Mike Zimmer “determined to bring a championship to Minnesota”

Mike+Zimmer+Indianapolis+Colts+v+Cincinnati+qX8nqSdNxItl Getty Images

New Vikings coach Mike Zimmer used the words “tough” and “physical” multiple times at his introductory press conference today, as new coaches invariably do. And he also made clear that he wants all the teams that have passed up on him as a head coach in the past to regret that decision.

“I’m determined to bring a championship to Minnesota,” Zimmer said. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder. I want to make sure that 31 other teams know that I’m here and I’m ready to coach this football team.”

Zimmer didn’t go into specifics about his thoughts on the personnel currently on the roster, but he said he’s on the same page with General Manager Rick Spielman. And he said he thinks he’s the man to bring a title to the Wilf family, owners of the Vikings.

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion,” Zimmer said. “That is my goal and that is my drive.”

Zimmer described himself as “passionate” about his job and eager to start. Vikings fans will be eager to see if he can bring that championship he talked about.

Permalink 184 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
184 Responses to “Mike Zimmer “determined to bring a championship to Minnesota””
  1. duluthfan says: Jan 17, 2014 12:27 PM

Loved the interview!!!

Welcome aboard, Coach Zimmer!!!

2. thepftpoetlivesinhismomsbasement says: Jan 17, 2014 12:28 PM

He’ll get laughed at for this…but that’s what every coach should be saying or at least thinking.

You got your work cut out for you, sir.

3. 4greatestvikingever says: Jan 17, 2014 12:29 PM

So the Vikings ARE moving to the Arena League!

4. dtownsportslions says: Jan 17, 2014 12:29 PM

That will never happen

5. jonbeck316 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:30 PM

I didn’t know all it took was determination. I’m determined to get Kate Upton back to my apartment.

6. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 17, 2014 12:30 PM

Determined coaches are very dangerous. Dismantle his determination and destroy it, or he will do it to you. Don’t let him decide.

7. mrlaloosh says: Jan 17, 2014 12:31 PM

That Zimmer is a real comedian. Wait until he interacts with the lavender Larry fans. He may go insane.

8. 4allintensivepurposes says: Jan 17, 2014 12:31 PM

Leslie Frazier was kind of interested in bringing a championship to Minnesota. It was something he considered doing. He seemed open to the idea.

9. jkampel20 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:31 PM

As a Bengals fan I detest Mike Brown. How he let Zimmer walk and kept Marvin despite his terrible playoff record is beyond me. In fact, Marvin is the only coach in history to have 11 seasons without a playoff win. Congrats Mr. Brown and Marvin on your new, and hard earned record.

There’s a reason every single Bengals fan misses this guy already – he’s a damn fine coach.

From Bengaldom, we miss you Zim, but wish you all the best and much success! You are very deserving of this promotion.

10. isphet71 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:32 PM

Sounds like every other coach that has ever been hired.

11. ydousuk says: Jan 17, 2014 12:32 PM

Hand in Hand?????

12. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Jan 17, 2014 12:32 PM

I’m already declaring him the second-best coach in Vikings history.

13. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jan 17, 2014 12:32 PM

Viking nation? Sounds like Zim has a lot of Tim Brewster in him. #dynasty

14. rustygrizzwald says: Jan 17, 2014 12:33 PM

This sounds like a re-run of his job interview, “so Mike, what are your goals if you were to be the next head coach of the Vikings?”

I think I’d have hired the guy.

15. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 17, 2014 12:33 PM

They are all there up on the podium, hand in hand, with the confetti falling down… then the alarm clock rings…..

16. wstover says: Jan 17, 2014 12:33 PM

I liked Frazier as a coach. It was a bummer he had to go, but I do think today is a good day to be a Vikings fan.

17. natijim235 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:34 PM

good luck zim – job well deserved – cincy fans already miss your fire

18. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 17, 2014 12:34 PM

Zygi is already the world champion. He doesn’t need Roger Goodell to tell him that.

19. contra74 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:35 PM

Welcome Coach Zimmer!!!

20. glac1 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:35 PM

every great coach is great because he has a great quarterback at his side….. Mr. Zimmer, you do not have a great quarterback at your side…so…..

21. blizzard01 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:36 PM

Love it.

22. dragonflypack says: Jan 17, 2014 12:37 PM

what a suck up

23. spreadthecheese says: Jan 17, 2014 12:37 PM

So, let’s see. If you have zero and multiply it by one…

24. jedyknyt says: Jan 17, 2014 12:37 PM

I love this guy!!!!

25. dws123 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:38 PM

Browns fan here.

Zimmer paired with Norv Turner is seriously something for Vikes fans to get excited about. Would have loved to have seen that pairing in Cleveland.

26. granadafan says: Jan 17, 2014 12:38 PM

31 other teams? So, when were the Pats looking for another coach? I’d say the 49ers and Seahawks are rather content with their coaches.

27. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Jan 17, 2014 12:39 PM

I think we’ll see an immediate improvement in the defense next year and eventually it will be an elite unit. The championship stuff will depend on whether or not they get a quarterback.

28. smcgaels1997 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:39 PM

What’s he supposed to say ? “I know we suck and prob won’t ?”

