Reggie Bush wants to play at least five more years

Green Bay Packers v Detroit Lions Getty Images

Lions running back Reggie Bush joined PFT Live on Friday to talk about his eight-year NFL career.

Yes, Reggie Bush has been in the NFL for eight years now.

The question becomes how many more years we’ll see a guy who has plenty of tread left on the tires, given the years that he was part of a committee in New Orleans.

“I feel good at this point, obviously I’m saying that because I’m not getting hit right now,” Bush said with a laugh. “I still feel like I can go, I don’t know how many years left, god willing I can play at least another 5 years. I would love to get at least another five years in.”

He realizes that he’s two years away from adopting a one-year-at-a-time mindset.

“That’s kind I what I’ve been hearing from some of the veterans and some of the guys who retired,” Bush said. “Once you get past year 10 you just kind of, ‘Ok, I’ll see how I feel after this year,’ and you just kind of take it from there.”

You can take it from here by watching the full interview.  Reggie also will appear in studio for Friday’s Pro Football Talk at NBCSN.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Reggie Bush wants to play at least five more years”
  1. punterturnedpiratelouieaguiarrr says: Jan 31, 2014 2:49 PM

Plenty of tread left? The dude’s had microfracture surgery on one of his knees.

2. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Jan 31, 2014 2:51 PM

Percy Harvin wants to play at least five more plays.

3. thefiesty1 says: Jan 31, 2014 2:51 PM

In Detroit? Will anybody know if you really did?

4. myworldurjuslivinit says: Jan 31, 2014 2:51 PM

What he really means: Reggie wants the lime light + $,$$$,$$$ for 5 more years; he actually doesn’t care about playing.

5. toddc612 says: Jan 31, 2014 2:52 PM

8 years? Really? It’s easy not to notice because he hasn’t done anything notable during that time. With any luck, he’ll continue 5 more years with us not knowing.

6. imbetteratlifethanyou says: Jan 31, 2014 2:53 PM

He gets to play Minnesota twice a year right now – how easy is that?

7. jwcarlson says: Jan 31, 2014 2:54 PM

Explosive player, but showed again last year that he just isn’t durable.

Joique Bell will be the starter there next year I think. Reggie was productive but seemed pretty much dinged up all year.

8. tennesseeoilers says: Jan 31, 2014 2:55 PM

Many fans forget that, moments before drafting Vince Young No. 3 overall, the Titans were on the phone with the Saints attempting to trade up to get Bush. I can’t help but wonder how differently things could’ve turned out: Billy Volek would’ve been the Titans’ starting QB and Chris Johnson wouldn’t have been drafted by them two years later.

9. grantsbuds says: Jan 31, 2014 2:57 PM

So easy to hate this guy.

10. thestrategyexpert says: Jan 31, 2014 2:59 PM

The only number I’m interested in is how many Super Bowls he wins with Detroit. But if that turns out to be zero then good for him to get those extra 5 seasons and the pay that goes with it. He’ll be set for life even better. That’s wonderful for him.

11. FlashPatterson says: Jan 31, 2014 2:59 PM

Uh Reggie, that 10-year thing is usually for players who… played for 10 years. You’re like an old 4th year guy.

12. tharoostah says: Jan 31, 2014 3:00 PM

Who would win in a fight?

Eli & Jim Harbaugh Vs. Peyton & John Harbaugh

13. seatownballers says: Jan 31, 2014 3:02 PM

As long as he stays away from Minnesota he’d have another shot

14. 2late2matter says: Jan 31, 2014 3:12 PM

I mean its not like Reggie puts up Billy (Sims) or Barry (Sanders) numbers.

Maybe he needs to ask Barry what it is like to be the tackling dummy in a Lions backfield (?)

15. jburk003 says: Jan 31, 2014 3:17 PM

He’ll be lucky if he can last in the league for 5 more years. He’s injury prone and has fumbling issues.

He’s not getting better.

