Team Rice wins Pro Bowl 22-21

2014 Pro Bowl Getty Images

In a low-scoring game as Pro Bowls go, a team of NFL all-stars captained by Jerry Rice defeated a team led by Deion Sanders 22-21 on Sunday in Honolulu.

Panthers fullback Mike Tolbert’s two-point conversion with 41 seconds left was the game-winner for Team Rice, which had drawn to within 21-20 on Cowboys tailback DeMarco Murray’s 20-yard TD reception.

Eagles quarterback Nick Foles (Team Sanders) earned game offensive MVP honors after throwing for 89 yards and a TD on 7-of-10 passing. Chiefs inside linebacker Derrick Johnson was defensive MVP after notching nine tackles for Team Rice, the club said.

Foles’ 12-yard TD pass to Browns tight end Jordan Cameron gave Team Sanders a 21-14 lead with 4:41 left in regulation. However, Team Rice, after a failed drive on offense, forced a three-and-out by Team Sanders, and Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith helped engineer a four-play, 58-yard drive ending in Murray’s TD. Then, Tolbert bowled into the end zone on a fullback dive.

A 67-yard field goal by the Ravens’ Justin Tucker (Team Sanders) fell short in the final seconds.

The 2014 Pro Bowl was played with numerous new rules. Among other changes, the by-conference format was discontinued in favor of captains drafting teams, and kickoffs were eliminated.

This was the first Pro Bowl decided by a mere point since 1983, when the NFC defeated the AFC 20-19. Also, it was the first Pro Bowl since 2006 in which less than a combined 50 points were scored.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
57 Responses to “Team Rice wins Pro Bowl 22-21”
  1. purplehaze28 says: Jan 27, 2014 12:11 AM

BOOORRINNGG!

2. toonloonboon says: Jan 27, 2014 12:13 AM

….i came in like a wrecking ball

3. sdisme says: Jan 27, 2014 12:16 AM

Best Pro-Bowl ever. But Tolbert should have been offensive MVP.

Whoever decided MVPs had a preconceived notion that it should be a QB.

Keep the format and make Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson captains next year. And let the fans vote the MVPs.

4. shadowcell says: Jan 27, 2014 12:17 AM

a surprisingly entertaining game, too!

5. icanspeel says: Jan 27, 2014 12:18 AM

It was more entertaining than previous Pro Bowls, although that’s not saying too much.

6. dasmol says: Jan 27, 2014 12:18 AM

The Pro Bowl was today?

7. gloryfromheaven46 says: Jan 27, 2014 12:18 AM

Somewhat entertaining, at least its not compared to past Pro Bowls.

8. o0omorriso0o says: Jan 27, 2014 12:19 AM

Nick Foles is legit. NFL better recognize. He may be the best young qb in the NFL. Better than rg3, better than wilson, better than cam, better than kap. Him and luck is a toss up

9. trublazer says: Jan 27, 2014 12:24 AM

entertaining

10. synysterjman says: Jan 27, 2014 12:25 AM

No matter what is said on this site. This was a great game. Teammates vs. Teammates were great. Hats off to the NFL

11. robgilman says: Jan 27, 2014 12:27 AM

I enjoyed watching this game. Added fun competition with the team captains, players played harder, and it’s always fun to watch Rivers turn the ball over regardless of the uniform he’s wearing.

Worst/best halftime show ever, we were all dying. I hope they keep Rice and Sanders as the captains for years to come, keeping the rivalry and adding more fuel to the competition.

Can’t remember ever seeing a Pro Bowl with such a defensive battle. QB’s actually had to make quick decisions and get rid of the ball.

12. hanspard says: Jan 27, 2014 12:32 AM

Still didn’t watch it.

13. spankmarley says: Jan 27, 2014 12:38 AM

Did anyone watch it though?

14. beavertonsteve says: Jan 27, 2014 12:39 AM

OK. I’ll admit it. I watched the whole thing and actually enjoyed it. First I’ve watched in 10 years. I thought some of the rule changes were interesting too. Especially the one where the clock stopped in the last two minutes if the offense didn’t gain any at least a yard.

15. 87hollywoodhorn says: Jan 27, 2014 12:51 AM

im a saints fan and a fan and im from the old school, so I hate on almost anything the NFL HQ does but this time im like burger king – I’m lovin it.

They played pretty hard and I liked the draft system.

