Packers announce Kevin Greene’s leaving coaching staff

Kevin Greene AP

Packers assistant coach and Hall of Fame finalist Kevin Greene is leaving the team’s coaching staff, the team announced Friday.

“I am stepping away from the NFL at this time in order to spend more time with my wife, Tara, and our children, Gavin and Gabrielle,” Greene said in a statement released by the team. “I will miss coaching and will try to return after our kids move on to college if a team will have me.

“My experience here with the Green Bay Packers has been nothing but positive. I am eternally grateful for the opportunity that Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson have blessed me with. I have a peace about the productivity that I helped bring forward in all of the fine young men that have been entrusted to me these past five years. I am most proud of all their accomplishments and the fine young men they’ve become in this league.”

Greene coached with the Packers five seasons, coming in under the tutelage of his old coach Dom Capers, who has drawn criticism in recent years.

Greene still ranks third on the NFL’s all-time sack list with 160.0, more than any linebacker, and trailing only Bruce Smith and Reggie White.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
54 Responses to “Packers announce Kevin Greene’s leaving coaching staff”
  1. thepftpoet says: Jan 17, 2014 2:23 PM

After a while most coaches can’t handle the haplessness of the Packers organization.

I don’t blame the guy.

2. klattubarada says: Jan 17, 2014 2:25 PM

Wow… stunned.
    But… good for him. Would be nice to have the same option of taking a break to spend more time with family.
    I hope there isn’t some medical issue also driving the decision.

3. thepftpoet says: Jan 17, 2014 2:25 PM

Kevin Greene reportedly left the team because Mike McCarthy kept stealing his lunch during the team practices

4. binkystevens says: Jan 17, 2014 2:26 PM

Ah shoot. I love hearing that guy mic’d up on game days. He’s as amped as the players. Not sure if he was actually a good coach, but he was definitely a motivator.

5. emoney826 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:27 PM

Only coach on our defense that I liked.

6. ingraven says: Jan 17, 2014 2:28 PM

Isn’t he from WCW wrestling?

7. sdsmooth says: Jan 17, 2014 2:28 PM

Are the Vikings trying to talk him out of retirement yet?

8. grantsbuds says: Jan 17, 2014 2:30 PM

“It’s time….it’s time.”
    Sick of dealing with back ups starting?
    The Pack should let their trainers go not Kevin.

9. bassplucker says: Jan 17, 2014 2:32 PM

As a Bears fan I would love for Phil Emery to track him down and offer him several million reasons a year to come coach the DL in Chicago. Contrary to what everyone saw on the field this season, we actually do have some promising young DEs… they just need solid teaching and an occasional kick in the backside.

10. teamgale88 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:32 PM

It was time

11. thehatefulnerd says: Jan 17, 2014 2:36 PM

The fans love Greene.

Hope it’s not a post-concussion scenario. Great coach, far as we’re concerned.

12. shaggytoodle says: Jan 17, 2014 2:37 PM

Thanks for the great years, and contributing to bringing the Lombardi trophy back to GB.

13. clayshair says: Jan 17, 2014 2:38 PM

Irony: most commenters on here want to spend less time with their family and more time on football.

14. sleeper692 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:41 PM

Kevin Green is one awesome person. Not only was he a great player and coach, he is an awesome human being.

When my unit returned from Desert Storm, Kevin’s brother happened to be in my unit. There, as we got off the plane, was Kevin Greene shaking each and every person’s hand and welcoming us home. I remember the moment like it happened yesterday and I will always remember his kindness.

Kevin, the NFL will be waiting for your return with open arms. I wish you and your family well!

15. backdapack4evr says: Jan 17, 2014 2:43 PM

Pay this guy to stay!!
    Better than any coach the Vikings ever had!!

16. njpackerfan says: Jan 17, 2014 2:44 PM

Staying home with the wife and kids? Hmmmmmmm…I think he will be back coaching sooner rather than later!

