Eddie George fighting “daily battle” with depression

NBCUniversal Events - Season 2014 Monica Pederson, Nate Berkus, Eddie George AP

Like so many players when they leave the game, former Titans running back Eddie George struggled with his own identity.

Without a schedule to follow or workouts to attend or games to play or coaches to instruct his movements, there was an emptiness.

While he’s on more solid footing now, George freely admits dealing with depression, and hopes he can help others through his experiences.

“It never got to those depths where I wanted to end my life, but I can certainty understand how some guys get to that point,’’ George told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “There wasn’t that instant success on the football field, where you worked hard all week and you have a victory and a great game on Sunday. There were some things I had to go through that weren’t necessarily helping me and my family out.

“I can certainly see where guys who don’t have the proper guidance or right mindset can take that turn for the worst.”

George said coping is still a “daily battle,” and will share his story on Showtime’s “60 Minutes Sports” tonight. He said the strain of stepping away from the football lifestyle endangered his relationships and family, something he wants to help others with.

“The way my career ended had an impact on me the first few years because I had no idea what to do next. It wasn’t really until about three to four years ago when I really started to turn around and become more responsible about where I was and not being in this funk, in this depression and so forth,’’ George said. “I was fighting demons and trying to get a peace of mind that did damage to me and my family, my wife. … Hanging out and chasing [women] and all the wrong things.

“All the things that served me as a player didn’t serve me as a man who’s 35, 36, 37 years old trying to redefine himself. Something had to change in me.”

That’s a common refrain for many players, but the good news is that George seems to have found the path back to a better place now.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
21 Responses to “Eddie George fighting “daily battle” with depression”
  1. tjacks7 says: Feb 5, 2014 12:29 PM

Boo hoo. People retire all the time. 99% of which don’t have millions of dollars to go do whatever they want.

2. 84fantrick says: Feb 5, 2014 12:29 PM

He must have gotten out of the funk when he joined the secret agent group!

3. soulmancer says: Feb 5, 2014 12:36 PM

It’s brave of Eddie to talk about his challenges publicly, so that others experiencing the same issues can know they’re not alone. Good luck to him, and anyone having a hard time dealing with the road they’re on in life.

4. titansbro says: Feb 5, 2014 12:41 PM

Man I get it. That lifestyle is beyond imaginable to all us regular joes. It’s gotta be hard to have it all of a sudden just stop when you’re still relatively young. That’s why guys who start working on their 2nd career during their playing days transition much easier. Just saw a thing about Keith Bulluck & how he is a successful real estate investor now. These 2 & Steve McNair are probably my 3 all time favorite Titans. Good to see Eddie is doing better & Keith is doing well. Steve… hmmm not so much sadly.

5. packerblitz says: Feb 5, 2014 12:45 PM

84fantrick says:
    Feb 5, 2014 12:29 PM
    He must have gotten out of the funk when he joined the secret agent group!

——————————-

I cringe every time that commercial comes on

6. chawk12thman says: Feb 5, 2014 12:51 PM

Hey Eddie, answer your phone……….It’s Peyton and he needs your advice.

7. rr2000k says: Feb 5, 2014 12:52 PM

….ever since Ray Lewis made him cry.

8. raiderrob21 says: Feb 5, 2014 12:53 PM

Was this because he and his 25 year old blonde “friend” got caught at 2am drunk driving? I guess his wife didnt appreciate that one and caused some depression?

9. oldirtyman says: Feb 5, 2014 12:55 PM

Cry me a river Eddie, Boo Hoo, I feel so sorry for Eddie and his millions of dollars in the bank. Try working construction for 30 plus years and not being able to retire because their is no social security money. I feel for you Eddie.

10. wwwmattcom says: Feb 5, 2014 12:58 PM

There’s a lot of love out there. Just give some away man. It will come back to you.

11. jaredl77 says: Feb 5, 2014 1:04 PM

Pretty ignorant and insensitive comments for the most part. I don’t think Eddie spoke on this topic to garner sympathy from anyone. So all you jealous wannabes putting him down, get a life. He’s simply putting out there a problem that many NFL players deal with post playing career in depression that likely stems from CTE.

12. realskipbayless says: Feb 5, 2014 1:14 PM

Good luck Eddie George. Go join a band or something. I remember you played drums.

13. jayhawk6 says: Feb 5, 2014 1:22 PM

What is his connection with Nate Berkus and the cute blonde?

14. daddyb1gdrawz says: Feb 5, 2014 1:32 PM

I suspect we will be hearing similar remarks from T.O down the road.

15. midtec2005 says: Feb 5, 2014 1:44 PM

No, T.O. will be 74 and still trying out for NFL teams.

Eddie was one of my favorite players. Go home Eddie, go to tOSU and help out. You’re a legend there.

16. patfanken says: Feb 5, 2014 1:45 PM

I have no problem with EG talking about depression and its effects, but it seems like he is trying to blame something for his actions, as if he had no choice in the matter. Also others will use his depression to create another excuse for the concussion case, as if all depressive players can link their depression to concussions.

NOBODY is willing to take responsibility for their actions anymore.

17. 49erdynasty says: Feb 5, 2014 2:00 PM

The number of trolls and bitter people on this site are at an all time high.

Eddie has always been a class act. Sure he didn’t necessarily have a regular job, but he’s putting himself out on a limb in efforts of helping others. Even if you don’t like Eddie, he may end up helping a player you do like.

For these guys transitioning to retirement is a huge ordeal. They’ve been in the spotlight and received weekly praise their entire lives and then boom, everything’s different.

There’s this monumental emphasis on concussions but what about the simple psychology of it all? These guys are trained to go out there and play. They get positive feedback from that and one day it all changes.

Best of luck in your efforts, Eddie!

18. thingamajig says: Feb 5, 2014 2:43 PM

I’m sure it was caused by concussions Eddie. So submit your papers and get in line for your payoff money.

19. magbastard says: Feb 5, 2014 2:59 PM

Or to put it another way: I got caught running around, then i got depressed when I saw how much it would cost me and that I , gasp, might have to get a real job, for which I have no education and no skills. So yeah, depression has something to do with it. I just don’t think he has he sequence right. Man up, tough guy. Noone has to be depressed to chase tail. Lots of happy guys do it too.

20. fdugrad says: Feb 5, 2014 4:33 PM

His situation makes sense to me. I am retiring this year after forty-two years as a public school teacher. I am sixty-two and MORE than ready and prepared to retire. When a pro football player stops his career he is a VERY young man, and has been so focused throughout life, he probably has very few options, and frequently only a partial education. Not only do the Monopoly-sized checks stop arriving every two weeks, but the phone stops ringing as well. If the player hasn’t been careful with his money, wasting most of it on fast women and slow horses, he is faced with some forty or fifty years in front of him, little financial security and NO market for his skill set. I can easily imagine why this situation could cause depression. I do not understand why The NFL doesn’t do something along the lines of my state regarding pensions. In addition to a defined benefit part, based on years of experience, we also have a defined contribution part as well, which mandatorily comes out of every paycheck, from a minimum of 7% up to 10%. When added to SS, this total amount is more than enough to live on comfortably. During my younger working years, I never thought about, or missed the money set aside for me. Seems to me this would be extremely simple to do for the players, enabling them to deal with impending retirement more on their own terms as opposed to “flying by the seat of their pants.”

21. bl00dwerk says: Feb 6, 2014 11:00 PM

We still love you here in Tennessee, Eddie…