Sherman speaks at length about “villian” and “thug” labels

Sherman AP

The man who first achieved widespread notice by getting in the face of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has reached a level of attention and notoriety that is rare in the sport of football — especially for someone who plays defense.  Not since William “Refrigerator” Perry has a guy who rarely touches the football experienced so much scrutiny and discussion and analysis.

But that’s the position Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman currently occupies.  We’ve already heard plenty from him, via a wave of one-on-one interviews, and we’ll be hearing even more as the Super Bowl approaches.  Earlier this week, defensive end Cliff Avril was asked during a visit to Pro Football Talk on NBCSN to identify the Seahawks player other than Sherman who’ll be talking the most; Avril laughed and said, “Probably just Richard.”

Based on Wednesday’s press conference, Richard likely will be saying some interesting, inspiring, and thought-provoking things.  He occupies for the next week-and-a-half an uncommon platform, and plenty of children will see him and hear him and learn about his background and acquire hope that they too can will their way to a better life.

“I really hope it resonates a little more with them because there are no limits to what you can do,” Sherman said Wednesday.  “I think regardless of how bizarre my story gets at times, especially in times like this, it’s still remarkable how a kid from Compton, a kid from humble beginnings, and the story can resonate from any kid coming from humble beginnings.  Whatever beginnings you come from just understand that your circumstances don’t dictate your future.  Your circumstances don’t control your limits.  You’re limitless, you’re a limitless person, you’re limitless by your faith, your abilities, your trust in yourself, your hard work, you can do as much as you want to do.  If you go to school and get good grades and work as hard as you can, if you don’t have the materials, the school books, the things like that, people can help you with that.  There will always be people out there that want to help kids like that, and I’m trying to help as many as I can.  But to not go out there and work as hard as you can and give yourself the best possible chance to be successful you’re doing yourself a disservice.  That’s really what I want the kids to know.”

It’s hard to paint a guy who has that specific agenda as a “villain” or a “thug,” but Star Wars wouldn’t have been nearly as popular without Darth Vader — and so as sports fans we’re always looking for circumstances that transcend the notion of team vs. team to become the timeless struggle of good vs. evil.

The best villains embrace the role.  Sherman doesn’t.

“I don’t think I’m a villain,” Sherman said.  “I always say the old cliché, don’t judge a book by its cover, but they’re judging a book by its cover, they’re judging me off of the football field, on the football during a game, right after a game, and they’re not judging me off of who I am.  Now if I had got arrested ten times, or committed all of these crimes, or got suspended for fighting off of the field and all of that, then I could accept being a villain, but I’ve done nothing villainous.”

He’s right.  Sherman’s only missteps have come when expressing himself in a way that, regardless of content, lacks the charisma of some of the men whose names he mentioned on Wednesday — Muhammad Ali, Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin.  Each said outlandish things in their day (and a couple of them still do).  But they delivered strong messages in a way that was charming and engaging; for Sherman, who studied communications at Stanford, that’s currently his biggest challenge.

The strongest message Sherman delivered on Wednesday comes from his interpretation of the term “thug,” a word that causes him during a new Beats commercial to turn away from a throng of reporters and put on the headphones he’s being paid to help sell.

“The only reason it bothers me is because it seems like it’s the accepted way of calling somebody the ‘N’ word nowadays,” Sherman said.  “It’s like everyone else says the ‘N’ word, and then they say ‘thug’ and they’re like, ‘Oh that’s fine.’ That’s where it kind of takes me back, and it’s kind of disappointing because they know.  What’s the definition of a thug really?  Can a guy on a football field just talking to people, maybe I’m talking loudly or doing something, talking like I’m not supposed to.  There was a hockey game where they didn’t even play hockey, they just threw their sticks aside and started fighting.  I saw that and said, ‘Ah, man I’m the thug. What’s going on here? Jeez.’ So I’m really disappointed in being called a thug.”

Sherman isn’t a thug; at times, however, he can come off as a bully.  That’s what Sherman’s brand of trash talk really is, whether it’s directed in hot blood to Michael Crabtree or the Vikings receivers, or in cold blood to Skip Bayless.

The problem for Sherman is that flashes of what seems to be bullying will overshadow the far more important example he’s trying to set for kids.  The other problem is that, as he inspires kids to overcome adversity, he’s also showing them that, once they do, it’s OK to shout at and belittle others who haven’t risen to the same level.

Like those of us far older than 25, Sherman is still a work in progress, capable of growing and changing and evolving.  He’ll likely learn as much about himself over the next 10 days as we learn about him.  In the end, maybe we’ll all be better off for the experience.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
27 Responses to “Sherman speaks at length about “villian” and “thug” labels”
  1. 69finfan says: Jan 23, 2014 8:35 AM

Good article Mike. I listened to his interview yesterday and I have to say my opinion of Mr. Sherman since the game Sunday is changing for the better.

2. riverhorsey says: Jan 23, 2014 8:55 AM

Sherman is the bully on the block. Just ask him.

3. negativten says: Jan 23, 2014 9:15 AM

Everybody is going to humbled.You either do it willingly,or God will do it for you.

4. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 23, 2014 9:48 AM

Yeah he really is all over the place with his statements and how he positions himself, it’s pretty confusing at this point. I liked it when he was his own man, but now that he is trying too hard to cater to how everybody wants him to be, that’s just not working. He was doing fine, all he did was call out Crabtree and say he is the best in that world, that has nothing to do with his teammates and was a personal battle between the two because of unusual things that happened in their history that should have been a story about how Crabtree got his medicine, not that the person prescribing his medicine is a villain.

