Draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay

Sam Getty Images

In 10 days, the NFL will descend on Indianapolis for the Scouting Combine, a year after multiple incoming players reportedly were asked about their sexuality.

For one of the players attending this year’s Combine, the answer has been provided without the question being asked.

Missouri defensive end Michael Sam has come out as gay, capping a football season that began with Sam sharing his sexual orientation with his teammates.

“I just want to make sure I could tell my story the way I want to tell it,” Sam told the New York Times.  “I just want to own my truth.”

The SEC co-defensive player of the year struggled at the Senior Bowl with a move from defensive end to linebacker.  He’s still regarded as a third-round prospect.

“I’m not naive,” Sam said. “I know this is a huge deal and I know how important this is.  But my role as of right now is to train for the Combine and play in the NFL.”

It will be difficult for Sam to focus on that role, at least in the short term.  Instantly, his name will take on a Manzeillian magnitude at the Scouting Combine, with Sam’s press conference destined to be as busy as Manti Te’o’s session in 2013.

The media then will shift its focus to whether Sam’s declaration will help him or hurt him.  Ideally, it will have no impact.  But we’re not naive, either.  Some coaches, General Managers, and/or owners will be inclined to shy away from being the first locker room to welcome openly gay player, even if none would ever admit it.

For that reason, Sam took a courageous path.  (Outsports.com tells the story of how Sam made the decision to come out now.)  He could have kept it hidden until after he was drafted.  Instead, he opted (as he has said) to own his truth.  And now whoever drafts him will be selecting — and accepting — Sam for who he is.

At a time when NFL teams seem to be obsessed with avoiding distractions, here’s hoping that someone will see this as an opportunity to help get sports to the point where having an openly gay player isn’t regarded as a distraction.  Ideally, here’s hoping that Sam ultimately is picked because he can help a team win games.

Permalink 201 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
201 Responses to “Draft prospect Michael Sam comes out as gay”
  1. newenglandsports11 says: Feb 9, 2014 8:51 PM

His courage is laudable. Incredible bravery from this young man, and wish him nothing but the best. Unfortunately, there are still bigots like Chris Culliver and Mike Priefer in this league. I hope he rises above them all and kills it in the NFL.

2. theworkhorsebackdotcom says: Feb 9, 2014 8:54 PM

What he does on the field will matter more than what he does off of it.

3. canetic says: Feb 9, 2014 8:54 PM

That is a bold decision. It will be interesting to see how his draft plays out. When can I buy a jersey?

4. azjam says: Feb 9, 2014 8:54 PM

Could care less, can he play football at the NFL level is what really matters.

5. blacknole08 says: Feb 9, 2014 8:55 PM

Good for him. He’s human first just like everyone else. Props to him for coming out and choosing not to live his life in secrecy.

6. chawk12thman says: Feb 9, 2014 8:55 PM

He will undoubtedly drop in the draft due to the media attention he will draw. If the media treated this without turning it into a circus, he has a chance. If not, not.

7. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 8:55 PM

Good for him. What he did takes a lot of courage. Hopefully other gay athletes (in all sports) come out and we can advance as a country.

8. govtminion says: Feb 9, 2014 8:56 PM

Wow. That’s… incredibly bold, to say the least. Whatever his talent level is like, if NFL locker rooms are looking for players with good heads on their shoulders and integrity, they’ve found their guy. I’m impressed- this can’t have been easy for him to take public like this.

9. elwaysagenius says: Feb 9, 2014 8:56 PM

Might have been smart to wait until after the combine. His interview will be similar to Teo’s last year

10. 6andcounting says: Feb 9, 2014 8:57 PM

The media cares more about this stuff than the average person. They love to label people.

11. chunkderrrty says: Feb 9, 2014 8:57 PM

BAM! kluwes thunder is gone. now he will finally fall into obscurity

12. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 8:57 PM

theworkhorsebackdotcom says:
    Feb 9, 2014 8:54 PM
    What he does on the field will matter more than what he does off of it.

________________

That should be true. But some people feel they have the right to tell someone how to live because their book of fairy tales says it’s bad.

13. paulz624 says: Feb 9, 2014 8:57 PM

This guy is projected to be a 4th or 5th round pick and it’s a braking story on Espn and other networks, what team would want all this distraction? its ridiculous! it seems like the whole sports world stopped to focus on this, it’s a great PC story but I hope my team doesn’t draft him, we don’t need the baggage.

14. clarencewhorley says: Feb 9, 2014 8:57 PM

I am glad he came out, because everyone should be who they are.

But Mike F is already setting up his straw man Republican white racist man argument. Everything i read before today had him as a 3rd to 7th round pick. He is short for his position, seen several draft experts have him in the 6th round.

But by Mike having him 3rd here he has alrwady written his next 5,articles

15. stevenreichert says: Feb 9, 2014 8:57 PM

Congrats to Michael Sam. I’m glad he’s coming out and living openly and proudly. There is a dark cloud hanging over so many gay players. I hope they all come out and get it over with already. Then we can get on with playing football.

16. armchairqb says: Feb 9, 2014 8:58 PM

He better be pretty darn good to be worth the crazy media circus that will descend on the team that drafts him.

I wonder if that will make some teams think twice.

17. sunzu717 says: Feb 9, 2014 8:58 PM

He just dropped two rounds, possibly more depending on the circus that will now be attached to him forever. That’s the reality of the world we live in like it or not.

18. infinitig says: Feb 9, 2014 8:58 PM

Not sure why this is necessary. We don’t sit around the office and wonder what a football players sexual preference is. He would have been better off just by saying nothing.

19. samapoc says: Feb 9, 2014 8:58 PM

This shouldn’t be news, but it is huge news because it has to be. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I predict that the bigots will go away quickly. I sincerely hope that nobody trash talks about it on the field, but I suspect someone will.

20. andrewlucksneard says: Feb 9, 2014 8:58 PM

Will all the criticism of the “circus” surrounding Tim Tebow also apply to Michael Sam?

