Peyton Manning: “I certainly want to continue to keep playing”

Super Bowl Football AP

For the first time all Super Bowl week — and surely not the last time — Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning was asked Sunday about his future beyond the upcoming NFL title game against the Seahawks.

Manning smiled as he was asked if he had considered whether Super Bowl XLVIII could be the end of the line for him — and whether a victory would be an ideal way to go out on top.

Here was Manning’s response:

“Well, I know there’s a number of players that have walked away as champions, and I’m sure that’s a great feeling for those people. John Elway, Ray Lewis did it last year, Michael Strahan.

“In talking to Ray Lewis and in talking to John Elway, they couldn’t play anymore. That was all they had to give. They truly left it all out there.

“I certainly had a career change two years ago with my injury, with changing teams, and so I truly have been kind of a one-year-at-a-time basis. So I really have no plans beyond this game, had no plans coming into this season beyond this year. I think that’s the healthy way to approach kind of your career at this stage.

“I still enjoy playing football. I feel a little better than I thought I would at this point coming off that surgery. I still enjoy the preparation part of it, the work part of it. Everybody enjoys the games, everybody’s going to be excited to play in a Super Bowl, but I think when you still enjoy the preparation and the work part of it, I think you probably still ought to be doing that.

“I think as soon as I stop enjoying it, if I can’t produce, if I can’t help the team, that’s when I’ll stop playing. If that’s next year, maybe it is. But I certainly want to continue to keep playing.”

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
39 Responses to “Peyton Manning: “I certainly want to continue to keep playing””
  1. winninaintsinnin says: Jan 26, 2014 5:57 PM

Good.

Hate for him to go out a SB loser.

2. jakec4 says: Jan 26, 2014 5:58 PM

Guy is a class act. I could never root for him because of the way he carved up my team every time they played him, but the NFL will be losing the epitome of how to do everything right when he retires.

3. willking9 says: Jan 26, 2014 6:01 PM

Michael Strahan finished his career with class and went out like a total boss. The fact that he wasn’t a first ballot Hall of Famer is ridiculous.

4. alskdh says: Jan 26, 2014 6:01 PM

Sorry,
    He’s out this year against Seattle, then out next year with a Gronk-full New England team..

5. chris6523 says: Jan 26, 2014 6:01 PM

I’m sure somewhere there will be a media outlet that writes a headline “Manning vague about plans for next season” base on these quotes from Manning.

6. winninaintsinnin says: Jan 26, 2014 6:02 PM

Hope he ends the game upright but I’m afraid he won’t.

7. oreo51 says: Jan 26, 2014 6:03 PM

He cannot avoid the rush and his ball has a lot of wobble on it these days. He is still plenty accurate and is a master at reading defenses. His contract takes a big jump in 2015 so I give him one more season before he hangs up his cleats for good.

8. doe22us says: Jan 26, 2014 6:03 PM

Who leaves $20m on the table??? Dude is still playing at a high level so why would he just walk away.

9. citizenstrange says: Jan 26, 2014 6:10 PM

It will be a sad, sad day for the NFL when Manning retires. And I have seen some great ones retire.

10. TheOtherGlazer says: Jan 26, 2014 6:12 PM

Peyton is going to play until he’s 54 years old

11. ravenswhat says: Jan 26, 2014 6:13 PM

Take note ray Lewis haters, he is Peyton’s council. I know that burns.

12. gloryfromheaven46 says: Jan 26, 2014 6:15 PM

I think it’s interesting that he didn’t “guarantee” coming back next year, but you could tell if he does come back next year it’ll most likely be his last.

13. buccaboo says: Jan 26, 2014 6:18 PM

I hope he doesn’t retire yet. I am not done watching his majic yet. Unlike any other player ever!

14. dodohead418 says: Jan 26, 2014 6:23 PM

His quick release will prolong his career too!

15. lovelacebk says: Jan 26, 2014 6:32 PM

Whether you love him or hate him, you have to admit, the game is not and will not be the same without him, as seen a couple years ago. I hope he can play 10 more years, retire as a Colt and as a Bronco. He is an icon and a living legend. He changed the game of football as we know it today. Here’s to the Broncos winning on Sunday. LONG LIVE AND PLAY PEYTON F. MANNING!

16. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Jan 26, 2014 6:37 PM

He just had the best year of all time at QB and somebody asked him if he was going to retire. What???

17. endzone says: Jan 26, 2014 6:38 PM

He is The Man.