29. arwiv says: Jan 17, 2014 12:39 PM

Hey Zim, calm down on the rex ryan routine dude. It sounds cool at first…..then 2 years later if the team still blows you’ll look like a buffoon.

I do wish him well though….I think he’ll be a pretty good head coach.

30. davetrembley says: Jan 17, 2014 12:40 PM

When Nick Saban became head coach of the Miami Dolphins he basically said the same thing, something like, ” I’m going to make every team hate playing us. They are going to dread coming down here and having to face the Miami Dolphins.”

And how did that work out for you, pal?

31. steelcurtainn says: Jan 17, 2014 12:41 PM

Isn’t every coach determined to do that.

32. seals1 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:41 PM

Didn’t sound like the “Jedi Mind Trick” coaching method we have been installing. Long ways to go but I’m on board. Let’s Play!

33. wclark22 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:42 PM

Championship in Minnesota? He must be talking Fantasy Football…..

34. dcstinks says: Jan 17, 2014 12:42 PM

So do the Jets and the Browns and the Bills and Detroit.

35. GenXJay says: Jan 17, 2014 12:43 PM

“whammy”

36. fwippel says: Jan 17, 2014 12:44 PM

As a Viking fan, these promises are nice to hear. We’ll see what happens on the field in a few months.

I hope Spielman and Zimmer can get along, but I also hope that Spielman is open to hearing from Zimmer and Norv Turner about selecting the next QB. Spielman has already struck out in this area by reaching for Ponder three years ago.

As a long-suffering fan of this team, I half expect the top four QBs to be gone before the Vikings pick at number 8, and then Spielman panics and selects a third round talent like Tajh Boyd or AJ McCarron.

37. davikes says: Jan 17, 2014 12:44 PM

Frazier was a great person, and the team played hard for him, but he shot himself in the foot with his OC and DC choices. If Zimmer can do better, the team will get to .500 this year, even w Cassel as QB. And .500 might win the NFC North.

38. seattlecoug says: Jan 17, 2014 12:44 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha….. maybe in LA, definitely NOT in Minnesota.

39. tokyosandblaster says: Jan 17, 2014 12:45 PM

Lol

40. sociosquatch says: Jan 17, 2014 12:46 PM

hahaha there’s probably a reason he’s 57 and has never been a head coach at any level. if he didn’t die his hair, he’d look just like the flacons coach.

41. jimnsota says: Jan 17, 2014 12:46 PM

Compared to Tice,Chilly and Frasier he actually sounded like a coach. Only time will tell, but I like what I’ve heard so far from Cincy fans and his press conference. SKOL!!

42. jwcarlson says: Jan 17, 2014 12:46 PM

lol@ the hand-in-hand part. :) Hilarious visual.

43. acuriousgal says: Jan 17, 2014 12:48 PM

Podium, confetti, Super Bowl Champion Vikings…..it’s all good!!

44. jtgush says: Jan 17, 2014 12:48 PM

(Zimmer) looking around on News Years eve…Oh there’s the confetti……….Super Bowl, Super Bowl………NOT!!!!

45. jusford says: Jan 17, 2014 12:50 PM

So when are the Vikings going to stage this mock Super Bowl victory?
    I’ll wager the other 31 teams will have something to say about his ambitions. (yawn)

46. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Jan 17, 2014 12:51 PM

I think Leslie Frazier was a very good coach who took over at a difficult time and was never given a quality quarterback. I would have been really upset if they replaced him with someone who was obviously inferior (copyright Jay Gruden). This guy looks like he’ll be a really good coach.

47. radar8 says: Jan 17, 2014 12:51 PM

So Zimmer has a goal of winning the superbowl. Luckily for him, no other coaches have that goal for their teams.

It this age of parity, a team has to be good AND lucky. Neither is enough.

48. greenbaydean says: Jan 17, 2014 12:52 PM

Mike Zimmer is already tied for havng the most Super Bowl Championships in Vikings history…

49. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 17, 2014 12:52 PM

At least the Vikes hired the guy who is determined to win the championship and not one of the other candidates who didn’t really care, either way. That’s why they hold interviews.

50. sportnorcal says: Jan 17, 2014 12:54 PM

What do you expect the guy to say?
    Minnesota deserves it, and another good NFC team in the league would be fun. Not just for that division but for the conference and league as a whole.

Plus AP deserves a decent team to play on. I still cant believe guys like that can return from such a devastating injury so fast. Good luck MINN.

51. rutchaser says: Jan 17, 2014 12:56 PM

Thanks a lot Mike Brown for not promoting him to HC. I’ve never heard Marvin have any passion in his interviews. He’s ok with being ok.

52. arrowtoyourknee says: Jan 17, 2014 12:57 PM

Definitely excited about this guy being in charge! Welcome, Zimmer!!

53. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Jan 17, 2014 12:58 PM

Fun fact: Today is the 15th anniversary of the 1999 NFC championship game. Could this press conference be the beginning of exorcising those demons?

54. abusementland says: Jan 17, 2014 1:01 PM

What did you expect him to say?

