William Clay Ford: Jim Caldwell fit “specific plan and profile”

866b89f0fa41ff8b52e1f392f612ad4d AP

The Lions settled on their new head coach on Tuesday, hiring Jim Caldwell to take over the job that opened when Jim Schwartz was fired after the end of the regular season.

The team announced that they will formally introduce Caldwell at a 4 p.m. ET press conference on Wednesday and team owner William Clay Ford released a statement about the hiring on Tuesday afternoon.

“On behalf on my entire family, I want to express how thrilled we are with the appointment of Jim Caldwell as our new head coach,” Ford said. “We believe Jim is the right man to lead our team and deliver a championship to our fans. I also want to commend [team president] Tom [Lewand] and [General Manager] Martin [Mayhew] on the thoroughness of the coaching search. We had a very specific plan and profile for our next head coach, and I am convinced that we found that man in Jim Caldwell.”

That specific profile is outlined on the team’s website, which highlights Caldwell’s experience as a head coach with a background on the offensive side of the ball. There are also references to the ringing endorsement of Caldwell given by Tony Dungy, who called Caldwell a “great match” for a team talented enough to go to the Super Bowl.

Permalink 121 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
121 Responses to “William Clay Ford: Jim Caldwell fit “specific plan and profile””
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 14, 2014 4:33 PM

Yeah nice profile and resume he has, and astounding list of references. Can he win at football?

2. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 14, 2014 4:34 PM

Jim could succeed on a team with a lot of talent. That’s a ringing endorsement from Dungy.

3. madtownthrowdown says: Jan 14, 2014 4:36 PM

One word in the first sentence says it all. SETTLED

“The Lions settled on their new head coach on Tuesday”

Poor Lions fans.

4. All-American Voltron says: Jan 14, 2014 4:37 PM

That picture says it all about Caldwell. That look of bewilderment, confusion, a complete lack of confidence and conviction. Good OC, not a good head coach.

On behalf of the rest of the NFC North, thank you Lions for maintaining the low level of quality we’ve come to expect from you for decades!

5. tvjules says: Jan 14, 2014 4:38 PM

If your goal is to continue losing, then yes, Caldwell fits the plan and profile.

6. paulz624 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:39 PM

What was Dungy suppose to say, don’t hire him, you seen how horrible he was as OC for the Ravens.

7. valhallarising says: Jan 14, 2014 4:40 PM

Yawn. I know I’m not the only one bored by this hire. Sorry Lions fans. The Vikings haven’t even decided who they are going to hire yet but I already like their choice more than Caldwell. Although only time will tell…

8. bobbyhoying says: Jan 14, 2014 4:40 PM

Nobody else wanted to move to Detroit. That made him the number one candidate.

9. flaccodelic says: Jan 14, 2014 4:41 PM

Another tragic case of profiling.

10. shackdelrio says: Jan 14, 2014 4:41 PM

Lion fan. Get used to that clueless look on Caldwell’s face. You’ll see alot of it.

11. donny1rodriguez says: Jan 14, 2014 4:41 PM

can the know-it-all PFT commenters shut up about the Rooney Rule now

12. skins716 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:41 PM

beware of the Caldwell stare!

13. blowpackblow says: Jan 14, 2014 4:42 PM

Below average?

14. fat4jc says: Jan 14, 2014 4:42 PM

profiling is wrong.

15. lionsfan2014 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:42 PM

No offense, but when will this guy die. I am really anticipating a Dollar-Bill Wurtz situation (re Chicago Blackhawks) when he does.

16. Paul M. says: Jan 14, 2014 4:43 PM

The guy’s a winner, he won the “Suck for Luck” contest.

17. chargrz says: Jan 14, 2014 4:43 PM

Good Luck with that hire Lions fans. Ha Ha Ha

18. isphet71 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:43 PM

I haven’t been a big fan of WCF’s “Specific plan and profile” for the last 5 decades, so this statement scares me.

I’ll still cheer for the Lions on Sunday, but I am underwhelmed at this moment.

