John Elway: It was “studly” for Adam Gase to delay interviews

Adam Gase AP

It would have been easy, and natural, for Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase to have his head turned when teams called with chances to interview for head coaching jobs.

But he impressed his boss with his ability to say no.

“He’s done a tremendous job,” Broncos executive John Elway said, via Jeff Legwold of ESPN.com. “He’s had a great year and he’s just got such a great feel, and he’s a hard worker and he’s very bright. I hope he stays but — I thought it was, to me, I couldn’t think for him to be able to do what he did and to say ‘I want to keep my focus on the Denver Broncos and once our season is over I’ll interview.’

To me that was studly because it was to me, I like guys that are committed to what they’re doing, committed to the Denver Broncos. So I couldn’t be more proud of that decision. It tells you a lot about the guy.”

It also tells you he’s got a pretty good gig, and a chance to learn more about coaching with one of the best quarterbacks of all time in Peyton Manning. That’s a nice laboratory in which to experiment.

“I felt like I was all-in for what we were doing here,” Gase said.

Elway said Gase’s aggressiveness while calling plays was impressive, and had him thinking back to his playing days.

“I wish I could have played for him,” Elway said. “I think that he’s so bright and he’s working with Peyton and having been here with Josh [McDaniels] before that — who is a very bright, young offensive mind — he has just used all of that and learned from all that. With McCoy here, then Peyton here and now him on his own, he’s been able to put them all together and mold it as his personality and I think he’s done a tremendous job. That shows up in the numbers we’ve put up this year.”

In his first year calling plays, the Broncos set a single-season record with 606 points, and Manning set new records with 5,477 yards and 55 touchdowns.

That kind of performance emboldened the 35-year-old Gase to hang around, rather than take offered interviews with the Vikings or Browns (though the Browns still have a vacancy).

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “John Elway: It was “studly” for Adam Gase to delay interviews”
  1. unclebluck says: Jan 17, 2014 8:05 AM

He calls the play right up to when Peyton walks up to center and changes it…..

2. 4thqtrsaint says: Jan 17, 2014 8:19 AM

Yeah, let’s see if he can replicate that with Jacksonville’s offense.

3. reed20fence says: Jan 17, 2014 8:21 AM

Who is this guy? Everyone knows the real playcaller is Peyton Manning.

4. grogansheroes says: Jan 17, 2014 8:25 AM

The true greatness of Manning and Brady is how much money they make for everyone else that gets near them.

5. denbronx says: Jan 17, 2014 8:37 AM

You guys dont get it. McCoy was very conservative with the play calling but Gase has been extremely aggressive with it. THAT is what has helped push this offense into another level. Manning is no doubt the Sherrif but Gase has given him a bigger gun to sling with. I have no doubt he will make an excellent Head Coach one day.

6. oldcracker says: Jan 17, 2014 8:41 AM

I question how ready this guy is but, he’s definitely has too much class for the current Browns regime.

The 3 Stooges will drive this guy to drink, or cheating on any ticket rebates.

7. jnbnet says: Jan 17, 2014 8:42 AM

Did he actualy say “studly?”

8. haterade999 says: Jan 17, 2014 8:47 AM

John Elway loves hearing his own name.

9. riflemanlax says: Jan 17, 2014 8:48 AM

Sorry, but Peyton Manning is the OC for Denver.

10. jetsclaps says: Jan 17, 2014 8:52 AM

I agree with Elway. How could Peyton have survived without Adam… *checks for his last name* Gase?

11. bleedgreen says: Jan 17, 2014 8:57 AM

This guy calls in 4 or 5 different plays that Manning then chooses depending on the defensive packages on the field. Hell, I could do that. ‘You can run left, run right, run middle, throw a screen, throw middle, throw long.

12. duluthfan says: Jan 17, 2014 9:01 AM

Vikings Fan here, but I have a soft spot for the Droncos with family living in the Boulder area. I read this just because I think Gase is an interesting story.

Anyway, the reason I am commenting is because I was a little surprised at how poorly of a speaker John Elway is. Is it concusion related? He can hardly finish a complete thought.

Loved Elways when the Broncos beat the Packers in the SuperBowl many years ago.

Cheers!

13. duluthfan says: Jan 17, 2014 9:02 AM

…BTW, I’m really glad my Vikings got Mike Zimmer instead of Gase.

Cheers!

14. duluthfan says: Jan 17, 2014 9:05 AM

…and finally, good luck this weekend. I will be rooting for you to upend those damned Pats!

Cheers!

15. wishingtonredslur says: Jan 17, 2014 9:08 AM

Studly? Did he really say studly? Awesomesauce!)

16. johnster67 says: Jan 17, 2014 9:13 AM

Maybe Haslam has offered him a rebate if he doesn’t agree to another job till after the season.

17. infectorman says: Jan 17, 2014 9:21 AM

Studly? OK, that is just waaaayy too Bromancy.

What the heck is Elway smokin’ out there. Kind bud

18. ballboy48 says: Jan 17, 2014 9:35 AM

The Browns aren’t waiting to interview Gase, they’re waiting to interview Manning.

19. conormacleod says: Jan 17, 2014 9:40 AM

Those NFL teams that have hired a new head coach thank you for waiting to be interviewed. Nobody thinks Gase runs that offense. Nobody!

20. ampats says: Jan 17, 2014 10:19 AM

Adam Gase will be available on Monday to interview for the Browns job

21. JSpicoli says: Jan 17, 2014 10:22 AM

Studly was last busted out in 1983.

22. bert1913 says: Jan 17, 2014 10:24 AM

To all of you haters saying that manning runs that offense you are wrong. This is the genius of gase.
    he knows that manning will change the play every time, so he calls the wrong play on purpose know that manning will check to the second play that gase called, thus appeasing manning’s ego

23. ilovecostcobut says: Jan 17, 2014 10:38 AM

At least Kellen Winslow Jr doesn’t play for Denver.

24. gdeli says: Jan 17, 2014 10:44 AM

This is called respect for your employer. Do you hear that ken whisenhunt?

25. nfloracle says: Jan 17, 2014 11:18 AM

That was a nice shot by Elway at all the coaches who took interviews while their teams were still in the post-season. I didn’t think Elway could be that subtle, but then again I didn’t think John used the word “studly” in public, either.

26. johninthewest says: Jan 17, 2014 12:18 PM

As a Denver fan I cannot see Gase in a HC position. He’s still too young and inexperienced.

27. surfinbird1 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:14 PM

Better look for his replacement just in Gase.

28. Punk says: Jan 17, 2014 3:14 PM

To me, it’s just the way I see it but to me, he’s just a really. I mean, to me, well it’s just what I think

29. shadylamp says: Jan 17, 2014 7:03 PM

The Browns avenge “the drive” and “the fumble” by getting Gase as head coach and Peyton Manning as offensive coordinator to get his feet wet into coaching. The Browns then destroy the Broncos 55-0 in the AFC championship game to go to their first Superbowl.

30. lanman11 says: Jan 17, 2014 9:58 PM

So not everything McDaniel’s did in Denver was bad? You mean he made some good draft picks AND he hired some good coaches?

On a side note, I wonder who Tim Tebow wants to win this game?

31. mypercyhurts2 says: Jan 17, 2014 11:18 PM

Hmmm, head coach of the Vikings or OC for the Broncos? Comparing QBs prevented that interview.