21. thevikesarebest says: Feb 9, 2014 8:58 PM

Most packer fans come out as diabetic.

22. idolized1 says: Feb 9, 2014 8:58 PM

All that matters is if he can play or not.

23. revren10 says: Feb 9, 2014 8:59 PM

Wonder how this will affect his draft stock.

24. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 8:59 PM

6andcounting says:
    Feb 9, 2014 8:57 PM

_______________
    Go read the comment section on this site and others. I’m sure you’ll see plenty of people “care”. And by “care” I mean demonize him for the way he was born.

25. mitchem85 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:00 PM

Good for him! Hope he has a great career. I’m not gay, but I’m not naive enough to think that throughout the history sports, some if the best players were prob gay. Just because it’s hidden doesn’t mean it’s not there. We should all just accept it and move on. The only difference will be people knowing, and having to accept it

26. kwjsb says: Feb 9, 2014 9:01 PM

1) Should have waited till after the draft.
    2) Does he now get a separate locker room?
    3) Why is it anyone’s business who you are poking?

27. hehateme1 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:01 PM

Good for him. Proud of him actually. It’s unfortunate that this is even an issue or topic of discussion. The media can be annoying.

28. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 9:01 PM

andrewlucksneard says:
    Feb 9, 2014 8:58 PM

___________________

Comparing him and Tebow means you don’t get it.

29. timb12 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:02 PM

If GMs stray away from him it’ll be because of his play and the distraction he would cause.

30. eldritchblast says: Feb 9, 2014 9:02 PM

Brave choice. I’d love to see him in NY Blue! Giants love getting LBs in late rounds and free agency, over the last decade. Good locker room, good city for him to join.

31. dickshotdogs says: Feb 9, 2014 9:02 PM

Third round? Try UDFA.

32. descendency says: Feb 9, 2014 9:03 PM

No one is (from an NFL executive spot) going to draft a guy because he’s gay. It adds nothing to his football skills (admittedly, it takes nothing away – either), but some will (potentially) be bigoted about it and drop him from their boards.

I can say I would be annoyed by his announcement’s timing. Once drafted, the situation might be a bit better timed but before the draft looks bad. Really, there is never a good time to make an announcement that could be a distraction to your team, so I guess he did what he thought was best.

I wish him the best and I hope it doesn’t hurt him.

33. lotusfather says: Feb 9, 2014 9:03 PM

…Surprised to see there aren’t any “tight end” jokes yet…

Meh.

34. thevikesarebest says: Feb 9, 2014 9:03 PM

Meanwhile kluwe is still jobless and packer fans are still fat.

35. dapell says: Feb 9, 2014 9:04 PM

I can see the Rooneys drafting him just to be the first team with an openly gay player. They seem to be the (comparatively) most liberal and progressive ownership group of any NFL team.

36. taylorgangtrippymane says: Feb 9, 2014 9:04 PM

Gay people strictly do this for attention. It’s there personal life, they don’t have to tell anybody about this kind of stuff. I get the whole get it off your chest thing, but if you don’t care that you gay then why tell everyone and make it a distraction? Just keep to yourself. No one else says personal things like what kind of food they prefer, dog or car lover, fetishes. It’s irrelevant. Keep it to your family and friends and don’t tell the world.

37. hehateme1 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:05 PM

I must say that it’s nice to read such positive comments about people supporting him. All that matters is if he can play. Shouldn’t be a story. Good for him.

38. slobberknocker says: Feb 9, 2014 9:05 PM

Hope his locker is not next to Incognito.

39. taylorgangtrippymane says: Feb 9, 2014 9:06 PM

Their* cat*

40. fr0sted21 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:06 PM

It’s a shame that the media will use this to no end to accumulate online page views.

41. eatitfanboy says: Feb 9, 2014 9:07 PM

It smart to come out and let the media circus play out before the draft. A GM who may be wary of said circus descending upon their team may feel that by the time May rolls around (which is when the draft is this year) things will have calmed down

I personally wish him well.

42. noringcircus says: Feb 9, 2014 9:07 PM

The Raiders have always been one of the pioneers when in comes to bringing in players that are not mainstream. I won’t be surprised if the Raiders draft him since the team needs at least two defensive ends.

43. noburghfan says: Feb 9, 2014 9:07 PM

You can play in the NFL or you can’t !! Gay or
    not does not matter !!

44. alldonesmith says: Feb 9, 2014 9:11 PM

Good for him!!!

45. grudenlikesme says: Feb 9, 2014 9:12 PM

He is a person just like the rest of us no matter who he chooses as a partner. What he did takes courage that 100′s of previous players have been scared to admit. Hopefully this gives them the strength to join this young man and get the monkey off their shoulders. Best of luck to ya kid, I will be rooting for ya !

46. wtfchiefs says: Feb 9, 2014 9:14 PM

If a team ever cuts him there will be a lawsuit.

47. it's all bs says: Feb 9, 2014 9:15 PM

Dayum…what a brave young man….hope my steelers draft him and for the haters saying he should just keep it to himself or who cares: we live in a straight world and until we are ALL equal it will be in the news…..deal with it or get OUT…equality is what this country is all about…there are daily flights to Russia from the US….good luck to you with your new comrades in your new mother land:)

48. SilentMajority says: Feb 9, 2014 9:15 PM

Good for him! Get it out in the open, and hopefully over with so he can concentrate on his job instead of letting all the whispers and rumors to follow him around and distract him.

49. redbearwoodall says: Feb 9, 2014 9:16 PM

At least he has potential to be a good player and isn’t doing this only for the attention. *cough* *Jason Collins* *cough*

50. stoneygroove says: Feb 9, 2014 9:18 PM

I am a Christian who is proud to love Jesus. I sin every single day of my life. So does Michael Sam. So does Tim Tebow. I choose not to judge anybody else, including Michaels Sam, when I have my own struggles to overcome.