19. flash1283 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:43 PM

So you have a “plan” to suck?

20. arwiv says: Jan 14, 2014 4:43 PM

The more I read about these teams who are basically hiring new coaches every 2-3 years, the more I appreciate my guy Coughlin. Also, the more thankful I am that I root for a team that knows the importance of stability.

I wish Caldwell the best but seriously, does anybody view this guy as a “championship” caliber head coach? I know the Lions are out of control and needed a level head, but they probably would have been better off with a guy like Rob Ryan.

21. sf69ers says: Jan 14, 2014 4:44 PM

Sorry Lions fans. Maybe Ray Horton will become your defensive coordinator, and head coach by mid-season.

22. kterminator says: Jan 14, 2014 4:45 PM

The old man soiled his Depends with yet another stellar coaching hire.

23. cajunaise says: Jan 14, 2014 4:46 PM

The day man walked on the moon for the first time, Jim Caldwell said, “That’s interesting”.

24. hyzers says: Jan 14, 2014 4:48 PM

You left out the part where Tennessee offered Whisenhunt a lot more money than the Fords did.

25. jay0134 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:48 PM

Isn’t this the same head coach who prevented the Colts from possibly going 16-0, and possibly 19-0 by pulling Manning in the Jets game?

The same guy who thought Curtis Painter was a suitable back up for the season Manning was hurt, and stuck with Painter for 13 straight losses before starting Orlovsky?

The same guy who took a SB offense from two years ago and turned them into the 29th ranked offense in the NFL?

The Lions actually did the Ravens a favor by taking this guy off there hands.

26. pbolyard says: Jan 14, 2014 4:50 PM

Lol. He’s just old and crazy

27. lionsplayoffs says: Jan 14, 2014 4:50 PM

Wow he really did say the words “Right man to lead our team and deliver a championship to our fans.” I was wondering whether he’d try to convince everyone that this was the coach they wanted all along.

If this is the best we can do, they should sell the team now.

28. turtlehut says: Jan 14, 2014 4:50 PM

The man had the guts to have his team tank the final games so he didn’t have the pressure of a perfect season, and then Peyton took the Colt’s to the super bowl where Sean Payton easily showed fandom the difference between a competent and incompetent coach.

29. bobbay007 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:50 PM

Why Rob Ryan didn’t get a shot is beyond me!!

30. moerawn says: Jan 14, 2014 4:51 PM

This guy is so bad I’m surprised Jerry Jones didn’t go after him.

31. realitypolice says: Jan 14, 2014 4:51 PM

I am at a loss. the man was 26-63 as a college head coach.

The man rode the momentum of Tongy Dungy and the play of Peyton Manning to a Super Bowl loss (where he was out coached so badly I felt bad for his family) his first year, then presided over a 4 game regression his second season and 7 game further regression in his 3rd year.

He rode a Cam Cameron built offense to a Super Bowl and a 16th overall ranking and then presided over an offense that plunged to 29th the following season.

I’m not saying he is doomed to fail, but how on earth is this the resume of someone who is an attractive hire?

32. imjinrat says: Jan 14, 2014 4:52 PM

Great Hire!!!
    signed
    Packer Fan

33. polamalurulz43 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:52 PM

Where is Art Shell when you need a good coordinator who is an average on his best day HC? I know that Caldwell is credited with taking the Ravens moribund offense to the Super Bowl, but since then, he made no adjustments to help the Ravens and both Rice and Pierce were almost as bad as their line… historically bad. That is not the kind of momentum one would think could propel a resume to the top of the heap. Then again, the real issue could well be that their former coach was an undisciplined tool that went Schwartz whenever he wanted to, which led his players to do the same, on and off the field. Perhaps this is more about tone and consistency than proven innovation.

34. grandpoopah says: Jan 14, 2014 4:52 PM

The “plan” is to be a perennial loser. The “profile” is cheap and available.

35. deljzc says: Jan 14, 2014 4:53 PM

Tony Dungy’s coaching tree is worse than Belichick’s it’s just his is more P.C.

