Martin never talked to Philbin about the issues that drove him away

Jonathan Martin AP

In the interview with Dolphins offensive tackle Jonathan Martin that aired on NBCSN on Wednesday night, Tony Dungy asked Martin if he had talked to Dolphins coach Joe Philbin about the problems that eventually caused him to leave the club in October.

“I did not,” Martin said.

As Martin explained: “It was something I didn’t feel comfortable sharing because I want to be friends with my teammates. I worked hard to be friends with [offensive guard] Richie Incognito and others. I think it’s important that I build these friendships with your teammates. That was kind of my driving force.

“I turned the microscope back on myself. ‘What am I doing wrong to be treated like this? What makes me different?’ And I’m not different from any other football player.”

Martin is alleged to have been mistreated by teammates. After Martin’s departure, the club suspended Incognito for detrimental conduct, and the NFL launched an investigation about the Dolphins’ workplace conduct. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross indicated Tuesday that the findings of the investigation will be made public after the Super Bowl.

Incognito has said he got along well with Martin.

A little later in Wednesday’s interview, Dungy asked Martin to elaborate on why he didn’t reach out to Philbin.

Said Dungy: “If you were playing for me, and you had a problem, something was going on, and I was your head coach, I would want you to come to me and talk to me about it. You didn’t feel like you had that kind of relationship with Coach Philbin? . . . It’s hard for me to envision a guy who loves football not coming to his head coach and telling him about (this).”

“It’s the level of comfort,” Martin replied. “Like I said, I worked hard, for a year and a half, to be friends with these teammates, because I wanted to play football. That’s what mattered, is to play on the field. I put this out of my mind as though this doesn’t matter, right? This isn’t as important as what’s happening on the field.

“But then, just the (persistent) nature wears you on the point where it’s like if this isn’t changing, then I have to remove myself for my own health.”

Dungy’s line of questioning is something Martin could very well face if he plays again in the NFL. It’s logical to think a coaching staff will want to talk to Martin about the events that led up to his departure, as well as how he handled the situation.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Martin never talked to Philbin about the issues that drove him away”
  1. remyje says: Jan 29, 2014 7:51 PM

Sounds like he’s really nervous about maybe never playing again

2. promickey says: Jan 29, 2014 8:02 PM

Wow, Tony Dungy called Martin a liar. Well he did it in a Tony Dungy nice way but what does, “It’s hard for me to envision” What does that mean!

3. blacknole08 says: Jan 29, 2014 8:05 PM

Martin really needs to get over himself. It is embarrassing just listening to Dungy coddle this grown man when Martin was a willing participant in all of this.

If he had an issue he should have manned up and said something about it.

4. freepretzels says: Jan 29, 2014 8:24 PM

We’ll see if any team picks him up. That will tell us everything we need to know.

5. dolfanbolt says: Jan 29, 2014 9:40 PM

He didn’t want yo be a snitch but was ok destroying season, standup guy

6. dukeblue12 says: Jan 29, 2014 11:00 PM

He didn’t go to Philbin because that was who benched him in the first place.

7. princeopus says: Jan 30, 2014 12:33 AM

someone will take him,probably the steelers or the saints

8. theauger says: Jan 30, 2014 12:54 AM

Martin really is soft. He was just looking for a way without losing his payday & was throwing everyone under the bus.

9. doctorrustbelt says: Jan 30, 2014 6:53 AM

Dolphin owner saying richie incognito isn’t coming back tells us everything we need to know.

10. ravenswhat says: Jan 30, 2014 7:16 AM

Come on, philbin knew and didn’t care. How approachable was he?

11. mogogo1 says: Jan 30, 2014 1:04 PM

The guy just wasn’t cut out for the NFL. I don’t think he was treated any differently than any other player, he just didn’t take it as well. Wealthy parents, ultra-expensive private high school, then Stanford where he hung with other rich kids, followed by a gigantic culture shock when he hit the NFL. Not only was he totally out of his element, he was suddenly just another player trying to keep his job. Recipe for big problems.

12. fpstratton says: Jan 30, 2014 5:46 PM

Martin never told Philbin about the bullying because:

1. He dished out as well as received

2. There really wasn’t much to it.

3. He was embarassed to burden the head coach with such trivial matters.