Jamaal Charles didn’t expect big Pro Bowl hit from Derrick Johnson

788469aed77782e36a70e499d4fdfc53 Getty Images

On Monday morning, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell saluted the players taking part in the Pro Bowl for playing “much harder” than in recent years.

One sign that the players were putting a little more into the contest came when linebacker Derrick Johnson, playing for Team Rice, nailed his Chiefs teammate Jamaal Charles with a hard tackle during the game. Charles said after the game that he wasn’t expecting to take a shot from his teammate, but that he had no complaints about it.

“I didn’t expect it, but he’s out there doing his thing,” Charles said, via the Associated Press. “I can’t get mad at him — it’s just about football, and you’ve just got to be ready.”

The Chiefs might not have been thrilled to see one of their own players hit their star back a couple of weeks after suffering a concussion against the Colts in the playoffs, but it was exactly the kind of thing the league was hoping to see when they went with a draft for teams this year rather than the usual conference format.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Jamaal Charles didn’t expect big Pro Bowl hit from Derrick Johnson”
  1. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jan 27, 2014 1:19 PM

Yet, Roger Goodell levies all these heavy-handed fines on players purely because he’s overwhelmingly concerned about player safety.

2. thepftpoet says: Jan 27, 2014 1:20 PM

Adrian Peterson would have made Derrick Johnson fall over.

It’s hillarious how Jamaal Charles sat out a playoff game but decided the play in the probowl.

Soft RB.

3. thebirdofprey2 says: Jan 27, 2014 1:23 PM

Adrian Peterson can’t even stay healthy enough to play in the Pro Bowl.

He is too worn down from carrying that pile of trash franchise on his back year after year.

4. slaugin says: Jan 27, 2014 1:43 PM

NFL protocol kept him out of game

5. granadafan says: Jan 27, 2014 1:48 PM

This is why the Pro Bowl has been a joke the last 15 years or so. No one wants to be hit or hit. When someone does, the players are shocked.

Just make the game flag football so no one has to risk the hits.

6. nykfanwakemeupin2015 says: Jan 27, 2014 1:50 PM

I will admit it was better then years past but I also let my fiancee switch to the Grammys whenever she wanted.

So I guess its not fixed if I willing let myself listen to Katie Perry then watch the football

7. jwhitejagsquad says: Jan 27, 2014 1:57 PM

On a lighter note: how much are they paying Arnold to do those bud light ping pong commercials that aired during the game?

8. robf2010 says: Jan 27, 2014 2:00 PM

“Just make the game flag football so no one has to risk the hits.”

Robert Edwards blew his knee out playing flag football. Go for touch.

The game is here to stay as long as people watch it and it generates money. I don’t want to see any of my guys get hurt so I don’t watch. I’d rather they didn’t play at all but ALL OF YOU KEEP WATCHING. :)

9. akboot says: Jan 27, 2014 3:20 PM

Stupid, stupid, stupid, game.

10. 13datsyuk13 says: Jan 27, 2014 7:05 PM

Both were Texas Longhorns!

11. 4thqtrsaint says: Jan 27, 2014 8:09 PM

Lipstick doesn’t make a pig look better. Beer does.

12. raptorfa says: Jan 29, 2014 3:42 PM

Surprised him? Surprised me too! It was a good hit in the hole, though. Kinda set the tone for the rest of the game. I actually liked the game this year. I hope they retain the format. I think the players felt more engaged in this one. I dunno, worked for me!