Washington governor tried to console Manning, gets predictable response

Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning leaves the field after being defeated by the Seattle Seahawks in the NFL Super Bowl XLVIII football game in East Rutherford Reuters

The sting of a 43-8 defeat at the hands of the Seattle Seahawks was still setting in for Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos when Washington governor Jay Inslee noticed Manning walking the tunnels of MetLife Stadium late Sunday night.

Inslee saw Manning exiting the stadium with an understandably dejected look on his face after throwing two interceptions and losing a fumble on a sack.

Inslee – apparently feeling like he could cheer up Manning – decided to introduce himself and give Manning a pep talk.

“I just went up to him and introduced myself as the governor of the state of Washington and I shook his hand,” Inslee said, via Andrew Garber of the Seattle Times. “And I said ‘I know this is a really tough game for you, but there will be others and hang in there’ because I kind of wanted to console him.”

Manning wasn’t interested in Inslee’s olive branch.

“He looked down at me like he was going to break me in half,” Inslee said. “It was sort of like ‘whatever, dude’ and he walked away. My therapy didn’t work too well.”

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
56 Responses to “Washington governor tried to console Manning, gets predictable response”
  1. vikesdynasty says: Feb 6, 2014 11:13 PM

Hmm yeah just lost the Super Bowl, please try to cheer me up. Idiot.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 6, 2014 11:17 PM

Doofus went to Peyton and said, “Hi, I’m the governor of the State of Washington”.

Peyton put an arm around his shoulder and said, “I’m really sorry to hear that. I wish I could help.”.

3. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Feb 6, 2014 11:19 PM

Gee, I don’t know why a 17-year NFL veteran wouldn’t appreciate football advice from an idiot politician.

4. Dennis Allen's Outgoing Persona says: Feb 6, 2014 11:21 PM

Being a Raiders fan and obviously a Bronco hater I can’t blame Manning. Of course Manning is going to be upset (and rightfully so) after the beating he took. The governor of the state of the team just beat me and made me feel that way comes up to me and tells me to hang in there? Are politicians that dejected from reality to actually think a, “hang in there,” will make the worlds problems go away?

5. atheisticemetic says: Feb 6, 2014 11:32 PM

I honestly feel bad for Peyton Manning. His offensive line didnt stop much of anything in that game.

Had to abandon the run, which makes your offense predictable.

6. firstlisten62 says: Feb 6, 2014 11:39 PM

What a disrespectful jerk to a governor of a state! Talk about no class! Peyton Manning, you’re only a freakin’ football player having a big political figure shake your hand. Show some damn respect you moron! Get over yourself! How could anyone respect such a premadonna athlete? You’re an embarrassment and only add to most Americans belief that athletes are paid waaay too much money and are egotist, who think they’re more important the political figures, teachers, firemen, soldiers, law enforcement and other elected officials, who make our society tick.
    I used to have respect for you, now I think of you as no better than the poop on the streets. Grow up!!!

7. doe22us says: Feb 6, 2014 11:40 PM

Who are you again get lost?? The last thing Manning needed at that point was that..

8. wayneflores says: Feb 6, 2014 11:45 PM

Hell with Manning, he is just as arrogant as Elway.
    Their arrogance, and treatment of Tebow finally came back to haunt them. This was faith, so he can blow off whoever he wants, the Big Man upstairs blew them all off, and pay back was for the whole world to see. Easy to be a QB, when you are never rushed. Just a normal QB, when he was finally pressured, had to scramble and take a few hits. Retire before you get more Embarrassed. Elway just learned Manning wasn’t the savior.

9. drsimester says: Feb 6, 2014 11:54 PM

But instead of actually saying that, he likely nodded, said thanks, and quietly got on the bus

10. taintedsaints2009 says: Feb 6, 2014 11:57 PM

What? you think manning is all canned responses and cliches off the camera? You got the real manning there, governor. He doesn’t give a damn about you, and he shouldn’t have to.

11. stoneygroove says: Feb 6, 2014 11:59 PM

Ironically, if you had just lost the Governor race and Peyton Manning stopped to console you, you’d think that was pretty cool.

