Ayanbadejo talks Super Bowl and marijuana

Ayanbadejo Getty Images

During a recent episode of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, we asked Ravens defensive lineman Chris Canty about the potential distractions presented by the Patriots traveling to the land of recreational marijuana two days before the AFC title game.  After the segment aired, a certain Hall of Fame player reached out to me via text.

“Did your network just ask that man if idle time in a weed legal state is a distraction?  On the eve of the greatest show on earth?”

As it turns out, it wasn’t much of a stretch.  Brendon Ayanbadejo of FOX Sports claims that some of his teammates were smoking plenty of pot in the days preceding the Super Bowl.

“I just remember getting off the elevator one night . . . and all of the sudden I just got hit over the head with fumes of marijuana on the entire floor of the hotel that the team was staying on,” Ayanbadejo said.  “I could just imagine there were a few young guys just toking it up in more than one room.

“I was like, ‘Man this is the week of the Super Bowl and you’re just going in?’  So then I was looking around, and I’m like ‘OK, where is the security?’  I looked and for some reason we didn’t have regular police.  Coach was smart enough to have rent-a-cops on our floor instead of regular police like we usually do.”

Ayanbadejo, who played in two Super Bowls, didn’t say whether the teammates played for the 2006 Bears (who lost to the Colts) or the 2012 Ravens (who beat the 49ers).

Regardless, it’s hardly uncommon.  Whether to unwind or to manage pain or to just kill time, plenty of players smoke marijuana in jurisdictions where it’s not legal.  When those players have time on their hands in states where it is, they’re surely going to buy a bud and blaze it up.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Chicago Bears, Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
10 Responses to “Ayanbadejo talks Super Bowl and marijuana”
  1. troybrown80 says: Jan 29, 2014 9:45 PM

Mike florio, you sir, are the man.

2. rcali says: Jan 29, 2014 9:47 PM

Well this explains all those “mental” mistakes the broadcasters are always talking about. That’s why the QBs are always screaming at their receivers for running the wrong route or DBs are looking at each other saying “I thought you had that guy!”

3. abninf says: Jan 29, 2014 9:50 PM

So the coaches are complicit.

4. ravenswhat says: Jan 30, 2014 7:14 AM

He still mad??

5. guitarkevin says: Jan 30, 2014 1:36 PM

People from all walks of life dig the ganja.

6. slaugin says: Jan 30, 2014 4:32 PM

This just in…People smoke Pot. welcome to 2014

7. TheBirdsAreBackinBmore says: Jan 31, 2014 6:18 AM

LEGALIZE

8. Ed Bandell says: Jan 31, 2014 1:00 PM

And Ayanbadejo I am sure didn’t partake of any of that, huh?

I personally don’t smoke anything. I don’t like the smell, and smoke of any kind burns my throat and eyes. I don’t really care if you want to kill your brain cells and destroy your lungs, but don’t do it around me. I don’t feel like getting a contact high or having to smell that awful odor.

9. crownofthehelmet says: Jan 31, 2014 4:39 PM

Hey Ed, you sound like the life of the party.

10. Ed Bandell says: Feb 1, 2014 10:36 AM

I am actually a very funny person and can be the life of a party if I want to be. But, people need to understand that you don’t need drugs to have a party. You are simply using “partying” to cover up the word you are really looking for, which is addict.

There is no such thing as a “safe” drug. Even prescription drugs. Worked in the industry long enough to know that and all you need to do is watch any advertisement for prescriptions on TV to know that. The one thing they have going for them is that at least you know what is in the drug.

You buy something off the street and you have no idea what is in it. Even if you grow your own, burning and inhaling anything is terrible for your health.