New Jersey politician wants to remind you he’s from New Jersey

6-14-13_central_n.j._website_page_picture

It didn’t take long for the first inferiority complex to rear its head at the Super Bowl.

During his introductory press conference last night, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll referenced coming back to New York, where he worked for one year as Jets coach.

The next voice heard wasn’t a reporter.

“Coach, I just want to say something. I’m Rich Boggiano with the city council,” he said, via Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger. “You said you’re glad to be back in New York, I just want to remind you, you’re in New Jersey.”

Carroll jumped in at those point, apologizing with a “My bad.”

“Even when you’re at the Jets, you know we were the New York Jets but we were playing in New Jersey so that’s always been an issue,” Carroll said. “I understand. I appreciate it. Sorry it came out that way.”

Boggiano is a first year city councilman from Jersey City, went to the press conference to defend his home turf (and maybe, just possibly, to attract attention to himself, which he’s now done.)

“I didn’t want to embarass him,” he said of Carroll. “But, . . .”

So let that be a lesson to you all, Super Bowl attendees. Don’t forget to include New Jersey. They’re obviously sensitive there.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
41 Responses to “New Jersey politician wants to remind you he’s from New Jersey”
  1. jakec4 says: Jan 27, 2014 10:05 AM

Boggiano sounds like someone on Tony Soprano’s crew.

2. thehouseofho says: Jan 27, 2014 10:05 AM

Why is it you never hear that it should be called the East Rutherford Giants or East Rutherford Jets? The NY on their helmets is in reference to the city/metropolitan area, not the state.

3. jimmyt says: Jan 27, 2014 10:12 AM

The Jets and Giants are two New York teams. They just use your state.

4. nyjsec314 says: Jan 27, 2014 10:14 AM

NY politicians blew their chance seven years ago to have a NY Superbowl, but now want the recognition.

It’s the owners fault that the NY name got associated with the Superbowl. Without coming off as whining, the truth is that there were two chances for NY to have their own Football Stadium- the Jets wanted West Side Stadium which would’ve had not only the Superbowl but the Winter Olympics, which the Dolans used their influence to shoot down. And then there was the possibility of a Stadium in Queens which the Mara/Tish families worked to shoot down.

Things are what they are, but like usual, Woody Johnson bowed down to external pressures because he is a flake.

5. blakeden says: Jan 27, 2014 10:15 AM

Great now politicians want to show there stupidity when it comes to football….Why don’t they do what politicians do best, like close lanes on the GW bridge etc….Leave sports alone…

6. ningenito78 says: Jan 27, 2014 10:17 AM

I live in New Jersey. For the last 34 years. I can tell you without question this place sucks.

7. ningenito78 says: Jan 27, 2014 10:19 AM

Also it would probably be a good idea for NJ ‘politicians’ to keep a low profile. They aren’t exactly a symbol of greatness. Unless of course you want to redone your property. Then about $10,000 should cover it.

8. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Jan 27, 2014 10:35 AM

You would think that they could distinguish being in NJ from the smell alone.

9. dontouchmyjunk says: Jan 27, 2014 10:38 AM

The team names are the New YORK Giants and the New YORK Jets!!! Until they change their names to the New Joisey whatevers, please — shut the hell up!

10. statsdolie says: Jan 27, 2014 10:39 AM

Blame the politicians and the sensitive people all you want but my freaking tax dollars had to go to pay for that damn stadium and the Super Bowl is in New Jersey.

11. nycowboysfan says: Jan 27, 2014 10:50 AM

The only good thing about Jersey is the Turnpike!

12. blackqbwhiterb says: Jan 27, 2014 10:51 AM

Best politicians money can buy

13. koenig61 says: Jan 27, 2014 10:52 AM

I’m sure if roles were reversed, all of the NY media would be having a heart attack over not being mentioned. NY is so full of itself and thinks its the center of the universe.

