Kraft expects word soon on league’s Thursday package

nfl_thursday_night_football_logo_1379353641_full

Word could be coming soon on where you can see football on Thursday nights.

Via Albert Breer of the NFL Network, Patriots owner Robert Kraft said during an interview on 98.5 the Sports Hub that he expected an announcement on the league’s new Thursday Night Football package.

The league is auctioning off part of its inventory, allowing bids for multiple numbers of the games. The league’s hanging onto the simulcast rights, which will keep the games on NFL Network in addition to the winning bidder.

The league sent proposals for bids to all their broadcast partners as well as Turner Sports.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Kraft expects word soon on league’s Thursday package”
  1. joneil66 says: Jan 31, 2014 3:47 PM

Considering the simulcast stipulation, would there be 2 different broadcasts or would NFLN simply be showing the same broadcast, with the same crew as whatever network wins the bid? I’m wondering where Mayock fits into all of this. He is, in my opinion, a real quality analyst. would hate to lose him on the Thursday broadcasts.

2. slugbaitspace says: Jan 31, 2014 3:48 PM

Currently, the only times I can watch TNF (or MNF) is when my home team is playing.

Hopefully, they sell that “inventory” to a broadcast network, and not to a cable network. But I ain’t holding my breath.

3. chawk12thman says: Jan 31, 2014 3:56 PM

It isn’t whether or not Thursday night games should be played for the player’s safety, but will the NFL be able to sell the games even with simulcasting rights………It will happen and it won’t surprise anyone. Much too much money involved to stop.

4. ickabod665 says: Jan 31, 2014 4:32 PM

I’m surprised the NFL Network doesn’t simply give up all rights to the Thursday night package…..since that would free them up for the Friday night package. Which we all know is just around the corner.

5. slugbaitspace says: Jan 31, 2014 5:39 PM

The NFL won’t do Friday Night Football. Very low viewership…everybody will be at Friday Night Lights during that time slot.

High school football isn’t just going to go away, ya know. Can you imagine how pissed off the entire state of Texas would be if the Cowboys got scheduled for FNF?

Ain’t gonna happen.

6. kissmytaintpatriotsrule says: Jan 31, 2014 6:28 PM

I don’t know about Friday football but I could definatly see them bring back Saturday games. They used to always have a couple of Saturday games weeks 16-17 after the college football season ended.