Dominique Rodgers Cromartie: Retirement talk was misunderstood

90ca48c66283278c3eb2e19b960fafc8 Getty Images

On Monday, Broncos cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie created a bit of a stir when he said he’s thought about the possibility that Sunday’s Super Bowl may be the final game of his career.

Those thoughts were interpreted as a contemplation about retirement, but Rodgers Cromartie said at Tuesday’s Media Day that he didn’t mean things that way. Rodgers-Cromartie said that he was talking about the realities of playing on a one-year deal and how nothing is guaranteed in the NFL rather than “thinking about retiring in terms of giving up.”

“You’ve got to understand. I think about [Raiders 2005 first-round pick] Fabian Washington who is from Bradenton [FL],  just like I am. First round, one contract, got a one-year deal, never came back. I work out with him, he’s still fast, still in his prime and I think, ‘that could be me.’ I think about guys like that. I can’t speak on that. I am prepared for whatever. That’s what I mean about this being the last go-round.”

It’s hard to believe that Rodgers-Cromartie won’t generate interest this offseason, whether from the Broncos trying to retain him or someone else trying to lure him away from Denver. It’s never a bad idea to recognize that a playing career won’t last forever, though, and Rodgers-Cromartie’s approach to that reality should help him transition whenever the time does come to hang up the cleats.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
12 Responses to “Dominique Rodgers Cromartie: Retirement talk was misunderstood”
  1. thepftpoet says: Jan 28, 2014 3:42 PM

DRC really ment:

He’s going to make the whole Seahawks team

2. edelmanfanclub says: Jan 28, 2014 3:51 PM

I’m sure his agent called him to remind him he’s a free agent and could get a huge deal after an amazing year. Teams won’t forget this when they are deciding whether he is worth a big contract. Well some teams won’t.

3. gloryfromheaven46 says: Jan 28, 2014 3:53 PM

Broncos will probably make DRC a top 3 priority this offseason. They signed him a 1 year contract for a reason, to prove himself, and he probably had his best season yet.

With Chris Harris coming off a torn ACL and Champ Bailey’s age, I think they will want him back, and DRC will probably want to come back to Denver and contend for another Super Bowl opportunity…

4. elliottcovert says: Jan 28, 2014 3:54 PM

Does he really believe that no one would pick him up? I didn’t really follow the Broncos closely this season, but my impression is that he played well this last season and I don’t know of any reason why he wouldn’t be an undesirable commodity.

It’s a good thing to recognize that every career is limited, but don’t sell yourself short!

5. thepftpoet says: Jan 28, 2014 3:55 PM

DRC really ment:

Vikings are the best franchise in all of sports.

6. seabreezes51 says: Jan 28, 2014 3:55 PM

He was a slug in Philly.

7. steves11 says: Jan 28, 2014 4:07 PM

He wants to go back to Philly on a big contract. He blames Nnamdi for his poor play, saying that he had to cover both sides of the field, due to Nnamdi’s ineptness.

8. lanman11 says: Jan 28, 2014 4:10 PM

What he meant was that man to man, he got jacked up by Julian Edelman in the last game and he’s not been the same since, so he’s thinking of retiring.

9. 4allintensivepurposes says: Jan 28, 2014 4:31 PM

It’s our fault for misunderstanding him.

10. 1rockyracoon says: Jan 28, 2014 4:58 PM

He has a grasp on the reality of his profession that some others, especially the loud mouths, need. One year you’re at the top and 1-2 years later it’s all over.

11. realitycheckbaby says: Jan 28, 2014 5:12 PM

Worried about his value after Percy embarrasses him.

12. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Jan 28, 2014 9:54 PM

realitycheckbaby says:
    Jan 28, 2014 5:12 PM
    Worried about his value after Percy embarrasses him.
    ——–
    The only person Percy embarrasses is himself, dude is the biggest b!tch in the NFL. “I can’t play because my head hurts.” Bahahahaha!