“Boy, uh, this team is terrible. I will be lucky to get this team to 7 wins next year with the current GM. Our QB situation is dissmal and I think if we draft a QB, that puts us out a couple years for reaching .500″

Come on folks, this is typical banter that comes from a new sheriff in town. EVERY Coach says it. What should be reported on is HOW he is going to accomplish said goal.

55. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Jan 17, 2014 1:01 PM

Two things I liked:

1. He wants to fit the scheme to the personnel, not the other way around. Opposite of Chilly.

2. He’s confident without sounding arrogant.

56. rho1953 says: Jan 17, 2014 1:01 PM

Goody. There is plenty of room in the (empty) trophy case, so that isn’t a problem. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for it to happen. You actually have to win some games first.

57. packerbackernj says: Jan 17, 2014 1:01 PM

He’s a good coach. If they bring in Norv they will be a decent team…thank god. Got tired of 6 guaranteed wins almost every year from the Lions and Vikings.

58. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 1:06 PM

Winning a Lombardi Trophy – it’s a lot of fun for everybody involved. Packer fans are incredibly blessed to have a NFL Record 13 World Championships.

You can always dream, Viking fans.

59. zvickers says: Jan 17, 2014 1:06 PM

Mike Zimmer was one of the coaches I thought would be really good, especially his aggressive personality. Im a Titans fan and he was originally my choice because I didnt think Whisenhunt was going to Tennessee the way the media twisted their headlines, so I mainly researched Zimmer. I am very happy we got Whisenhunt, but Mike Zimmer seems like a very good option too. Congrats Vikings

60. gbfb88 says: Jan 17, 2014 1:08 PM

What the difference between talking to a Minnesota Vikings fan about Super Bowl wins, and talking to an infant about teeth?

Eventually the infant will get teeth.

61. stigman2012 says: Jan 17, 2014 1:08 PM

“We regret not hiring you as HC.”

–Mike Brown, end of 2014 regular season.

62. 69finfan says: Jan 17, 2014 1:08 PM

So was Bud Grant

63. deflateddome says: Jan 17, 2014 1:09 PM

12 of which you were not even alive for

64. bgrillz says: Jan 17, 2014 1:14 PM

Good luck Zim, you’ll need it. You aren’t going to be calling defense vs Big Ben, Flacco, and whoever the browns saddle up. You contend with Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler at qb. You just took over the Cleveland Browns of the NFC North. Good luck!

65. purpleguy says: Jan 17, 2014 1:15 PM

Good hire, good presser, but until we get a QB, there ain’t gonna be any confetti thrown.

66. howyyru says: Jan 17, 2014 1:16 PM

Other notable Vikings determined to make ‘all the other teams pay for passing on me’ : Chad May and Onterrio Smith. I hope this one turns out better.

67. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 1:17 PM

Zimmer, nobody in MN cares about winning the whole thing.

What about division titles?

68. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 1:21 PM

“That’s nice, but how does a Championship help me break Eric Dickerson’s record?”

– Adrian Peterson

69. dcviking says: Jan 17, 2014 1:21 PM

Everyone is the NFL is determined:

Mike McCarthy is determined to drink bucket of gravy every day

70. dahmergeinteam says: Jan 17, 2014 1:23 PM

I just coughed up another lung when he said that, but fortunately I have several around here. This guy sounds dangerous, and I’m familiar with that feeling, but I’m worried for my boy, Aaron, he might get more than his feelings hurt with this guy around.

71. kyleorsello says: Jan 17, 2014 1:23 PM

Zimmer should be a good fit for the team but it’s going to depend on who our quarterback is this season. Cassles not bringing us to the playoffs and Peterson can’t do all the work. Manziel bridgewater and bortles will most likely be gone by our pick and well get stuck with Derek Carr as our best option. I don’t see Carr as a franchise guy. Just another ponder. Hopefully Zimmerman has a plan for us. Go viks

72. tformation says: Jan 17, 2014 1:27 PM

Hope Mister-Defense here as a good quarterback in mind to win that championship with. I hear you need a good one of those quarterback things these days to win a championship.

73. acmepackers says: Jan 17, 2014 1:28 PM

I’m a Packer fan and I think he’s the guy who takes the Vikes to the top. I can’t believe my fingers are typing this…

74. bassplucker says: Jan 17, 2014 1:28 PM

2013 was definitely a down year for the NFC North. Unless the Lions completely collapse under Caldwell I see that division becoming much tougher again next year… 10 wins minimum to take it, maybe 11.

75. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 1:28 PM

“Rookies. Give me some time with him, and he’ll be embracing the suck soon enough.”

– Jared Allen

76. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 1:30 PM

“This best thing about this hire is that it gives me one more season to update my resume”.

– Rick Spielman

77. stoptrippn says: Jan 17, 2014 1:31 PM

Not all the players in Cincy liked him. Watch him Adrian Peterson. He could ruin it

78. tlow97 says: Jan 17, 2014 1:31 PM

Erin Henderson, Chris Cook blanketing WRs, Ponder on the run, let’s GO!

79. coachgutz says: Jan 17, 2014 1:36 PM

Rut roh….. Toes on the line!

80. ruvelligwebuike says: Jan 17, 2014 1:45 PM

He’s a fiery, less intelligent version of Tim Brewster.

