Some relief for Kyle Shanahan to be on his own again

Shanahans AP

While working with your dad might seem to be a dream job, there were parts of it Kyle Shanahan got tired of.

Specifically, the insinuation that he didn’t deserve the offensive coordinator post on his father’s Redskins staff.

“I’m looking forward to it,” the new Browns offensive coordinator said Thursday, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “I think it’s gonna be nice when I hear the head coach’s last name and ‘S’ isn’t always tagged to the end of it – the Shanahans. So I’m looking forward to that part. But I’ve worked a lot of years in the NFL. I started out my career away from my dad. That was always a goal of mine, to prove myself before I ever coached with my dad, . . . I thought that I had proved myself. And it was something I always wanted to do in my life — I wanted to coach with my dad at one time. I enjoyed it. We went through some ups and downs, but it’s something I wouldn’t take back for anything.

“Excited to move on and be done with that part of my life, but I think it made me better, and it’s something I’m glad that I did.”

Shanahan had worked on staffs beyond his father Mike’s, but generally with people who were out of the same coaching lineage, such as his time under his dad’s old lieutenant Gary Kubiak in Houston.

Now that he’s coordinator in Cleveland, Kyle will have a chance to show just how good at his job he truly is — or isn’t.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
15 Responses to “Some relief for Kyle Shanahan to be on his own again”
  1. Coach John Harbaugh says: Feb 6, 2014 2:49 PM

this guy has a MASSIVE ego if it bothers him that much

2. louderthanwords1 says: Feb 6, 2014 2:51 PM

I’m not too sure too many people would call working for their dad a dream job.

3. brownsclown says: Feb 6, 2014 3:07 PM

Working with your dad was a dream. Working with Dumturdi and Joe Bummer will be a nightmare!

4. txtuff says: Feb 6, 2014 3:11 PM

As a Texans fan I can say that their best offensive year was the only year that Kyle had control over play calling, that was his last year there. Since he left the Texans offense started going down hill until it lead to this past year which was a joke. Given good players I think he will be an above average OC.

5. The League's Crusade Against The Steelers Continues says: Feb 6, 2014 3:12 PM

We have Super Bowl titles. Do you?

6. fishyinalittledishy says: Feb 6, 2014 3:13 PM

Couldn’t think of anything worse working with the old man. Mom would have to act as piece maker.

7. bbrophy1 says: Feb 6, 2014 3:15 PM

This is a good fit working for Pettine because he knows what it’s like to be in Kyle’s shoes. Kyle has always been an assistant on the offensive side of the ball working for a head coach that also specializes on the offensive side of the ball….Jon Gruden, Gary Kubiak and Mike Shanahan. Just like Pettine had to get out from under Rex Ryan and prove himself as a defensive coach in Buffalo working for an offensive minded HC in Doug Marrone, Kyle has that same opportunity to be the top guy on the offensive side of the ball working for a HC known for his work on the defensive side of the ball.

8. uglydingo says: Feb 6, 2014 3:16 PM

Working for your Dad who just happens to be Mike Shanahan with a diva QB in RGIII who just happened to have the ear of a bad owner in Daniel Snyder. Hmmmm…
    I think that Cleveland sounds a great place to coach.

9. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 6, 2014 3:17 PM

Kyle can stay up as late as he wants now.

10. pftbro says: Feb 6, 2014 4:11 PM

Now he can take Dad’s picture off his desk…

11. bert1913 says: Feb 6, 2014 6:13 PM

they say blood is thicker than water. must not be thicker than money. it was funny when the ship started to sink, kyle distanced himself from daddy pretty quick

12. donmcg2012 says: Feb 6, 2014 7:13 PM

Who cares, just win. I’m 55 and been a fan since I was 6. No more excuses please, just win.

13. themightywhitey says: Feb 6, 2014 7:33 PM

I am sure Kyle is happy to be away from that cry baby RG3 and out ……….AKA Coach Killer

14. hogheadgeez says: Feb 6, 2014 9:45 PM

Explain to me again how Robert is a coach killer and diva. Divas don’t work their tails off rehabbing a knee injury. Mike S. had two horrible seasons before Robert arrived, which is enough to get you fired in today’s NFL. Robert struggled this season, there is no doubting that but unfair labels and criticism for shooting commercials are unwarranted. With fresh eyes from new HC, no more cap penalties, and a healthy, progressive off-season from Robert will lead to a quick turnaround. HTTR!

15. jdphx says: Feb 6, 2014 9:52 PM

Too bad he still brings his “my way or the highway”
    attitude with him… Cleveland fans won’t put up with
    an awful lot of that!