36. metrocritical says: Jan 14, 2014 4:53 PM

This was the Lions’ chance to hit a home run, but, instead, hit an inning ending triple play pop up bunt to the catcher.

37. harrisonhits2 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:55 PM

Don’t see how he could be a whole lot worse than Schwartz.

That said he used the same offensive plan with the Ravens that he use with the Colts. Throw the long bomb and 2/3 of the time get a catch or PI, repeat over and over with occasional shorter throws and runs.

38. gb4mn0 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:56 PM

As long as the Lions embarrass the vikqueens twice a season is all that matters.

39. weepingjebus says: Jan 14, 2014 4:57 PM

Seems like a decent fellow. I predict 19-0.

40. 4allintensivepurposes says: Jan 14, 2014 4:57 PM

Same deer-in-the-headlights look as Reche.

41. shaggytoodle says: Jan 14, 2014 4:57 PM

Its always hard to guess what to feel when a team hires a coach.

I don’t recall GB being too excited when McCarthy got hired.

It takes time, and Caldwell also had one of the worst starting QBs in NFL history.

It can’t be worse than one more year of Schwartz I would imagine.

42. chinahand11 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:58 PM

I wish him luck but I wonder wth is going on in Detroit, they sure seem like they’re stuck in a “learn as we go along” time loop. This has been going on way too long.

43. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Jan 14, 2014 4:58 PM

Tomlin is better than your team’s head coach.

44. shaggytoodle says: Jan 14, 2014 4:58 PM

He was also cheaper than Whisenhunt.

45. therealgts says: Jan 14, 2014 4:59 PM

I love all these straight idiots on every single topic related to this who say “no coach wants to live in Detroit”. Dumbest thing I have ever heard. I don’t care what city it is there are ritzy gated communities. These guys aren’t living in the projects. Plus, these dudes live at their practice facilities. Get a clue. Geography plays nothing into these decisions.

46. hjb99992013 says: Jan 14, 2014 4:59 PM

Rich Kotite also fits the plan and profile…unfortunately the Lions couldn’t convince him to sign

47. matt2calvin says: Jan 14, 2014 4:59 PM

Mr. Ford must have read all the negative post when this appointment was announced.

He is trying to head off the heavily negative reaction that is snowballing down hill with a full head of steam.

I give up. From now on, I’m a Packer fan.

I’ll have to find a new name on the GB site…

48. jiggy3198 says: Jan 14, 2014 5:00 PM

This was by far the greatest coach signing in the history of the NFL.

Signed all ravens fans

49. mediasloppy says: Jan 14, 2014 5:00 PM

I contend any coach picked now or yet to be named teams have way more negative comments. It’s just how this place works.

50. tjacks7 says: Jan 14, 2014 5:00 PM

I wonder if he’ll use his offensive prowess to completely take Calvin Johnson out of the game like he did Ray Rice? Literally, the worst hire I’ve ever seen. I was actually surprised he even got a chance to be an OC again.

51. honolulublue says: Jan 14, 2014 5:01 PM

I have some pull with the media, so look in the future for a march for new ownership. Ford needs to sell the team and us fans are fed up.

52. mediasloppy says: Jan 14, 2014 5:04 PM

The Lions need a players coach. He might fit the bill.

53. firehawk734 says: Jan 14, 2014 5:05 PM

Mr. Ford says what every manager of a bureaucracy says. It’s a written, expected response. What’s he gonna say? Well, we wanted Wiz, but we missed out, so we’re content to have Caldwell? Can’t say that.

But this team is an embarrassment. I don’t trust a thing they do, and unfortunately it’ll be another season of expecting a loss every week, even with a 2 score lead with less than 5 minutes remaining in the game. Until the buzzer goes off and the lions are somehow ahead of the other team, I will assume they will collapse. It’s just what they do. They make every wrong decision possible.

