Team Rice made slight favorite in Pro Bowl

Josh Gordon, Jerry Rice, Robert Quinn AP

By one measure, Jerry Rice has done his job well as a Pro Bowl captain.

According to multiple line-monitoring websites, the MGM sports books in Nevada have installed Team Rice as a 1.5-point favorite over Team Sanders (captained by Deion Sanders) in Sunday’s Pro Bowl, which airs at 7:30 p.m. Eastern on NBC.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees, Colts outside linebacker Robert Mathis, Eagles running back LeSean McCoy and Rams defensive end Robert Quinn are among Team Rice’s standouts.

The NFL held a two-day Pro Bowl draft on Tuesday and Wednesday. The league has done away with the by-conference all-star format for 2014. Instead, the teams led by Rice and Sanders picked players.

Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles, Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, Buccaneers cornerback Darrelle Revis and Texans defensive lineman J.J. Watt are among the members of Team Sanders.

Finally, there’s no lines for Team Mainland vs. Team Rice or Team Sanders of which we’re aware.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Team Rice made slight favorite in Pro Bowl”
  1. daysend564 says: Jan 24, 2014 12:02 PM

The team that tries will be the clear favorite

2. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Jan 24, 2014 12:04 PM

If you’re gambling on the Pro Bowl, it’s time to admit you have a problem.

3. joeflaccoallday says: Jan 24, 2014 12:21 PM

Cam in for Andrew Luck. Play-action to Jamaal. Gets washed out the pocket by Robert Quinn. Hits Dez in stride for 68-yard strike over Joe Haden. Touchdown.

4. The Shoeman says: Jan 24, 2014 12:39 PM

If you’re gambling ( or watching ) the Pro Bowl, it’s time to admit you have a problem.

5. mulletcork says: Jan 24, 2014 12:42 PM

This is almost as bad as betting on Rocky Balboa vs. Clubber Lang.

6. simplesimon1 says: Jan 24, 2014 1:01 PM

I absolutely 100% know how to make the ProBowl worth while. It actually wouldn’t take much.

First, leave it in Hawaii so the players actually have incentive to want to go there.

Next, make it worth something. For example, make the winning team give everybody in their division the chance for something really worth while. Here’s my idea:

The winning team gets entered in a lottery for pick #33 of the first round of the draft….Every team gets an equal shot at the choice, like the draft lottery in the NBA, only it’s one ball for each of the 16 teams in the conference.

Then, to make sure the losing team of the ProBowl still plays as well, give them the same idea but make it a 5th rounder.

Not only would this make the ProBowl better, it’d keep people watching the draft right until the end of the round as well.

It’s win/win.

7. JSpicoli says: Jan 24, 2014 1:21 PM

I’ll be rearranging my sock drawer instead of watching.

Pro Bore.

8. bugorfeature says: Jan 24, 2014 1:38 PM

There’s still an NFL Pro Bowl? How quaint.

9. kd75 says: Jan 24, 2014 1:49 PM

I’ll take the Over.

10. nflrule says: Jan 24, 2014 2:06 PM

The Pro Bowl is as embarrassing as the NFL Network.Unwatchable!!!

11. atwatercrushesokoye says: Jan 24, 2014 2:13 PM

Sadly there’s somebody out there betting couple of hundred G’s on it…

12. iloveagoodnap says: Jan 24, 2014 2:31 PM

I thought I had a little bit of a gambling problem when I used to bet on the NBA.

If I ever bet on the probowl I’d throw myself an intervention.

13. shayeezy says: Jan 24, 2014 2:34 PM

it’s hilarious to me how much time so many spend talking about how they won’t be watching the pro bowl. we get it, it’s not a serious contest and it doesn’t interest you. no one cares.

14. johnnycantread says: Jan 24, 2014 8:04 PM

I think the NFL should keep everything about the Pro Bowl the same as it’s always been: Fan voting… Players elected get bonus money and a free trip to Hawaii.
    Keep everything the same, except for one small change:
    Don’t bother playing the game.