Jersey native Mike Adams says he’ll walk home in uniform if Broncos win

7aae5e94227661d79a874dc0762a4532 Getty Images

No one will be allowed to walk to Super Bowl XLVIII, but one member of the Broncos is hoping to walk home from the game in his uniform.

Broncos safety Mike Adams is from Paterson, New Jersey, which is about 12 miles away from MetLife Stadium. New Jersey’s highways are not known as a safe place to take a late evening stroll, but Adams said that he’d like to walk to Paterson in his helmet and shoulder pads if the Broncos are victorious next Sunday.

“If we win the Super Bowl, I’m going to keep my helmet and pads on and I’m walking home,” Adams said, via Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post. “After I get to the IHOP on Route 3, I’ll start hitchhiking. But they’d probably think I’m just some crazy person.”

It would be a triumphant walk for Adams, who made the NFL as an undrafted free agent and has built a 10-year career after getting his start in a city he described as “almost like a cancer” because negativity of negativity that “can be like a snowball rolling downhill.”

Two of Adams’ teammates — defensive end Robert Ayers and running back Knowshon Moreno — are also Jersey boys, but there’s no sign that they plan to join Adams on a walking tour of the Garden State should the Broncos win the Super Bowl.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Jersey native Mike Adams says he’ll walk home in uniform if Broncos win”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 26, 2014 12:53 PM

If they get tired from walking they can just order an Uber ride.

2. John Zunski says: Jan 26, 2014 12:54 PM

Awesome! Another reason to root for the Broncos!

3. gibbyfan says: Jan 26, 2014 12:59 PM

I know the area—that walk will be far more dangerous than anything he will confront on the field

4. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 26, 2014 1:02 PM

He’ll be walking home in the rain/sleet dejected from the loss.

5. thevikesarebest says: Jan 26, 2014 1:02 PM

The Vikings are the best.

6. slbasegame257 says: Jan 26, 2014 1:05 PM

He’ll be to beat up to walk home after Beast Mode runs right over him. GO HAWKS

7. blackqbwhiterb says: Jan 26, 2014 1:19 PM

He’ll be lucky if he makes that walk without getting mugged/stabbed/shot….. But hey, if he’s from Paterson, he knows it…..Knowshon Moreno’s a jersey kid too, went to Middletown South… Lot safer than Paterson!

8. wwwmattcom says: Jan 26, 2014 1:23 PM

Time to buy a new crib if you have a place to go in Paterson…

9. doe22us says: Jan 26, 2014 1:27 PM

More refreshing than a ridiculous dance in my opinion, anyhow hope they pull through. None of that ridiculous go hawks signage for another year at least.

10. johninthewest says: Jan 26, 2014 1:33 PM

I do notice that the Denver players give a lot of credit to the Seattle players. Funny it is not the same with Seattle. #stayclassyseattle.

11. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 26, 2014 1:36 PM

Yeah, Belmar isn’t exactly the hood ha.

12. purplengold says: Jan 26, 2014 1:39 PM

Be careful what you wish for…

13. yordo says: Jan 26, 2014 1:44 PM

Hopefully he’ll have an intoxicated entourage.

14. 1historian says: Jan 26, 2014 1:59 PM

He’ll have an escort every step of the way and if they win dollars to donuts that the IHOP stays open for him and gets TONS of free publicity for it. If they don’t they should have their heads examined.

Good story – Go Broncos.

FYI – I am a Patriots’ fan.

15. trollhammer20 says: Jan 26, 2014 2:19 PM

At least he’d be easy for motorists to spot, dressed like a giant traffic cone and all…

16. nflr92 says: Jan 26, 2014 2:20 PM

As cool as the varsity players wearing their jerseys to school on Friday………not so much.

17. mymanning18thegreatestever says: Jan 26, 2014 2:27 PM

HERE WE GO BRONCOS, HERE WE GO!!! LETS GO MY MANning, & Denver!!! ***ABSOLUTLY CAN’T*** wait to see MY MANning & MY BRONCOS hold up the Lombardi Trophy!!! :)

18. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 26, 2014 2:32 PM

The warning bells should have gone off for Mike when the bus painted green and grey pulled over to pick him up. But he was tired and cold and his feet were wet….

19. toeknee2toes says: Jan 26, 2014 2:32 PM

I am sure his town wouldn’t support him and walk it with him or drive with him. His town will be throwing a parade for him.