54. emmonsh says: Jan 14, 2014 5:05 PM

he has a better record as a hc than whiz. 2 sb rings as a oc and 1 appearance[lost] as a coach. better than whiz in every way. baltmore did nothing their sb year till he was oc. than they cut all offence to pay for the hack qb, don’t blame the oc. bettr than minn will do and much better than chic,

55. duffelbagsports says: Jan 14, 2014 5:05 PM

Don’t judge his football skills by his demeanor. You’re not in the meetings and game planning sessions. How did that fiery personality of Rex Ryan work out for you?

56. emmonsh says: Jan 14, 2014 5:07 PM

and by the way tomlon sucks. has to trip players to win. lol what a loser oh wait he doesn’t win

57. possumsauce says: Jan 14, 2014 5:08 PM

I’ve got to hand it to Caldwell, his record at Wake Forest makes Schiano’s at Rutgers look like the Second Coming of Bear Bryant. Football is rapidly perfecting the art of failing upward.

58. somatg3 says: Jan 14, 2014 5:08 PM

phew- I’m a Vikes fan, I was afraid the Lions were going to get a good coach! Glad Wisenhunt didn’t end up in Detroit! Way to be cheap Lions!

59. flavordave says: Jan 14, 2014 5:08 PM

When keepin it real with the Rooney rule goes wrong…..

60. joeylongarm says: Jan 14, 2014 5:09 PM

Absolute amateurs

61. tremoluxman says: Jan 14, 2014 5:09 PM

I’m busy wiping off the coffee I spewed all over my wide-screen monitor after reading Ford’s announcement. And I’m a Vikings fan.

62. purpleguy says: Jan 14, 2014 5:10 PM

One way to test the quality of the hire is to gauge the sorrow expressed by the fans and players from which the new coach departed — and I hear either crickets or shouts of joy from the fans of this guy’s old team. Conversely, there’s a bunch of sorrow expressed over Wisenhunt, Gruden and even Zimmer.

63. commonsensedude says: Jan 14, 2014 5:11 PM

Jim Caldwell was within 30 seconds of being a Super Bowl winning Head Coach. He made the postseason during two of his three seasons. Then, after he got fired, he went to Baltimore and eventually became a Super Bowl winning Offensive Coordinator. Not sure exactly where all the scorn is coming from but most teams in the league could do far worse.

Help me understand how people can be excited about Ken Whisenhunt – who has a worse win/loss record than Caldwell – gets hired but be critical of this. Whisenhunt, like Caldwell, almost won a Super Bowl with a HOF quarterback but then got fired after taking after the QB left the team. Why is Whisenhunt’s hiring a great move while Caldwell’s is considered a subpar hire. Why??

64. djlexluger says: Jan 14, 2014 5:12 PM

How about letting the guy coach a game before dissing this hire. I’m glad to see him gone as OC, but he coached a team to the Super Bowl it takes more than just talent on a team to do that in the NFL.

65. fanofevilempire says: Jan 14, 2014 5:13 PM

Lions should be happy any coach wants this job.

66. fanofevilempire says: Jan 14, 2014 5:14 PM

the picture looks like he regrets taking the job already, not a good look.

67. akboot says: Jan 14, 2014 5:16 PM

Wait a minute. Something is wrong here. I didn’t see one worthless packer “trying” to slam the vikes for once. You all taking your naps or what. You let this story go, how come? You’re on every other non vikes story. Guess I’d better go trough these posts again, had to have missed it.

68. eastwoodchair says: Jan 14, 2014 5:24 PM

The profile & plan: 5 – 11. That’ll keep us getting decent draft picks !

69. eastwoodchair says: Jan 14, 2014 5:25 PM

The profile & plan: 4 -12. That’ll keep us getting decent draft picks !

70. mogogo1 says: Jan 14, 2014 5:28 PM

Even if you think he deserved another shot at being a head coach, the Lions are a horrible spot for him. They have zero discipline and he’s not going to get in anybody’s face to get them in line. They’ve got talent right now but their window is going to be closed by the time Caldwell’s tenure is done.

71. dalcow4 says: Jan 14, 2014 5:31 PM

Relax, Lions fans. Caldwell will win more games than Whisenhunt over the next four years.