12. tombstone7 says: Feb 7, 2014 12:06 AM

Now we know where Richard Sherman gets his manners from….another bs compliment!

13. patriotinvasion says: Feb 7, 2014 12:08 AM

Crazy fact: 10 of the last 11 Super Bowls have featured Brady, Manning, or Roethlisberger. 6 rings in total. But now 5 of the past 7 Super Bowls have been lost but 1 of those 3.

14. seaeagle707 says: Feb 7, 2014 12:13 AM

Tell you what Jay, should you lose in a landslide and be called every name in the book by the Seattle media, I’ll come over and shake your hand, smile, and tell you, “better luck next time, little fella”.

That’ll cheer you up, won’t it, Jay?

15. parasolmonster says: Feb 7, 2014 12:15 AM

Whatever, dude.

16. hockeyfan28 says: Feb 7, 2014 12:18 AM

I know alot of politicians are slimy but man what a cheap way to try to score some political points I would have been more shocked if Manning was nice to you

17. irootforthecardinals says: Feb 7, 2014 12:27 AM

Are these people smoking weed yet? Why are they so talkative?

18. edelmanfanclub says: Feb 7, 2014 12:28 AM

Lol

19. donnymacjack says: Feb 7, 2014 12:50 AM

Doh…politicians, do they ever have good timing?

20. fnc111 says: Feb 7, 2014 12:52 AM

What do you expect Mr. Governor? It seems like you were being completely classless and rubbing it in. Grow up dude.

21. scw1993 says: Feb 7, 2014 1:07 AM

He could have at least shaken hands….good to know.

22. meatcarroll says: Feb 7, 2014 1:26 AM

Jay Inslee is an idiot and this is coming from a Washingtonian. You think any player wants to hear a motivational talk after coming off such a humiliating debacle?

23. mullman76 says: Feb 7, 2014 1:30 AM

I think your timing could not have been any worse.

What did you expect?

24. lasredchris says: Feb 7, 2014 2:10 AM

Shut up Inslee. Peyton is all class.

25. libradad53 says: Feb 7, 2014 2:17 AM

Timing is everything Governor. I watched the NFL Network FX with various players and both head coaches were mic up. When the game was over, Peyton made a point of shaking the hand of as many Seahawk players, telling them with grace and dignity what a fine game they played. Great example of sportsmanship. MY governor could have chosen better words. At that point, a pep talk was the last thing Manning needed. Manning is a class act.

26. thatfanyouhate says: Feb 7, 2014 2:45 AM

he used up all his class talking to Sherman

27. tatum064 says: Feb 7, 2014 2:46 AM

Timing, Gov. Its what politics is all about.

28. vicnocal says: Feb 7, 2014 3:12 AM

Cool story bro.

29. pfromvv says: Feb 7, 2014 4:23 AM

That line might have worked if Manning was a 11 year old in a Pop warner league. But he’s a grown man man who just lost probably the most embarrassing game of his life. Throwing in he was “the Governor of Washington” could have came off as being a smart ass.

30. natelan69 says: Feb 7, 2014 5:25 AM

The Mannings are epic crybabies.

31. johnnycantread says: Feb 7, 2014 5:29 AM

Nice story to be telling… Must be an election year.

32. jr4real says: Feb 7, 2014 5:30 AM

There are so many egomaniacs in govt. what a fool.

33. justareasonablevoice says: Feb 7, 2014 5:58 AM

understandable, right after the game isn’t the best timing. Everyone knows that Peyton is usually a very classy guy but who would be up to a pep talk after the game he had? Good intentions from the Governor but just bad timing

34. deathonwings410 says: Feb 7, 2014 6:37 AM

LOL, Pey-Pey doesn’t handle adversity well.

35. JackedUpSports says: Feb 7, 2014 6:50 AM

lol

36. Stiller43 says: Feb 7, 2014 7:23 AM

He’s almost a 40 yr old man. He can get over losing a game without a guy he doesnt know (who was obviously rootin against him) giving him a pep talk.