20. howiefeltersnatch says: Jan 26, 2014 2:37 PM

Mike Adams is a good guy, he spent a few years in Cleveland. I hope he walks through Cleveland on his way home so I can say thanks for his efforts.

21. howiefeltersnatch says: Jan 26, 2014 2:40 PM

^ Lol I thought the Superbowl was out west or something. I forgot it was like right around the corner from his house…

22. 4allintensivepurposes says: Jan 26, 2014 2:46 PM

The safety vest orange should help him from accidentally getting ran over.

23. officialgame says: Jan 26, 2014 2:46 PM

Might think about running.

24. justsomerandomguy24 says: Jan 26, 2014 2:50 PM

If you have been in the league for 10 years, why are your parents still living in a rough neighborhoods?!?

25. seatownballers says: Jan 26, 2014 2:57 PM

And if the hawks win? Seattle will purchase you a limousine for a safe ride home. This isn’t the eighties. Don’t hitch hike

26. rajbais says: Jan 26, 2014 3:05 PM

To his Jersey home, sure.

27. thetooloftools says: Jan 26, 2014 3:09 PM

This is a great story. I would follow this BIG TIME if I was involved with Fox Sports 1. See if he backs it up. Think think think. This would be must see tv.

28. ajm323 says: Jan 26, 2014 3:10 PM

NJ ALL DAY!

29. SparkyGump says: Jan 26, 2014 3:11 PM

Just stay off the exit for the George Washington bridge and he’ll be fine.

30. keltictim says: Jan 26, 2014 3:12 PM

My distaste for the Seahawks is epic. Pete Carroll did everything he could to destroy the patriots during his Pom Pom waving tenure there, the ridiculous amount of failed drug tests, Richard Sherman, the completely obnoxious twelfth man, and Paul Allen. The one bright spot is Russell Wilson, he seems to be the genuine article and a good kid. My disdain for the broncos is not quite as bad. Jake Plummer broke my heart taking the pats out in the playoffs all those years ago, The receiver #83, multiple failed drug tests, I don’t hate Peyton but the constant ads are beyond annoying, and bronco fans. So since I clearly have no desire for either team to win my guess is the Seahawks drug addled defense is going to be to much to over come. I do think a future drug policy that says after a team fails X amount of tests they forfeit any rights to the play offs. That would go a long way to cleaning the game up and put more if a onus on the clean players to self police the game if they too have something to lose

31. denverdave3 says: Jan 26, 2014 3:16 PM

I can hear Bowlen, now.

“This one’s for Mike.”

32. lanman11 says: Jan 26, 2014 3:17 PM

Is his high school team on the East side of Patterson? Are they still called the Patterson East Side Ghost? I remember going there in the early 70’s for a football game with my Dad. They had a wild high school band that basically free styled dance moves while they played out on the field. I think their colors were Orange and Black. If Denver is wearing home jerseys he’ll be right at home.

33. bbrophy1 says: Jan 26, 2014 3:24 PM

as someone who knows the area, all i can say is he will cover 12 miles on foot faster than people who drive to this super bowl. there’s a reason they are trying to hype it as the mass transit super bowl.

34. johninthewest says: Jan 26, 2014 3:28 PM

This just in, The NFL is conducting a PED and drug test as soon a the Seahawks step off the plane in NJ at 3:30 est this afternoon. The team will busy rotating their back ups in starting positions first thing on Monday morning.

35. unitasftw says: Jan 26, 2014 3:33 PM

You might get shot by a raiders fan

36. seabronco says: Jan 26, 2014 3:35 PM

I’ll walk with you!

37. realitycheckbaby says: Jan 26, 2014 3:35 PM

Seahawks have one more PED suspension than the Broncos and less than the Redskins FYI.

38. dycenyne says: Jan 26, 2014 3:47 PM

He better wear his helmet and pads if he’s walking through Paterson.

39. seahawkempire says: Jan 26, 2014 3:56 PM

The Hawks are gonna save him the trouble of following his own bad instincts. No reason to get beat up twice in the same day! (tho the beating the Hawks will give him is far worse than anything he get in the neighborhood)

40. rublestiltzkin says: Jan 26, 2014 3:57 PM

Better call and arrange a can now

41. steelbreeze676 says: Jan 26, 2014 4:01 PM

I’m no Broncos fan, but I still think this would be awesome.

42. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Jan 26, 2014 4:56 PM

I’ve driven the area more times than I care to remember & its hairy to go through even if you are in a car!! Crazy fend for yourself driving! The Wild West of roadways lets just say. That’s a pretty long walk anyway. I wonder if he thought this through fully? He better get an escort so he’s not mugged for his uniform or run over by some drunk. Would be pretty tragic to win the Super Bowl then get beat up, run over or killed…. I’m not totally pessimistic about it as I do kinda like it in a Forest Gump kinda way….. Before I read where he was from I thought he was saying that he would walk back to Colorado….. Now that would be cool!!

43. ratsfoiledagain says: Jan 26, 2014 5:19 PM

If the ponies win I wonder if it will be ‘A Long Hard Walk’

– Dewey Cox

44. hurricanerich17 says: Jan 26, 2014 5:25 PM

And if the broncos lose he should walk all the way back to denver

45. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 26, 2014 5:43 PM

“Hey Mike, lose the game or you’ll have to walk home.”.

46. briguy5 says: Jan 26, 2014 6:36 PM

It’s a cute idea but he should’ve kept it to himself because now, if it happens, it will just be him leading a media circus down the road and there will be hundreds of people lined up for the right to drive him home.

47. leatherface2012 says: Jan 26, 2014 6:40 PM

so…… the packers arent playing? oh yeah they played one more games than the texans

48. kwjsb says: Jan 26, 2014 6:52 PM

I love when former Browns make it to the Superbowl on another team after GM’s think they are not good enough for the Browns.

49. mancave001 says: Jan 26, 2014 8:54 PM

I think he should make a bet with Sherman. Loser walks to Newark airport. And you thought Compton was bad? #MurderCapitalOfTheNortheast

50. beastmode5150 says: Jan 26, 2014 9:10 PM

those of you saying the Hawks players aren’t respecting the Denver players, you must be watching different interviews on NFL network than I am. All kudos, and they are thick. Stop the hate.

51. epack13sb says: Jan 26, 2014 10:11 PM

Make sure to check for bridge closures… signed, Chris Christie

52. damnskins703 says: Jan 26, 2014 10:31 PM

Stupidest thing I’ve read all day if they win the Super Bowl why the hell would he go home? You go out to celebrate and why walk home in the freezing cold when you can drive a car with heat? Why are these pro players so stupid nowadays doesn’t make any sense.

53. seaeagle707 says: Jan 27, 2014 3:50 AM

C’mon Seattle. Let’s do the poor guy a favor and make sure he takes a plane home and possibly save his life.

GO HAWKS!!!

54. goldrush94 says: Jan 27, 2014 3:52 AM

Uh.. if he’s from Patterson, he should know better than to walk that path.

55. goldrush94 says: Jan 27, 2014 3:55 AM

.. but I’d be more worried if it were in Florida.

56. gb4mn0 says: Jan 27, 2014 8:11 AM

Nice story that shows a side of Adams that makes you want him to get the chance to walk home but the Hawks are on a mission to destroy Denver just to embarrass all the smarmy, smug minnysoda lavender Larry toads.

57. nodindenver says: Jan 27, 2014 8:19 AM

I think it is great idea for a home town guy that has put in ten solid years to even think about doing such a thing. I am sure he would have a bunch of fellow Jersey folks to help him get there safely for all the naysayers. The guy is a has worked hard to get to this point and there is no doubt that he would do it! Go big Mike and Go Broncos.

58. speciallady215 says: Jan 27, 2014 11:10 AM

There’s something about overcoming and beating the odds that are stacked against you. There’s something about pushing past the negativity and the naysayers. There’s something about achieving goals thought of as being surmountable. There’s something about breaking barriers. There’s something about Mike “Pops” Adams #20 of the Denver Broncos. Understand that walk home is not for show but rather for pride. His pride in being who he is and his pride in showing the youths of Paterson as well as other youths that they can make it despite the odds that they can be successful and soar above and beyond with time, diligence and hard work! We are rooting for you and the Broncos all the way! Salute!

59. alboraison says: Jan 27, 2014 3:43 PM

Not to be negative…. but

If I had to walk 12 miles anywhere in NJ, I’d probably want a helmet, cup and shoulder pads, too. It’s just common sense.