51. eviltwin007 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:18 PM

I just want to come out and say “I’M STRAIGHT”.
    There I said it, whew!!! Glad to get that I’m off my chest. I hope society accepts me for who I am and not who I sleep with because quite frankly, IT’S NOBODY’S BUSINESS!!!. Get that people who want to come out. I for one and the rest of society don’t care who you sleep with or why you feel it’s necessary for me or the world to know. Who you sleep with rather you are straight or gay is NOBODY’S BUSINESS BUT YOUR OWN!!! Why do these gay celebrities or athletes think that we “society” think we should know this. Who cares what society thinks. I don’t and most people don’t either, except for the four letter network and this website. Boy these two entities will make something out of nothing. I’ve never seen anybody that can make a mountain out of an ant hill.

52. monkeyhateclean says: Feb 9, 2014 9:19 PM

Its courageous and newsworthy now.

Someday, it will be neither.

Can’t wait.

53. mkbane says: Feb 9, 2014 9:19 PM

As a human being, I admire his courage as he will have to deal with a lot of attention in his life that is not focused on his ability to play football. As a football fan, I couldn’t care less about his sexual orientation. If he can make an impact on the field, draft him. If he can’t, draft someone else.

54. jredshoes says: Feb 9, 2014 9:20 PM

Who cares if he’s gay. I’m more appalled by the fact he’s a Missouri Tiger

55. eviltwin007 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:20 PM

dapell says:
    Feb 9, 2014 9:04 PM
    —————————————————
    Hence the “Rooney Rule”!

56. GenXJay says: Feb 9, 2014 9:20 PM

he’ll fit right in @miami. Incognito will welcome him with open arms.

57. tyler4richardson says: Feb 9, 2014 9:20 PM

Yeah, lol. Being gay is a small distraction compared to what half of these idiots get up to.

58. beardinals says: Feb 9, 2014 9:21 PM

The question no one’s asking:

Does he play Mike or Sam linebacker?

59. dmvtransplant says: Feb 9, 2014 9:21 PM

If he gets drafted by the Vikings, Chris Kluwe’s lawsuit with probably go away

60. chawkup says: Feb 9, 2014 9:21 PM

Good for him! In another year or two, this will not be news and most certainly won’t be a distraction. Glad Mr. Sam had the courage to be the first.

61. FinFan68 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:21 PM

It may be a big deal for the media but it is in no way “important”

62. commonsensedude says: Feb 9, 2014 9:22 PM

I could care less what a player does in their private life. However, the certain celebration of his disclosure by activists and the media is pretty amazing. This is basically the liberal media’s equivalent of the moon landing.

63. kombayn says: Feb 9, 2014 9:22 PM

Good for him. My godfather is a gay man, and the sad part all about this is the fact that it’s Male/Male partnerships and what they do behind close doors that people have the problem with.

Now people still look down at Lesbians but it’s widely more discriminated, I think against Gay men. That’s what the real problem is, hell a lot of males like seeing two women with each other.

It’s the two males in public that gets the bad attention and unwarranted attention. I’m glad Michael Sam came out before the combine, it’s good for the LGBT community and the movement socially for gay athletes, no one cares who isn’t a bigot.

At the end of the day, I understand people don’t want it shoved in their face everyday but it’s not for us people who accept people for who they are. It’s the others that are bigots and don’t treat others as equals.

Those are the people that need to be in the spotlight and need to be scrutinized for their hateful attitudes towards others.

Good luck, god’s speed and kick-ass in the combine, Michael Sam.

64. kyblue33 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:22 PM

Brave, hmmmm not soo much. He stated he fessed up because so many people knew, it was going to come out. I am really tired of this. He can be gay, and let others be proud of what they are, straight men. If he can play, so be it, if not, no excuses!

65. jikkle49 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:23 PM

Now all he has to do is say the Redskins need to change their name and Florio’s head will explode.

66. lotusfather says: Feb 9, 2014 9:23 PM

I do wonder how many teams will take him off their boards after this.

With as religious as some coaches and players are.

Will teams with guys like Andy Reid and Bruce Arians running the show want an openly gay player on their team?

You know they are all going to say the right things when asked but that doesn’t mean anything.

Aaaand, if they pass over him for a clearly inferior prospect in the draft they can and will use the “distraction he would cause” as an excuse.

It is too bad.

67. crownofthehelmet says: Feb 9, 2014 9:24 PM

That’s so great and progressive that this wonderfully open society of ours is accepting of him. I mean, who wouldn’t want to know about his orientation. In fact, my wife and I have a press conference scheduled for tomorrow to announce to the world that we’re not gay.

It will be another 10 years before the locker room accepts it. This guy signed his own blacklist.

68. touchdownroddywhite says: Feb 9, 2014 9:25 PM

Two things here: Anybody saying he should’ve waited til after he was drafted is ignoring the fact that that makes him a huge thorn for starting the circus later rather than sooner. At least now it has time to grow legs and get tired, at least a little bit, before the season.

I also wonder if this will actually help his draft stock because the team that drafts him instantly becomes a media darling IMO for open mindedness and staying true to human rights…

69. edelmanfanclub says: Feb 9, 2014 9:26 PM

Who cares that he’s gay? All I care is if he can rush the passer. If his stock plummets based on anything but his football skills, that’s just pathetic.

70. chiadam says: Feb 9, 2014 9:27 PM

If he can help a team, and he can, then who cares? Even if he can’t help, who cares? Gay people aren’t hurting anyone by living their lives, so leave them alone. And if anyone stupidly thinks he’s soft now, go ahead and tell him that.

71. geeandpoquito says: Feb 9, 2014 9:27 PM

If anyone thinks he’s the only gay player in the NFL has their head in the sand. I guarantee that he won’t be the only gay man on whatever teams picks him. And here’s the truth: most of the teammates of the closeted gay players know what the truth is and really don’t care.