The Lions will make the playoffs this year and all the handwringing will go away.

72. jvw1982 says: Jan 14, 2014 5:32 PM

Let’s see, in the last 5yrs he won a super bowl as OC in Indy, went to the SB and lost as a HC, and won another SB as OC in Baltimore, name another coach with that type of resume…..good hire, probably the best coaching hire this yr……

73. eastwoodchair says: Jan 14, 2014 5:33 PM

They hired the Eagles QB coach as OC, doubt that was Caldwell’s idea.

74. ErikW65 says: Jan 14, 2014 5:34 PM

In other profiling news, the NFL will not allow Rob Ryan to be a Head Coach until he cuts his hair. That is wrong- let him be himself.

75. lionsfandontellne1 says: Jan 14, 2014 5:35 PM

The profile & plan: 1-15. That’ll keep us getting decent draft picks !

76. duffelbagsports says: Jan 14, 2014 5:36 PM

How many retread coaches with losing track records get jobs. A qualified candidate gets one and we pull out the Rooney Rule crap. This is not an affirmative action hire. And he has class.

77. ilovefoolsball says: Jan 14, 2014 5:38 PM

Ford went on to say “We needed someone who can keep things quiet, real quiet. We wanted to hire a mannequin but we didn’t think the players could rally around that. In the end, we got the man we wanted.”

78. duffelbagsports says: Jan 14, 2014 5:41 PM

And Rooney rule coaches have won 2 of the last 6 Super bowls

79. rhopperstad says: Jan 14, 2014 5:55 PM

Yes dungy – you, Caldwell, & Leslie Frazier can all hold hands and sing kumbaya together and watch paint dry for excitement

80. 1phd says: Jan 14, 2014 5:58 PM

Stick to cars Mr Ford. You and your family have proven to be clueless when it comes to professional football.

81. mrbigass says: Jan 14, 2014 6:05 PM

Yes, his blank stare was better than any other coach we interviewed……

82. tbperk says: Jan 14, 2014 6:18 PM

Wasn’t Jim Caldwell, Tony Dungy’s Barry Switzer?

83. hermanthunderfootweaver says: Jan 14, 2014 6:38 PM

WCF is a FOOL!!! Just admit that you are a loser and that you have no clue what you are doing! 50+ years of losing…Really???

84. coloneldukelacross says: Jan 14, 2014 6:41 PM

While I agree with this as a quality hire, I just don’t believe in profiling.

85. pongonfl says: Jan 14, 2014 6:46 PM

If they think that coaching matters so little that this guy can be your head coach, why get rid of the old guy?

86. thefiesty1 says: Jan 14, 2014 6:51 PM

Is there another Manning available to RUN his offense. Not in Detroit, I didn’t think so. 4-5 wins is pretty routine in Detroit.

87. restorativejusticeprogram says: Jan 14, 2014 6:55 PM

Choosing someone primarily because of their race is always wrong. This decision will prove to be a tremendous failure.

88. robgilman says: Jan 14, 2014 7:01 PM

The more I think about this, the more it makes sense. I think Caldwell will have this team in the playoffs next season, and seriously contending for a ring the season after that.

Mayhew and the team president better do their jobs in the offseason to make sure Caldwell has the resources at his disposle. As long as he has a strong roster, Caldwell can create a winner.

89. usa98j30t4 says: Jan 14, 2014 7:01 PM

His job will be to tank it as well as he did in Indy. Way to go Detroit.

90. aldante66 says: Jan 14, 2014 7:03 PM

So they low balled Whisenhunt huh. and then come out and say Caldwell was there guy. Ya right. They panicked today and said lets get someone dammit.
    Could have waited and gotten some very good talent, coaches actually still coaching right now on teams that are winners.
    The curse is still on. It has to be the curse. Anyone who works in Lions management loses there ability to rationalize. Fontes? Morningwag? Schwart? Joe Scmidt? McMillan?
    QB’s so pathetic no one can remember their names.

