Jonathan Martin: “I felt trapped, like I didn’t have a way to make it right”

Jonathan Martin AP

In a portion of an interview with Tony Dungy that aired on tonight’s “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams,” Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin shed some light on his decision to leave the team in October.

“I wish I would have had more tools to solve my situation. I felt trapped, like I didn’t have a way to make it right. It came down to a point where I thought it was best just to remove myself from the situation.”

Martin’s departure was soon followed by allegations that the offensive tackle was bullied by teammate Richie Incognito. Incognito has said he was friends with Martin, and other Dolphins teammates have denied Martin was mistreated.

More of Dungy’s interview with Martin will air on Wednesday’s “Today” on NBC. Also, the full Martin interview will be shown on a dedicated episode of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN to air at 6:30 p.m. Eastern on Wednesday.

Permalink 83 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
83 Responses to “Jonathan Martin: “I felt trapped, like I didn’t have a way to make it right””
  1. dfco74 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:19 PM

What tools were you looking for? A wrench or a baseball bat.

2. holla2626 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:19 PM

“Why me?”

3. thevikesarebest says: Jan 28, 2014 7:20 PM

Much like our div opponents feel about being in the division with the Vikings..best franchise in the NFL.especially we get to kick the pathetic packers around.

4. imbetteratlifethanyou says: Jan 28, 2014 7:20 PM

Jared Allen of the Minnesota Vikings has 3 DUI arrests – 2 in 1 year (2006). Keep it classy Minn-eh-sooodah!!

5. gb4mn0 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:22 PM

If Martin felt trapped in Miami just think how tough it must be to play for minnysoda. Probably like somebody nailed your junk to a stump.

6. thingamajig says: Jan 28, 2014 7:23 PM

He said, she said.

7. tooz72 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:25 PM

incognito is a classic bully, matter of time before he’s in prison

8. garyman1 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:26 PM

No shame in admitting you weren’t mentally strong enough to deal with it. Just don’t sue anybody over it.

9. alshonbrandontandem says: Jan 28, 2014 7:27 PM

I can’t see any NFL team signing this guy; he doesn’t have the mental toughness you need to succeed in the league. He’ll regret this decision for the rest of his life

10. redandgoldhitman52 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:28 PM

you did the right thing Martin. as for the Dolphins franchise…stay classy.

11. mrwalterisgod says: Jan 28, 2014 7:31 PM

It’s Super Bowl week. We need to be giving Seattle and Denver their deserved attention. Not the man-Child or his abusive captor Incogpigslopnito.

12. jwcarlson says: Jan 28, 2014 7:32 PM

“I’m a grown man,” Martin said. “I’ve been in locker rooms. There’s vulgar languages in locker rooms. One instance doesn’t bother me. It’s the persistence of it.”

Ooooooookkkkk. So there’s 1-2 curse words thrown around in other locker rooms he has been in and then they cool it? Give me a break.

13. xcerebus1 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:35 PM

Did he answer any questions about the rumor he was trying to leave the Dolphins, but keep his money so he needed some sort of lame excuse to leave camp with sympathy?

14. Youknowimright says: Jan 28, 2014 7:35 PM

You cannot handle the locker room. You cannot handle the field. Now he is just trying to get paid because his career is over. He is too soft for teams to take a chance on.

15. egomaniac247 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:36 PM

““I wish I would have had more tools to solve my situation. ”

Good grief….if that’s now lawyer/HR dept language I don’t know what is.

16. lemmetalkwouldya says: Jan 28, 2014 7:38 PM

Wait …….. I thought all of this was because he was directly threatened, physically.

Now it’s because of “persistent vulgarity” ……????

SERIOUSLY???

This guy is way too sensitive for the NFL.

17. rodge1 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:39 PM

Grown men aren’t tattletales and grown men don’t go running to mommy & daddy when they can’t handle work.

18. drtharrison says: Jan 28, 2014 7:44 PM

Jonathan,

If you are a grown man, own up to the real problems:

1. You got moved back to RT because you sucked at LT.
    2. You got pissed off when you were moved (remember your pouty lunch tray incident?), and you realized that you would never get a big LT payday in Miami.
    3. You used your former friend Richie as an excuse to sue so you could sue for money to retire with, and/or to get a release so you could ‘prove’ to others that you were indeed a starting LT in the NFL, which you are not.

This business of being mentally traumatized is a farce. Man up and admit it.

But, you won’t. You are being advised by attorney/parents who specialize in labor/workplace lawsuits and they are looking out for you to get settlement so you can retire and leave football.

You sir, are among (though not the only) the reasons why the Phins missed the playoffs. First, you sucked to the point that the team was on its way to the worse OL performance in franchise history. Then, second, when you melted down, we had no one on the bench to replace the same Incognito you took down with you (I do think Clabo would have replaced you regardless).

