David Diehl announces his retirement

d17175ee2df831efb0b7abaafd974350 Getty Images

Word around the Giants since the end of the regular season has been that David Diehl would choose to retire after his 11th season and Diehl proved that there was fire behind that smoke on Friday.

Diehl announced through the Giants that he is calling an end to a career spent entirely with Big Blue. Diehl joined the team as a fifth-round pick in 2003 and started every game as a rookie on the way to 160 starts over the course of his Giants career. Diehl saw time at left tackle, right tackle, left guard and right guard over the course of his career and was a starter on both Giants Super Bowl winners in the Tom Coughlin era. Diehl reflected on that durability when asked about his proudest accomplishment.

“Obviously you can sit here and say the two Super Bowl victories. I think starting as many games as I did and playing as many games as I did,” Diehl said, via the team’s website. “To be able to sit here and say I tied Phil Simms for 12thall-time on the list [of most games played with the Giants], I mean that’s crazy. Like I’ve always said, I was a fifth-round draft pick, I was no silver spoon. I’m a guy who is accountable, a dependable guy. I believe that if you work hard enough and set your mind to something you can accomplish anything you want so for me, granted playing in the Pro Bowl and winning the Super Bowls and all of those things.”

Even if Diehl were returning in 2014, the Giants have work to do to upgrade on offensive line made up of banged-up veterans like Chris Snee and David Baas and younger players like Will Beatty and Justin Pugh that the team hopes can become the foundation of a line that’s far better than the one that struggled in all phases during the 2013 season. With Diehl gone, that need just becomes more pressing.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “David Diehl announces his retirement”
  1. thefootballgodssay says: Jan 24, 2014 3:41 PM

2 time WORLD CHAMP GO GIANTS

2. jpherling says: Jan 24, 2014 3:41 PM

There was no way Diehl was going to be a starter in 2014 (at least, from a logical point of view). His retirement opens some cap space for Reese to work with.

3. thefootballgodssay says: Jan 24, 2014 3:41 PM

go gmen

4. mrdry14 says: Jan 24, 2014 3:45 PM

He actually retired before last season, he just didn’t mention it to anyone.

5. deprado1 says: Jan 24, 2014 3:54 PM

Definitely a guy you could root for. Late round pick, not overly athletic but was always on the field with no complaints. Good Luck in retirement. Enjoy the 2 rings you earned.

6. godsmacked1 says: Jan 24, 2014 4:00 PM

Mr Versatility. Playing guard & tackle, not many guys can do that. He wasn’t the best at any one of them, but still better than most. And that fact the Eli never missed a game with him at left tackle says a lot about his skills.

7. dadeyemi says: Jan 24, 2014 4:04 PM

I’m happy for all of his contributions, but it was time. He’s been a team player his whole career, but he’s been flat out bad since 2011.

8. riggz91 says: Jan 24, 2014 4:18 PM

I think we all thought Reese was crazy when he let Luke Pettigut walk and said Diehl would be just as good at left tackle. Turned out to be a great move, 2 time super bowl champ starting left tackle, how many people could say that???

9. ssac3408 says: Jan 24, 2014 4:18 PM

Young players like Beatty? Dudes like 30 yrs old…

10. gpete1962 says: Jan 24, 2014 4:18 PM

Thanks for the memories Dave.

You’ve had a great career and two fantastic seasons. I’m glad your retiring a Giant.

From all Giant fans we wish you the best of luck
    and God bless

11. theseekeroffun says: Jan 24, 2014 4:20 PM

As a Cowboy Fan, I have great admiration for Diehl. He was the epitome of versatility.

12. themage78 says: Jan 24, 2014 4:21 PM

Diehl and Gilbride both “retired” to save face. Otherwise they were going to get shown the door. Great for the Giants for a long time, but they both proved to have outlived their usefulness.

13. jersey73 says: Jan 24, 2014 4:36 PM

Good player, smart fellow Illini, and been great when he’s been in the studio. I look for ESPN or NFL Network to hire him.

14. kev86 says: Jan 24, 2014 4:37 PM

True Blue! Once a Giant, Always a Giant.

15. brasscop says: Jan 24, 2014 5:46 PM

@ssac3408
    He said “younger” not young, DUDE! # Illini great.

16. mdrew75 says: Jan 24, 2014 5:53 PM

Great guy in the locker room. Durable, tough, and reliable on the field. Probably under-appreciated the last couple of years due to declining skills, but ultimately should and will be appreciated as an important contributor to 2 Super Bowl championships. If every 5th-round pick turned out to be as productive as David Diehl, GMs coaches, and fans would be very happy. Good luck in retirement, and thanks for all the hard work and memories.

17. pologroundsvet says: Jan 25, 2014 4:03 AM