The uniforms on the other hand. They were the worst duds I have ever seen a football game be played in. Seahwaks, Steelers bumblebees, those brown Bronco getups. All of them are better than those highlighter atrocities.

16. bleedburgandyandgold says: Jan 27, 2014 12:53 AM

It was a alright game for pro bowl standards I managed to watch most of it off and on

17. chiadam says: Jan 27, 2014 12:57 AM

Who else had no idea the Pro Bowl was on today?

18. cursedvikings1998 says: Jan 27, 2014 1:04 AM

This was a very good Pro Bowl, as pro bowls go. People were actually trying and stuff.

19. edithpiaf51 says: Jan 27, 2014 1:19 AM

It was a fun game to watch and it was nice to see Jerry Rice again. I just wish Eli Manning and Aaron Rogers were selected.

20. sensiblevoice says: Jan 27, 2014 1:38 AM

I have to give it to ‘em i actually enjoyed this years pro bowl….

21. T.D. says: Jan 27, 2014 2:07 AM

My eyes!! My poor eyes!!

22. vetelmo says: Jan 27, 2014 2:08 AM

I didn’t watch, never do but Im glad Jerry’s team won!

23. jsp418 says: Jan 27, 2014 2:20 AM

Best Pro Bowl in years!

24. ghlatty says: Jan 27, 2014 2:38 AM

Dudes came to play! I really didn’t care one way or another about the new format, but if that’s what it takes to get a good game, keep it! Sooo much better than the last few years.

25. ferdfteenthousand says: Jan 27, 2014 2:50 AM

It’s refreshing to see a pro bowl that had tackling

26. novasportsfan says: Jan 27, 2014 3:23 AM

So Oregon State beat Oregon

27. mattbarkley123 says: Jan 27, 2014 3:56 AM

team sanders got screwed!

28. jshawaii22 says: Jan 27, 2014 4:37 AM

Weather sucked out here today. The NFL should of had a ‘contingency’ for this, like some of you think about the Super Bowl.

Move the game to Monday or next weekend. How dare they make those stars play in the rain! (and all of the fans, too)

js

29. coltsreign says: Jan 27, 2014 6:24 AM

The best pro bowl ive seen. The teammate on teammate hits were beautiful. And this is a decent score

30. bunjy96 says: Jan 27, 2014 6:33 AM

I was so anxious to watch it, I didn’t.

Can’t remember the last one I watched. I know the year didn’t start with 20.

31. Punk says: Jan 27, 2014 6:38 AM

I only intended to watch the first quarter just to see the rule changes and laugh at the play…. Turns out I watched the entire game and loved every minute of it.

32. Youknowimright says: Jan 27, 2014 6:48 AM

Check down charlie got the offensive mvp. Really? 5 check downs and two jump balls get you the mvp. Wow ! They failed to mention his lack of athleticism and propensity to take terrible sacks. This was his kind of game though , where intentional grounding was eliminated , or else he’d have had a couple of those tonight. The kids a joke. A complete product of the chip kelly arena football league.

33. nesuperfan says: Jan 27, 2014 6:57 AM

The look on Deion Sander’s face when Team Rice scored the two-point conversion was priceless. I could not tell if he was stunned because they scored, or because he couldn’t do the +2 math.

34. csilojohnson says: Jan 27, 2014 7:00 AM

Didnt realize they were still wasting thier time with that.

35. finswins says: Jan 27, 2014 7:09 AM

WOW!!!!! Riveting!!!!

36. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Jan 27, 2014 7:18 AM

Oh, that was last night?

37. joeflaccoallday says: Jan 27, 2014 7:25 AM

I hope I’m not the only person saying this but this game was actually a little bit interesting to watch. I like the new format.

38. arpy911 says: Jan 27, 2014 7:31 AM

Probably the best and hardest played Pro Bowl in history. Big hits, even teammate on teammate, great pass rush, quarterbacks being pasted, running backs upended, tough defense. They played like they actually meant it, for a change, and it came down to the last play for the win. Fans got their money’s worth. Great new format.

39. coonsqualler says: Jan 27, 2014 7:45 AM

Fun to watch…I think they got the MVP’s wrong though.

Watt should have been Defense and Gordon Offense IMO,,

40. nodindenver says: Jan 27, 2014 7:53 AM

That was actually a spirited affair. Nice to see some team mates hit each other. Man to man coverage with some D stunts made it a worthwhile watch. Derrick Johnson and JJ Watt were beasts! Looks like they had fun and did not notice any significant injuries despite the solid effort!

