NaVorro Bowman hauled off after gruesome knee injury

NFC Championship - San Francisco 49ers v Seattle Seahawks Getty Images

A game that has been played on the fringe of physical and violent has taken another victim.

After apparently recovering a fumble, 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman’s left knee was collapsed in the ensuing pile, and he was carted off the field in the fourth quarter.

The gruesome injury, which was replayed a time or three too many, came on a play which wasn’t reviewed.

On the ensuring fourth-down play at the goal line, Marshawn Lynch fumbled, and  the 49ers recovered, trailing 20-17.

If anyone’s left standing, it could be an incredible finish.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks
38 Responses to “NaVorro Bowman hauled off after gruesome knee injury”
  1. f1restarter says: Jan 19, 2014 9:29 PM

Horrible officiating. Just horrible. Karma had to finally step in and make things right.

2. thekiller678 says: Jan 19, 2014 9:29 PM

Just hope he’s healthy for next year.. That LB corps is as beast as it gets

3. hazelmn says: Jan 19, 2014 9:31 PM

Good luck, Navarro. I hope it isn’t as bad as it looked.

That injury aside, this is one of the funnest games I have watched in a long time.

4. sabatimus says: Jan 19, 2014 9:33 PM

Oh wow that was completely terrible to watch :(

5. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 19, 2014 9:33 PM

Clean fumble and clear recovery, should have been San Fran’s ball then instead of forcing them to create yet another TO.

6. chrisknowsdbr says: Jan 19, 2014 9:34 PM

They replayed that way too many times. Hope for a speedy recovery Bowman.

7. nfl4days says: Jan 19, 2014 9:35 PM

They really need to stop showing 200 angles of gruesome knee injuries.

8. sf49ers4 says: Jan 19, 2014 9:36 PM

Thanks Fox for showing the injury over and over

9. bleedgreen says: Jan 19, 2014 9:36 PM

Can someone explain to me why when the SF right guard slaps the center, then sets, and then the guard stands back up, its not a false start? He did it twice in a 5 play span. Once he set, everyone on the line was set, and he stood up. It should only NOT be a false start if its the center.

10. jerrykill4pres says: Jan 19, 2014 9:38 PM

Is it just me….. Or does Colin Kaepernick remind you of Beetlejuice?

Does anyone remember that movie? With the big body, and the tiny head? When they show CK on the sidelines, I always laugh cuz he reminds me of that. Big arms, and a head the size of a pimple. lol…

11. deathonwings410 says: Jan 19, 2014 9:38 PM

Damn, that was horrible. Good luck, Bowmen. Hope he recovers.

12. jazsrt says: Jan 19, 2014 9:39 PM

These refs are making worse calls than my local weatherman…

And I live in Chicago.

13. turfdaddy says: Jan 19, 2014 9:39 PM

Nasty looking.

14. wishingtonredslur says: Jan 19, 2014 9:39 PM

Seahawks should not be winning this game. You got robbed San Fran, and not 12th man robbed, not simultaneous possession robbed, no, you got Zebra robbed.

15. beavertonsteve says: Jan 19, 2014 9:39 PM

Apparently the 13th man wears black and white stripes.

16. allidoiswin55 says: Jan 19, 2014 9:39 PM

As a hawks fan I hope he’s okay that was a terrible call . Someone above evened it out with better field position the next play .. Glad to see the niners didn’t get screwed . I don’t want either team that loses blaming the refs theirs been terrible calls against both teams ..

17. navigator24 says: Jan 19, 2014 9:39 PM

Looks like ACL/MCL…damn

18. chunkderrrty says: Jan 19, 2014 9:40 PM

You could see him screaming in pain but he would not let go of the ball, that man is a true warrior.

19. dukeearl says: Jan 19, 2014 9:41 PM

SF is actually in good position to take this game back….

20. flycewater says: Jan 19, 2014 9:42 PM

The older I get and the more games I watch, the more I realize just how much of a joke the NFL really is. It’s rigged to a certain extent as well. Guess that’s what happens when huge amounts of money are involved.

