Golden Tate says he hopes to remain in Seattle

Golden Tate AP

Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate is set to be an unrestricted free agent after the Super Bowl.

Tate has posted his most productive season of his career in Seattle in helping Seattle reach their second Super Bowl in franchise history. Tate caught 64 passes for 898 yards and five touchdowns along with 51 punt returns for 585 yards.

Tate says he hopes he remain with the Seahawks after this season.

“I would really like to stay. It’s a great city, a great group of guys. From top to bottom, I can’t say enough great things about Seattle,” Tate said. “…I really would like to stay here, but we’ll see. Only time will tell.”

Whether Seattle can afford to keep Tate will be the question. The Seahawks committed a large portion of money to acquire Percy Harvin last offseason and have upcoming contracts expected for players such as Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman and Russell Wilson.

Tate has finally become the threat Seattle envisioned in selected him in the second round of the 2010 draft. While his future remains a question, Tate wants to put that question to the side for now, at least until after Sunday.

“There’s been guys that played 20 years that haven’t even gone to the playoffs,” Tate said. “I feel like it would be selfish for me to be thinking about my future and that would be taking away from this team.”

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
8 Responses to “Golden Tate says he hopes to remain in Seattle”
  1. fumblenuts says: Jan 29, 2014 1:43 AM

Tate BELONGS on the Seahawks…..pay the man!

2. mrwalterisgod says: Jan 29, 2014 1:55 AM

Well Golden I got to be honest buddy I want you back but not at your perceived price tag. If he went to NE or Denver or GB, somewhere with a high volume of passes I guarantee he’d crack 1,000 yards no problem. Talent and work ethic aren’t issues with him, we just don’t throw the ball enough.

Seattle needs a big, #1 WR. Badly.

3. backdapack4evr says: Jan 29, 2014 4:05 AM

Notre dame punk

4. ctiggs says: Jan 29, 2014 8:06 AM

They shouldnt be in the super bowl any ways. Goodell and his mafia conspired against the Niners.

5. seattlesue427 says: Jan 29, 2014 8:14 AM

I wish we could keep the whole team intact. It’s a ridiculous rule to move these players around like they’re commodities just for the sake of parity. Once a Seahawk (or any other team), the player ought to be able to stay put until he’s cut for non-performance. The salary cap simply guarantees instability and mediocrity for all.

6. touchdownroddywhite says: Jan 29, 2014 8:22 AM

Me-Hawks, huh? Lmao People crack me up!

7. beastmode5150 says: Jan 29, 2014 9:47 AM

Clemons. Miller, Giacomoni, mcquistan, rice will be gone, that frees up a ton of money.

8. ratsfoiledagain says: Jan 29, 2014 11:56 AM

seattlesue427 says:
    Jan 29, 2014 8:14 AM

********
    Why is it in sports we want the players to stay, and not have the ability to shop their skills and experience to other teams? Ya know, much like you and I sending out resume’s to gauge interest.

We view it as a sport, which it is. But, to the players, it’s their job. They’re looking to maximize their career earnings. No different than everyone else.

That being said, it would be nice if teams had the ability to resign their draft picks that they truly want to keep.

A rule where teams can go no more than 20% above the cap each year to resign their draft picks.

Any players signed via free agency fall under the current cap rules regarding salary.