Oatrick Peterson AP

There’s been little about the first three years of Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson’s NFL career that would lead the team to end their working relationship with him anytime soon.

The question is when they decide to lock Peterson up for several more years. He’s eligible for an extension now, but the team holds a fifth-year option on his services that they can exercise up to May 3. Barring an extension, there’s little chance that the Cardinals would pass on the option. It would pay Peterson a salary equal to that of the 10 best-paid cornerbacks in the league, which may wind up being less than they’d have to pay him as part of a contract extension.

Peterson said he wants to stick around Arizona for the long term and would love an extension this offseason, but that he knows that it may take a while because of the option in his rookie deal.

“I’m under contract for two more years, so I want to continue playing great football,” Peterson said, via ArizonaSports.com. “Whenever [General Manager] Steve Keim and [team president] Michael Bidwill address me and my agent, we’ll go from there. … Of course I would like an extension to stay here for a while, but it’s a business so we have to wait and see what happens.”

The cushion provided by the option in 2015 should allow the Cardinals to take care of other business first this offseason before turning their attention to Peterson.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Patrick Peterson on extension: I’ll continue to play great football and see what happens”
  1. cluelessdufus says: Jan 30, 2014 12:17 PM

Peterson is a top 5 (in my eyes a top 3) cornerback in this league. Extending him should and will be priority #1, otherwise there done for years to come.

2. kitnamania13 says: Jan 30, 2014 1:05 PM

The list of NFL cornerbacks who don’t act like complete jerks just got a little longer. I think we’re up to 1 now.

3. bradytoanybody says: Jan 30, 2014 1:16 PM

I love this guy. Wish the Pats had him. I think he is the true best corner in the game. Yeah he seems to struggle against Crabtree but that is tbe only player I have seen give him fits. All around he is much much closer to Primetime than that loudmouth in his division and he gets a lot less help around him. On top of it he presents himself well and has class. He is the complete anti Sherman. It’s impossible to hate this guy

4. geeoh2k13 says: Jan 30, 2014 1:31 PM

All-around great guy. He even got “The Honey Badger” to keep his nose clean in AZ. Between him, Dockett and Fitz, I hope they are all lifelong Cardinals!

5. granadafan says: Jan 30, 2014 1:35 PM

Dick Sherman should take lessons on how to act from Peterson.

6. darksidecowboy says: Jan 30, 2014 1:45 PM

The issue this offseason is what to do with Fitz and his $18 million. PP will have to wait until next season for his mega deal, which will happen.

7. sportsfangalaxy says: May 29, 2014 5:59 AM

Arizona cardinals would like him to be in the team, extending his contract a longer even after 2015 with excess $60 millions.