Want to be a grown man Jonathan? Negotiate to have your pro rated unfulfilled contract and signing bonus returned to the team in exchange for your release. Not willing to give money back? Then please, just stop your whining.

19. sevensixtwonato says: Jan 28, 2014 7:44 PM

What does any of this have to do with the Vikings or the Packers?

20. acousticphan says: Jan 28, 2014 7:44 PM

No no no no no do NOT give this guy any attention…let alone right before the Superbowl. He’s an embarrassment to the NFL.

21. cuda1234 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:47 PM

Poor black millionaire, can’t do anything on his own, needs the government and/or the union to bail him out. Welcome to Obama’s America!

22. cuda1234 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:48 PM

And when will NBC air the Richie Incognito interview in an effort to be fair and balanced, to present the entire story?

23. PeterKingLovesCoqAVin says: Jan 28, 2014 7:48 PM

So now Saint Dungy is shilling for Martin AND on the Super Special Stephen Ross Council for Locker Room Happiness or whatever it’s called.

And I’ve yet to see a compelling reason for his involvement in any of it. Perhaps he fancies himself a gridiron Dr. Phil.

24. rmavs says: Jan 28, 2014 7:51 PM

Seriously, someone brought up Jared Allen’s DUIs in this conversation? Idiot! The Vikings signed him knowing the baggage he carried and had ways out of the contract if Jared messed up. Guess what? He continued to be one of the best d ends in the game. The kid grew up. The kid learned not to take his talent, and another chance for granted. I think he’s done pretty damn well.

25. vbe2 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:52 PM

Wish I was trapped in a multi million dollar job that involved playing a game.

26. beastmode5150 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:55 PM

type of cat.

27. moerawn says: Jan 28, 2014 7:56 PM

Poor guy: he’s the product of “conflict resolution” training that doesn’t work but makes you more of a victim. I bet he’d no more light up Incognito than rob a bank.

28. armchairqb says: Jan 28, 2014 7:59 PM

Ice up, son!

Better take that big brain of yours and get a job more suited to you. Candy striper comes to mind.

29. annes22 says: Jan 28, 2014 8:11 PM

For goodness sake this guy was wimp, so just stay away from a “mans game”. You dumped the Dolphins and just stay with Mummy and Daddy and have a nice life, you are a looser. Let Ritchie have his “say too”. Tony Dungy go and interview Ritchie, that’s only fair!! This whole thing is pathetic, and especially with the Super Bowl coming up Sunday, who cares about Jonathon Martin right now, no one. Go and get a “real job” out there, you went to Stanford!!!

30. brutusbigpaws says: Jan 28, 2014 8:16 PM

Vulgar language, really??????

31. igotgamenj says: Jan 28, 2014 8:18 PM

“I wish I would have had more tools to solve my situation.

You should have gone to see the Wizard Of Oz he would have gave you some courage.

32. dynastyposeiden says: Jan 28, 2014 8:19 PM

trapped ….sounds like a teenage girl traopped in an offensive lineman’s body.
    so they said bad words around me … and I beat up my lunch tray and then I quit my job and sued for my unearned salary …
    sickening positively sickening

33. bucsducksipa says: Jan 28, 2014 8:24 PM

It takes a punk to know one…just sayin

34. 5to46hawkfan says: Jan 28, 2014 8:27 PM

Colonel mustard, with the rope in the ballroom!

35. fearthehoody says: Jan 28, 2014 8:27 PM

Go away loser

36. scmems07 says: Jan 28, 2014 8:28 PM

Watching this interview had me neglecting my 1 yr old son, he was crying for 5 mins and I though it was Martin all along.

37. cfballfan1 says: Jan 28, 2014 8:30 PM

Okay – whatever. Time for Martin to seek another, more suitable, career path. Librarian perhaps.

38. dukeblue12 says: Jan 28, 2014 8:39 PM

Get this guy outta here. I got over Martin when cameras caught him laughing it up on the sidelines of a Stanford game, a week after he completely deserted his teammates in the middle of the season. For whatever reason, that just really rubbed me the wrong way.

If you really have emotional problems, to the point where you feel you have to leave your job and your colleagues, then stay out of the public spotlight.

39. kev86 says: Jan 28, 2014 8:44 PM

Is he trying to get a sit down with Oprah?

40. orivar says: Jan 28, 2014 8:50 PM

So it’s looking even more like that Richie wasn’t the bad guy. That quote is ridiculous, persistent vulgar language? Trapped? Really? It sounds EXACTLY like the theory quite a few of us were suggesting that got shot down for being, “insensitive”, that he couldn’t handle the NFL atmosphere and the whole bullying thing was a cop out.