81. lscratchingthesurface says: Jan 17, 2014 1:57 PM

Chiefs fan here; however, always root for them when we’re not playing them. Congrats on your new coach and good luck next season!

82. summitmech says: Jan 17, 2014 2:01 PM

I like him already!

83. laxer37 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:01 PM

Just like all the championships he was a part of in Dallas and Cincinnati?

84. GenXJay says: Jan 17, 2014 2:01 PM

“…I hear Officer Big Mac still exists across the Mississippi.” – Mike Zimmer

85. clayshair says: Jan 17, 2014 2:05 PM

In the super bowl fantasy on the podium, who exactly is the QB standing next to him?

86. holdsteady76 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:06 PM

Love these articles, what else is he going to say?

87. ariani1985 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:07 PM

He has a 20-2 win record vs green bay. Should be easy.

88. puntonfirstdown says: Jan 17, 2014 2:18 PM

Name a new head coach that hasn’t stated his goal of bringing a Super Bowl championship to (*insert team name/city here*).

I wouldn’t start sprucing up that empty Vikings’ trophy case yet.

53 years of futility!

Beautiful.

89. vikinganswer says: Jan 17, 2014 2:20 PM

The Great Ted Thompson the Genius:

You cant say quality QB because usually people are referring to Rodgers or Brady or Manning, etc. I think good coaches can make these QBs quality. Close to that already, just not consistent. They just aren’t elite. All fans want elite and its not reasonable to think that due to the limited supply of them.

90. shaggytoodle says: Jan 17, 2014 2:21 PM

Well the trick is first you need to be competitive, and the Vikings are close.

By competitive I mean LOTS of close games.
    Then learning to win those close games.
    Then making a playoff push.

That’s how it was with the Lions when Schwartz came to town but eventually regressed.

That’s how it was when Rodgers began starting for GB.

They need a QB but the last time they hyperextended their selves to grab one.

91. kacimlangford says: Jan 17, 2014 2:21 PM

Haters gonna hate.

After the super bowl, everyone starts at 0-0.

Let’s go Vikings.

92. thatstinks says: Jan 17, 2014 2:22 PM

Sounds better than I will embrace failure or strive for mediocrity ; ) Good luck

93. manysodanice says: Jan 17, 2014 2:30 PM

Not understanding all this qb talk, granted we definitely need an upgrade at the position but our qb play has become the scapegoat for a bad season where the defense failed us much worse than any quarterback did (excepting for Freeman’s debacle on Monday night) with an improved defense we will be a scary team. We had 6 games this year that easily could have been wins rather than losses or ties. If we win 4 of those were in the playoffs… People need to cool it on thinking we need to go qb at 8. Let Zim build his D and Turner scheme with what we have on O. Love the hires, hope sales are at an all time high. Skol!

94. floratiotime says: Jan 17, 2014 2:31 PM

Whatever … just keep sending Zygi those tax dollars. Socialism for the rich. Oh yeah.

95. stellarperformance says: Jan 17, 2014 2:41 PM

I wish this guy luck. I enjoy having the North Division be solid all-around (perhaps not this year, but usually.)

I just think he’s too old. The game is not the same game as even fifteen years ago. He is probably a very good coach, so I wish him luck, but…….

96. saucegarbonzo says: Jan 17, 2014 2:43 PM

Mike Zim Zimma who got da keys to mi beama

97. banlarson says: Jan 17, 2014 2:47 PM

I was encouraged that we not planning to gut the roster to fit HIS scheme, but instead find guys with drive/chip on their shoulder and he’ll coach em up.

Breath of fresh air in MN. I honestly believe the Wilf’s want to win a Super Bowl and will provide whatever resources Zimmer and Speilman ask for.

Just hope the QB issue gets resolved correctly and Speilman can keep loading up on blue chip talent in the draft.

98. conormacleod says: Jan 17, 2014 2:49 PM

This is awesome!! I can literally smell the fear from Packer fans coming through my computer screen!!

99. coachjohnharbaugh says: Jan 17, 2014 2:52 PM

this guy is chasing what i already have

BAHAHAHA!! #RingsNeverLie

100. drago2012 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:52 PM

What else was he supposed to say. This is the standard speech of any new coach. Time will sort all this out. He will have to beat the Pack and my Bears first. Good luck Vikings!!!!!

101. conormacleod says: Jan 17, 2014 2:54 PM

stellarperformance says:
    Jan 17, 2014 2:41 PM
    —————————-
    Ok, I’ll bite. Why is he too old? What can’t he do that a younger guy can? How old is Bilichick?

You do realize he just coached one of the top D’s in the NFL, right? He isn’t coming out of retirement from 15 years ago. He has been successful under several coaches and with several different schemes on defense, including the 3-4 and 4-3.

But, the most important factor is…ALL of the NFL experts think it’s a great hire. While you are an anonymous poster on a website. I’ll put my money on the experts.

102. lerch77 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:55 PM

Wow! That introduction was championship caliber! Why don’t we just hand them the trophy now, and be done with it??? Hopefully, after he gets a healthy dose of what has confounded and befuddled our cursed franchise, he won’t leave town too dispirited…

103. ariani1985 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:56 PM

Now everyone in Minnesota open your door, point to the east and laugh at green bay for another home playoff loss!

