Philip Rivers voted Comeback Player of the Year

Philip Rivers AP

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers‘ return to top form in 2013 played a major role in San Diego returning to the playoffs for the first time in four seasons.

And now, he’s received some nice recognition for his accomplishments.

The Associated Press has voted Rivers the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year, the NFL announced Saturday night.

The 32-year-old Rivers threw for 4,478 yards with 32 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions and completed nearly 70 percent of his passes in 2013. He was sharp down the stretch as San Diego won four straight to make the postseason, throwing for nine TDs against two picks.

In the playoffs, Rivers completed 30-of-43 passes for 345 yards with three TDs and no picks in two games. Last week, he played in the Pro Bowl.

And on Saturday, he received more good news.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
30 Responses to “Philip Rivers voted Comeback Player of the Year”
  1. mcn88 says: Feb 1, 2014 7:04 PM

If eli can manage to cut his ints down by 20 or so he will probably get it next year

2. rodvmunchiii says: Feb 1, 2014 7:05 PM

What did he comeback from?

3. rajbais says: Feb 1, 2014 7:06 PM

I would have given it to Jason Peters.

Rivers is a great player, but two Achilles’ tendon tears in the same offseason for peters and he plays well, that’s a comeback.

4. jbl429 says: Feb 1, 2014 7:07 PM

What exactly did he come back from?

Terrell Thomas got robbed.

5. steelerfanforlife says: Feb 1, 2014 7:08 PM

So he came back from sucking?

6. rodvmunchiii says: Feb 1, 2014 7:13 PM

Revis came back from a terrible injury and was absolutely the shutdown corner that Bucs traded for – even playing for the idiot that is Greg Schiano. Still I watched every play of every game this year and it was noticeable when someone actually threw a ball at Revis because it rarely happened. I don’t know who the other candidates are, but in general I always thought comeback player of the year went to someone coming back from an injury – not just someone that sucked the previous year.

7. beachsidejames says: Feb 1, 2014 7:14 PM

Everyone talks like the Dolphins suck and they beat him.

8. nfl4days says: Feb 1, 2014 7:18 PM

rodvmunchiii says:
    Feb 1, 2014 7:05 PM
    What did he comeback from?
    ——————————————————————–
    A season where people were questioning if he was gonna be a charger much longer.

9. beachsidejames says: Feb 1, 2014 7:18 PM

Thats why I give it to cb Brent Grimes coming back from a torn achiles to then beat this guy who came back from just a bad season performance.

10. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Feb 1, 2014 7:18 PM

Is this serious?

11. hammerhead5573 says: Feb 1, 2014 7:29 PM

What a complete joke. This is a mockery.

12. mt10425 says: Feb 1, 2014 7:47 PM

Are you kidding me? Most of you jokers had SD trading him because he was DONE as a quarterback. To return to a form that challenged Peyton in most categories is, without question, a comeback. Some of you are just plain stupid. It’s not always about some injury, steroids help with that.

13. sdnative1904 says: Feb 1, 2014 8:11 PM

Philip Rivers does not like you.

14. johnnycantread says: Feb 1, 2014 8:21 PM

I thought Darrelle Revis would win.

15. chargerdillon says: Feb 1, 2014 8:26 PM

Did the Steelers get robbed of this too?

16. bears5683 says: Feb 1, 2014 8:30 PM

Yes 2011 and 2012 we statistically off for him, but comeback player of the year seems, well maybe. He was the guy just below the elite 3 years ago and then all the sudden he was middle of the pack and now he’s back to the guy just below the elite.

17. tcclark says: Feb 1, 2014 8:56 PM

Don’t get me wrong. I love Phillip Rivers, but Brent Grimes should have won this award

18. hess97 says: Feb 1, 2014 9:01 PM

thomas davis

19. dtownsportslions says: Feb 1, 2014 9:05 PM

Should of been Derrick Rose

20. fringetastic says: Feb 1, 2014 9:28 PM

This award makes no sense. What did Rivers come back from? Having a bad year. I can’t believe that counts.

21. edgarprado says: Feb 1, 2014 10:25 PM

Tiki Barber is flabbergasted.

22. tennfan says: Feb 1, 2014 10:29 PM

Just like Peyton Manning, what did Peyton do to deserve MVP ,each and every year ? Does this mean that nobody else in the NFL is ever going to come even close to winning the MVP award as long as Peyton is in the N F L ? Just what makes Peyton so much better than any other player in the N F L? I guess I am wrong or stand to be corrected, but I always thought that it always took 11 men on offense and a 11 men on the defense for any team to win games during the season. not just ONE MAN winning all of the games won during the season by themselves. But I guess I am wrong since Peyton does every thing by his self. That seems to be the impression that is given every year by electing Peyton for the MVP. Where you agree or disagree I am very, very sure that there are other players out there that deserve the M V P award much, much more than Peyton. But what do I know, i am just some old dumb country boy.

23. patsfan112 says: Feb 1, 2014 10:29 PM

This is why these awards are a complete joke. What the hell did Rivers “come back” from?? lol

24. kagey7 says: Feb 1, 2014 10:34 PM

So his team beat the Broncos once in the season and the chiefs in a playoff game and he gets comeback award? He hasn’t comeback from being a jerk.

25. thegregwitul says: Feb 1, 2014 10:50 PM

Strange choice to award Rivers the Comeback Player of Year honors over actual players who ‘came back’, such as Darrelle Revis (my pick), Brent Grimes, Jason Peters and Thomas Davis. Odd.

26. haytammy says: Feb 1, 2014 11:01 PM

I thought he’s always had pretty good years?

27. hess97 says: Feb 2, 2014 12:32 AM

thomas davis not getting this is a joke. and kuechy getting dpoy is a joke.

28. maximusprime107 says: Feb 2, 2014 12:30 PM

Thomas David not getting Comeback POY is a complete joke

29. eaglesw00t says: Feb 2, 2014 1:43 PM

Thomas Davis and Jason Peters got jobbed. A player playing bad is not a comeback player compared to the alternatives

30. axespray says: Feb 2, 2014 8:33 PM

Johnny Jolly had a drug addiction and about a year in prison – 3 years out of the league in total.

Came back – won his old job – helped the packer’s defense rank no.3 against the run in the 1st half of the season before He went down with an injury (along with Clay and Perry).

idk… I guess playing for Norv Turner is way more of a …. tougher obstacle to overcome I guess….idk.