41. doctorrustbelt says: Jan 28, 2014 8:50 PM

EVERY TEAM that richie incognito has played got better after richie was kicked off/released/suspended.

42. harrycanyon says: Jan 28, 2014 8:57 PM

This guy is a real piee of work. He is now hi-jacking superbowl week to whine about how language makes him cry. If something really bad had happened in that locker room, someone else would hvae come forward in some way to make light of the situation. It seems that it’s just one “man” who can’t handle it. I’m sure it’s not all cupcakes and kittens in a locker of a team as crappy as the modern day dolphins, but 52 other guys seem to have no issues.

43. lifeimitatesfootball says: Jan 28, 2014 8:57 PM

So, Mr. florio (I know you didn’t write this but what the heck), there you were a few months ago accusing the Dolphins of all sorts of terrible evil stuff like bullying and allowing bullying and not believing a word any of the players who claimed no bullying was involved just because you love to see the Dolphins get screwed (and since you never have my comments posted I can see this one not being posted either). I agree with the guys above who said Dungy needs to interview Richie as well…that’s not gonna happen, because in this politically correct world manly men always get the short end and wusses like Martin–truly the Privileged Son like the CCR song says–truly the son of lawyers–gets to screw the team that drafted him because he sucked as a LT and RT and just wanted his payday.

Florio, and the rest of the crew here, owe the Miami Dolphins an apology! Fat chance of that happening though!

44. keltictim says: Jan 28, 2014 9:02 PM

Wait, I’m very confused. I thought this was about bullying, or being made to pay for done Vegas trip, or pranks gone bad. Now it’s about vulgar language?!?! What’s it gonna be next week not enough vegan selection in the cafeteria? This whole thing is absurd

45. defscottyb says: Jan 28, 2014 9:10 PM

This guy is way too soft and not mentally tough enough for the nfl.

46. defscottyb says: Jan 28, 2014 9:13 PM

Should of handled this all in house not in the media. He should have went to team officials before he just quitted on his team. Soft

47. ragingsea says: Jan 28, 2014 9:17 PM

doctorrustbelt says: Jan 28, 2014 8:50 PM

——————————————————-

Like St. Louis and Buffalo? That’s a joke. Do some researching before you post.

48. doggeatdogg says: Jan 28, 2014 9:19 PM

Persistent, trapped… He is using code language for the ‘new wussified’ NFL they are trying to herald in. Now some people are not going to let their sons play football, coaches use fought language, tigers and lions and bears tearing each other up.

This guy is going to ride that train. It’s being worked up into a workplace situation lawsuit. It’s coming.

And couldn’t this have waited until next week. It’s like the NFL couldn’t have waited for one fire to finish up before another is started.

49. imbetteratlifethanyouisamoron says: Jan 28, 2014 9:24 PM

Packer Trolls, Jared has not gotten into one bit of trouble since becoming a Viking. Another post from a fan of a hapless, tasteless team. Filthy, Tokyo, and I’m better are all the same person.

50. whatjusthapped says: Jan 28, 2014 9:24 PM

He reminds me of a college intern I worked with on a construction crew. The kid complained about cussing on the job and the foreman told him he had two choices, deal with it or leave. It seems Martion choose to leave the NFL and its millions of dollars and that’s his decision, we don’t care about the justification. Just leave.

51. amgdds says: Jan 28, 2014 9:29 PM

Another name for a Cat. 5 letters.

52. igocommando says: Jan 28, 2014 9:34 PM

Just be brave enough to do what Aaron rodgers wasn’t. Turn the knob, open the door, and step out of the closet.

53. rcali says: Jan 28, 2014 9:37 PM

Another example of not every job is right for every person. If he takes advantage of that Stanford degree, he’ll find a job that fits him. Doesn’t look like that job though should be in the NFL.

54. phinfan says: Jan 28, 2014 9:37 PM

Oh looky look… Little Johnny is crying on the day of a GM Press Conference…

55. dartwick says: Jan 28, 2014 9:49 PM

On martins part the lamest aspect was the way his Dad seemed to be directing what Martin would say.

56. citiciti says: Jan 28, 2014 9:56 PM

Yawn.

57. slaugin says: Jan 28, 2014 11:24 PM

Richie had his sit down interveiw on a Sunday/Monday night Football game.

58. sweetshadow13 says: Jan 28, 2014 11:37 PM

I think Richie and the Dolphins organization are owed an apology from every major news site, including this one, for the things that were written immediately following this situation that were clearly wrong.

This guy is a clown.

59. edavidberg says: Jan 28, 2014 11:47 PM

I think the main issue here is that Martin was not performing on the field and Cognito took the blame.