104. elliottcovert says: Jan 17, 2014 2:58 PM

Sorry to take this guy from you Bengals fans, but at the same time it seems like a lot of you are also happy for him and know that he deserved a shot at a head coaching gig.

105. vavikingfan says: Jan 17, 2014 2:59 PM

Well he sure wasn’t going to say he planned to lose, but what is scary is that he and Spielman are on the same page which means another year of Ponder at QB but it will make his press conferences easier. “It’s correctable.”

106. whatjusthapped says: Jan 17, 2014 3:00 PM

Unless he starts coaching hockey, I don’t see him bring a championship to Minnesota.

107. frank booth says: Jan 17, 2014 3:09 PM

I think it’s neat that the Vikings fans have won the imaginary off-season Super Bowl.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, my guess is that 90% of Vikings fans had never heard of Zimmer. They have no idea how he coaches, delegates or anything about him. Now, in a few days, he’s Shula, Lombardi, and Belichick all wrapped into one.

What he is a successful defensive coordinator. He may end up being a great head coach, or… he could be Dave Wannstedt.

Minnesota Vikings are some of the least knowledgeable football fans in the country.

So, the Vikings fans may want to temper their enthusiasm a bit before they crown him the next Bud Grant.

108. magnusthe1st says: Jan 17, 2014 3:18 PM

Hate to say it, but I think the Vikes are making the right moves with Zimmer (and likely Norv Turner). Guys with no-nonsense attitute and a proven commidity.

My Packers better make some upgrades to their D and o-line before they get bowled over.

109. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:19 PM

Zimmer seems like a good guy, but Jesus Christ himself couldn’t fix the Vikings.

110. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:23 PM

A championship would be nice, but if he really wants to win over the MN fans, he’d need a couple DUI’s.

111. nflpoker says: Jan 17, 2014 3:27 PM

Sure looks like there are a lot of Packer fans out there chirping. BTW, how many points is your team favored by in the upcoming NFC championship game? Oh, wait. . .
    The NFCN is not a good division. No way you can make the playoffs if you were in the other divisions.

112. spicymudbugs says: Jan 17, 2014 3:29 PM

Just win one for the Zimmer!

113. kacimlangford says: Jan 17, 2014 3:32 PM

But somehow the 1970 and 1980’s Packers got better. Talk about 20 years of cellar dwellers.

114. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:36 PM

Zimmer’s first order of business will be to break the magical spell the Green Bay Packers have over the hapless and tasteless Vikings. In fact, the Packers have won 4 straight season series against their insecure neighbors to the West.

115. taintedsaints2009 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:37 PM

i hope the vikings have more patience with Zimmer now that their roster is about to get a whole lot younger. i hope he is given 5 years, minimum, to get this team back into contention. not superbowl contention…playoff contention. this team is about as far away as cleveland when it comes to being a superbowl contender. vikings fans need to accept that truth.

116. dcviking says: Jan 17, 2014 3:39 PM

If Packer fans can believe paying 250 dollars makes them an owner in anything more than name and believe they have an influence on the franchise, Viking fans can believe Zimmer is the best coach alive…

117. purplehaze28 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:40 PM

Love the fire!
    Dude’s got the eye of the tiger!

118. squared80 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:42 PM

Smartass comments aside, Zimmer is a great fit for Minnesota.

119. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:43 PM

“…….basically we just need to be less hapless and tasteless, and the other stuff will take care of itself.”

– Rookie Viking Coach Mike Zimmer

Well said, coach!

120. aldante66 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:50 PM

Lets see he is inheriting a team that is loaded with talent and play makers except at QB. He fixes that they should be div champs.
    The Packers will be in the basement, the Bears just above them and the Lions next. That’s if Caldwell can coach. Otherwise the Lions may be the basement dwellers and all hell breaks loose in Detroit.

121. jimmysee says: Jan 17, 2014 3:52 PM

” …….. and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion,” Zimmer said

Someone remind that fellow that it’s called the “Lombardi Trophy.”

Like Lovie Smith, all those years ago, his first task is figuring out how to beat Green Bay.

122. backdapack4evr says: Jan 17, 2014 3:53 PM

Set this guy up for failure..
    Typical for Minnesota!!

123. dcviking says: Jan 17, 2014 3:54 PM

“…….basically we just need another box of donuts, and the other stuff will take care of itself.”

– Packer Coach Mike “Moobs” McCarthy

Well said, coach!

124. jjh1982 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:57 PM

Lmao there’s gotta be something in the water in Minnesota, just can’t fix stupid

125. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:58 PM

Mike Tice.

Brad Childress.

Leslie Frazier.

Dude has some huge shoes to fill.

126. deltaoracle says: Jan 17, 2014 4:13 PM

I haven’t been so impressed by toughness since the year of Les Steckel.

127. frank booth says: Jan 17, 2014 4:15 PM

People that think the Vikings are loaded with talent are fooling themselves. They have Adrian Peterson as the prime talent, who is lately having trouble staying on the field as he starts feeling all those carries. An up-and-comer in Cordarelle Patterson, and a decent TE in Kyle Rudolph.

