Colts+v+Cincinnati+qX8nqSdNxItl Getty Images

If the Vikings hire someone else today, Mike Zimmer might never go on a second interview again.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Bengals defensive coordinator is in Minnesota for a second interview for the Vikings head coaching job.

Zimmer also had a second interview with the Titans yesterday morning, before they hired Ken Whisenhunt later in the day.

The Vikings have proceeded deliberately, and may still want to talk to Seahawks assistants again before they make a call.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Mike Zimmer has another second interview, Vikings today”
  1. conormacleod says: Jan 14, 2014 8:54 AM

Still several good coaches available. I like them being deliberate in this hire.

2. tvjules says: Jan 14, 2014 8:57 AM

Better than going to the Browns…

3. rutchaser says: Jan 14, 2014 9:01 AM

For Zimmer, I hope he gets it.
    For us Bengal fans, he’s our only hope.

4. truepurple says: Jan 14, 2014 9:02 AM

Hurry up and hire this guy!

5. purplepillager says: Jan 14, 2014 9:03 AM

Zimmer isn’t leaving Winter Park without a contract.

6. bengalsucker says: Jan 14, 2014 9:03 AM

Good thing about the Vikings is that Zim will be able to pick his own QB in the draft. I was hoping Mike Brown would wise up, give Marvin the Dusty Baker treatment this year and hire Zim. Too bad MB is too cheap to pay two HC at the same time. Cincy is about to lose the best thing that has happened to us in a loooooooong time.

7. atkinsandgreenreignsupreme says: Jan 14, 2014 9:06 AM

Zim, Tell the Vikes FO that you plan to keep Musgrave and that should set the fan base on fire causing you to return to Cincy…. Hue is going to help you make the defense even better with the run game.. If the Bengals dont make the playoffs in 14′ then Marv and Dalton go and you go to HC and Hue stays as OC….Give us 1 more year! If not you deserve it…..I cant hate…

8. ibottpsgoldpants says: Jan 14, 2014 9:09 AM

Good! The Bengals already lost one great defensive coordinator with aspirations of being a head coach (Lebeau), let’s hope Zimmer stays where he belongs and is well compensated for being a great defensive mind in a city that love him!

Go Bengals!!

9. vikesfan320 says: Jan 14, 2014 9:21 AM

I don’t want either Seattle coordinator. Hard to know how good Dan Quinn is when he took over a defense that was already great and in place from Gus Bradley. Darrell Bevell – no thanks, already road that ride with him as offensive coordinator under Chilly. He was as much to blame for the failure to develop Tarvaris Jackson (not that he could be developed) as Chilly, and the Vikings offense was awful under him with anyone not named Brett Favre at QB. Not to mention Seattle’s offense is – in my opinion – fairly overrated. If people didn’t love Russell Wilson so much they would realize how pedestrian he’s been for a lot of the season – throwing for under 150 in 4 of his team’s games.

Just hire Mike Zimmer already… Before he gets away.

10. kirkules202 says: Jan 14, 2014 9:31 AM

DO NOT HIRE ZIMMER!! If you do Vikings you will send me (being a Bengals fan) in a DEEP DEEP depression.. That being said Zim deserves this job I don’t know what he is doing wrong in the interview but this man will put any Defense in the top 10 within 2 years. Going against Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford 6 games of the season. Zimmer is the guy for the job..

11. waldoampere says: Jan 14, 2014 9:34 AM

Hard to believe that this guy’s never been a HC. With his defensive skills and his discipline he actually sounds like the guy the Lions need.

12. jm91rs says: Jan 14, 2014 9:34 AM

ibottpsgoldpants says: Jan 14, 2014 9:09 AM

_____________________________

Did you forget that Lebeau became the Bengals head coach? So they didn’t exactly lose him to head coaching aspirations. They lost him because he was a TERRIBLE head coach (12-33). He wasn’t even that good of a Defensive Coordinator for the Bengals (he was fired from that job in 1991, and after getting the job back in 1997 his defenses never got better than 25th best in the league). He became good after heading back to Pittsburgh. Zimmer is a totally different situation.

13. dtownsportslions says: Jan 14, 2014 9:52 AM

As a Lions fan, I don’t like this if MN makes this hire.

14. purplecrowe says: Jan 14, 2014 9:55 AM

I wasn’t too excited about this hire, not knowing too much about Zimmer, except that he’s got a very good defense in Cincy. Nice to read that Bengals fans speak so highly of him, the more I hear about this guy, the more he impresses. That being said, it doesn’t really matter who they hire. Unless they get a legit QB, the search will begin again in roughly 3 1/2 years…for a GM and coach…

15. norseyapper says: Jan 14, 2014 9:56 AM

The Vikings had better sign him by noon because if he leaves without a contract the best option available will not be coming back for a third conversation.
    Get it done!

16. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 14, 2014 9:57 AM

I think he’s doing just fine as a DC, and I don’t see the advantage of making him the HC when every team should want to have a great DC as well as at least one if not 2 great offensive minds. Why can’t he just be the DC in another city? We have seen him on Hard Knocks and he is a hard working passionate guy, but he’s also colorful and unorthodox. I would be impressed if he is able to secure a HC job, I don’t see it happening though.

17. bengalsucker says: Jan 14, 2014 10:19 AM

Even though he’s a great DC, he deserves a shot at HC. If he doesn’t do well, he goes back to DC. But he deserves the shot.