72. oldcracker says: Feb 9, 2014 9:28 PM

Good for him. Get it behind you and no one can hold it over your head.

I just hope I can live long enough to see where this is no longer news….and my Browns in a SB. :)

73. eviltwin007 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:28 PM

Could you imagine if this guy was a center and the QB behind him? Oh the jokes with that one.

74. raiderapologist says: Feb 9, 2014 9:28 PM

Initially it seemed to me like bad timing on his part, but no matter when he comes out there will be a poop storm of media attention, so it’s probably as good a time as any.

75. pacificnw7722 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:29 PM

Jeff Ireland would ask him if he gets “excited” in the showers.

76. lks311 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:30 PM

Someone’s going to get an awesome bargain and the end of the 5th or the top of the 6th round.

And because he loves the attention, I’m guessing he ends up with Jim Irsay’s Colts.

77. mkelly534 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:30 PM

He is very courageous for announcing this before the draft but I do believe it will hurt him far more than it will help him. I suspect he will be drafted several rounds later than his talent dictates because of the risk averse GMs out there. Somebody may get a steal but he has certainly set himself up for a lot of pressure and scrutiny. I wish him luck.

78. bigjim50010 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:31 PM

The Minnesota Vikings pick in the first round is…..

79. bobzilla1001 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:31 PM

Finally, a player Skip Bayless can actually “love him some.”

80. shadowcell says: Feb 9, 2014 9:32 PM

Well, good for him! Hopefully this won’t hurt his draft stock. And hopefully this will help us reach the day when announcing that you’re gay doesn’t have to be courageous.

81. greatestryan says: Feb 9, 2014 9:32 PM

Great agent!!! Even if the player has an average 2 and a half year playing career, the agent can still milk out dollars through speaking opportunities, marketing opportunities, and media spots. After his career is over, even after just one play, he is now the GO-TO guy for all sexuality based stories in sports for the 4 letter network, NBC sports and Fox Sports. If I were the agent of a mid-to-late-talent guy with this decision, I’d recommend the same course. First rounder? maybe not.

82. petehemlock says: Feb 9, 2014 9:33 PM

Is he really a defensive end? (couldn’t help myself)

83. rcali says: Feb 9, 2014 9:34 PM

Talking about hurting your draft status. Teams are learning they don’t need these type of distractions. See Kluwe.

84. unitasftw says: Feb 9, 2014 9:34 PM

Reports from outer sources say that Tom Brady has just divorced that one tall skinny super model chick. Wonder why? Anyway I heard the Pats are interested in Sam.

85. jburk003 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:37 PM

I applaud his bravery and support him 100%.

But from a business standpoint, he should have waited until after he signed a contract.

86. mykpfsu says: Feb 9, 2014 9:37 PM

“Some coaches, General Managers, and/or owners will be inclined to shy away from being the first locker room to welcome openly gay player, even if none would ever admit it.”

Just as some GM/Owners will be inclined to take him for the publicity.

87. hazelmn says: Feb 9, 2014 9:38 PM

If he can make my team better, I hope they draft him.

88. pftfan says: Feb 9, 2014 9:40 PM

Good for him. I hope he has a successful NFL career.

89. dynaco says: Feb 9, 2014 9:40 PM

The longerie league awaits with open arms.

90. beachsidejames says: Feb 9, 2014 9:40 PM

If its ok to make a media announcement that your gay then you better not suck on the field. After an announcement like that a draft bust would be kinda bad.

91. wildfan247 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:44 PM

Not a big deal until the media big deal…. Looks like it becoming a big deal…

92. hpeters77 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:45 PM

when i mention who i have sex with no one cares

93. honalulublue says: Feb 9, 2014 9:46 PM

Why not let girls play?

94. jbaxt says: Feb 9, 2014 9:46 PM

I’m just glad he didn’t makeup a cancer stricken dead girlfriend that he never met to cover up his sexuality.

95. it's all bs says: Feb 9, 2014 9:46 PM

eviltwin007 says:
    Feb 9, 2014 9:18 PM
    I just want to come out and say “I’M STRAIGHT”.
    __________________

ha ha ha U mad bro….cause u sound mad!!

96. sportsfan18 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:46 PM

I don’t see the Vikings drafting him!

97. kidsamoa260 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:47 PM

He’ll fit right in at the Miami dolphins locker room.

98. tomtravis76 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:47 PM

Should be more concerned about a draft prospect who continually brings home extra large women, his decision making skills might not be so good.

This is only a horrifying story to those over 40. Everyone else this this is just another person living his life.

99. uglydingo says: Feb 9, 2014 9:47 PM

There are estimated to be over 50 gay players in the NFL with players on most teams, including a few high profile stars. Hearty congrats on being the first gay guy to be open about it before the draft. I hope that he’s a good enough player to get drafted.

100. bearshaterseverywhere says: Feb 9, 2014 9:49 PM

I thought we went through this already with Clay Matthews….anyways, this makes no difference, what matters is if he can play.

101. sconnyslovethemsomecousins says: Feb 9, 2014 9:50 PM

thevikesarebest says:
    Feb 9, 2014 8:58 PM
    Most packer fans come out as diabetic.
    ———————————————-
    …and testing positive for gout.

102. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 9:50 PM

commonsensedude says:
    Feb 9, 2014 9:22 PM

____________________

Pretty funny considering in conservatives minds it’s still 1969.

103. kcflake says: Feb 9, 2014 9:53 PM

Don’t draft this guy chiefs.

104. reachmylevel says: Feb 9, 2014 9:54 PM

Hey thevikesarebest, I am a huge Viking fan, but your diabetic comment was a bit over the top IMO.

105. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 9:55 PM

eviltwin007 says:
    Feb 9, 2014 9:18 PM
    I just want to come out and say “I’M STRAIGHT”.

____________________

Did you get this upset when Drew Brees, his wife and kids were in a commercial together?

Eviltwin007: Mom, Drew Brees is shoving his heterosexual lifestyle at me again!!!!