17. mward5508 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:45 PM

I’m a Niners fan, and naturally “hated” him when he was with the L A Rams in the 80s, but boy, what a warrior.

18. qoojo says: Jan 17, 2014 2:47 PM

So is Greene MM’s scapegoat this year, or is he really stepping down for family? TT hasn’t given Greene much to work with opposite of Matthews. The 1st rounder cannot stay healthy. After that, the list is nothing but low rounders and undrafted FAs. Oh, and one 2nd/3rd round DE that could not stay healthy, then was converted to OLB this year.

19. shaggytoodle says: Jan 17, 2014 2:49 PM

I think this is going to be a trend. These guys need to spend time with their families.

Coaching is a high, demand high stress, job.

That’s why I believe you you see guys like Cowher, Gruden, & Mooch.

Just rather do the TV gigs.

20. joshmac982 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:56 PM

Headline opportunity fail:

“Kevin is moving on to Greener pastures. “

21. alshonbrandontandem says: Jan 17, 2014 2:58 PM

“I really liked Kevin Greene, alot”

Aaron Rodgers

22. contra74 says: Jan 17, 2014 2:59 PM

Do you recall the comments Packer fans left about Singletary leaving the Vikings?

So…how does this reflect on the Packers? Same way or will the packer kool aid spin machine turn it into something else?

23. ariani1985 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:00 PM

And nothing of value will be lost. But in his defense that has to be the worst set of linebackers in the nfl.

24. ingraven says: Jan 17, 2014 3:00 PM

yea that’s him. and he was in NWO too

25. tinbender2000 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:06 PM

Smart man. You only have one chance to be with them growing up.

26. briansalo1 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:20 PM

Hell of a Steeler!

27. 49erfan44 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:21 PM

Somewhere, Clay “one trick pony” Matthews is crying.

28. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Jan 17, 2014 3:24 PM

Everyone’s jumping off that sinking ship.

29. 69finfan says: Jan 17, 2014 3:24 PM

I have no dog in this fight but how in the world can a Viking’s fan rip on the Packers? That’s as asinine as Greg Norman stating a month or so ago that he could have beat Tiger in his prime.

30. conormacleod says: Jan 17, 2014 3:27 PM

Ok, I’m sure he’s a great guy. But, put aside his playing career for a second, and let’s just look at his coaching. What accomplishments did he have?

He was a great coach? So, I’m guessing the players just sucked then? Green Bay has had a bottom tier defense for years. You can’t possibly deny that. You can make excuses, but it’s still true. Rodgers carries that team. The defense has never done anything other than try to hold on and have Rodgers outscore the opponent.

Nice guy (apparently). But no great loss.

31. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:27 PM

Great Packer coach. No gold watch necessary. I’m glad he got a Superbowl ring in Green Bay.

32. smitastic says: Jan 17, 2014 3:31 PM

I was hoping when McCarthy got fired or left that Greene was going to get the reins. I don’t think many other people have the drive that Kevin Greene does!

33. conormacleod says: Jan 17, 2014 3:36 PM

I notice the article doesn’t actually state what he did for the Packers. “Assistant Coach”. It also doesn’t state how those Packers D’s ranked during his tenure with the team. Good call on pointing out his playing career, because his Coaching career is nothing to brag about.

34. billytodd2013blbaad says: Jan 17, 2014 3:41 PM

Remember seeing him with the Steelers, Him and lloyd made a dangerous duo. Going to miss seeing him on the sidelines but family comes first.

35. twisteditoff says: Jan 17, 2014 3:41 PM

i wouldent want to stick around this wana be team

36. squared80 says: Jan 17, 2014 3:43 PM

Without Aaron Rodgers, that organization is a joke, from the GM to the inept coaches. Kudos to Greene for getting out.

37. beerbratscheese says: Jan 17, 2014 3:45 PM

Thanks for your time in Green Bay, Kevin. I hoped you enjoyed it as much as we enjoyed having you here.

