Jamaal Charles thinks he didn’t have a concussion in playoff game

Charles AP

Early in a wild-card playoff loss to the Colts, Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles left with a concussion.

But Charles doesn’t think he had a concussion.

Appearing on 610 Sports in Kansas City, Charles explained the circumstances that resulted in his removal from the game.

“I was trying to get back on the field,” Charles said.  “I feel like I didn’t have a concussion. . . . You know the rules now.  I started to get up and jog on the sideline, go up and down, up and down.  Next thing you know they were like, ‘Let’s go to the locker room.’  And I went to the locker room, and next thing you know I didn’t ever come back.  I was mad about that, but I can’t do nothing about it.  You know what’s going with the NFL and the concussion stuff.  You’ve just got to respect the NFL rules.”

Charles thinks the Chiefs would have won, if he’d been able to play.

“I fell like I was about to go out there and carry my team,” Charles said.  “The way it started, I felt like I was in my zone.”

The Chiefs were in a zone, too, unless the Colts got in an even better zone.  And the Chiefs are now back in the 0-0 zone, hoping to build next year on a stunning turnaround in 2013.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Jamaal Charles thinks he didn’t have a concussion in playoff game”
  1. ziggystheansah says: Jan 28, 2014 10:18 PM

This would’ve been nice if you let the trainers know that….24 days ago!

2. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 28, 2014 10:23 PM

I don’t think he did, either. They were told to keep him out, because the Chiefs were going to score 60, and they couldn’t push their golden boy Luck, who still stunk out the joint and got blown out by a team that nearly went an entire game without scoring a TD the following week. Luck can’t get it done, even when they’re trying to push him so hard.

3. shaggytoodle says: Jan 28, 2014 10:23 PM

Concussions won’t let you think straight.

How many people have seen the video where the MMA fighter gets knocked?

Gets up a little bit later and dances around with his arms up in the air as if he won.

Then he tries to jump over the top rope to exit the ring and eats it.

4. raiderapologist says: Jan 28, 2014 10:29 PM

He looked concussed.

5. keepingitrealdumb says: Jan 28, 2014 10:31 PM

my jamaal would have carried KC to a win no doubt

6. yourstruly123 says: Jan 28, 2014 10:40 PM

Like Chief’s fans didn’t already have a hard enough time accepting that loss..

7. ottawabrave91 says: Jan 28, 2014 10:44 PM

sadly I don’t believe the chiefs will even make the playoffs. there are other teams that the nfl would rather make the playoffs that are larger market and make more money, so the league will set the schedule of when chiefs play certain teams and the timing of stronger opponents and anything else they can against the chiefs

8. 21stnprime says: Jan 28, 2014 11:05 PM

I was thinking the same. The Chiefs were dropping like flies with the concussion like symptoms. Local Indy docs grabbing helmets!

9. riverhorsey says: Jan 28, 2014 11:16 PM

Charles was out cold and didn’t even know it. Glad they took him out.

10. Tarkus says: Jan 28, 2014 11:17 PM

He also said he was “wooze” like a boxer. Probably not the best idea to have players try and self-diagnose concussions.

11. smartstickhotness says: Jan 28, 2014 11:21 PM

The nfl screwed kc

The Seahawks receiver was knocked out twice in another game and never got pulled out.

Sad wwnfl

12. unbridledsexy says: Jan 28, 2014 11:49 PM

No question in my mind that he had the ability to change that game. Alex Smith had an incredible game as well. They need a better defense coordinator in my opinion.

13. joeflaccoallday says: Jan 29, 2014 12:07 AM

Great year for the Chiefs all in all. All they really need is a WR to compliment Dwayne Bowe and a decent tight end and they back where they started and can compete for the AFC.

14. johninthewest says: Jan 29, 2014 12:20 AM

A fraud hit a fraud!

15. joetoronto says: Jan 29, 2014 4:47 AM

“And I went to the locker room, and next thing you know I didn’t ever come back. I was mad about that, but I can’t do nothing about it. You know what’s going with the NFL and the concussion stuff.”

Just another example of jocks being handed passing grades in college.

16. tjjohnson98 says: Jan 29, 2014 5:54 AM

When you have 4 starters leave the game with concussions, I would definitely buy the overzealous doctor theory. Or maybe the Chiefs’ doctors are from Indiana…

17. grogseal says: Jan 29, 2014 6:47 AM

Please meet Dr. Charles MD.

18. gsomatt says: Jan 29, 2014 6:54 AM

yea Charles? But do you remember being in the locker room for the rest of the game?

19. kingcrusher says: Jan 29, 2014 8:36 AM

Had we had a healthy Charles, then yes, it might have won us the game. Personally, I’d rather have a healthy Charles next season than risk his career on one game. He’s an amazing talent and next year will only be better.
    I am REALLY looking forward to watching these guys next season and the progress they make! Very awesome season, and a prime reason we love the sport.

20. kcflake says: Jan 29, 2014 9:21 AM

The NFL Concussion Rules screwed the Chiefs in the playoff game. If we had jamall in there, we could have run the clock and the Colts would have been out of Luck. Jamall is the Man. Everyone knows it. We are Blessed to have him as our Offensive Star.

21. raynman49 says: Jan 29, 2014 12:01 PM

In ten years he’ll be suing .

22. chawk12thman says: Jan 29, 2014 12:30 PM

This is why it isn’t up to the players to decide and it is left up to staff that are trained to observe and recognize concussions……..Left to players’, almost all would play if they could. Proves the system works………….

23. jimmyjames65 says: Jan 29, 2014 4:49 PM

Colts definitely got Lucky that day. Chiefs laid a woodshed beating on them, just like the Ravens the year before. Colts and Luck are over-rated. NFL wants everyone to believe he’s the next Peyton Manning.

24. haleyistheman00 says: Jan 30, 2014 4:08 PM

I honestly didn’t think he had a concussion the linebacker that came acrossed him didn’t make contact. JC went to his side and his head barely hit the ground. Now I know his neck snapped and his head hit but I’ve been watching JC for years now and seen him take brutal hits and never even get stunned. It was just very bizzare, then when everyone else kept dropping in the second half I’ve never seen anything like it.