37. no1draftpick says: Feb 7, 2014 7:23 AM

smooth move Mr. Governor, tell a soon to be 38 year old QB that there will he others.

38. exboomer says: Feb 7, 2014 7:42 AM

While I applaud the govenor’s intent, being the govenor of the state of the team who just stomped on you on national TV definately should of known better that to pick that time to talk to Manning.

39. rikkyt00 says: Feb 7, 2014 7:44 AM

??? Did u learn that from Richard Sherman???
    Washington…keep the joy “in house”

40. rhamrhoddy says: Feb 7, 2014 7:57 AM

What did he expect?

“Gee whiz mister, you really think so? Other games? Golly, I never thought of it like that. You know what? I’m going to practice extra hard. Gee thanks! Thanks a lot mister!”

41. tp3636 says: Feb 7, 2014 8:32 AM

Good find.

A politician rooting for the other team who thought by introducing himself minutes after the game he could smooth the bitter disappointment of losing a SB.

How rude of Peyton to not invite him over for drinks after the game.

Very insightful reporting

42. randall1971 says: Feb 7, 2014 8:32 AM

Well, he has heard that same speech 11 other times

43. nfl4days says: Feb 7, 2014 8:41 AM

If Sherman did this he would be torn apart even more.

44. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Feb 7, 2014 8:57 AM

how about post a lineup of possibilities and see who can pick governor whats-his-name out?

just another way to get his name in the paper. surprised he didn’t report his pre-game pep speech to russell wilson….

45. melikefootball says: Feb 7, 2014 9:00 AM

Lets see we pat Manning on the back for seeing how Sherman is but the Governor wants to say something nice and it is wrong. Manning did not seem to be the best loser by all reports of things after the game.

46. bert1913 says: Feb 7, 2014 9:52 AM

after the game manning said he wasn’t embarrassed, as a washington state resident i am embarrassed after reading this story

47. nfloracle says: Feb 7, 2014 10:20 AM

Peyton was too embarrassed by the beat down handed to him by the Seahawks to spout his usual phony humbleness BS.

By the way, where is Manning? He hasn’t poked his head out since Sunday’s trashing. Shoot, I haven’t even seen him in a pizza commercial with that idiot Pappy John. Now, that duo is a true embarrassment. What a couple of phonies, making money hawking pies that would choke a maggot.

48. Davo says: Feb 7, 2014 10:20 AM

…he then when on to shout:

“I’M THE GREATEST GOVERNOR IN THE WHOLE UNITED STATES!!!!”

49. somethingsmellsrotten says: Feb 7, 2014 10:43 AM

Sore loser that egomaniacal MegaHead…

50. coprock12 says: Feb 7, 2014 10:49 AM

I am a Hawks fan, and live in Washington. Jay, that was a stupid move! Really, where do you get off. Most Politicians these days don’t even know how to do their job, much less advise someone else about their future!! For what it’s worth, I didn’t vote for him!!!

51. supesfan34 says: Feb 7, 2014 11:01 AM

Typical Inslee. I’ve been voting against that sleazebag for a couple of decades and he just won’t go away!

52. jacqvoncc says: Feb 7, 2014 12:10 PM

So, if Peyton and the Denver Mannings would have won and the Governor approached him to say good game, do you honestly think for one second he would have acted the same way? Highly doubtful. He would have probably shook the man’s hand and said thanks. Grow up and accept defeat Old Man. Surprised he didn’t pull a Crabtree and push him in the face.

53. doubleogator says: Feb 7, 2014 12:25 PM

Manning didn’t shake hands with Brees or any other Saints player after losing to them in the Super Bowl. He’s not who he pretends to be…

54. 88ibis says: Feb 7, 2014 6:32 PM

Long time Washington resident, Seahawk fan, and Manning fan here.

I always refer to Jay Inslee as our Douche in Chief. I’ve met him several times, he’s so self-important its sick. If Manning had broken him in half, I would have contributed to his defense fund.

55. kev86 says: Feb 7, 2014 6:50 PM

Beats being approached by Spitzer

56. gymtruthteller says: Feb 8, 2014 8:49 PM

Manning is an adult. Tell to act like one