Sean McVay will coach quarterbacks while Jay Gruden calls plays

85f86749eddf905caf5c79124b1b695d AP

The Redskins promoted Sean McVay from tight ends coach to offensive coordinator last week, a move that represented a big promotion for the 27-year old assistant.

As it turns out, he won’t be taking on all the responsibilities typically associated with the coordinator job. During an interview with John Keim of ESPN.com, McVay described head coach Jay Gruden as the offensive coordinator who would call plays while McVay will fill his time with other responsibilities.

“It’ll be one of those deals where I help Jay wherever I need to fill in. I’ll coach quarterbacks this year too,” McVay said. “Jay will be the offensive coordinator and call the plays. But my job is to help as much as I can to implement the game plan. How involved I’ll be as far as install, we haven’t decided that yet. I want to give a bunch of ideas as if I’m putting the game plan together.”

While McVay served as a tight ends coach last year, his return and move to working with quarterbacks provides a link to what the team was doing with quarterback Robert Griffin III in his first two years. McVay’s also worked with Gruden in the past, which should make him well-suited to the task of helping Griffin bridge the gap between the two systems.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
21 Responses to “Sean McVay will coach quarterbacks while Jay Gruden calls plays”
  1. lks311 says: Jan 21, 2014 10:34 AM

This is going to end badly.

2. savocabol1 says: Jan 21, 2014 10:48 AM

The Redskins have a 27 year old offensive coordinator?

WOW.

3. bonniebengal says: Jan 21, 2014 10:51 AM

If Gruden is calling the plays, then RGIII will be throwing a lot more than he used to.

4. timbuttrum says: Jan 21, 2014 11:00 AM

So tired of the dysfunction of this franchise as a fan of over 30 years. The team finished 9th in offense last year and had the worst statistical defensive season in team history. What does Danny boy do? Hire an offensive coordinator and retain the same defensive coordinator. But it keeps getting better! Let’s elevate the 27 year old TE coach to offensive coordinator and let him teach the QB’s. Disaster season in the making.

5. PriorKnowledge says: Jan 21, 2014 11:00 AM

this is awesome!!!

6. redskinfansince82 says: Jan 21, 2014 11:07 AM

I like Gruden. I think he is just what the doctor ordered. He’s hungry and eager to prove himself. He has a great opportunity to start a new legacy that will last for years to come. I just hope he stocks the team with young talent to grow with RGIII but mix in some VETS. Sky is the limit now with the wicket witch out of town.

7. aprilwalker2013 says: Jan 21, 2014 11:16 AM

I wanted Shanahan to stay, thought he got the blame for things that wasn’t his fault! So now, he’s gone, they can’t blame him if this doesn’t go well..guess that’s why they get the big bucks not me!! Guess we gonna see how it goes! HTTR

8. bst3975 says: Jan 21, 2014 11:26 AM

He’s the “Offensive Coordinator” in the same sense that Bruce Allen is the “General Manager.”

9. 23rdusernameused says: Jan 21, 2014 11:29 AM

This won’t go well, I guarantee!
    4-12 is an improvement though, right redskin-potato fans!?!?

10. orakpocalypse says: Jan 21, 2014 11:34 AM

This is like the beginning of Moneyball when everybody was saying Jonah Hill was too young and his schemeing was too crazy. Mcvay is a genius and Gruden can clearly call plays. Offense will be set. Still not sure about the D but this offense will work.

11. onearmsteven says: Jan 21, 2014 11:48 AM

age is just a number people. guy was one of the most respected coaches in that locker room last year and respected around the league as a young up-and-comer…. josh mcdaniels was a young coordinator too and he was a stud in that role; he didn’t work out as a HC but that’s not what McVay is.

Plus he has family that has coached previously, and Gruden is still calling the plays.

12. bigjdve says: Jan 21, 2014 11:59 AM

This will work well for McVay. This will give him time to learn more about coaching/coordinating while being paid alot more, and not having the responsibility.

Whether it is good for the team, one would hope so, as hiring an offensive minded coach usually means that they will be calling the plays. They still have an OC, at least now someone will be getting experience.

With regard to the defense, it has been coming out more and more that Shanahan was meddling with the defense. We know that he was the driving factor for the change to 3-4, when he was hired he said himself that he decided on the scheme and that Haslett was against it.

Regarding Danny, he was blamed for everything when Shanny was making the decisions. Now he lets Allen make the decisions and he is still taking the blame. Do you honestly think that he would hire all of Allen’s cronies, or do you think that was Allen doing that.

If I was in his shoes, I know after that I would really be stepping in.

13. deshackle says: Jan 21, 2014 1:44 PM

Sean McVay ever play quarterback? This move lacks common sense.

14. dcstinks says: Jan 21, 2014 1:47 PM

This is getting better and better! Thanks Dan!

-Eagle Fan

15. deshackle says: Jan 21, 2014 10:31 PM

Redskins hired Ike Hilliard as wide receivers coach. Ike Hilliard played wide receiver in the NFL for 15 years.

What does Sean McVay have to offer RG3 as a QB coach?

16. hogdropalogonbigd says: Jan 22, 2014 2:20 AM

Anybody who predicts what’s going to happen here is full of it. As a skins fan, I’m obviously hoping this works out, but this is the first time in a long time I don’t know what to expect from this team. Gruden could be the next Belichik or the next Zorn. It’s likely he’s somewhere in the middle and our fortunes will rest on making good draft picks. Start with a offensive lineman or two, and add some defenders who can make tackles. Any team can go from worst to first these days, and considering our crappy division, we could easily be back at the top of it next year. Then again, the redskins have roped me in many times before, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re dead last.

Bottom line: I hate Dan Snyder and hope he burns in hell.

17. mainesrd says: Jan 22, 2014 2:22 PM

I see a lot of comments about how young McVay is. Albert Einstein was only 26 when he wrote the Theory of General Relativity. Who knows what this kid will do? He will certainly bring a fresh new approach to this team. The NFL needs to nurture new talent who can bring in fresh idea’s to the table. It’s what keeps defenses guessing. I’m excited about the upcoming season. Hopefully RGIII’s knee will be back to 100% and we can pick up some talent in the free agent market to fill some holes. HTTR!

18. skinsfan1991 says: Jan 22, 2014 3:22 PM

Deshackle just cause you keep asking if he everplayed qb

“That said, a tipster recently advised me to check out the Georgia Sports Writers Association selections for the all-state football team in 2003.

The AAAA offensive player of the year was a quarterback named Sean McVay, who would go on to become the Redskins’ offensive coordinator.

Among those he beat out was a 6-foot-5, 215-pound wide receiver named Calvin Johnson.”

19. skinsfan1991 says: Jan 22, 2014 3:22 PM

that’s from a article i read

20. cupquest says: Jan 24, 2014 12:59 PM

At first thought, I was like WTF, 27 years old? But after hearing Gruden will call the plays, I’m thinking that this may turn out all right.
    Here’s my rationale — Last couple of years I thought Kyle was a pretty decent play caller, but in terms of execution, the Skins sucked. I think the media makes so much to do about play calling by the OC, but really that’s just a fraction of their job. Some games it looked like the Skins had barely even practiced some of the plays that they were running — at least from RG3’s standpoint. You get a young OC who’s job it is to prepare the team for gamedays, get them practicing the playbook to perfection, and not worrying about trying to arrange gameplans and script plays, and we just might be on to something here.
    27 is kinda young though…

21. billco6192013 says: Jan 28, 2014 10:34 AM

too young and dumb ,will be another jim zorn and the de will get worse .same cord.Giants will rise again