The defense was the worst in the league last year, and Jared Allen is on his last legs.

But yeah, loaded with talent.

It’s all good, though. You have a head coach who has never lost a game in his entire career.

If you want to see a team loaded with talent that underachieves, I would look to the Lions.

128. skolvikingsuperbowl says: Jan 17, 2014 4:24 PM

Figures. Our fans have always been dumb enough to buy whatever story their pushing out of Winter Park.

I’ll believe it if I ever see it.

129. toddc612 says: Jan 17, 2014 4:24 PM

Loved the interview. Like most Vikings fans, I’m excited about the hire — but we’ll have to wait and see how it pans out.

And for those of you mentioning Zimmer and Frazier in the same sentence, you’re doing both a disservice. One has a worked all his life for a head coaching opportunity and finally has one, while the other has proven to be a clueless leader, in over his head trying to run a football team.

Hopefully we can turn the page on the dark chapter that was last year.

Now, to get rid of Ponder..

130. ariani1985 says: Jan 17, 2014 4:28 PM

Let’s not forget people, Minnesota has won 18 of the past 22 games against turd bay! The future looks good.

131. lambeauwest says: Jan 17, 2014 4:29 PM

I think Mr Zimmer and Spielman are going to have an interesting challenge. Build a team that will be playing outdoor football (slow surface) for two years realizing it will be playing on a fast track after that.

Another issue for this regime will be the fact your best player is on his downside in AP. Love watching the guy play but its sinful this team couldn’t get him in a championship game. Closest he got is when MN borrowed a former Packer in #4.

By default, Zimmer will be an upgrade just by the fact his team is drafting high and frankly will be getting rid of some aging dead weight in Kevin Williams and the Neaderthal #69. The NFL is a young man’s game except maybe when it comes to QB. Good luck men, you’ll need it with both Detroit and Chicago improving and GB getting ready to re-load.

132. nickynick04 says: Jan 17, 2014 4:38 PM

Has anybody told this guy they do not have a stadium to play in.
    And that they have zero history of wining Championships.
    And most of their fans are 11 year old boys who have nothing better to do then to write fantasy on line

133. whatjusthapped says: Jan 17, 2014 4:39 PM

Oh boy, Zimmer is as delusional as the Viking fans so its a great fit so far.

No matter who they draft in the spring, this message board will be loaded with predictions of a sure fire Hall of Famer. If its a QB, watch out, Brady and Manning will be advise to just retire because this Viking QB is going to win it all.

I wish the guy a lot of luck but somewhere along the line, the team needs playmakers and talent. They also need a QB. Their secondary is on the morning menu everyday over at I-HOP (toast), their Lb’s are slow and offensive line is just that, offensive. Good luck with that stadium, its going to be a long haul to get out of the basement of the NFC North.

134. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 4:40 PM

Zimmer also vowed to upgrade the plus sized cheerleading squad by looking out of state.

135. dcviking says: Jan 17, 2014 4:42 PM

Adrian Peterson played in a championship — the NFC Championship. He fumbled multiple times — he can’t complain about never having opportunity.

136. duece5 says: Jan 17, 2014 4:43 PM

Packer fans are NERVOUS!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

137. dcviking says: Jan 17, 2014 4:43 PM

Packers should worry about their quarterback staying on the field — check who’s been sacked the most times over the past 5 years. Plus, Aaron desire seems to be waning….

138. dcviking says: Jan 17, 2014 4:44 PM

plus like they say “when one closet door opens”, a quarterback can come out!

139. willnit says: Jan 17, 2014 4:45 PM

He’s a spaz. Gym Shorts 2.0

140. koreystringerswidow says: Jan 17, 2014 4:45 PM

Does he believe in properly hydrating players in training camp?

141. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jan 17, 2014 4:47 PM

Almost forgot! Happy anniversary Vike fans. Wide left!

142. kacimlangford says: Jan 17, 2014 4:49 PM

Skol Vikings. (Please let this fall into a category that doesn’t get deleted.)

143. sadlyoptimisticmn says: Jan 17, 2014 4:53 PM

For a Viking fan to say we are instant Super Bowl contenders due to hiring Zimmer / Turner would be a little bit foolish.

But, it’s equally as foolish for a Packer fan to suggest we didn’t just improve dramatically because of these hires.

Let’s see how they play out, but I have a good feeling Viking fans have a lot to look forward to in 2014 and beyond.

144. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Jan 17, 2014 4:59 PM

lambeauwest says:Jan 17, 2014 4:29 PM

____

People keep saying this but I guess I’m too dumb to understand it. They have the same kind of artificial turf in the outdoor stadium that they had in the indoor stadium. Why does being outside make the surface slow?

145. pack15forever says: Jan 17, 2014 5:01 PM

I think Zimmer might be getting ahead of himself. His first objective should be to get the Vikings to play 500 ball!

146. duece5 says: Jan 17, 2014 5:04 PM

While our glorious franchise-the Vikings-is already on the upside after all our fired coaches guided us to the best 2nd half season reason in our division, the packers are crapping their pants in what has become of their current situation: a wobbly and aging QB that is being literally wasted away from the “decisions” of their genius coaches and management (TT) to not protect their most valuable asset.

