Richard Sherman got his work ethic from his parents

richardsherman AP

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times has a good piece exploring Sherman’s family, and the parents who instilled his work ethic. Sherman’s father drives a trash truck and his mother works with disabled children, and Sherman said the example they set through their own hard work is a big part of who he is.

“I think it was incredibly significant,” Sherman said. “It forced my brother and me to understand priorities and family. You’ve got to do everything in your power to make sure your family is taken care of.”

Kevin Sherman, Richard’s father, is going to the Super Bowl. But he’ll fly back to Southern California on Monday and be back at work early Tuesday morning, and he says he has no intention of giving up the garbage duties just because his son has a high-paying job.

“People say, ‘Let your son take care of you,'” Kevin Sherman said. “Yeah, but I’ve got a few years left until I retire. Why would I mess up my own retirement? Why should my son have to foot everything? I have a medical plan that will cover me. Why should my son have to pay my medical bills? It doesn’t make sense to me.”

Sherman may be best known for his tirade after the NFC Championship Game. But Sherman never would have been in that position without a lot of hard work. And when it comes to hard work, his parents showed him the way.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
58 Responses to “Richard Sherman got his work ethic from his parents”
  1. philadelphialovescheesteaks says: Jan 28, 2014 7:39 AM

Very interesting!!

2. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 28, 2014 7:41 AM

Team Sherman on the charm offensive I see..

3. dfco74 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:42 AM

Hey Sherman next time you tip a ball and your linebacker makes the Int, be a sport and mention his name. Without Malcom Smith the game would have continued.

4. lynnko says: Jan 28, 2014 7:48 AM

how refreshing! people looking to take care of themselves and not looking for help elsewhere. the president would be none to happy with this

5. mdpickles says: Jan 28, 2014 7:49 AM

I view Sherman as an inspiration. Too bad most people will blindly dislike him.

6. blackqbwhiterb says: Jan 28, 2014 7:55 AM

“Richard Sherman got his work ethic from his parents”……This should not be a headline. It should be the natural state of every young man’s thinking in America.
    The fact that this makes headline news is a statement unto itself. I say, “Bravo” to Mr. Sherman and his parents.

7. walker615 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:56 AM

Don’t much care for Richard, but if every American had Kevin’s attitude this country would be a much better place.

Much respect.

8. comatrip1 says: Jan 28, 2014 7:59 AM

So does that mean every time his mother cooked dinner she slammed the plate onto the table and shouted, “Don’t bring that weak Broccoli stuff in here!”

9. sakatak says: Jan 28, 2014 8:05 AM

seems like the polar opposite of Russell Wilson, but it appears they have more in common that I thought. It is obvious Sherman is much more emotional.

10. touchdownroddywhite says: Jan 28, 2014 8:09 AM

Stand up guy that Sherman Sr. “I have a medical plan that will cover me. Why should my son have to pay my medical bills?” – Wonder how many kids parents give their boss the finger as soon as their kid gets drafted?

11. brazin99 says: Jan 28, 2014 8:12 AM

goog guy great player.

12. thelastwordyaheard says: Jan 28, 2014 8:22 AM

ah, no wonder he talks so much trash.. it’s the family business!

13. whentheleveonbreaks says: Jan 28, 2014 8:22 AM

Kudos to Sherman – and his parents. Especially his father who chooses to continue to work in light of his son’s wealth. What some people don’t realize is that getting up and going to work is actually good for you in the long run.

14. a49erfan77 says: Jan 28, 2014 8:25 AM

Hard work… and PEDs

15. radioactivechimp says: Jan 28, 2014 8:28 AM

Who did he get his insanity from?

16. qdog112 says: Jan 28, 2014 8:28 AM

Careful now. Too much info regarding positives about Sherman could start to erode the mountain of negatives we’ve worked hard to create.

“If you only know Richard Sherman as a shutdown cornerback for the Seahawks on the field and a loudmouth off the field, there’s a lot about him you don’t know.”

I see what you did there. You made sure the readers knew that you feel he is a “loud mouth”, so as not imply that you actually care about him. OK, got it. Oddly enough, I remember another brash, young black athlete, who people hated because he talked loud and backed it up – Ali.

Overall, I guess it was fair piece, but don’t forget, “I hate him”, rings loud and clear.

17. barneyfifeactionfigure says: Jan 28, 2014 8:30 AM

He works real hard at being an opinionated ass. His parents must be so proud.

18. r1zzler says: Jan 28, 2014 8:30 AM

You should of just said…. “He got if from his Momma….”

19. punksinplay says: Jan 28, 2014 8:35 AM

Enough already. He’s a good player and a smart guy but it’s getting boring now…

20. mudmandenny says: Jan 28, 2014 8:41 AM

So, where did he get his mouth and lack of social graces from?

21. peymax1693 says: Jan 28, 2014 8:42 AM

Sherman is almost the perfect role model for young people; he’s intelligent, hard-working, with a commitment to giving back to the community.

