John Fox: Just standing here feels pretty good

9d81af4e65447c193421e237bbd66183 AP

It’s been an eventful year for Broncos coach John Fox.

He entered the year with heavy expectations after the Broncos lost their playoff opener last year and they only rose as the Broncos earned the top seed in the AFC. Fox missed some of the games that got them that seed after having¬†aortic valve replacement surgery during the season and then rehabbed in time to guide the team to the Super Bowl. Reaching that goal naturally makes Fox feel pretty good, although he said Sunday that he’s been feeling that way a lot since his surgery.

“Just standing here feels pretty good because I almost wasn’t,” Fox said, via the Denver Post.

Win or lose against the Seahawks, Fox will probably be feeling pretty good at some point this offseason as well. Fox’s contract expires after the 2014 season and it is hard to imagine that the Broncos won’t be rewarding his three straight division titles and AFC championship with an extension that keeps him in Denver for several more years.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “John Fox: Just standing here feels pretty good”
  1. richiebburg says: Jan 20, 2014 11:51 AM

Getting sick of Seahawks fans already. They fail to realize this is the greatest offense in NFL history. It will be a tough game. Broncos 34 Hawks 21

2. cajunaise says: Jan 20, 2014 11:54 AM

The question has been answered. So, everyone: stop playing that song.

3. bleedgreen says: Jan 20, 2014 11:58 AM

He did well with Tebow, for sure. But the previous 2 seasons have been a product of good receivers + PFM. To get a true indication, you have to give him 2-3 years WITHOUT Manning.

4. brutus9448 says: Jan 20, 2014 11:59 AM

I hope the broncos pound the hawks and their loud mouth players and coaches.

5. singhgill says: Jan 20, 2014 12:01 PM

Seahawks belong in this game. It will be a great game. Defense wins championships. Go Hawks.

6. kingmj4891 says: Jan 20, 2014 12:09 PM

bleedgreen says:
    Jan 20, 2014 11:58 AM

_______________________________

I agree a bit with you on that but Fox is not the only coach that Manning gave a name too see Dungy, Tony most overatted HC in the last decade.

7. Deb says: Jan 20, 2014 12:12 PM

As a Steelers fan, I cringe every time someone says we were “Tebowed” a couple of years ago–not because I resent losing, but because it’s not true. We were “outFoxed.” It was John Fox, not Tim Tebow, who engineered our defeat and he should have gotten credit for devising a game plan that played to the strengths of a QB who couldn’t find a team three years later.

Now Fox–and Elway–have built a team on genuine talent led by a future HoF quarterback. They gambled on Manning and the gamble has paid off. It’s their time. I’ll be rooting for them on Super Sunday.

8. davikes says: Jan 20, 2014 12:19 PM

I think Fox deserves the extension, but I wonder if they win the SB, will he retire? This season had to be more than a little scary for the family, and he’s not that young anymore. It will have to cross his mind.

9. pigseye1859 says: Jan 20, 2014 12:21 PM

John Fox also coached a Jake Delhomme led team to the Super Bowl.

He’s a good personality fit for a team like the Broncos with good veteran leadership, and he sets a tone of class for the organization. He also surrounds himself with good assistants and lets them do their job.

10. davikes says: Jan 20, 2014 12:23 PM

And for those who say Fox is riding PM’s coattails, there are plenty of coaches who had great coattails to ride and couldn’t get it done. Denny Green with Carter and Moss for starters. Detroit with Barry Sanders. Any Dan Marino team. If Denver wins it, Fox deserves some credit.

11. numbskull111 says: Jan 20, 2014 1:12 PM

Also…being one of only 5 other coaches (Shula, Parcells, Vermeil, Reeves, and Holmgren) to take two teams to the Super Bowl is a pretty big achievement.

12. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 20, 2014 1:46 PM

“Just standing here feels pretty good. But I think I’m going to go lie down for a bit, I’m starting to get dizzy….”.

13. Deb says: Jan 20, 2014 1:50 PM

“Seahawks belong in this game.”

Seahawks made it to this game with considerable help from the officials. Now if I were anything like the Seahawks fans, I’d be ranting that your owner–the wealthiest owner in the NFL–must have paid them off. I’d be blaming the Seahawks for calls that went their way even though they had nothing to do with it. I’d spend the next eight years screaming that they robbed the 49ers and should have asterisks beside their names on the list of NFC conference champions.

But I’m nothing like a Seahawks fan. I understand that bad calls happen. I understand that your team worked long and hard to make the Super Bowl and deserves its show. I’m intelligent enough to know that the Seahawks themselves had nothing to do with any bad calls on the field.

No … I’m nothing like a Seahawks fan. And no one on my Steelers team ever behaved toward the Seahawks after SBXL the way Richard Sherman behaved last night.