106. armchairqb says: Feb 9, 2014 9:57 PM

Whatever team he ends up on automatically becomes the frontrunner for this year’s Hard Knocks.

107. therealraider says: Feb 9, 2014 9:58 PM

“At a time when NFL teams seem to be obsessed with avoiding distractions, here’s hoping that someone will see this as an opportunity to help get sports to the point where having an openly gay player isn’t regarded as a distraction. Ideally, here’s hoping that Sam ultimately is picked because he can help a team win games”

———————————————————-

Wait a minute, you hope that a team drafts him as a means to promote an agenda to change NFL culture.. but then contradict yourself by saying you hope a team drafts him because he is a good player and can help them win games.. we know you really prefer the latter half of your statement which isn’t going to happen because teams only care about winning, not promoting political ideals. so please if a team does draft them don’t label them as pioneers because they will only be doing what every team does, draft guys they think can help them win and nothing more.

108. fnc111 says: Feb 9, 2014 9:59 PM

He’ll get drafted. Then released during training camp because “he wasn’t good enough.”

109. gadgetdawg says: Feb 9, 2014 9:59 PM

More power to him. Now I am curious to see his Combine numbers.

110. kylecleric says: Feb 9, 2014 10:01 PM

Good for him.

111. richc111 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:03 PM

personally I don’t care. But you know what bothers me is when i clicked on the page i get news from this was their lead story. Give me a break! We are the only country in the world where minority causes rules the airwaves. Like the open gay Olympic athlete said about protesting in Russia, “no one cares over here” The only place people that care about this is over here in the US where we have so few problems this is our lead story. A college football player is gay. Cmon people is this really the biggest story today, and if you tell me it is, you are woefully mislead in your beliefs.

112. thefiesty1 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:04 PM

At least he won’t have multiple baby mommas like many of these jerks.

113. universalchurchoftruth says: Feb 9, 2014 10:05 PM

newenglandsports11 says:
    Feb 9, 2014 8:51 PM

————————————————–
    I haven’t seen where Priefer was proven to have said anything so you must have been in the Viking’s locker room to be calling him out as a bigot.

114. hurricanegrabowski says: Feb 9, 2014 10:07 PM

Not to be outdone, Aaron Rodgers is expected to have a press conference and to announce that he still isn’t gay, and he still really really likes women.

115. FlashPatterson says: Feb 9, 2014 10:08 PM

Sounds like a built-in excuse to me ala Chris Kluwe. I didn’t get drafted because I’m gay, I got cut because I’m gay, nobody will sign me.. etc. I really don’t get why this is information we need to know.

116. duece5 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:11 PM

hurricanegrabowski says: Feb 9, 2014 10:07 PM

duece5 says:

Well, he will SAY it, but with a wink, though!

117. honalulublue says: Feb 9, 2014 10:12 PM

Demand separate locker rooms! What a joke… Outed gays in locker rooms is screwed up.

118. duece5 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:13 PM

Gee, thanks PFT, we now have back to back liberal/progressive topics……the redskins name, and the gay player issue.

Up next, immigration reform, followed by gun control!

119. atwatercrushesokoye says: Feb 9, 2014 10:15 PM

This screams of a player that Bill Belichick will draft, he’s always picking value players that fall in the draft for one reason or another (some workout, some don’t) and frankly Michael Sam could really benefit from Belichick drafting him, reason being that he’s only going to care about whether you can help the team win or not, and you know he’s going to make sure the media and the players in the locker room know it’s a nonissue from day 1 and refuse to talk about it from that point on.

120. honalulublue says: Feb 9, 2014 10:16 PM

Next thing ya know QBs *will* actually be wearing dresses. Jack Lambert was prophetic.

121. skiski7 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:16 PM

As I read most of the comments on this article, it strikes me as odd how 90% are supporting this guy yet most of the posts state how the world is will not accept this. Is it me or am I living in the twilight zone. Also, is it me or did less then 4% of the human population hijack the rest of us to describe to me what is morally acceptable or not.

122. dretwann says: Feb 9, 2014 10:18 PM

Bigot: a person who is or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices ; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Thought I should provide the definition since too many people use the word to describe anyone with an opinion different from their own. Not liking or agreeing does not always equal hatred or prejudice. I think those who use the word in these arguments/comments do so to try and shame others. It’s childish. Just get over it. It’s simple: We don’t share the same opinion. It’s OK….really it is.

123. milwaukeeguy says: Feb 9, 2014 10:19 PM

I’m a life long Packer fan and yet I couldn’t help laughing at Vikesarebest’s comment. I had to give it a thumbs up.

As for Sam, nice job kid, that took a lot of courage
    since you did it with eyes wide open. The breathless, 24-hour media talking heads and blogs will beat it death and make it that much harder for him, but nevertheless here’s to hoping the kid has a successful NFL career.

124. cobaltdriver says: Feb 9, 2014 10:20 PM

Well judging by the comments, I can see that there is STILL nothing better to do in Minnesota than troll on PFT

125. backdapack4evr says: Feb 9, 2014 10:22 PM

I hope he goes to the lions!!
    Put him next to Riola!!!

126. pdominic33 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:23 PM

I look forward to the day when an announcement like this is NOT NEWS. It shouldn’t be. And this won’t affect his draft stock.

127. dirtysouthironmen says: Feb 9, 2014 10:23 PM

I bet whatever team drafts him will be the front runner for Hard Knocks.

128. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 10:24 PM

duece5 says:
    Feb 9, 2014 10:13 PM

Up next, immigration reform, followed by gun control!

___________________

You’re free to read another forum. Go read one that deals with science. It will explain to you that the world is not flat (like your bible says).