18. purpleguy says: Jan 14, 2014 10:35 AM

Many Viking fans are either on the fence or ambivalent with Zimmer given his age and the lack of prior HC experience, but the comments of Bengals fans and the respect they have for the guy, is changing our minds. Sheesh, the Bengals losing both coordinators would suck.

19. thepftpoetlivesinhismomsbasement says: Jan 14, 2014 10:42 AM

thestrategyexpert says:
    Jan 14, 2014 9:57 AM

_________________________________

Seriously?? He’s probably one of the top 3 of the 6 to 10 main candidates out there right now. My guess is he doesn’t get out of MN if the Vikes like him. I think they’d rather wait to interview the Seattle coordinators (I said Bevell was the guy since day 1), but I think they may like what they see in Zimmer. If they let him go…they may wish they hadn’t.

I echo what purplecrowe said…until that QB situation is hammered out…and it’s far from being so…this is all still fluff…and the window of Adrian Peterson being a dominant threat is closing by the week.

20. ttommytom says: Jan 14, 2014 11:22 AM

I think AP should be enjoyed for what he is: Awesome (regardless of championships).

Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin (to name a few) never won the SB but man oh man was is great to watch them play.

Ever watch zone blocking when the ‘one cut’ back takes that cut and is gone (Terrell Davis)? That was Sayers but better than anyone ever for that one cut and gone.

PS

Zimmer SHOULD be the choice. The owner is a Giants organization fanboy and Zimmer is the closest thing to Coughlin but in a nicer version.

21. FlashPatterson says: Jan 14, 2014 11:23 AM

PULL THE TRIGGER! The Vikes already had Bevell, remember? He was awful. just look at the reactions from Bengals fans, he’s the guy.

22. bassplucker says: Jan 14, 2014 11:25 AM

The Vikings biggest needs above all else are: 1) to solve their QB issues for the next 6-8 years; 2) get the most out of whatever quality years Adrian Peterson has left, and 3) develop the heck out of Cordarelle Patterson and Kyle Rudolph who both have superstar potential. None of those things say “defensive minded HC” to me.

That being said, as a Bears fan, Zimmer is about the last guy I would want to see leading a division rival. He has definitely paid his dues and I think he’s gonna do great wherever he lands.

23. dukeofpbs says: Jan 14, 2014 11:42 AM

As a Bengals fan, yes we are at risk of losing our second coordinator with Gruden already being gone to the Redskins – but I think I speak for most (if not a good number of fans) when I say that Gruden will not be missed in Cincy.

Zimmer, on the other hand, will be missed sorely if he goes anywhere. I hope he does not.

24. dkphilly1122 says: Jan 14, 2014 12:02 PM

Just hire Zimmer already……..they need to go back to a defensive power house like they usually are. If they get a QB, there offense could be explosive with Peterson, Patterson, Rudolph and Jennings as weapons…… Hire Zimmer than find the right QB who can run the team for years to come, even after AP is gone……a passing QB, not named Manziel.

25. whatjusthapped says: Jan 14, 2014 12:25 PM

Did ever dawn on the Viking fans that the reason Zimmer was successful in Cincy is that they had decent players on their roster.

I don’t care how good of a coach he really is, give him Chris Cook, Sanford, Rhodes and whoever replaces the soon to be departed, Jared Allen and let see how he does.

The late great Vince Lombardi used to say, ” You can’t make chicken salad out of Chicken $hit”

An apt description of the current Viking roster.

26. quake2k7 says: Jan 14, 2014 12:39 PM

Zimmer is the only reason I watch the Bengals. I felt all season long that regardless of how crappy the Offense played or how crappy the offensive play calling was, we could rely on our defense to keep us in the game. I will always be a Bengals fan and I hope Zimmer doesn’t leave but if he does then the Minnesota Vikings fan base will be expanding. Go Zim! Go Vikings!

27. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 14, 2014 1:02 PM

Why can’t the Vikings ever win a legitimate World Championship?

28. 6kingswest says: Jan 14, 2014 3:09 PM

Just saw an interview of this guy…just prior to the 2013 season. I’m SOLD, SIGN HIM NOW!

29. minnesnowda says: Jan 14, 2014 5:42 PM

Come on over Z

30. hardkor07mn says: Jan 14, 2014 9:00 PM

I would like to see this guy get the job. Vikes need a tough no BS kind of coach. Lets hire him and get moving towards the future. He can’t be any worse than Frazier. Great guy, horrible coach.

31. minnesnowda says: Jan 14, 2014 11:34 PM

@Whatjusthappd

In addition to Rhodes and Cook (who make a giant corner duo in the NFC North) Harrison Smith, Chad Greenway, Sharif Floyd, Brian Robison, Everson Griffen and potentially Allen and The Big Ticket Kevin Williams returning (Williams less likely) in addition to any free agents and young talented LBs recently drafted, Zimmer has a really good core of talent to build around with this years draft and could easily produce a top tier defense, even while facing some of the highest power offenses, multiple times a year in the North.

32. pappavike says: Jan 15, 2014 4:56 AM

With Zimms as the head man, It will be interesting to see who he gets to be his Oc, Or Dc for that matter. Unless he has a friendship with Musgrave, I can’t see him retaining Musgrave!! What would you think of Brett Farve as Qb coach cuz we are drafting a Qb in this years draft!! It may not be in the first round! Which is alright by me! most of your franchise Qb’s are picked in the later rounds look at where the top Qb’s got taken!!!