Dave Gettleman will get angry to defend patient approach

Ron Rivera, Dave Gettleman AP

The Panthers are about to offer coach Ron Rivera an extension, but there were a lot of people who weren’t sure he was going to make it through the year.

But first-year Panthers General Manager Dave Gettleman emphatically denied a report from early in the year that said he was lining up potential replacements, after the Panthers got off to a 1-3 start (after twin 2-8 starts in each of Rivera’s first two years).

Asked by Jonathan Jones of the Charlotte Observer the toughest part of his rookie year, Gettleman said that incident was it, calling the story totally inaccurate.

“When that story came out. The thing that [ticked] me off the most? When that story came out in Week 6 that we were [vetting future coaching candidates]. Man was I [ticked]. I was furious. Furious,” Gettleman said. “Not even remotely close. That was one of those things, I mean that really [ticked] me off. Because I don’t operate that way. Because what you’re doing is, someone reporting that is questioning my integrity. So they’re questioning my integrity and, you know, give Ron a chance.

“We live in such an instant-gratification society, it’s ridiculous. It is totally ridiculous. Nobody has any patience anymore. Everybody wants to be rewarded for getting up and breathing. It’s silly. That isn’t the way it is. . . . It wasn’t right. And it wasn’t fair. And you’ll find out in time, a lot of me is about being fair.”

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Dave Gettleman will get angry to defend patient approach”
  1. orivar says: Jan 27, 2014 8:43 AM

“We live in such an instant-gratification society”

He ain’t lying there. It’s poisonous at that, I find myself thinking that way time to time and have to reel back.

2. redeemerac says: Jan 27, 2014 9:03 AM

I admit, when we were 1-3 I wanted the Panthers to make a change, glad Gettleman stuck it out, hopefully Riverboat Ron can keep it going.

3. qdog112 says: Jan 27, 2014 9:30 AM

“Gettleman has taken a patient approach to his new job. He’s retained all the existing coaches and personnel staff, and their 12-4 record indicates that might not have been a mistake.”
    **********************************
    Gettleman had nothing to do with retaining the staff. That was Jerry Richardson’s decision, aho as owner simply didn’t wanna fire Rivera and still have to pay him. Gettleman is taking credit for something which he had no control over.

The jury is still out on him. He’s made a couple move to solve the cap issues, but really has a problem dealing with the media, as evidenced by his famous, “pregnant pause”. Also in the Charlotte Observer article, where he uses the term “tick me off” multiple times.

For a man who sat around the Giants front office until they kicked him out, he should learn to tone down his rhetoric and give Rivera and the players the credit for what he inherited.

4. finleye says: Jan 27, 2014 4:06 PM

“Everybody wants to be rewarded for getting up and breathing. It’s silly.”

5. jgedgar70 says: Jan 28, 2014 12:17 PM

“Nobody has any patience anymore. Everybody wants to be rewarded for getting up and breathing.”

There will never be a more accurate description of 21st century society for the rest of the 21st century.

6. jgedgar70 says: Jan 28, 2014 12:26 PM

qdog112 says:
    Jan 27, 2014 9:30 AM

_____
    Gettleman never said anything about making a decision to retain the staff. He simply states that the report that he was already vetting candidates was false, that he never took that step. I’m sure he knows he has issues with the media, hence the fact that he’s only spoken publicly 4 times in the year since he’s been hired. And his hesitation about Cam was the same thing everyone else was saying (stats are nice, but wins are more important).

And he’s done extremely well with the roster. Just about everyone he added has contributed (Hixon might have been a bust until he made some big catches late in the year).

Overall, he’s a 100% improvement over the newspaper writer he replaced.