129. donschmidt72 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:25 PM

I wish this man along with the LBGT community would turn to the Lord and realize the danger of there ways. I could careless for myself if someone is gay but I do care for them that they are! Love the person hate the sin!! I fear for this mans safety if he does play on a team as he will be a target from some of the opposing teams players and maybe even some of their own. With that being said his main worry should be God and getting to heaven!! That’s the problem with America today too many people turning there back against God. Don’t believe me? Then I challenge you to learn about ancient Israel. It is amazing how history repeats itself!!

130. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 10:28 PM

skiski7 says:
    Feb 9, 2014 10:16 PM

____________________

It’s called advancing as a society. There’s a higher population of gay people than that. Many have to hide who they are because of people like you.

131. doctorrustbelt says: Feb 9, 2014 10:29 PM

This is a brave and genius move.

The NFL better draft him correctly as a gay All-American/SEC Defensive Player of the Year…. or…. they will pay dearly in court.

132. jabeus says: Feb 9, 2014 10:30 PM

taylorgangtrippymane says: Feb 9, 2014 9:04 PM

——————————-
    Actually, people do interviews “get to know this athlete”whats your favorite movie, car, or food..

you’re very right that he shouldn’t have to go on and state that he’s gay, but in the culture we live in it’s sad to say that we would make a even bigger deal out of it if he just showed up to an event with a boyfriend or husband.

professional athletes aren’t just in the spotlight on game days, its a 24/7 thing, it could be for charity event, interview, or even just a night out they’re lives are always on display, and he wants the world to know that hes proud of who he is and that society doesn’t have to act like a bunch of boneheads about it We all know who tom brady is married too, or who tiger woods flavor of the week is.. don’t tell me this dude should have to hide his personal life because he is gay!

133. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 9, 2014 10:30 PM

Soooo….what is Sam short for?

134. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 10:30 PM

dretwann says:
    Feb 9, 2014 10:18 PM

_________________

Not liking a group of people because they are a certain way absolutely makes you a bigot.

135. anthonybjones says: Feb 9, 2014 10:34 PM

I prefer cherry pie to apple pie. When’s my press conference?

136. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 9, 2014 10:35 PM

Mike won’t have to worry about the rednecks trash talking him. They can’t read.

137. mikelitoris1 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:35 PM

Just like the Bengals and Lions gravitate toward players of questionable character, a team who openly accepts lots of gays for who they are like the Cowgirls will have no qualms about drafting him.

138. honalulublue says: Feb 9, 2014 10:35 PM

Dirtysouthbuttlicker says

———————————————————

In fact it doesn’t. The Bible describes the Earth as a sphere. Read it sometime.

139. drsportsjock says: Feb 9, 2014 10:36 PM

Is Mike Sam’s sexuality sincere?

140. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 10:37 PM

donschmidt72 says:
    Feb 9, 2014 10:25 PM

_____________

Yeah, none of this is true.

141. joemac1114 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:37 PM

142. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 9, 2014 10:39 PM

If the earth isn’t flat, how come we don’t fall off, there Galileo?

143. brooklyn40niner says: Feb 9, 2014 10:40 PM

God I hope the 49ers don’t draft this kid even though San Francisco is the ideal place for this kid to start his career.

144. nyyjetsknicks says: Feb 9, 2014 10:40 PM

honalulublue says:
    Feb 9, 2014 10:35 PM
    Dirtysouthbuttlicker says

———————————————————

_______________
    Isaiah 11:12
    12 And he shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH. (KJV)

Revelation 7:1
    1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree. (KJV)

Job 38:13
    13 That it might take hold of the ENDS OF THE EARTH, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? (KJV)

I’m an atheist because I read the bible.

145. vegasgreek says: Feb 9, 2014 10:43 PM

The only team that might draft him is the SF 49′ers because San Francisco has a large gay population and they are a winning franchise that can handle any turmoil that eventually will die down. No way he goes to the Raiders because they are a team in constant rebuilding mode and they don’t need headaches from the media . Another team that would never draft him is the Green Bay Packers because they are too conservative a franchise and too small a market place to handle media scrunity .

146. savojah says: Feb 9, 2014 10:44 PM

Jonathan Martin tweets: Hats off to you Michael Sam, that takes some guts #respect

Really? Sam has 100x the guts you have. Rather have a guy on my team like him over you.

147. smarterfootball says: Feb 9, 2014 10:45 PM

Not entirely sure this affects his draft stock at all. It didn’t hurt Manti Two. Some coaches might even look at it as a positive. Good for this dude.

148. realdealsteel says: Feb 9, 2014 10:47 PM

Let me say this now so when it happens, it will not be a shock to anyone:

the NFL culture is a culture that is insulated from the “PC” drive of the rest of this country. You can’t force the acceptance of gay-ism on the NFL.

What is going to happen is that this guy will last until the very last round (at best) or he will not be drafted. Then, because of what happened, players won’t be coming out anymore.

Weather it wants to be admitted or not, the heterosexual masses are tired of gay-ism being forced on them thru TV and all forms of media. And regular guys in the NFL won’t stand for it being pushed on them and they can control their insulated environment.

People have a right to reject gay-ism just as people who are gay have rights to live and thrive in peace.

149. it's all bs says: Feb 9, 2014 10:47 PM

nyyjetsknicks says:
    Feb 9, 2014 10:30 PM
    _________________

exactly all I hear for the reasons from the haters is that their SEX is “icky”…..lol…..so that’s a reason to hate peeps….and BTW I bet these same dudes LOVE lesbians well only the hot ones of course……only thing is the real hot lesbians want nothing to do with these straight dudes….these guys have seen way too many porn movies…..hypocrites and BIGOTS is what I call them:)

150. jimmyt says: Feb 9, 2014 10:47 PM

Mr. Sam? Tom Brady on line one.

151. guachosporlife says: Feb 9, 2014 10:47 PM

He’ll fit right in with the NFL rules.

152. TylerHills says: Feb 9, 2014 10:50 PM

Go Michael Sam! Now my question is if he does move to LB in the NFL would he be a better fit at the Mike or Sam position.