If only he could tone down the trash talking just a little.
    I was never a big fan of trash talking; I hated it when opposing players would do it, and I especially hated it when my own teammates would do it. More than once I had to step up and get between another player and one of my teammates because his big mouth got him in trouble.

22. fground says: Jan 28, 2014 8:45 AM

“a working class hero is something to be”

23. gottaplan says: Jan 28, 2014 8:50 AM

Where did he get his poor sportsmanship, me me me attitude and his arrogance?

24. footballfather says: Jan 28, 2014 8:51 AM

Where’d he get his ego, his self-righteousness and his arrogance?

25. puckthefatriots says: Jan 28, 2014 8:51 AM

He’s a good player who acts like a punk on the field.

26. packerfansarefat says: Jan 28, 2014 8:58 AM

Christ….SO tired of Richard Sherman protection…..WE GET IT. Everyone wants us to think he is a great guy….WE GET IT. So,…this story is about a father teaching son. Here is what my father would have said to me if I had done on camera what Sherman did: “SON, YOU’RE A GREAT GUY…WHAT YOU DID ON CAMERA WAS STUPID…IF YOU WANT PEOPLE TO FORGET ABOUT IT…YOU KNOW HOW YOU NEED TO ACT ON CAMERA FROM HERE ON OUT”.
    There…..end of story.

Good guy,…but mouthy….show everyone something else then…it’s not everyone else’s fault!!!

27. steelerprime says: Jan 28, 2014 8:59 AM

so they’re a bunch of steroid taking loud mouths too? go figure.

28. infectorman says: Jan 28, 2014 9:00 AM

Whatever,
    he also got his incredibly poor sportsmanship from them, too.
    your point is?

29. jwh8541 says: Jan 28, 2014 9:04 AM

Good people.

30. jimthebuilder27 says: Jan 28, 2014 9:08 AM

That’s impressive that he’s no trying to live off his son’s money.

I know a lot of people who would, but it’s awesome that he’s a hard worker

31. nomoreliesfortoday says: Jan 28, 2014 9:09 AM

His dad, Busta Rhymes, has been working his tail off since the leaders of the new school days!

32. thelastwordyaheard says: Jan 28, 2014 9:13 AM

ah, now we know why he talks so much trash.. it’s the family business!

33. moochzilla says: Jan 28, 2014 9:14 AM

90% of these people who hate Sherman absolutely LOVE Marshall Henderson’s “passion, fire, and attitude”. I wonder why?

But I agree, this story is plaaaaaaaaayed out.

34. filthymcnasty1 says: Jan 28, 2014 9:16 AM

Mom, Dad,

Was he always an embarrassing loudmouth?

35. penvik says: Jan 28, 2014 9:21 AM

Why are we talking about this moron. He had his chance to show the world who he was and he did, now why in the hell is the media trying to glorify this man. First impressions are everything and Richard decided to be a self centred POS, which is truly who he is. I have no respect for Sherman after the end of last game (and I hate the 49ers). Anything but a broncos win would be sheer disaster. Can’t imagine harvin and Sherman with rings. Lots of talents and no idea on how to act in public. Me, me, me attitudes.

36. jbaxt says: Jan 28, 2014 9:21 AM

Even his dad knows Sherman’s the type of NfL’er that will waste his career earnings by the time he’s 40. Instead of these large 3-5 year contracts they should force some sort of pension on these guys. Since they all come back with attorneys looking for more once they’re done anyway. Then if they come back after the NFL for future damages they lose that pension.

37. the1allpowerfulj says: Jan 28, 2014 9:24 AM

Here is the obligatory overreaction to the negative coverage D!ck Sherman got for shooting his “me first” mouth off. Like someone else said…WE GET IT. The Seattle media wants people to think he’s not the self-centered a$$hat his own actions make him out to be.

Got his work ethic from his parents eh? Too bad they didn’t teach him about being a good winner and a good loser.

38. seahawksbmx says: Jan 28, 2014 9:25 AM

A Steeler fan making steroid accusations; how ironic. Not one player on the Seahawks has ever been popped for ‘roids. Those Steeler teams of the ’70s & ’80s, however…

39. godofwine330 says: Jan 28, 2014 9:28 AM

@ Kevin Sherman “People say, ‘Let your son take care of you,’” Kevin Sherman said. “Yeah, but I’ve got a few years left until I retire. Why would I mess up my own retirement? Why should my son have to foot everything? I have a medical plan that will cover me. Why should my son have to pay my medical bills? It doesn’t make sense to me.”

Now that is a smart parent. Richard Sherman is only making a little more than the league minimum for a 3rd year 5th round draft pick. He hasn’t yet made “the big money.” In a few years his parents can retire and have health care from their jobs take care of them, buy them a nice condo (60 year old parents don’t need a 10 bdrm mansion with all of their kids grown). Next year or the year after Richard Sherman will get a contract extension making him among the highest paid at his position and I’m guessing that he’ll be good with his money.