14. justintuckrule says: Jan 27, 2014 10:53 AM

@statsdolie – no taxes were used to build the stadium. Mara and woody split it.

15. jlopez856 says: Jan 27, 2014 11:00 AM

What’s the controversy the superbowl is being play in New Jersey not New York.

16. newjerseygiants says: Jan 27, 2014 11:02 AM

I live in NJ myself, only place I have ever lived. Its the land of ultra-high property taxes and where just about everything costs more.

Aside from that, NJ screwed up years ago with the Giants – Jets situation if they had wanted a NJ NFL team. If they had offered the Jets the initial Meadowlands stadium, we would have seen the New Jersey Jets playing there.

No way the Giants would have ever changed their name and once the helmet deal expired they were quick to change their helmet logo from Giants to NY.

The Jets however would have been happy to be the NJ Jets and playing within Jets Stadium.

17. bbrophy1 says: Jan 27, 2014 11:13 AM

If it snows and the politicians decide to not absorb the overtime costs of sending out the plows, they will remember it’s NJ then!

18. jerseyshoregiant says: Jan 27, 2014 11:21 AM

I wonder who the NFL will look to for help if it snows a foot or two the day before or the night before the super bowl? Hmmm?

19. nomoreliesfortoday says: Jan 27, 2014 11:23 AM

Oh, I got it…so when I’m out to dinner at Keen’s Steakhouse on 36th in midtown, its cool to say I’m at some restaurant in East Rutherford.

Some of you people are so dumb.

20. weepingjebus says: Jan 27, 2014 11:24 AM

NJ Giants, NJ Jets, NY Bills.

21. packerbackernj says: Jan 27, 2014 11:24 AM

Jersey is alright. I live here because it’s cheaper to take a train to Manhatten then actually live in Manhatten. It’s just ..boring in a sense. Manhatten is the city that never sleeps, there’s always something to do. Thats why i work and play in NY, and have a house in Jersey.

22. granadafan says: Jan 27, 2014 11:25 AM

It seems like New Jerseyites have a wee bit of a chip on their shoulder and a massive inferiority complex when it comes to NY/ NJ, much in the same way Canadians have the same complex about the US. One of the most famous and popular Canadian songs was a Molson beer commercial about how they’re NOT American.

23. ebr362 says: Jan 27, 2014 11:26 AM

I love the people that say “I have lived here all my life and Jersey sucks.”
    Who in their right mind would choose to live all their life in a place that “sucks”?
    Its like going to the same restaurant every friday and complains that the food sucks…lol

24. realitypolice says: Jan 27, 2014 11:32 AM

I live at the Jersey shore, and I have to distinct points:

- New Jersey has it’s bad spots, but it has some beautiful beaches, and where I am is exactly an hour away from NYC, Philly, and AC, and NJ sports some of the most beautiful farmland and vineyards you’ll see anywhere.

- If you are anywhere in the world and you meet someone from North Jersey and ask them where they are from, I guarantee you they say “New York”. People from the areas around the Meadowlands consider themselves to be New York suburbanites, just like people that live right outside other major cities.

So I have no issue with calling this a “New York” Super Bowl.

25. bkg63 says: Jan 27, 2014 11:43 AM

Ok Councilman Boggiano, you get a cookie for your “correction”. Nobody really cares, as everyone knows, Northern New Jersey is the armpit of America; even the locals admit that…

26. joetoronto says: Jan 27, 2014 11:45 AM

Kinda like Seattle and Anchorage.

27. rcampore says: Jan 27, 2014 11:46 AM

realitypolice says: Jan 27, 2014 11:32 AM

I live at the Jersey shore, and I have to distinct points:

So I have no issue with calling this a “New York” Super Bowl.

__________________________________

You are wrong about North Jersey and saying from New York. I live right outside Manhattan. I could probably walk to the city if there wasn’t a river in between and when someone asks me where I am from, I never think to say NY. I live in New Jersey and I live as close to NYC as you can pretty much get.