153. xcflqb7 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:51 PM

I hope for his sake he can play and we can get back to football so the media will cease having its collective orgasm – the hard core reality is that it’s a non issue in women’s athletics where the percentage of gays is far greater than in the general population – and that is undoubtedly due to genetics.

154. thegreatgabbert says: Feb 9, 2014 10:59 PM

God wanted all people to be treated equally so he made the earth a level playing field.

155. ajgreenhof says: Feb 9, 2014 11:09 PM

I’d welcome him to the Bengals.

156. dartwick says: Feb 9, 2014 11:26 PM

Its going to take a real attention seeking owner to look past the team distraction aspect.

157. posmoo says: Feb 9, 2014 11:27 PM

*professional athletes aren’t just in the spotlight on game days, its a 24/7 thing, it could be for charity event, interview, or even just a night out they’re lives are always on display*

They all aren’t Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.
    The vast majority of the u.s. population couldn’t name 4 different nfl players if you offered them $5k; nevermind what this guy was likely to become before he came out as gay – a 4th round draft pick who pumped around the league for 3.5 years and no one outside of his own teams fans even new existed in first place. That’s what happens to the vast majority of 3-7th round picks each and every year. They are anonymous.

158. steve3211 says: Feb 9, 2014 11:45 PM

Thanks Dr. If anyone screams hatred and intolerance in this comment thread its nyyjetsknicks. His bigotry toward Christians on this thread is glaring. From what I see in these comments the vast majority are positive as they should be. No doubt many of the commenters are spiritual in one way or another and some I’m sure are not. He is the only one spewing vitriol on here. He is the ignorant bigot. Take it somewhere else, I’m sure Huff post has a sports section.

159. dougy1970 says: Feb 9, 2014 11:49 PM

All at matters is can he play. Aaron Rodgers is a star, so might this guy be.

160. fubar000 says: Feb 9, 2014 11:51 PM

This will be new territory for the NFL if he makes a team. Remember that openly gay kicker who been hoping to find a place in the NFL since ’12? Kinda makes me wonder if his sexual orientation may just slightly have anything to do with it. Just throwing it out there. Well I guess we’ll see with this guy this year

161. hauts81 says: Feb 9, 2014 11:52 PM

“Some coaches, General Managers, and/or owners will be inclined to shy away from being the first locker room to welcome (an) openly gay player, even if none would ever admit it.”

It wouldn’t be the first locker room to welcome him, though. Missouri’s locker room already took care of that.

162. wwwmattcom says: Feb 10, 2014 12:00 AM

He will eat skittles to represent.

163. coreyn23 says: Feb 10, 2014 12:04 AM

Aaron Rodgers called Ted Thompson today, to make sure he was aware that Michael Sam is a REALLY, REALLY GOOD player.

164. therealraider says: Feb 10, 2014 12:24 AM

@ nyyjetsknicks

The FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH refers to North, East, South and West.

165. thestatsishere says: Feb 10, 2014 12:31 AM

Now this is courageous

166. taintedsaints2009 says: Feb 10, 2014 12:32 AM

He is a linebacker named Mike Sam?

167. bukes111 says: Feb 10, 2014 12:33 AM

Deangelo Williams tweeted:

“I could care less about a man’s sexual preference! i care about winning games and being respectful in the locker room!”

Don’t have an issue w/ the tweet but the last point shows what the issue is. Players are afraid of how a gay man will behave in the locker room, not what he does outside it. The only thing is the NFL locker room is like a public mall w/ how many people are inside it. I’m sure many players have undressed in the presence of a gay reporter.

168. jc327 says: Feb 10, 2014 12:34 AM

Break down those walls, young man.

169. Dogsweat says: Feb 10, 2014 12:51 AM

San Francisco 49ers future draft pick.

170. briang123 says: Feb 10, 2014 12:53 AM

Good for him. Now I am interested in the gambling angles here. (I am the only, one that cares about gambling on the NFL, just as Kommisar Goodell). I’d like to get action on at what point during the draft telecast will ESPN start talking about Sam incessantly and speculating on when he will be picked. I say before pick 35.

171. coltzfan166 says: Feb 10, 2014 1:43 AM

Honestly, I would like for this guy to end up on my team. I think the Colts have the leadership from the players, coaches, and GM to welcome an openly gay player, and it shows a lot about the character of the organization as a whole.

And also, congrats to Michael. I’m glad someone has finally stepped up.

172. musketmaniac says: Feb 10, 2014 3:25 AM

brave, good luck.

173. johnnyoclock says: Feb 10, 2014 3:40 AM

The worst part about all the endless stories that will be written about him is this:

It’s actually the press that will make his life a living nightmare, not any fellow players.

174. louhudson23 says: Feb 10, 2014 3:50 AM

I believe I don’t know how to spell believe….

175. tedchaough says: Feb 10, 2014 5:07 AM

Learned behavior….it’s not genetically pre-determined, it’s a choice. I’m ok with it but why hide behind the “I was born this way” argument?

176. RetardotheGreat says: Feb 10, 2014 7:05 AM

Dont see his draft stock falling…He is fast and loves to hit tight ends.

177. audient says: Feb 10, 2014 7:11 AM

eviltwin007 says:
    Feb 9, 2014 9:18 PM
    I just want to come out and say “I’M STRAIGHT”.

———-

Because it isn’t just about who you have sex with in the privacy of your bedroom. It’s about who you chose to make a life with.

Presumably Michael Sam wants (or already has) someone special in his life that he makes a home with, a life with, even a family with. And if that partner is out in the open just like other player’s partners, then it won’t be a secret.

Instead of rumors flying, he is living out in the open, like most of the rest of us do. Except that when we straights do that, no one accuses us of flaunting our lifestyle in their face.

178. deathonwings410 says: Feb 10, 2014 7:17 AM

He’ll fit in in San Francisco or Miami.

179. sidepull says: Feb 10, 2014 7:28 AM

Good decision. His tell all book has to start somewhere after his playing days are over.
    Not only will he be signing with the NFL but probably with a publicist and a movie producer for the rights to tell his story.