@infectorman, To anyone who paid attention it was Crabtree who was the poor sport, and the cameras just caught a reaction which doesn’t truly show what the man is about. This is like watching 60 seconds of a movie and saying that you know everything about the movie.

40. drsportsjock says: Jan 28, 2014 9:37 AM

Some of the greatest athletes of all time had parents who were in the sanitation business. Mr. Sherman only adds to this pedigree. Thanks. -DrSportsJock

41. stonefish67 says: Jan 28, 2014 9:50 AM

Good for Sherman.
    He accomplished getting his name out there
    His parents should be proud

42. jbaxt says: Jan 28, 2014 9:55 AM

Let me get this straight. He’s got work ethic because his parents have normal jobs? What does work ethic have anything to do with people doing what they’re supposed to do? People are supposed to work, good for his parents for doing what most of us do every day.

But I am confused. Yesterday we’re supposed to feel bad for Damarius Thomas because his family sold crack and are in Prison, and now were supposed to feel bad for Sherman because his parents work for a living. WTF is going on?

43. nflofficeadmin says: Jan 28, 2014 10:04 AM

Q your thoughts are on point, but come correct on the approach. We’re trying to move past the Ali days brotha. Learn from the past, don’t live in it.

44. nicofthenorthstar says: Jan 28, 2014 10:09 AM

Too bad they didn’t teach him about sportsmanship.

45. pedskittle says: Jan 28, 2014 10:14 AM

The father clearly is on performance enhancers.

46. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jan 28, 2014 10:14 AM

Those who complain about trash talk are the type who have no spines.

47. realitycheckbaby says: Jan 28, 2014 10:22 AM

When Steelers fans talk of steroid use, we should all listen. They set the bar. Notice when their team doc got arrested, the team slid into obscurity.

San Fran fans, shouldn’t you be planning your vacation? Or maybe healing up from your beat down?

Greenbay , tell your corners to catch and you would have at least only lost in the NFC Championship.

48. listenup823 says: Jan 28, 2014 10:35 AM

I wonder where he gets his mouth from? “LOB!!!” Lol!!!!

49. carpalboss says: Jan 28, 2014 10:46 AM

I think to quote someone else “WE GET IT!” he’s a lovable teddy bear.

50. leatherhelmets says: Jan 28, 2014 10:56 AM

Richard Sherman is not a “good player”.
    He is a great player. Refreshing to have him in the league.

51. CKL says: Jan 28, 2014 11:01 AM

I’m really glad his mom and dad are getting some attention. What this story should show is that even if you grow up in a troubled area, if you have the consistency of a strong family unit with hardworking people raising you, you are much better off. Yes Richard Sherman’s ticket out was his athletic talent to a degree, but I think his non-athlete brother is doing ok for himself as well.

One of the biggest reasons this country is in the state it’s in is too many baby mommas and daddies and too few responsible parents. This trend is NOT a race thing in any way, it is a generational thing that spans all races.

52. jbaxt says: Jan 28, 2014 11:28 AM

Love the guys who want to bash Crabtree in one breath but give Sherman the “heat of the moment” excuse when he “act a fool” on national TV when interviewed.

Hi Pot, you’re kettle.

53. cornerstone2001 says: Jan 28, 2014 11:58 AM

did your parents teach you the ethics of cheating, putting illegal substances in your body, lying about doing so, being an obnoxious azz?

54. northstarsmitty says: Jan 28, 2014 12:01 PM

Judging by the likes and dislikes, it appears a lot of people are behind Richard Sherman. That also indicates the intelligence levels and character of these idiots and trolls out there haha. Sure, this guy has found success, is smart, so are a lot of people, so are a lot of other black people- they just dont run their mouths like a street rat. We will be pumped with feel good mirage stories. Get a grip. Hats off to his success and acheivements, he is fun to watch, but the man is a chump filled with arrogance. I dont care about his outside life one bit. Caring about Dennis Rodmans life though is a whoooole different story!

55. golforepar says: Jan 28, 2014 12:05 PM

The reason we don’t know things about Sherman is normal people don’t associate themselves with guys with a mouth bigger than his ego!

56. doctorrustbelt says: Jan 28, 2014 12:15 PM

… and he got his annoying act from chad ochojohnsoncinco.

57. 1historian says: Jan 28, 2014 12:33 PM

He was a loudmouth ON the field. That field is HIS turf and he had just finished defending it in the best possible way in front of an adoring, ecstatic home crowd and the fact that within seconds after the gun goes off 1,000 suits and skirts are getting in his face does not change that fact.

In shooting his mouth off he went a bit overboard.

Big deal.

58. johnnybewkhaki says: Jan 28, 2014 3:07 PM

I just don’t like what Sherman said and how he said it. I hope this level of showboating doesn’t become a fad.