28. bmckay3 says: Jan 27, 2014 11:54 AM

I don’t see how they’re being “sensitive” or have a chip on their shoulder. The Super Bowl is being played in NJ, not NY. The NJ politician is trying to drum up publicity and recognition for his state, as is his job to do.

Sure you can be cynical and say the politician is drumming up publicity for himself, but the fact remains that the event is happening in New Jersey, not New York.

29. joetoronto says: Jan 27, 2014 11:55 AM

granadafan says:
    Jan 27, 2014 11:25 AM
    *********************************************
    I have nothing against the USA, but please explain to me why we here would be envious of America.

Seriously, I can’t think of one reason, not anymore.

30. wisconsinhillfolk says: Jan 27, 2014 12:03 PM

These colloquial references mean nothing to most of the country. The minor distinctions are of no consequence.

31. 63deuceman says: Jan 27, 2014 12:03 PM

I’m not sure I understand the issue with NY vs. NJ. I live in Oakland County, about 90 miles north of Detroit. Oakland County is a very nice, affluent suburb. Detroit is nationally known for its troubles. But when anybody asks, I’m from Detroit.

32. realitypolice says: Jan 27, 2014 12:14 PM

rcampore says:
    Jan 27, 2014 11:46 AM
    realitypolice says: Jan 27, 2014 11:32 AM

I live at the Jersey shore, and I have to distinct points:

So I have no issue with calling this a “New York” Super Bowl.

__________________________________

I won’t doubt you. But I can tell you that I travel all over the world for work and I can’t count the number of times I’ve met someone who said they were from New York and when I asked which part they said “well, actually right outside the city” and then said Hoboken or Weehawken or whatnot. Whatever you tell people when they ask where you’re from, the areas around the Meadowlands are NYC suburbs, just as Mt. Laurel and Cherry Hill are suburbs of Philadelphia.

33. ttommytom says: Jan 27, 2014 12:20 PM

Most of us NY’ers joke about the crappy parts of NJ (and their endless run of loser Governers) but for the most part it is one beautiful state.

34. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 27, 2014 12:32 PM

Behold the inferiority complex plus combative attitudes right before your eyes, here on this very blog.. well done gents. That’s Jersey.

35. imonfire2niteoyeah says: Jan 27, 2014 1:29 PM

New york can keep the Giants. Give New Jersey the Jets. It sounds fitting. New Jersey Jets. The team colors are green like the garden state and their players are garbage like the sewage the state is known for.

36. mediasloppy says: Jan 27, 2014 1:30 PM

This whole thread is like Watching Jersey Shore.

37. greymares says: Jan 27, 2014 1:52 PM

If all New Jersey Giant and Jet fans kept their money in their pocket you would see both of these franchises on the move. they couldn’t survive with out the Jersey money.

38. steelgrave says: Jan 27, 2014 2:43 PM

……but the fact remains that the event is happening in New Jersey, not New York.

———————————————————

Believe me, no one outside of New Jersey gives a crap. To the rest of the USA, the Super Bowl is happening in New York. The Councilman is a buffoon who should go back to counting bribes in the backroom, in true Jersey tradition.

39. yordo says: Jan 27, 2014 2:52 PM

Can’t New York just annex New Jersey and be done with it?

40. seaeagle707 says: Jan 27, 2014 5:31 PM

For all of the years that the Lions played at the Silverdome, I don’t remember any of the locals demanding that “Pontiac”, be included in the teams’ identity. Same with the Cowboys. Did they ever actually play IN Dallas?

But, New Jersey footed the bill for the stadium in its swamps, that New York City only “talked about” building on the West Side of Manhattan. So yeah, I guess they have some rights to feel slighted by all of the references to the Big Apple.

41. td40 says: Jan 27, 2014 10:48 PM

Funny. I’ll bet there are literally millions of people who live in places like North Bergen and Hoboken and Jersey City who, when asked where they’re from, say New York.