91. whatjusthapped says: Jan 14, 2014 7:18 PM

For as bad of a hire that Matt Millen was at GM, this guy might be worse as a head coach.

Thank God it’s the Lions. Its almost like you can depend on them to screw up. Sort of like the Vikings in a playoff game.

92. johnlink00 says: Jan 14, 2014 7:27 PM

This is the ultimate case of the lamb leading the Lions.

93. canadianvikingfaniii says: Jan 14, 2014 7:33 PM

Honestly, I hope this guy works out for the Lions, division rivals or not. I’ve been to Detroit numerous times, I know people from Detroit, I live across the river. The people there need something good to hold onto. They’ve lost enough, I’d like them to have something nice for once.

Win a Super Bowl soon and bring some joy back to that city, it’d be good for these two auto cities.

94. pftaddict says: Jan 14, 2014 7:52 PM

Of course Caldwell fit a specific plan. He fit the we aren’t going to pay $1 million more dollars per year to Wisenhunt plan.

95. mattjay0101 says: Jan 14, 2014 8:36 PM

Well, that sucks.

96. bipper52 says: Jan 14, 2014 8:39 PM

William Clay Ford was convinced Matt Millen was the right guy for the job, too.

97. kolva2013 says: Jan 14, 2014 8:41 PM

lowly Michigan just can’t get it right!!!

98. realskipbayless says: Jan 14, 2014 9:11 PM

If you’re plan and profile is producing a mediocre product then he’s your guy. If he didn’t luck out and have Peyton manning on his team he would probably be a towel man or out of the league

99. redwings248 says: Jan 14, 2014 9:14 PM

I have been watching the lions for over 40 years, which is older the almost all of the posters here . As I’m not crazy about the pick, it is the best coach and players the lions have had since I can remember. And over the last 5 years they have gone in the right direction getting rid of players that come here to retire or want to play half ass. So I guess just have to wait and see. It really can’t get any worse!

100. seals1 says: Jan 14, 2014 9:41 PM

Thanks Again Dungy for backing a cardboard cut out of a coach. Dungy also backed Frazier.

As a man Frazier seems like a great person and maybe Caldwell is also but,,,,,,,,,,,

1. When your team is stooling all over the field you want your coach to have more input than nothing during the game and after the game it’s,,,,,,,,,,,,,let’s look at the tape and see what we can improve.

The Jedi Mind Trick Coaching method only works when you have Peyton Manning or equal QB running the team.

101. seals1 says: Jan 14, 2014 9:47 PM

At the end of the day who wants to move to Detroit. I’d rather live in Des Moines.

Maybe Obama can bail out the lions.

102. JSpicoli says: Jan 14, 2014 9:50 PM

The Fords are so consistently bad at their ownership decisions it’s amazing

103. maraneso says: Jan 14, 2014 9:54 PM

After four years of the fiery Schwartz, Caldwell will bring a calm, stoic approach to losing.

104. thetruthcampaign says: Jan 14, 2014 9:59 PM

Schwartz didn’t have a “clueless look” on his face, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t clueless. Other coaches don’t have expression on their faces either, but win.

105. spcoltrane says: Jan 14, 2014 10:10 PM

I can’t understand how so many posters are dissing Caldwell because of his facial expression. When Schwartz showed animation (ala Jim Harbaugh), he was slammed for being “too emotional.” When he didn’t show expression, he was too intellectual. I don’t care if Caldwell never cracks a grin or scowls 24/7, so long as he reigns in the undisciplined bunch of players in Detroit. It was the players’ ineptitude during 7 of the last 8 games and Schwartz’s inability or unwillingness to discipline his players that cost the Lions the NFC North and Schwartz his job.

Don’t forget, the Lions also fired Scott Lenahan (sp?) the OC as well as the QB coach. I don’t know if Peyton Manning’s OC from the Colts (Tom Moore?) is still around. Let’s see who Caldwell picks for those roles, and what he does with Gunny as DC and what the Lions do with the draft in May.