You will be missed, but I’m sure you put a lot of thought into this and are making the best decision for you and your family; and that’s the most important thing.

Good luck to you, and I hope to see you in the HOF real soon.

38. purpleguy says: Jan 17, 2014 3:45 PM

He had to leave as he could no longer attend Packer defensive coach meetings without laughing at Dom’s comb-over and dye job.

39. deltaoracle says: Jan 17, 2014 4:10 PM

I’d rather it was Winston Moss leaving. For some reason he just stays both invisible and bullet proof. The invisible part is easy to understand, since his inside linebackers contribute very little. But I have no idea why McCarthy thinks so highly of him and made him Assistant Head Coach or whatever the title is. One of life’s big mysteries.

40. rajbais says: Jan 17, 2014 5:12 PM

He’s not that bad, but Capers should have been let go. The worst part of all is that Ray Horton is still available.

Maybe Greene could join where home really is, Pittsburgh.

41. gophersnot says: Jan 17, 2014 5:57 PM

Green Bay has a defense?

42. jkaflagg says: Jan 17, 2014 6:08 PM

Greene had the most important trait of a successful pash rusher – a burning desire to get to the QB on every play. If he could somehow pass that on to all the players he worked with, he would be the the greatest coach in the world. Hope he returns to coaching in the near future.

43. axespray says: Jan 17, 2014 6:30 PM

Our fans can’t appreciate a good front office – good coaching staff.

I almost want Ted and company to pack up and rebuild the jaguars into a contender – leave the Packers and put Bob McGinn in charge…. see the team fall apart and see if these spoiled fans can learn to appreciate the hard work and accomplishments these guys brought to our team.

44. gbpack50 says: Jan 17, 2014 6:36 PM

Every day we hear a Packers coach is leaving but it is never the one that needs to go, CAPERS!

45. broncos4ever says: Jan 17, 2014 6:41 PM

kevin Greene was the heir apparent to Capers now that he is leaving tells all of us capers will be here forever ughhhhh

46. wafflestomp says: Jan 17, 2014 7:28 PM

Seriously wonder if Kevin Greene wasn’t just let go by McCarthy.
    “Spending time with the family” is an oft used explanation, when a head coach wants to part ways with an assistant in a neat and clean matter.

With the exception of Clay Matthews, the Packers have struggled to convert college, hand in the dirt linemen, into serviceable 3-4 linebackers.

Just a thought.

47. GenXJay says: Jan 17, 2014 8:41 PM

Greene finally found out who really owns the greenbay packers…the 49ers.

48. satanicxhellxcreature says: Jan 17, 2014 11:12 PM

So, he’d rather be unemployed than be in Green Bay. Sounds logical.

49. bobnelsonjr says: Jan 17, 2014 11:52 PM

Coach Greene had a tough season. He could be feeling burned out right now. So many linebackers were injured and at the he was starting undrafted rookies.

You can’t blame the coach for injuries.
    Don’t think Greene was a bad coach because the linebackers return healthy next season.

50. badgers321 says: Jan 18, 2014 8:24 AM

Coach Greene did a great job with what was handed to him. Ted did not give him much to work with and injuries did not help. Anyone who thinks he was forced to leave is crazy. He is just a man who wants to spend time with his family..no fault in that.

51. usdcoyotesfan says: Jan 18, 2014 2:45 PM

Greene was the only coach on our defense who I like.

IT IS TIME.

52. diveleft says: Jan 21, 2014 1:10 PM

Maybe he left because he has a phobia towards certain lifestyles…yes, this is directed towards the QB.

53. zinjaboy says: Jan 21, 2014 1:55 PM

you mean the “lifestyle” of having the highest QB rating of all time, a superbowl win, and division championship year after year? that lifestyle?

54. zinjaboy says: Jan 21, 2014 2:23 PM

i mean i guess a “winning phobia” is possible. all the interviews, attention, accolades, super bowl week circus …… who needs it? you bring up a good point…. success pushes a lot of people away. LOL