Their defense is a mess, their oline is worthy of NAIA.

We look to continue our leading division championships to go for #19, while the packers are still stuck in a 2010 fog, wondering why they can’t become the “dynasty” they built, in thought only, for themselves!

When we don’t do well……..we demand accountability….and we got it:

-a NEW HC
    -a new OC
    -a new DC
    -a new QB right around the corner.

MM will not be able to hold Zimmer’s jock.

Nice job Spielman……now work up to the NO. 2 spot, and grab our QB for the next 12-15 years!

It’s coming boys……

Pack fans, I ALMOST feel sorry for you.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

147. weepingjebus says: Jan 17, 2014 5:07 PM

Seems like a decent fellow. I predict 19-0.

148. ariani1985 says: Jan 17, 2014 5:10 PM

U notice that green bay doesn’t have nice things?

149. dublindemonszfl says: Jan 17, 2014 5:13 PM

More scared packer fans commenting. chicken meatheads to the east, dead from the neck up “meathead”

150. azjam says: Jan 17, 2014 5:13 PM

I like Zimmer. An excellent hire for the Vikings. He will make them competitive right from the start.

151. ariani1985 says: Jan 17, 2014 5:14 PM

Is green bay gonna celebrate the 15-1 season on Sunday. They did beat the Giants right? Lol, I own you peasants!

152. dublindemonszfl says: Jan 17, 2014 5:14 PM

Who knew Archie Bunker was describing a packer fan.

153. chasedbyturtles says: Jan 17, 2014 5:23 PM

Chilly and Frazier are turning over in their graves watching this horrible display of emotion. What’s that? They’re not dead? No kidding?

154. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 5:25 PM

The Viking motto – “trying to imagine a brighter future while forgetting our terrible past.”

155. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 5:34 PM

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Touting Leslie Frazier’s communication style, crisis management skills and credibility with players, the Minnesota Vikings decided to strip the interim tag from the former NFL cornerback and make him their head coach.

Frazier stressed a team-first mentality on Monday, and a belief that “it’s only a matter of time” before the championship-deprived franchise wins a Super Bowl.

January 4, 2011

Too funny.

156. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 5:40 PM

With seven other teams looking for head coaches, Wilf said he considered Childress the “elite coach,” and wanted to get him before somebody else did.

The Minnesota Vikings have hired Brad Childress to be the team’s new head coach. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf announced the move Friday morning, just days after he fired coach Mike Tice. Childress is the former offensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles. Childress says he’s got the experience and the values needed to bring a championship to Minnesota, even though he’s never been an NFL head coach before.

January 6, 2006

157. thinkarez says: Jan 17, 2014 5:49 PM

Minnesota struck gold here, as a Cincinnati fan he will be dearly missed. I will know have the vikings as my number 2 team just because I want to see zims succeed! but the who dey always come 1st!

158. acmepacker says: Jan 17, 2014 6:00 PM

cviking says: Jan 17, 2014 3:39 PM

********************************
    Maybe you can help me out. With all that knowledge
    about the Packers, perhaps you can tell me who does own them. Hint: It’s not some billionaire hoping to
    make a juicy profit with the help of the taxpayers. Sound familiar?

159. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 6:01 PM

But it’s totally different this time.

160. teamnorsecore says: Jan 17, 2014 6:11 PM

packerbackernj says:
    Jan 17, 2014 1:01 PM
    …………
    I see you started cheering for the Packers after the 2010 season like so many others on here……..Congrats.

161. teamnorsecore says: Jan 17, 2014 6:13 PM

whatjusthapped says:
    Jan 17, 2014 4:39 PM
    Oh boy, Zimmer is as delusional as the Viking fans so its a great fit so far.

………..
    What should have he said? I forgot, you chose to cheer for the Packers so you know it all, even what newly hired Head Coaches should say at press conferences.

162. teamnorsecore says: Jan 17, 2014 6:20 PM

frank booth says:
    Jan 17, 2014 3:09 PM

………..
    Hey Tokyo/Filthy, why are you making stuff up again? Vikes fans are happy the team hired what appears to be a good coach. What is the problem here? What do YOU want Viking fans to say?

163. GenXJay says: Jan 17, 2014 6:21 PM

“Greenbay? Is that the place with the always questionable qb? & I don’t mean injury wise. WHAMMY!” – Mike Zimmer

164. teamnorsecore says: Jan 17, 2014 6:23 PM

Packer fans seem pretty wound up on here about Zimmer………wonder why?

165. dzone380 says: Jan 17, 2014 6:40 PM

Zimmer!!!!!!

166. Norseman says: Jan 17, 2014 6:48 PM

Get a descent QB, and the Vikings will have the rest of the talent in place to win a Super Bowl.

Zimmer as head coach and effectively DC, and Norv Turner as OC could be a pretty formidable combination.

167. telldatruth says: Jan 17, 2014 7:08 PM

He didn’t try to win one in cincy just sayin

168. voyager6 says: Jan 17, 2014 7:17 PM

And Marvin Lewis is happy to just make the playoffs…..

