Michael Robinson AP

The tears flowed freely following Seattle’s NFC Championship victory over the San Francisco 49ers, but Seahawks fullback Michael Robinson was nothing but smiles during Tuesday’s media session at the team’s hotel in Jersey City, N.J.

For someone who was suffering kidney failure and liver failure due to a reaction to prescription medication during training camp, it’s been quite the path to the Super Bowl this season for the eight-year veteran.

“I had a long year being cut, being sick, not really realizing the extent of the sickness,” Robinson said.”I didn’t know that my kidneys were failing and my liver was failing. I had no idea. I just thought I was getting a bug.”

Robinson had an adverse reaction to the anti-inflammatory “Indocin” and found himself in the hospital three times late in the preseason as doctors struggled to figure out what was wrong. He initially felt sick during Seattle’s preseason meeting with the Denver Broncos in August. He dropped 30 pounds in the process and was released by the Seahawks in favor of healthy, younger options in Derrick Coleman and Spencer Ware.

Once the problem was diagnosed, Robinson began to slowly recover. He did some guest hosting on the NFL Network and other media opportunities while waiting for another chance to return the league.

The New York Giants and Tennessee Titans both made overtures to Robinson but he elected not to pursue those options.

“It just didn’t feel right,” Robinson said. “The situations didn’t feel right. I wasn’t all the way back yet and I just wanted to make sure I was right when I got back with a team.”

Robinson hoped he could find his way back to Seattle. That opportunity presented after both Ware and Coleman went down with injuries mid-season. The Seahawks got back in contact and brought Robinson back to Seattle.

“I’m glad I’m here now,” Robinson said. “I’ve got my weight back, got my strength back, and it was an opportunity to come back here and I’m glad it opened up.”

For Robinson, his patience paid off and it made the end result that much sweeter.

“Absolutely man. We’re here. The Seahawks are in the Super Bowl,” Robinson said.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
10 Responses to “Michael Robinson enjoying Super Bowl experience after health scare in training camp”
  1. ttommytom says: Jan 27, 2014 11:49 PM

I’ve been down the liver/kidney failure route and it is without question…I mean WITHOUT QUESTION, the worst physical experience of my life.

Like that 2 minute drunk spins before you barf but for 24 hours. Anyone who dies from poisoning died in a bad way. Because he was poisoned as was I.

Hats off as you really would sign off to get out of it. Only thing worse than death is torture and that was torture…

2. anicra says: Jan 28, 2014 12:19 AM

Mike Rob is a true team guy. The thankless job of FB and does it with pride. Plus the Real Rob Report has been awesome over the years.

3. hess97 says: Jan 28, 2014 1:47 AM

Dirty, dirty player.

Watch for the broncos to pay him back for the preseason hit to D. Wolfe’s neck while he was laying on facedown already.

4. nineball26 says: Jan 28, 2014 1:50 AM

first i heard Rob had gotten sick, glad he came back, he is the eyes and ears of the Beast!!!

5. sundaybutter says: Jan 28, 2014 1:53 AM

Mike Rob a great football player and team leader. Glad to have you back healthy with the team!

6. seahawksbmx says: Jan 28, 2014 2:04 AM

Players and fans alike know the NFL can be a cut-throat business, but nearly every Seahawk fan was crushed when M-Rob was released. I didn’t know until he was brought back just how serious his illness was. He’s a true leader in the locker room and a true leader on the field, delivering punishing blocks. It’s no coincidence that Beast Mode was reactivated after Michael Robinson returned.

7. pabrownsfan says: Jan 28, 2014 7:18 AM

I have followed him since he was in college. He went from quarterback in school to fullback in the pros. Great all around athlete. If you haven’t seen his web show the real rob report its worth your time.

8. jayhawk6 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:57 AM

A few years back, at least one NBA player required a kidney transplant because the medicine he was taking for pain relief basically was liquefying his organs.

That should be notice enough to those in charge that Big Pharma is failing and that herbal pain relief–in whatever form–should be allowed to take its place in line.

9. cruuuzcontrol says: Jan 28, 2014 10:35 AM

Noooooo! Why’d you say no to the Giants, MRob??? I know it turned out right for him and the ‘Hawks… But I would have loved this dude for Big Blue when Hynoski went down. One of my favorite players and a great leader.

10. seaeagle707 says: Jan 28, 2014 11:28 PM

@cruuuzcontrol

He said no to Big Blue and the Titans, because he really wanted to come back to Seattle. Nothing against them I’m sure, but the Hawks were where his heart was. If you watch episodes of “TheRealRobinsonReport” (internet show) this’ll come out to you. Mike is a true class act, who doesn’t mind telling you that Marshawn, is his best friend. His coming back was a highlight of the season for me.

But if he goes to free-agency, who knows where he might wind up?

BTW: Love the ID pun.