180. mrp2003 says: Feb 10, 2014 7:36 AM

Like it or not, it will be a big concern for teams.
    players will have to watch everything they say to include joking about anything sexual even about women. Huge potential for harrasment complaints to include that the straight guys felt harrassed by the gay guy. Think about about it as a business risk, what would the team lawyers say, probably do not take the additional risk.

Showers and locker rooms now become an issue unless there are individual private showers.

I really hope the guy is a monster defensive player so that his sexuality never is an issue in the start of his career.

181. keltictim says: Feb 10, 2014 7:46 AM

I don’t want to read these comments and lose a lil more faith in humanity. If he had waited till after the draft I would have shredded him, but coming out before, well done kid.

182. brownsclown says: Feb 10, 2014 8:54 AM

With two draft picks to waste, Mike Dumbturdi has found his man!

183. longislandblitz says: Feb 10, 2014 9:13 AM

With the 5th pick in the draft……The Cleveland Browns select ……Michael Sam

184. dirtysouthironmen says: Feb 10, 2014 10:06 AM

honalulublue says:
    Feb 9, 2014 10:35 PM
    Dirtysouthbuttlicker says

——————————–

Honalulublue, I had nothing to do with this bible conversation.

nyyjetsknicks is the one who made that statement.

I will gladly accept your apology.

185. xxsweepthelegxx says: Feb 10, 2014 10:26 AM

tedchaough says:
    Feb 10, 2014 5:07 AM
    ————–
    I’m a straight, white male with a wife and kids. Life is “easy” for guys like me in the USA. Being gay, man or women, has not been looked at as equal. It’s come a long way, but it’s not there yet.

Why would someone “choose” the harder path in life? The more scrutinized? Etc?

He was a Division I athelete, probably a pretty popular dude in highschool as most big time athletes are. I’m sure he could have had many different relationships with women in highschool/college if he wanted to right? Why choose the harder path?

Doesn’t make sense to me. Sounds like he was “born this way.”

186. dadofthedecade says: Feb 10, 2014 10:36 AM

Good for him. I’m excited for the day when it doesn’t matter, and proud of Sam for pushing the world a little closer to that ideal.

For those hating on him, perhaps you protest too much?

187. JackedUpSports says: Feb 10, 2014 10:49 AM

Congratulations to Michael. It’s time for a culture change

188. upperdecker19 says: Feb 10, 2014 10:52 AM

He’s SUPER! Thanks for asking.

189. warhammer420 says: Feb 10, 2014 11:13 AM

I applaud his courage.

190. reeggss says: Feb 10, 2014 11:44 AM

I applaud him but I hope this isn’t turned around after the draft as the reason he slipped is because teams stayed away due to his sexuality.
    Too much money in this league and too many jobs on the line for GM’s to worry about sexual preference. If anything the media circus will play a factor.

191. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Feb 10, 2014 11:51 AM

Sam lacks the size to play DE in the NFL and is making a switch to OLB which will lead to him likely falling in the draft. But expect liberal sports writers (you know who you are) to say it is because he came out.

You can’t handle the truth.

192. stevent92 says: Feb 10, 2014 3:28 PM

Awaiting AJ McCarron’s news conference announcing he is straight.

193. mediasloppy says: Feb 10, 2014 4:43 PM

Why do all the haters of this young man act like they are victims. If you keep your bigotry silent these posts wouldn’t be the media frenzy you make them out to be.

194. sopadegato says: Feb 10, 2014 4:56 PM

Perhaps it is the cynic in me talking, but this seems like an attempt to garner some media attention to raise his draft stock. That just might backfire.

195. pinoyviking says: Feb 11, 2014 4:17 AM

Michael Sam came out last year to his team. Any scouts etc. would know this information. The local media knew about him. He is indeed making himself a distraction, I don’t recall seeing any 3-5th round draft prospect leading news. I’m not saying he should hide who he is, but he’s not innocent either in this circus. Whatever team he lands on will be flooded with press/activists and you’ll get variants of this all year: Are you/has anyone made you feel uncomfortable? Do you think your depth chart placement/contract/etc is because…

196. defscottyb says: Feb 11, 2014 4:51 AM

Guy is trying to be the Jackie Robinson of the gays.

197. defscottyb says: Feb 11, 2014 4:55 AM

Don’t ask don’t tell was such a great concept. Who cares if you are gay or not. Just do your job.

198. defscottyb says: Feb 12, 2014 4:34 AM

If he ever gets cut there will be a discrimination lawsuit guaranteed.

199. Robert says: Feb 13, 2014 6:08 PM

With the 30th pick, the San Francisco 49ers draft…………Michael Sam!

200. eleventyeight says: Feb 13, 2014 11:34 PM

Isn’t the whole “gay” thing played out yet?

Get it?

“Played”? “Out”?

Yup- it’s officially too pun-ny for words.

Played.Out.

201. Ed Bandell says: Feb 15, 2014 4:36 PM

“joemac1114 says: Feb 9, 2014 10:37 PM

The only thing we as fans or league people should be concerned with is can he play. Who he loves is none of our business.”

He kind of made it everyone’s business, now didn’t he?

I didn’t exactly go up to him and ask him. I didn’t do some sort of investigative report on him. Nope, I simply turned on my TV one day to the NFL Network and was trying to catch some news about what my favorite team might be doing…and here is this headline report. Since that day, it has been on every NFL or sports related show EVERY DAY, on other talk shows EVERY DAY. I mean, I can’t get away from it now if I wanted to. The only way I can’t make it my business is to bury my head in the sand, not read any newspapers, listen to any talk radio, or watch any sports programming.

Did I do that? I wouldn’t even know who Sam is unless my team drafted him if it wasn’t for this story. I personally don’t care who he likes. That’s his business, but now he made it everyone’s business and there aren’t a whole lot of tolerant people out there.