169. edshrinker says: Jan 17, 2014 7:43 PM

Congrats Viking fans. Dated a girl who was from Cinci. Since she was the one who could afford the Sunday Ticket – I watched a lot of Bengals games. He is one helluva a defensive coordinator. Guys coming from everywhere – scary D that dictates to teams. You did good with this hire.

And see – I’m a Packer fan. I don’t go to Vikings articles to troll or to be a snotty jerk. I came here to congratulate you. That’s called”being gracious”. You might want to try that sometime when you are leaving a*hole comments on Packer, Lion, and Bear articles.

I just wasted my breath, didn’t I?

170. rockbottom37 says: Jan 17, 2014 8:07 PM

His defenses were good in regular season ,not the playoffs and he has no credentials like the other hires , what’s he suppose to say..hey we gonna suck for another five years. Problem with Vikings is that they are in a tough division and they have the least talent in the division.

171. dcviking says: Jan 17, 2014 8:24 PM

cviking says: Jan 17, 2014 3:39 PM

********************************
    Maybe you can help me out. With all that knowledge
    make a juicy profit with the help of the taxpayers. Sound familiar?

——————————-

Well, yeah …. nobody whoever made a billion dollars would ever invest anything in Wisconsin.

But if you think the taxpayers didn’t pay for Lamblow field’s construction, maybe you should increase your knowledge.

172. luz56 says: Jan 17, 2014 9:51 PM

Good luck Zim!

173. vikeshave0titles says: Jan 17, 2014 10:59 PM

I was disappointed when the Vikings and Lions fired their coaches and then they hired Caldwell and Zimmer. Love it!

174. 49erfan44 says: Jan 17, 2014 11:57 PM

Mike singletary gave great speeches too. “I want winners!” You have to make them want to win. Harbaugh did that.

175. coachbeck says: Jan 18, 2014 4:44 AM

Bengals can here. Vikes got a good coach. Good luck he will be all over those guys on fundamentals. He will drive that just like they do in Cincy.

And you marvin and mike brown haters. Trust your guys who do the hiring. Paul Guenther and Hue Jackson will be hired as head coaches soon enough as well. Marvin has really out together a nice staff. Especially if Schwartz becomes the LB coach.

176. bonniebengal says: Jan 18, 2014 7:14 AM

The Vikings will not be sorry. Zim is a heck of a coach. You will see players who have played for him in the past start to follow him to the Vikings. The players love him and he gets results. Win/win. I expect Vikes to win their division within two years, and a Super Bowl will happen. Welcome to your new dynasty.

177. oshkoshoz says: Jan 18, 2014 7:26 AM

Yep, people of Brown County ponied up, and are still paying, a half-cent “Packers Tax” for the two upgrades at Lambeau Field. The first upgrade came a couple of years after SB 31, and the Packers rose the super bowl flush of their 2010 win and stuck the dupes of Brown County and outside the county fans with another “stock sale” to finance the recent expansion. They can’t even sell it out anymore in playoff games, and when I went to a game in early December, there were hundreds of empty seats. Greed equals the Green Bay Packers.

178. stellarperformance says: Jan 18, 2014 7:32 AM

I think all fans should be excited about changes that might finally bring success to their team of choice . But Viking fans…..they don’t speculate, they try to tell you how things are going to be……while insulting the competition. Typical. As always. All hat, no cattle.

This coach is saying the same thing all new coaches in the division say; Beat the Green Bay Packers. Until that happens, save it.

179. teamnorsecore says: Jan 18, 2014 5:53 PM

stellarperformance says:
    Jan 18, 2014 7:32 AM

………..
    List a couple non trolling, REAL examples of what you are describing from Viking fans. All I see is optimistic comments and excitement, which is warranted for Viking fans. I am waiting for your REAL examples of what you described above.

180. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jan 18, 2014 6:19 PM

Zim hasn’t coached a snap yet — of course he’s going to say that. What is he supposed to say? He wants to bring mediocrity to the twin cities?

Matt Millen, and most everyone else similarly situated, uttered similar sentiments.

Yes, we get it. The goal is to win the championship. Thing is, I think they understood this concept since the first Olympics back in ancient Greece.

181. ichiganian says: Jan 20, 2014 4:46 PM

A championship will absolutely come to Minnesota, after their new stadium is finished and their bid to host the SB is accepted. The Vikings, on the other hand, will be ringless for the foreseeable future.

182. gbmickey says: Jan 21, 2014 9:42 AM

Whats worse than another offseason of no football is the insufferable Viking fans begin the talk like they are team to be feared and will have the best offseason for the 5th straight year. At least Detroit fans had the common sense to shut after they said the same thing after their good season and now wait to see how they do on the field first. The vike fans version of a super bowl is hiring a new coach, what a sad franchise to have such lofty goals.

183. timmerml says: Jan 21, 2014 3:43 PM

To get to world champ status you have to build a team that can get past the divisional “king of the hill”, GB, THEN youll have a shot. Thats what Baltimore did to compete with Pittsburgh.

184. realitycheck21 says: Jan 24, 2014 8:16 AM

After making those comments, Zim woke up when he fell out of bed and smacked his noggin.