21. csilojohnson says: Jan 19, 2014 9:43 PM

Apparently recovered? Did you close your eyes for all those mentioned replays?
    Dont see how anyone can take this league seriously anymore.
    These are not judgement calls that are being missed..
    (I am not a fan of either team. Just a disgruntled fan of football. Tired of seeing the integrity of the game being sacrificed for manufactured parity)

22. allidoiswin55 says: Jan 19, 2014 9:43 PM

Bleed green I see this exact same thing happening don’t know why it’s not called

23. thelionsrgreat says: Jan 19, 2014 9:45 PM

Crabtree=COWARD. Awful looking on bowman. Out a long time I bet. Never want to see that happen.

24. beastmode5150 says: Jan 19, 2014 9:46 PM

That was nasty. Love that dude as a hawk fan.

25. allidoiswin55 says: Jan 19, 2014 9:47 PM

Threpftpoet hush your mouth your watching through rosed colored glasses . Theirs been multiple missed calls that helped the niners . Yes the bowman call was incorrect but I’m happy the niners got the ball back from the lynch fumble wouldn’t want to see a good play go so obviously wrong ..

Lastly hey over yourself your definitively a troll hater . The Vikings suck and if not for Peterson you wouldn’t have any interest as a team and no chance of winning ..

The niners have made mistakes and hae held tough in the red zone and Seahawks defense has started to dominate in the pass game ..

26. atwatercrushesokoye says: Jan 19, 2014 9:49 PM

Bleedgreen: linemen can move as long as they’re not in a 3 point stance and they reset for 1 second before the ball is snapped. That’s how college teams can call a play do a fake snap and then have everyone look to the sidelines for the new play. If they’re in a 3 point they have to stay set.

27. axespray says: Jan 19, 2014 9:55 PM

I hate the niners (they keep knocking my team out of the playoffs these last couple of years).

But man… that was awful – the refs and the injury.

I wouldn’t want that nasty leg injury on my worst enemy.

28. taintedsaints2009 says: Jan 19, 2014 10:14 PM

I wish fox didn’t replay that so many times but at the same time, it was a play they had to replay. Gruesome.

Damn shame. Love bowman. I hope he can come back with the same ability.

29. kev86 says: Jan 19, 2014 10:29 PM

One tough sob hanging onto ball like that. Wow. Hope he can play again.

30. uberMensch() says: Jan 19, 2014 10:51 PM

That was ugly. Right up there with the EJ Henderson injury a few years back. It’s amazing he still held onto the ball even after it happened, a true warrior.

But it’s too bad the NFL and their stupid “non-reviewable’ b.s. had to rear it’s ugly head in a pivotal situation…AGAIN!

31. gbfanforever says: Jan 19, 2014 11:05 PM

That was awful. Terrible to see. I know its early but I’d say playing in 2014 is wishful thinking. That looked like it probably involved tendons as well as liginents.

32. dst328 says: Jan 19, 2014 11:11 PM

A cousin of NaVorro out of Concord NC…an awful look to see him finish like that. In all games he played hard and he played strong….He will be back…strong faith strong finish

33. montanahawkfan84 says: Jan 20, 2014 12:04 AM

Horrible injury to Bowman. Hope you have a speedy recovery and return for next year. Also, excellent fumble recovery.

34. 64post says: Jan 20, 2014 12:16 AM

Seattle fans throwing skittles at Bowman when he was taken off the field on a gurney shows they’re not far behind Sherman in the class dept.

35. 64post says: Jan 20, 2014 12:19 AM

helionsrgreat says:
    Jan 19, 2014 9:45 PM

Crabtree Coward? Sherman had a chance to do something after Crabs pushed on his face mask but waited to get “on stage” to talk all his classless banter..

36. OnceACOWBOYFAN says: Jan 20, 2014 12:33 AM

BRADY , PLAYS ftball… Manning plays chess,boring he is

37. fubar000 says: Jan 20, 2014 12:38 AM

oh man. I despise the niners but I hated to see what happened to Bowman. That was another one of the worst things I’ve seen since Joe Thiesman’s career ending break.

38. 5to46hawkfan says: Jan 20, 2014 12:48 AM

Godspeed bowman…. GO HAWKS!