18. stevew5 says: Jan 26, 2014 6:48 PM

My son lives and works in Denver. September 5th I flew in from Tulsa and surprised him with two nice seats for the opening game of the season. Seven touchdowns, and a storm delay later, I’d say it was well worth those Stub Hub prices. No reason to stop now. Be careful, and good luck.

19. bowdowntopeyton says: Jan 26, 2014 6:57 PM

The rest of the league has to be petrified thinking about Peyton suiting up and playing out the next three years of his contract.

20. keepingitrealdumb says: Jan 26, 2014 7:14 PM

really good QB .. just a really really good QB. i love the way he plays the position. he is not athletic, doesn’t move, is very slow, does not have a strong arm, doesn’t throw the tight spiral, and is OLD.

but look at what he can do .. studies the defenses, changes plays at the line to counter what the D is doing, make quick decisions, is able to process a ton of information quickly, and is accurate enough.

that is why he is still playing at such a high level at his ago. you will never see QBs that rely just on athleticism play at this level into their mid 30s and early 40s. when the body slows down .. all you’ve got is your experience and your mind. and look what manning is doing with his.

21. ravens4fr says: Jan 26, 2014 7:17 PM

Peyton Manning: Class Act; Uber-Competitor; Winner; Gentleman….there are not enough positive adjectives to describe this individual!!

22. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Jan 26, 2014 7:26 PM

GOAT

23. jlmd17 says: Jan 26, 2014 7:44 PM

Best QB ever. Most accurate too – deep balls included. Sure his arm isn’t what it was but it is still plenty good to do the job. He will retire with every record that matters – kinda like Gretzky. And this new breed of QB that runs around and is lucky to get 200 yds passing a game will never catch him.

24. dfwhawkguy says: Jan 26, 2014 8:01 PM

Be interesting to see if his tune changes after half a dozen bone-crushing sacks, a handful of picks and a 4 TD loss next Sunday.

25. russellwilsonismymvp says: Jan 26, 2014 8:03 PM

One of the greatest players of all time. The guy is a legend amongst legends. Seahawks have their hands full on defense this week.

26. thealmightybigblue says: Jan 26, 2014 8:03 PM

Mr manning wants his 2nd SB ring.we here in bigblue nation would be glad to cheer him on.#thebestqbever#Manningsgetrings

27. Frazier28/7 says: Jan 26, 2014 8:19 PM

Too bad this game is on Fox, because if Denver wins the first thing Joe Buck will say is how Manning did something Brett Favre never did, win a Super Bowl with two different teams. Joe Buck is a tool.

28. frostymugobeer says: Jan 26, 2014 8:29 PM

translation…..Elway and I have a bet…..20 bucks says I retire with a “3peat”
    if I ony go back 2 back he gets a large pizza…..unlimited toppings !

29. cursedvikings1998 says: Jan 26, 2014 9:07 PM

Translation:

If I win, I retire.

If I lose, I come back next year.

The end.

30. bigdaddy44 says: Jan 26, 2014 9:30 PM

Let’s see, 1) risk permanent injury to his neck or 2) smoke dope legally while drinking all the free Bud Light and eating all the free Papa John’s pizza you want. Hmmm, I think I would……

31. juliusanonymous says: Jan 26, 2014 9:36 PM

Greatest choker of all time. Been to playoffs 11 times, only won one Superbowl. What a joke. Tom Brady laughs at everyone who calls Mr 5-head the greatest ever.

32. aldante66 says: Jan 26, 2014 9:42 PM

He’s playing for the records. Just the records.

33. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 26, 2014 9:43 PM

You can tell Peyton is getting older. He got confused and thought he was going to the Pro Bowl again, so he wore a ridiculous brightly colored scarf around his neck.

34. thegreatgabbert says: Jan 26, 2014 9:44 PM

Broncos’ P.R. guys had to get clearance from the team doctors before they were allowed to hang that scarf on Peyton’s neck.

35. backdapack4evr says: Jan 26, 2014 10:08 PM

What’s with the scarf???

36. poesports says: Jan 26, 2014 10:40 PM

The Broncos and their fans should be just as terrified if he doesn’t play out his contract.

37. shuttaman1990 says: Jan 26, 2014 10:48 PM

For the love of god, GET OUT OF THE AFC WEST!

Raiders all day.

38. thisisme2828 says: Jan 27, 2014 12:05 AM

I’d rather go out in top than go out in the gutter like 90% of all players.

39. lolo376 says: Jan 27, 2014 10:31 AM

I think he’ll retire regardless, if he wins he can leave on top, but if he loses he’ll take a lot of criticism for only being good in the regular season