41. yooperman says: Jan 27, 2014 8:02 AM

Oh no, I can’t believe it. I forgot to watch last night.

42. azwildcats96 says: Jan 27, 2014 8:02 AM

I watched about 5 mins and then turned the channel. Players only play for two reasons: championships and $$$. Since they aren’t playing for a championship the only way to truly motivate professional athletes to try their best is to pay each member of the winning team enough money to make it worth risking injury. I think a better idea is to have the runner up teams, Pats/Niners, play for a monetary reward.

43. theboneski3 says: Jan 27, 2014 8:07 AM

I have to say — this was a great game to watch. I liked the new format and the rule changes.

44. rje49 says: Jan 27, 2014 8:33 AM

Oh yeah; I forgot they were playing. Next week, ask anyone who won.

45. rjmarrella says: Jan 27, 2014 8:35 AM

Foles!!!!

46. cursedvikings1998 says: Jan 27, 2014 9:00 AM

47. therealtruth210 says: Jan 27, 2014 9:29 AM

MVP to the qb of the losing team. that’s odd, he lost

48. tformation says: Jan 27, 2014 9:53 AM

I have some hardcore football fans who opted to watch the Grammies over the Pro Bowl. That speaks volumes on the work the “Pro Bowl” brand needs to do…

49. macjacmccoy says: Jan 27, 2014 10:02 AM

Youknowimright says:
    Jan 27, 2014 6:48 AM

You dont get a high passer rating for check downs. You team also doesnt lead the league by a big margin in 20+ yard plays if you always check down. Its funny people call all his long passes jump balls but if that was a case why does his receivers always come down with the ball? He puts it up but he also puts the ball where only the offense can catch the ball. There was no way that anyone but Brown was catching that first pass and no way anyone but Cameron was catching that second one.

A jump ball is what Luck threw. Luckily he had Desean to bail him out.

50. Youknowimright says: Jan 27, 2014 10:51 AM

You dont get a high passer rating for check downs.

but you do. easy passes in space and let people run. Lots of yards and no incompletion or interception equals high passer rating. Give me a few nick fole’s signature passes where you went wow he threaded that ball in there. You can’t . He is totally protected in that offense. The kid is a fraud. He cannot read a def past the first read. Last night the throws to brown and jordan were pre-snap reads. If they were covered better, he would have either taken a bad sack or chucked it out of bounds and possibly gotten intentional grounding, in a real game. He cannot move even a little bit and is completely unathletic. I hope philly stays with him because his ceiling has been reached already. He is a 1-2 rd playoff guy at best, but he also could possibly destroy you by his lack of desire to take a chance at times and cost you games. He was average at best the last 4 games of the year sans the chicago game. He and the philly offense will be figured out this offseason.

51. dietrich43 says: Jan 27, 2014 10:52 AM

Can we get Montana and Young as next year’s captains? If not that, Adam Sandler and Burt Reynolds?

52. gratefulneal says: Jan 27, 2014 11:45 AM

The PRO Bowl is always a “lame game”…when I heard the changes with the “new teams”…I new it would be a snooze fest…

NFL had so much confidence in the game they went up against the Grammy’s…LOL….

did anyone even watch the pro bowl ????

53. 2ndaryinsanity says: Jan 27, 2014 11:56 AM

I’m really glad I decided to give this new format a chance. It was very entertaining. Players went at it hard, even against teammates. The game was decided in the last few minutes. Those of you who skipped it should check it out next year. This is one of the few times Goodell got it right.

54. denverdude7 says: Jan 27, 2014 12:15 PM

The game was watchable and the drafting of the players regardless of conference was a great idea.

However, whoever bought those God-awful uniforms should be arrested.

55. mackie66 says: Jan 27, 2014 12:42 PM

Didn’t watch game, never do. My comment concerns the uniforms,,,who on earth designed those ugly ass uni’s the players were wearing? God they are awful.

56. mediasloppy says: Jan 27, 2014 2:22 PM

I recorded it and enjoyed all the new rules and how they picked sides. It was entertaining. I was surprised PFT wasn’t covering it more. I mean I’ve read the same story today within a few minutes of each other about Baldwin saying Sherman was awful when he first became a DB.

57. o0omorriso0o says: Jan 27, 2014 6:34 PM

Oh and he also led the nfl in passer rating this year as well. forgot to mention that. You have nothing!!!