16. chad504boy says: Jan 31, 2014 3:20 PM

Reggie will be a great NFL Contributor for many more years given he can stay healthy as well as hold onto the football. He’s a dynamic player that can get big gains but he’s also a player that can get these 2 yards first down type plays on the outside that very few players in the NFL can. He was severely underrated as a Saint, did well with Miami and had a great year with Detroit.

17. joeywoge says: Jan 31, 2014 3:20 PM

So many negative comments!! I’m a Jets fan. Wish i had this guy on my team. He’s a playmaker. All RB’s are getting hurt these day’s. It’s football. Half you people probably never played a sport in your life!! Give the guy a break!! Lions to the Bowl in 2015!!

18. elliottcovert says: Jan 31, 2014 3:20 PM

He doesn’t have a lot of total touches, so if he can avoid getting injured he’s got a lot left.

I’d say he could be a Kevin Faulk type player if he wants to.

19. BigAlHeBDMan says: Jan 31, 2014 3:27 PM

Thanks Reggie for the years in New Orleans. Yes there was a running back by committee approach, but You do have a Super Bowl ring to show for it and it did preserve you.

20. jaltreality says: Jan 31, 2014 3:35 PM

Wow, so much hate from you guys. Did you watch the interview? I thought Reggie came off well, even when plugging Sony. As a Saints fan, I wish him the best. He did well this year, as well as in his time with Miami.

21. annes22 says: Jan 31, 2014 3:36 PM

What a lot of negative comments about Reggie.
    I wish he had stayed in Miami, we missed him this year. Jeff Ireland is to blame for that, just another horrible mistake.
    The one problem he has, is injuries. He is hurt every season.

22. purpleguy says: Jan 31, 2014 3:41 PM

If he stays with the Lions 5 more years, he’ll likely get plenty of sleep with Caldwell boring him to death.

23. metrocritical says: Jan 31, 2014 3:53 PM

Sounds like a good goal, but, for the short run: Stop fumbling.

24. 202folife says: Jan 31, 2014 4:13 PM

With the way he ducks contact and runs out of bounds, piece of cake!

25. thetruthcampaign says: Jan 31, 2014 4:49 PM

I’d be surprised if they make Joique the starter while Bush is still on the roster and they need him to play a big role. Joique might get more work though.

26. ariani1985 says: Jan 31, 2014 6:22 PM

If i got to run over the Packers defense twice a year I would keep playing too. They should just contract turd bay or move em to LA I will never forget this past thanksgiving game. He He

27. rubenxx7 says: Jan 31, 2014 6:28 PM

Yeah so he can fumble more times

28. tictoccpthook says: Jan 31, 2014 8:49 PM

Reggie has earned great respect, deserved due to his talent, dedication, and character. Despite his will and dedication, the body can take only so much damage, and he is the recipient of hits by the best defenders in the NFL. So, please Reggie, retire before your body is damaged to the point of limiting the quality of life after football that you seaerve. 5 years is way too much, and the rewards are transient.

29. bert1913 says: Jan 31, 2014 11:50 PM

i can still remember when shelton brown hit reggie so hard that it made reggie crawl

30. dodohead418 says: Feb 1, 2014 3:51 AM

Due to his injury problem and butter fingers, I see him being a NFL expert in the next five years!

31. belleby123 says: Feb 1, 2014 8:43 AM

When he says “5 more years” how many games is he claiming he’ll actually play?

32. phinfan says: Feb 1, 2014 11:05 AM

The Miami Fan base misses him greatly… If he had stayed even at a lower cost we would have made those pesky playoffs for sure. As a ‘Reggie Fan’ I have to say he has a me vs the world attitude and hes darn right too because people think hes not a solid back. But dang hes good.

33. joec14 says: Feb 1, 2014 11:25 AM

He can easily get 5 more years as long as he’s willing to spilt time with Bell. If they both stay healthy we can get 2,000 plus rushing and 1200 plus receiving yards out of our RB spot.

I’d like to see Bell featured more to keep bush healthy, because Bush is to injury prone to do it all.