5. 23rdusernameused says: Jan 23, 2014 9:52 AM

Peyton will hang a few on this Dbag next sun and then, finally, hopefully, he’ll shut up!!

6. GenXJay says: Jan 23, 2014 9:57 AM

Richard can make any excuse or claim to a complicated individual… or whatever.
    The fact remains that it is professional football. Not simply football. Professional. There are standards.
    Albeit, a double standard is made withholding from the media any comments (i.e. Lynch) .

7. doctorrustbelt says: Jan 23, 2014 9:57 AM

OCHOsherman

8. holla2626 says: Jan 23, 2014 10:04 AM

“they’re judging me off of the football field, on the football during a game, right after a game, and they’re not judging me off of who I am. ”

-RS

What? How did you judge Crabtree?

9. bbb82 says: Jan 23, 2014 10:07 AM

The last two paragraphs of this article hit the nail on the head.

10. riverhorsey says: Jan 23, 2014 10:10 AM

Sherman acts like one big flip flopper. Making up excuses for his choke signs and big mouth comments.

11. madpunter88 says: Jan 23, 2014 10:15 AM

thestrategyexpert, he is all over the place because what is written above is a compilation of answers to various questions. He had to respond to specific questions. Although I agree he ranges widely from the role of the victim to the “me just being me” argument.

Either way, I thought the press conference was extraordinarily impressive. He is a smart man. Buffoonish in his antics on the field, at times, but impressive off the field.

12. robgilman says: Jan 23, 2014 11:27 AM

Love this guy. And who cares if he takes attention away from his teammates? Sounds like a good strategy leasing up to the superbowl, let them focus in the game

13. iammrbinky says: Jan 23, 2014 12:42 PM

Richard Sherman is a very intelligent, hard working, ambitious and immature. In time, let’s hope he learns how to channel his success in a positive manner instead of belittling his obstacles.

14. watchdawg1103 says: Jan 23, 2014 1:00 PM

There are very few of us who have NOT talked trash at some point during a game. He came up with a huge play on a large stage to set his team up for the biggest game of the season. That was raw emotion what we saw. Maybe a little much, but that was a real sample of what probably happens all game long on the football field. I personally laughed when I heard it because as an athlete, I have been there. Hard to stay cool and humble in that situation, but I’m sure he learned from it now.

15. John Henson says: Jan 23, 2014 1:11 PM

Sherman’s words show the wisdom of Shakespeare who wrote, “give every man thine ear, but few thy voice.”

Keep your mouth closed, Richard. You’ll do better.

16. johnnyprc says: Jan 23, 2014 1:12 PM

If we put a mic on every NFL player before, during, and after each game for all to hear I think we would be shocked, and might find Sherman simply doesn’t put on another face to the media like so many other players do.

Not to mention he is still very young. People should be more understanding.

17. fumblenuts says: Jan 23, 2014 1:15 PM

Bottom Line: He is just a trash talker not the Anti Christ!

oh and BTW the “Best” CB in the NFL today.

18. therealbleedcoltsblue says: Jan 23, 2014 2:19 PM

Wait a minute.. did I miss a report that Crabtree thought he was being ‘BULLIED’ by Sherman?

#ActivateGoogleSearch

19. bwinsf says: Jan 23, 2014 3:00 PM

Has anyone bothered to ask what Crabtree was saying to him the entire game? It makes a big difference if Crabtree was in his face, like most professional atheletes will do, and Sherman was getting the last word in.

20. willnit says: Jan 23, 2014 3:46 PM

Heard the saying, “You only get one first impression”? Too little, too late.

21. goirishgo says: Jan 23, 2014 3:56 PM

Big Sherman fan here. He is a bright, hard working achiever and a heckuva football player. Yes, he’s immature and a little naive but he’s already shown the capacity to learn. His upside (in life) is huge.

22. geodude11 says: Jan 23, 2014 4:31 PM

He is a premadona and a chump in full reverse! A microphone attracts idiots.

23. doctorlb says: Jan 23, 2014 5:29 PM

[i]The other problem is that, as he inspires kids to overcome adversity, he’s also showing them that, once they do, it’s OK to shout at and belittle others who haven’t risen to the same level.[/i]
    This.
    Education does not equal knowledge, and certainly does not equal wisdom.
    Better to keep you mouth shut and be thought a fool then to open it and remove all doubt.

24. anygivensundayfan says: Jan 23, 2014 5:29 PM

After hearing the unprecedented vitriol toward Sherman in the media over the last few days, I appreciate this article acknowledging that there is more to him than meets the eye. I appreciate his candor and his teammates and Seahawk fans seem to love him, so that tells me a lot.

25. ichiganian says: Jan 23, 2014 8:47 PM

Sherman seems to have the presence of mind that would allow him to look back on the notorious interview in 10-15 years and feel embarrassed. At least I hope so, for his sake and his younger fans’.

26. p1nch3dloaf says: Jan 23, 2014 8:54 PM

I heard this all started because Crabtree wouldn’t shake Sherman’s hand at some charity event? Crabtree’s nothing but a big ‘Richard’.

27. patriotenvy says: Jan 24, 2014 7:33 AM

Hockey players that fight are goons. He is clueless. He reminds me of that big mouth boxer, and you will all know who I mean. That is what he is… a big mouth.