Given the talent on the roster, I don’t expect the Fords will give Caldwell a long time to get to the “promised land”. If they have another losing season in ’14 with Stafford, Suh, Fairley, Ansah, Megatron, Reggie Bush, Joique Bell, etc., I expect Caldwell will join Chudzinski as a one year term coach.

I haven’t seen anything about the offers the Lions or the Titans made to either Wizz or to Caldwell, so the idea of the Fords getting cheap with their offers is unsubstantiated. WC Ford bought the Lions the day JFK was shot in Dallas, and he’ll be 89 in March. He wants a Superbowl ring more than anything, so I don’t expect he low-balled anyone.

Finally, who else is out there? The Lions couldn’t make an offer to Wizz until this week, and the Titans beat them to the punch. Lovie Smith signed with the Bucs. Neither Dungy, John Gruden, nor Bill Cowher are interested in leaving the broadcasting booth to coach again. Let the man coach a few games before you get out the pitchforks and torches.

106. easyeddie says: Jan 14, 2014 10:25 PM

All-American Voltron says:
    Jan 14, 2014 4:37 PM

——————-
    You know nothing about Caldwell, loser.

107. railcarcowboy says: Jan 14, 2014 10:27 PM

OMG!!! This was the best head coaching vacancy available!!!! And the worst head coaching hire. The window for a Super Bowl was WIDE open. It just slammed shut. Sorry Lions fans:( I feel for ya

108. djbumbaclot says: Jan 14, 2014 10:33 PM

I heard monte kiffin is being considered for defensive coordinator.

109. jmacphee9 says: Jan 14, 2014 10:34 PM

No he wasn’t responsible for that actually although I hate the hire as a lions fan. That would be chris polians fault.

110. weaselpuppy says: Jan 14, 2014 10:35 PM

WCFs actual reaction instead of the prepared statement?

“Ehhhhhxcelllent, Smithers….” (while wiggling interlocked fingers

111. larrydavidstern says: Jan 14, 2014 11:35 PM

I couldn’t believe when I heard that Jim Caldwell was even getting head coaching interviews, let alone him actually being hired! See you in 2016 Lions fans!

112. joecashflow says: Jan 14, 2014 11:39 PM

“Nice profile.” Like an Edsel?

Ok ok, I’m a Bears fan showng my age.

113. paulpurepoint says: Jan 15, 2014 12:07 AM

Run-and-Shoot! Should’ve hired Wayne Fontes!!!

114. phxrw1fan says: Jan 15, 2014 12:28 AM

Did anyone honestly believe for 1 second the Lions would get it right! Come on, this is what we get til the Fords go away

115. phxrw1fan says: Jan 15, 2014 12:33 AM

So what’s next on the Lions to do list: rehire Matt Millen or resign Charles Rogers

116. gerryf19 says: Jan 15, 2014 12:35 AM

If he was so great, why didn’t they hire him two weeks ago when they interviewed him?

117. staffordsyear says: Jan 15, 2014 1:23 AM

Give the man a chance, i hope he proves you all wrong.

118. arctantheta says: Jan 15, 2014 2:57 AM

if y’all think running a championship caliber football team is easy, try running one of the largest, oldest and most successful corporations in the world. just sayin… the ford’s aren’t idiots, just loyal to a fault. jeez, look at the pinto and edsel.

119. axespray says: Jan 15, 2014 4:50 AM

idk – I’m a little worried.

Our team has been living off of Stafford’s Romo Tricks.

If Caldwell can make Curtis Painter and Jumpball Joe look decent, then …blah.

120. beliefpatrol says: Jan 15, 2014 11:19 AM

that is the whole problem with this organization. they have a plan and stick to it no matter how lame the candidates that fir into that plan.

the organization should have realized that the specific plan sucked in relation to available coaches. they should change the plan and think outside the box.

terrible terrible hire and coach and the off-season is the worst i can remember. no hope for next year. poor calvin johnson :(

121. jordiway73 says: Jan 18, 2014 1:22 AM

They only thing he fit in that specific FORD plan was the fact he was 5 million cheaper than most other coaches.