I think most of us are stuck working with people we would rather not have to associate with. You don’t get to choose your co-workers in most instances. You have to learn to ignore negative voices and focus on yourself.

If Martin had been excelling on the field this issue with Cognito never would have come to light.

60. akboot says: Jan 28, 2014 11:51 PM

Ok you two so called packer fans that posted here.You can come on out of your closet, we all know you’re wearing purple, as much as you talk about the beloved Vikings.

61. pioniere says: Jan 29, 2014 12:12 AM

Just go away Martin. Nobody cares!!!

62. themiamidolphins says: Jan 29, 2014 12:23 AM

Jonathan Martin is pathetic. If you don’t want to play football, that’s fine. But don’t bring others down with you.

63. dougy1970 says: Jan 29, 2014 1:06 AM

Aaron Rodgers is going to face the same treatment in the macho NFL workplace going forward. I think the NFL needs to nip this in the bud.

64. chargrz says: Jan 29, 2014 1:14 AM

He felt trapped inside the body of a man. Get an operation to correct it. Problem solved!

65. dachozen1 says: Jan 29, 2014 1:21 AM

I trust his teammates. Theyve been around football their whole life and didnt see anything out of the norm. This is football and bravado is a part of playing this rough sport.

66. OnceACOWBOYFAN says: Jan 29, 2014 1:25 AM

He sounds like a coward too me…Don’t join the Armyl.

67. Moudabo says: Jan 29, 2014 1:29 AM

This kind of nonsense should have been handled in the lockeroom by the team leaders. Seems like there was a leadership void on that Phins team to put a stop to it, before it escalated.

68. dinofrank60 says: Jan 29, 2014 2:46 AM

Man. just leave the NFL and do something useful with your life, instead of wasting it playing with these kids. Your “manhood” is not tied up playing a game; you’ve got better things to do.

69. thethunderofgunns says: Jan 29, 2014 5:19 AM

Ridiculous. This ‘dude’ is in estrogen overdrive in a testosterone driven football culture.

He doesn’t fit.

Any team would be foolish to sign this poisonous flower to their squad so I fully expect it to be my Raiders.

70. mannyicey says: Jan 29, 2014 5:33 AM

Wait… was the bullying verbal only? Or was it physical? The reason why is because all he said was that there was a lot of vulgar language. Was that it?

I have a 15 year-old son who this kid was making disparaging remarks of. He was told by me that he had the power to take care of the situation on his own and he did. By himself. A couple of years back when he was 13.

In other words, if a guy is doing that to you, you have to take care of yourself. I mean, how can you expect to take care of a family as a husband and father if you can’t even take care of yourself? This isn’t about football. This is about manhood!

71. phillyphinsfan says: Jan 29, 2014 5:46 AM

drharrison is right. All of this is bullcrap. He was upset that he was moved back to right tackle.

72. coltsreign says: Jan 29, 2014 6:28 AM

Why do most nfl players not get a degree BEFORE entering the draft?

73. promickey says: Jan 29, 2014 6:42 AM

It should be interesting to find out what Jeff Ireland’s role was in all this. What did he say to Martin and did his role cause the owner to fire him. He should be the guy that Martin turns to for help.

74. 69finfan says: Jan 29, 2014 6:50 AM

Coach Philbin, Mr. Ireland. They said a bad word, I can’t take it. Make them stop. Mommy, Daddy, make them stop.

75. ravensfan996 says: Jan 29, 2014 7:10 AM

Hey, Jonathan, grow a set!!

76. riders008 says: Jan 29, 2014 7:13 AM

This guy needs to just disappear……cry baby

77. 2ruefan says: Jan 29, 2014 7:19 AM

This isn’t an “either-or” situation people. Incognito IS a bullying, foul degenerate AND Jonothan Martin apparently lacks the toughness to deal with such behavior, which is all too common in this world, not just the NFL.

78. thehaljordanproject says: Jan 29, 2014 7:33 AM

Martin also went on record saying that opposing defensive ends ” played to rough”

79. bonniebengal says: Jan 29, 2014 7:45 AM

Obviously a lot more than vulgar language went on. We haven’t even seen the report yet.

80. jason8er says: Jan 29, 2014 9:32 AM

Don’t forget Jonathan, Mummy and Dadums get 35%.

81. haywoodjablomee says: Jan 29, 2014 9:59 AM

I guess he missed the college class on “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” What a crybaby.

82. beachsidejames says: Jan 29, 2014 10:01 AM

Is there a sex change in this guys future?

83. edgarh21 says: Jan 29, 2014 10:39 AM

Jonathan Martin, you’re the weakest link goodbye.