Three in Super Bowl after surviving 0-16 2008 Lions

Denver Broncos Super Bowl XLVIII Media Availability Getty Images

For three players in Sunday’s Super Bowl, the chance to become the ultimate winner is fueled by having already been part of the NFL’s ultimate loser.

Three members of the 2008 Lions, who went 0-16 are playing this week — Broncos linebacker Paris Lenon and center Manny Ramirez and Seahawks defensive end Cliff Avril were all part of that special team which won none.

Avril said the long haul from 0-16 to a Lombardi Trophy was “the first thing I thought about” when the Seahawks won the NFC Championship Game, and Lenon knows all about long roads. He’s the last player left from the XFL, and he’s on his eighth NFL team in 14 seasons.

But none stick out more than 2008, and the way the team collapsed upon itself.

“I’ll say this,” Lenon said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “When you’re in a situation like that, you have a certain amount of guys that pack it in. That’s difficult for me because I’m not that type of person. I’m going to compete till the end, so that’s the most difficult part of being in a situation like that. Now, it’s complete reversal. . . .

“I can’t give you an estimation on the percentage [of guys that checked out]. I know that there are a good amount of guys who do. How you avoid that? I think it’s about who you are as a person, what your character is. It’s never been my character. I couldn’t even imagine doing it.”

You don’t stay in the league as long as he has following the path that he has without feeling that way.

But you don’t accidentally end up 0-16 if you don’t have plenty who do.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
13 Responses to “Three in Super Bowl after surviving 0-16 2008 Lions”
  1. wishingtonredslur says: Jan 28, 2014 9:15 AM

How to avoid checking out if you’re a football player: check your bank account and show some pride and maybe a little dignity too.

2. dtownsportslions says: Jan 28, 2014 9:15 AM

It’s so cold in Michigan

3. seahawksbmx says: Jan 28, 2014 9:19 AM

Avril went 4-0 on both preseason teams, but big difference in the ones that count.

4. gb4mn0 says: Jan 28, 2014 9:28 AM

Congrats to those 3 players. It would be a benefit to the NFC North to have the Lions win a Lombardi. It would complete the trifecta of teams in this division with a SB win that have true historical significance to the NFL.

5. unitasftw says: Jan 28, 2014 9:31 AM

18-1

6. jimmysee says: Jan 28, 2014 10:27 AM

I’m amazed Paris Lenon is still in the league!

Shows a lot of heart!

7. wstover says: Jan 28, 2014 10:34 AM

I’m confused.

8. axespray says: Jan 28, 2014 10:35 AM

How the Jags haven’t matched the 0-16 record is baffling.

9. shaggymarrs says: Jan 28, 2014 10:39 AM

Lenon didn’t just play in the XFL, he also played for NFL Europe too. He has been all over the place and it’s great to see that he is finally in the Super Bowl.

10. khmer379 says: Jan 28, 2014 11:05 AM

a Packer rather see the lion win the superbowl before my Vikings lol @GB4MN

11. lombarditrophies says: Jan 28, 2014 11:06 AM

So there it is; “Detroit Lions” and “Super Bowl” used in the same sentence. I will now go look out the window to see if there are any pigs flying by!

12. granadafan says: Jan 28, 2014 12:05 PM

I wish they would bring back the XFL. Vince McMahon (WWE) gave up on it waaaaay too early, and it was fun to watch. Who can forget “He Hate Me”?

The NFL really needs to support a minor league for players. No, the NCAA is not a minor league because their eligibility runs out. There are thousands of players in their athletic prime with nowhere to go.

13. pmars64 says: Jan 28, 2014 2:14 PM

I’m not a Lions fan, but I sure didn’t want them to go winless. I think that’s a stigma that’s hard to shake, if it can ever be done. The Saints are still sometimes referred to as the Aints, despite their recent success, and they were christened that lovely name almost 35 years ago!!

The Bucs still have some stench from their 0-26 start, too.

I have to say the Lions have passed on the baton of the most inept franchise in the NFL to my Browns. I don’t want them to go 0-16, but losing 10+ games in 10 out of 11 years is really painful nonetheless. This season I’m almost hoping they go 1-15 so Banner and Lombardi have to be fired. Those guys are just pure poison and I’ll be shocked if the Browns have success with those slimy guys in charge. The Browns need a true, experienced, competent football man in charge. Not some business wannabe hack whose ego lets him refuse to acknowledge how incompetent he is.